Old 04-10-2020, 05:36 AM

Is this a good time to buy a new vehicle?

Obviously sales are plummeting, but I don't know if that necessarily translates into lower purchase prices for new vehicles.

And if so, now? Or in the future?

Thanks,

mmm
Old 04-10-2020, 07:03 AM

Other than the fact that it's not a good time for any unnecessary human contact?
Old 04-10-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Obviously sales are plummeting, but I don't know if that necessarily translates into lower purchase prices for new vehicles.

And if so, now? Or in the future?

Thanks,

mmm
GM will be making ventilators but they still should have inventory. Watch TV for ads...LA Times says yes.

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...rs-coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
Other than the fact that it's not a good time for any unnecessary human contact?
"One of the best-kept secrets of car buying is that most dealerships will deliver your new car to you at your home or office. This helps you avoid what could be hours of waiting at a dealership.

How do you arrange at-home delivery? Just ask."

That supposes that you know which car you want, don't need a test drive, etc. I just saw an AD yesterday for a service like that but I think it was for used cars.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/n...-delivery.html

The LA Times article says

“Dealers are desperate to generate revenue,” said Sheldon Sandler, who runs a car-dealer consulting service in Princeton, N.J. “You can expect extremely good deals from anyone who can deliver you a car.”
Old 04-10-2020, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Most state DMV's are closed, no title work, no new cars.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerigger View Post
Doesn't that just mean you can drive on temp tags until they open back up?
Old 04-10-2020, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAlecCat View Post
Doesn't that just mean you can drive on temp tags until they open back up?
It does in Missouri. Everything's been extended two months.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomyboy63 View Post
"One of the best-kept secrets of car buying is that most dealerships will deliver your new car to you at your home or office. This helps you avoid what could be hours of waiting at a dealership.
I've seen lots of commercials from the auto brands for at home car shopping, with no-contact delivery of the vehicle and no-contact drop-off at the dealership service department.

Car sales are way down, so it's possible that you could get a really good deal right now that you would not get in normal times.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:11 AM

The local Subaru dealer apparently keeps a stock of license plates ready for the convenience of buyers.

As far as Is it a good time to to buy, idk, the sales staff were all sent home in fact were told to clear out your desk completely and don’t come back.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:53 AM

I don't know all the fine print, but Dodge is advertising 84 month interest free loans. If it's available on a car you want, even if you have to pay MSRP, that's a hell of a deal.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:55 AM

Does the magic 8 ball say you're going to keep your job?

If so, sure. If not, no big purchase is a good idea right now.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Does the magic 8 ball say you're going to keep your job?

If so, sure. If not, no big purchase is a good idea right now.
Yes, I have a very secure job. Good point.

Also, I have it narrowed down to 2 or 3 specific vehicles. I know that most everything can be arranged without in-person contact - which is why I asked - but the test-driving aspect did not occur to me.

mmm
Old 04-10-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
When I bought a new car last year the dealer submitted all the necessary paperwork to the DMV and printed out a temporary tag. No need for me to visit the DMV in person. I suppose there would be a delay in the DMV actually processing your registration, and thus a delay in getting your permanent plates, but hopefully they'll extend the expiration of the temporary tags to accomodate people in that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTim View Post
I don't know all the fine print, but Dodge is advertising 84 month interest free loans. If it's available on a car you want, even if you have to pay MSRP, that's a hell of a deal.
A good deal if you think you'll be keeping the vehicle that long. But I've always heard that financing a car for that long can be risky, since you can easily end up in a situation where you own more than the car is worth. If, say, you end up wrecking it a year from now, you might end up having to continue making payments on a car you no longer own, while also making payments on a new car.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 04-10-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
A good deal if you think you'll be keeping the vehicle that long. But I've always heard that financing a car for that long can be risky, since you can easily end up in a situation where you own more than the car is worth. If, say, you end up wrecking it a year from now, you might end up having to continue making payments on a car you no longer own, while also making payments on a new car.
Isn't that what new car replacement value insurance is for?
Old 04-10-2020, 03:26 PM

The problem is that essentially with any new car loan your underwater as soon as you drive off the lot. The longer the loan, the lower the principal payments, the longer you're underwater. Whcih is also especially bad if you want to trade in your car before you've made all payments.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:42 PM

You may be able to do "contactless test drives" too. A friend in our neighborhood needs to replace her car and apparently dealerships around here on board with dropping the car off at your house so you can do a test drive at your own convenience. And all the paperwork, etc. could be done electronically.

