Old 10-14-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Wasn't Custer last in his class at West Point?
If we can indulge some Minutmen lyrics here

I believe when they found the body of General George A. Custer
Quilled like a porcupine with Indian arrows
He didn't die with any honor, any dignity, or any valor

I believe when they found George A. Custer
An American general, patriot, and Indian-fighter
He died with shit in his pants!
Old 10-14-2018, 12:32 PM

Custer's Last View ~ Link to Gary Larson comic.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:18 PM

Old joke:

An art patron commissions a portrait of Custer. The artist, no fan of George Armstrong, turns in a painting of a golden calf, surrounded by a group of fornicating Native Americans.

When the patron complained, the artist explained it was a depiction of Custer's last thought: "Holy cow! Look at all those fucking Indians!"
Old 10-14-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
President Trump says "Robert E. Lee was a great general" during Ohio rally, calling the Confederate leader "incredible."

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-gi...oped-a-phobia/
Now he's claiming that

Quote:
NBC News has totally and purposely changed the point and meaning of my story about General Robert E Lee and General Ulysses Grant. Was actually a shoutout to warrior Grant and the great state in which he was born. As usual, dishonest reporting. Even mainstream media embarrassed!

linky
Old 10-14-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I certainly don't want the cretin's child to be the new ambassador; however, I dearly want the cretin to officially nominate her for that position. Not even Trump's second most ardent supporter* would roll over and play dead for that stunt. I'm hoping that, at long last, that would be something that'll get him chased out of office.

*You know full well he, himself, is his most ardent supporter.
I think you're underestimating how much his followers esteem him. Why wouldn't they think the fruit of the Holy One's loins wouldn't be a great ambassador to the UN?
Old 10-14-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Now he's claiming that

linky
"They reported what I said, and that makes me look bad! So unfair!"
Old 10-14-2018, 02:41 PM

Can we stop pretending that the White House visitors and other hangers on to this abomination of an administration who happen to flash an OK sign are not doing it in solidarity with white nationalists? Notice the sign that nearly every single one of them is flashing in this picture (fifth down) before they started a fight the other night in New York.

They aren't saying, "OK", they're saying we are racists who are emboldened by an overtly racist regime. And so are the all the other ones who have done it and pretended it was just a coincidence.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Can we stop pretending that the White House visitors and other hangers on to this abomination of an administration who happen to flash an OK sign are not doing it in solidarity with white nationalists? Notice the sign that nearly every single one of them is flashing in this picture (fifth down) before they started a fight the other night in New York.

They aren't saying, "OK", they're saying we are racists who are emboldened by an overtly racist regime. And so are the all the other ones who have done it and pretended it was just a coincidence.
Thanks for that second article. That was a good background on the use of the OK gesture by white supremacists. I still occasionally use it in its original meaning, but I've been trying to remember to use the thumbs up instead.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
"They reported what I said, and that makes me look bad! So unfair!"
The cure for that is to keep your mouth shut and your phone in another room. As if.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Thanks for that second article. That was a good background on the use of the OK gesture by white supremacists. I still occasionally use it in its original meaning, but I've been trying to remember to use the thumbs up instead.
Using it in its original context is fine. It's this BS way they are doing it, but pretending that they aren't when they get called out on it. Just own your racism if that's your thing, but the attempts to play naive and gaslight around this childishness is tiresome.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:04 AM

Nixon: "I am not a crook!"
Thump: "I am not a baby." (60 Minutes interview)

Glad we cleared that up.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
but I've been trying to remember to use the thumbs up instead.

Give it a while--they'll co-opt that one, too.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:38 AM

Classic comment from Jim Wright (Stonekettle guy), in response to Shitgibbon tweet
On our way to Florida and Georgia!
If you're in the project path, get out now. Red tides, hurricanes, now this. Disasters really do come in threes.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shitgibbon tweet
On our way to Florida and Georgia!
I'm impressed he didn't add "Woohoo! Road trip!"
Old 10-15-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I'm impressed he didn't add "Woohoo! Road trip!"
Sources reported the trip was delayed when an argument broke out over who called shotgun first.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:21 PM

Elizabeth Warren called Trump's bluff by taking a DNA test which reveals she does have Native American blood. When Leslie Stahl asked him in her interview last night if he was going to pay the $1 million to Warren's favorite charity, like he said he would if she proved she was of Native American descent, he said, "I never said that.' Uh, yeah, there's video, chump.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:00 PM

Trump has a new painting put up in the White House of dogs playing poker. Uh, I mean, Trump (thirty pounds lighter and thirty years younger) sitting around drinking and laughing with past Republican Presidents. I notice Cal Coolidge standing in the wings, I guess he didn't make the grownups table.
https://twitter.com/jbillinson/statu...e%2Findex.html
Old 10-15-2018, 03:02 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Trump has a new painting put up in the White House of dogs playing poker. Uh, I mean, Trump (thirty pounds lighter and thirty years younger) sitting around drinking and laughing with past Republican Presidents. I notice Cal Coolidge standing in the wings, I guess he didn't make the grownups table.
https://twitter.com/jbillinson/statu...e%2Findex.html
The others are obviously laughing their asses off because they know they're going to take him for all he's worth.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
The others are obviously laughing their asses off because they know they're going to take him for all he's worth.
You really they'd play for such little gain?
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
Old 10-15-2018, 11:18 PM