Even before this pandemic I've been surprised at how casual the test drive process is. Most dealerships when I last bought a car were happy for me to take the car on my own, some even offering to let me keep it for a day or two. I guess getting used to it on that time scale correlates with just wanting to purchase it permanently ...
Old 04-10-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
The problem is that essentially with any new car loan your underwater as soon as you drive off the lot. The longer the loan, the lower the principal payments, the longer you're underwater. Whcih is also especially bad if you want to trade in your car before you've made all payments.
Right. We're in a position where we've paid cash for all our car purchases. But if the purchase price was equal I might under the current circumstances go for the interest free loan and just stash the cash away somewhere safe. That gives you a little more liquidity and options in case your income vanishes.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:57 PM

OP: Do you remember the "Cash for Clunkers" program of 11 years ago?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_for_clunkers

There is a reasonable possibility Congress will do an incentive type program in this recession. So you might wait so either you can get it or you are sure it is not going to happen.

Last edited by PastTense; 04-10-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
OP: Do you remember the "Cash for Clunkers" program of 11 years ago?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_for_clunkers

There is a reasonable possibility Congress will do an incentive type program in this recession. So you might wait so either you can get it or you are sure it is not going to happen.
I agree there's uncertainty about further incentives, whether from the govt or the manufacturers, as and if a sales drought drags on.

Also, obviously, car pricing is still pretty opaque even if not quite as much as it once was. Some people are pretty on top of whether they are getting a good deal, but even for them there's generally some doubt at the margin. And a lot of people still aren't on top of it at all, especially when you bring in loans or leases. Which affects whether it's necessarily a good idea to buy just because you think the situation 'should' yield you a good deal.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:30 PM

I've been casually looking for a new truck. One model that interested me is the Chevy Silverado 1500 with the Custom Trail Boss trim. Nice truck, but Chevy doesn't make the newer safety equipment, such as blind spot monitoring, available on the lower trim levels. In order to get that feature, you need to move up to the LT Trail Boss trim level for a few thousand dollars more. And even that doesn't get you the blind spot monitoring, you have to add not one but two option packages to get it. So you end up looking at paying about $5-6 thousand more for a safety feature that is probably worth maybe $600 on its own. I was emailing back and forth with a local dealer about this. He asked if I would consider a GMC, he had one on the lot that had everything I wanted and much more. Sticker price $65k, $59k after assorted discounts. He asked what my range was, and I said $40-42k, which was why I was looking at the Chevy with the Custom trim.

So I don't really need a new truck, but if auto sales go in the tank in a bad way, I may just call back in a couple of weeks and offer the $42k for the GMC. I know that there is a ton of profit on these trucks, but I wonder how low they would go if they get into a cash crunch?
Old 04-11-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
...So I don't really need a new truck, but if auto sales go in the tank in a bad way, I may just call back in a couple of weeks and offer the $42k for the GMC. I know that there is a ton of profit on these trucks, but I wonder how low they would go if they get into a cash crunch?
This is really my fundamental question. Will there be significant savings buying in April or May vs. October or November (historical best months to buy)?

I get that nobody knows for sure, just looking for opinions.

mmm
Old 04-11-2020, 09:11 AM

It's still pretty early, I wouldn't expect most dealerships to be in a dire situation yet. If this goes on for another month or two, that may change. I wonder, though, if discounts in the 25-30% range are possible on high margin vehicles. In my case, someone will probably buy that GMC at a price over $50k, thinking they have a good deal (and it would be). Factories are shut down, so excess inventory isn't going to be a pressure to sell cheap.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
also check if your insurance company is working.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Also, banks and credit unions. If a car is financed the bank must place it's lien on the title, with a lot of dmv's closed I doubt a bank would issue a loan under those circumstances.

Last edited by Icerigger; 04-11-2020 at 11:58 AM.