Yesterday, Trump called James Mattis a "Democrat", and wouldn't say whether Mattis is going to be keeping his job.
So today, the Pentagon held a press conference. The press got ready to ask Mattis questions about what Trump said.
Instead, the Pentagon sent actor Gerard Butler to answer questions.
https://www.palmerreport.com/analysi...-mattis/13439/
Old 10-15-2018, 11:37 PM

It's as if whomever is writing Reality's script is aiming for a remake of the Truman show, or that dimension the Baby X-Men came from. One of these days we're going to find out Mojo has been organizing Earth, after ousting a previous spineless one who had a less, uh, creative mindset than he does.
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Yesterday, Trump called James Mattis a "Democrat", and wouldn't say whether Mattis is going to be keeping his job.
So today, the Pentagon held a press conference. The press got ready to ask Mattis questions about what Trump said.
Instead, the Pentagon sent actor Gerard Butler to answer questions.
https://www.palmerreport.com/analysi...-mattis/13439/
I read someplace (sorry, no cite) that thump sees hiring people in his so-called administration in terms of "casting." He's casting people to appear in the reality show about himself. In light of that, we can probably expect to see more and more actors in roles formerly held by civil servants.

ETA: In searching for a cite for what I just wrote, I came across this article that is supportive of that idea (though not the one I was looking for). As always, mind-boggling. He REALLY is running the presidency like a reality TV show. That's not a metaphor or analogy. That's exactly how he's doing it.
Quote:
(CNN)The best way to understand Donald Trump's presidency is this: He views himself as the producer and star of a daily reality show, a show in which the only connection from day to day is the presence of Trump himself.

Any attempt to connect the dots -- from a policy or strategic perspective -- between yesterday and today or even from month to month -- is a fool's errand; Trump does what he wants, generally speaking, every day. If he latches on to something he thinks is working, he, like a good reality TV show executive, does more of it.

And, of late, Trump has moved into an even more high-profile starring role -- even as he steps up his producing involvement as well.

Which brings me to the last few weeks -- in which Trump is leaning very hard into his dual role as producer and star.

Beginning in late September with his press conference at the United Nations general assembly meetings in New York, Trump has been on a streak of campaign rallies, impromptu press chats, media interviews and staged events seemingly designed to draw buzz and attention as opposed to drive any sort of broader message.

Take this week alone.....
The article goes on to describe the discrete media events that thump has created to keep himself and his "show" in the spotlight with no other goal or longer perspective than that day's ratings. I think Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large has finally cracked the code. Give the world's biggest (well, maybe not THE biggest) narcissist the world's biggest stage and watch him dance. But what he really is is the world's biggest puppet, and the strings are being pulled and played by the Republicans who have waited decades for a guy this egotistical and this STUPID. Someone who can be manipulated with flattery, headlines, and spotlights. Thump is being used and we are all being abused.

God, thump is a dumb as a box of toupees. He doesn't have a fucking clue what being President of the United States means. It becomes clearer and clearer every day. And he doesn't know that he is being played like a fiddle.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; Yesterday at 07:33 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM

Because he's convinced that HE'S the manipulator, and every other person in existence is being manipulated.

It's a case of political solipsism
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

He seems to be succeeding in framing it classically episodic. Like, say, Gilligan's Island, where you can watch any episode at any time without having to rely on any other episode for background. To quote Janis, “It's all the same fucking day”.
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
He seems to be succeeding in framing it classically episodic. Like, say, Gilligan's Island, where you can watch any episode at any time without having to rely on any other episode for background. To quote Janis, “It's all the same fucking day”.
That's so right. There's no carry-over, no plot thread, no story arc, no continuity. He says something one day, takes it back the next without apology or explanation. Today's enemies are tomorrow's friends and vice versa. The only thing that matters is that day's ratings.
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Nixon: "I am not a crook!"
Thump: "I am not a baby." (60 Minutes interview)

Glad we cleared that up.
That "interview" was a real dumpster fire.
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Elizabeth Warren called Trump's bluff by taking a DNA test which reveals she does have Native American blood. When Leslie Stahl asked him in her interview last night if he was going to pay the $1 million to Warren's favorite charity, like he said he would if she proved she was of Native American descent, he said, "I never said that.' Uh, yeah, there's video, chump.
He has NEVER paid a debt in his life. Just ask any contractors and workers from way back in the 70s/80s/90s in New York and New Jersey. He was famous as a deadbeat then. He still owes Obama money over the birth certificate too. Nothing has changed.

#DonneiDeadbeat
Old Today, 10:58 AM

Shitgibbon calls the Federal Reserve his biggest threat – the most excellent, bestest judge of character appointed the Fed chairman himself.
Old Today, 11:45 AM

Yeah but in his defense, he didn't know what the Fed chair was.
Old Today, 01:11 PM

Is it just me or does it appear that the president is involved in the coverup of a murder in order to protect the income coming into his private businesses from the murderers?
Old Today, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
He has NEVER paid a debt in his life. Just ask any contractors and workers from way back in the 70s/80s/90s in New York and New Jersey. He was famous as a deadbeat then. He still owes Obama money over the birth certificate too. Nothing has changed.

#DonneiDeadbeat
Which brings up something else: I again checked the Trump University Litigation website, and apparently they have still not begun making payments.

A question for the legal types: How much vetting of claimants in a class action suit happens before the suit is filed and during the time in which its tried or arbitrated? It seems to me that the defense has a strong motivation to vet the claimants prior to any settlement. After all, the plaintiffs surely claim that xx thousand people were harmed by the actions of the defendant to the tune of $yyy million. Don't the defendants have a strong motivation to be able to counter with the fact that zz% of the people in the class are there fraudulently?

If the claimants were already vetted, why is it taking so long to get checks to them?
Old Today, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Is it just me or does it appear that the president is involved in the coverup of a murder in order to protect the income coming into his private businesses from the murderers?
Yes, it appears that way, but the two are not connected.
Old Today, 01:34 PM

If I missed earlier in the thread, this really hurts my head:
Marc Thiessen at WaPo
(The Shitgibbon) may be remembered as the most honest president in modern American history. Don’t get me wrong, (Shitgibbon) lies all the time. … But when it comes to the real barometer of presidential truthfulness — keeping his promises — (Shitgibbon) is a paragon of honesty. For better or worse, since taking office (Shitgibbon) has done exactly what he promised he would.
(name replaced for my own comfort)

Last edited by eschereal; Today at 01:36 PM.
Old Today, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Everything? Huh. That wall must be invisible.

Last edited by Skywatcher; Today at 01:37 PM.
Old Today, 01:41 PM

Quote:
If I missed earlier in the thread, this really hurts my head:
Marc Thiessen at WaPo
(The Shitgibbon) may be remembered as the most honest president in modern American history. Don’t get me wrong, (Shitgibbon) lies all the time. … But when it comes to the real barometer of presidential truthfulness — keeping his promises — (Shitgibbon) is a paragon of honesty. For better or worse, since taking office (Shitgibbon) has done exactly what he promised he would.
(name replaced for my own comfort)
Yeah, and that wonderful Universal Health Plan that covers pre-existing conditions must still be in the works.

heck "delivers everything he promised" only holds true if you're a Republican who doesn't care about things not on his wishlist. Trump has broken a score of his campaign promises.
It was then that he noticed that the Thing in the room with him consisted of a mass of hideously twisting tentacles and pseudopods, writhing in all directions, each of them an unworldly shade of green or yellow, with a nacreous glossy sheen.
---The Call of Chihuli
Old Today, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Everything? Huh. That wall must be invisible.
The op-ed basically says, “not for lack of trying” (not quite verbatim, but close enough).
Old Today, 02:49 PM

Quote:
It's impossible to say how Trump's business is connected to Saudi Arabia, since ... oh yeah ... he refused to divest or release his taxes.

So the more accurate and undeniably true statement is that he's happy to rationalize a brutal murder in order to justify arms deals that only benefit Boeing, Raytheon, etc.
Old Today, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Trump has broken a score of his campaign promises.
I prefer to think of those as "campaign threats". He does have an alarming record of delivering on his threats.

And he also delivered on awful stuff completely out of the blue, never mentioned in the course of the campaign -- like breaking diplomatic relations with Cuba. He's just a gift that keeps on giving.
Old Today, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The op-ed basically says, “not for lack of trying” (not quite verbatim, but close enough).
WTF? That's true of every POTUS.
Old Today, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
heck "delivers everything he promised" only holds true if you're a Republican who doesn't care about things not on his wishlist. Trump has broken a score of his campaign promises.
Exactly.
Old Today, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
It's impossible to say how Trump's business is connected to Saudi Arabia, since ... oh yeah ... he refused to divest or release his taxes.

So the more accurate and undeniably true statement is that he's happy to rationalize a brutal murder in order to justify arms deals that only benefit Boeing, Raytheon, etc.

He’s quoted as saying that he likes Saudi Arabia because of how much of his real estate they buy.
Old Today, 03:01 PM

Khashoggi was originally barred from writing, or appearing on TV or tweeting in Saudi Arabia because he was being critical of Trump. You really think Trump is now concerned that he was chopped up into pieces? He's probably got a celebration event scheduled the next time he flies over to fondle another glowing orb.