Old 05-04-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
What constitutes "a team built around Cho-Gall"? I mean, just having Cho-Gall at all ties up 40% of your hero choices. And I can think of things that counter him (anything that does a percentage of a hero's life in damage), but I can't think of any healers that heal a teammate for a percentage of their life, or the like.
Auriel is the best healer for Cho'gall because she gets double energy from him. Cho'gall also has very little in the way of CC or chase, so characters who can help him facilitate kills are very useful. I particularly like having a Butcher along for the ride.

Quote:
And still no answer on what voicelines, sprays, banners, and emojis are for?
They do nothing useful. You can use them during a match. Press "x" during the game to bring up a wheel. Banners pop up when you take a keep or a camp.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:55 PM

Auriel is sort of broken with Cho-Gall because her energy charges based on the damage output of both players. In QM, Cho-Gall is almost unplayable without her but pretty good with her.

The new cosmetics are something you can manually use in the game by hitting various keys. T puts your spray under the ground where you're standing, I (I think) plays your voice line to near by players, and your banner deploys when you've done certan things like capture a merc camp or destroyed a fort.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 05-04-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
That's pretty much happened.

There are two pretty well known streamers who had a friendly tournament of their subscribers played each other at their respective ranks. So bronze would play bronze, etc. At the GM level one team drafted pure supports while the other did a meta team, and the support team won pretty handedly.

So I'm not ashamed.
Next time we have 5 people then let's do the all support thing and see how it goes. If we get stomped then will there be shame?
Old 05-04-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Next time we have 5 people then let's do the all support thing and see how it goes. If we get stomped then will there be shame?
Eh. We get stomped all the time. I've ran out of shame.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Ah, OK, I went on hiatus before Auriel was introduced, so I'm not familiar with her (and why, of all the Diablo characters they could have added, did they go with an NPC who does almost nothing in the game?).

On the other hand, I absolutely love that they've added a protoss probe hero. I'm definitely going to be trying him out. And even if it turns out that he sucks, I still love that they added him.

I'm still waiting to see Eirena, General Warfield, Tosh, and Karax get added to the lineup, too.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:31 PM

So I'm at gold 3 because even though I won 8 of my placement matches the last 2 season, it barely moved me up and I don't play enough hero league to get the damn thing to let me move up. But it's funny because my hidden MMR is clearly way too high for my league, because I keep getting put on a team with gold 1/plat 5 players yet I'm the crown which means I have the highest MMR from 2-3 divisions below them. But I gotta grind out the ranked games to actually get there.

I have what might be my most dominating non-vikings game in hero league. 46% siege damage, 41% team damage, highest XP by far, no deaths - I'm stuck in the gold leagues and I can just wreck them.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:10 PM

And... the other side of the coin. The next game we've got Azmo, guldan, artanis, dehaka - solid team - and our #5 guy insta-locks medivh. There was no call for that. We didn't do anything to deserve it. No one was shit talking. He just decided to throw the game.

The sad thing is that we were so good that we almost overcame it. It as a 25 minute match on towers of doom that we barely lost. Which means that if he had picked any healer at all, we would've won easily. We almost overcame his shittiness.

He wasn't even a good medivh.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:18 AM

I really like Nova. I know she's currently in a bad spot, but her "fantasy" as a long-range stealth ambusher who can pick off isolated targets is really good right now. I go on binges with her, and 2.0 gave me access to some of her cool skins (if she doesn't have the most skins of any character, she's a top contender).

Anyway, lots of people are playing Valeera, and she is a titanium-hard counter to Nova. After a few times playing the role of "Valeera's dinner" in QM I decided to give the new hotness a shot.

What a dumb character. I don't even know what I'm doing with her. I just pop into stealth, open with any of the three abilities, and then mash buttons while my damage output ticks ever upwards. Get it in trouble? No worries: pop your stealth whenever you damn well please. Nova can't do that until level 20, and it's on a 60-second cooldown.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. And I didn't even play her before her recent nerf.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:47 PM

At some point a while back they did a rework in which all stuns had a shorter duration because they figured out having people not control their characters was not very fun gameplay. They unlearned that lesson with Valeera's long ass stun and Varians various ways of making sure you can't control yourself (he was worse in this regard at launch).

Valeera without the stun would be reasonable enough, I think, but being able to stun you and do so much damage while you're stunned is pretty toxic to gameplay.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:59 PM

Valeera's a QM stomper. She isn't great in HL where you can draft around her and counter her pretty hard. In QM either someone has a counter and she's worthless. Or someone doesn't and she stomps.

I hate her character. I also hate the "unrevealable" mechanic.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I was wondering about that, myself. Double-secret-stealth? Revealers are uncommon enough, and stealth is uncommon enough too, that it really doesn't seem like there should be a counter to revealers. Stealth, of course, is always useful. Revealing, though, is only useful when you're dealing with stealth, and it carries opportunity costs, and all it does is restore the normal state (lack of stealth, like almost all heroes have).
Old 05-11-2017, 04:18 PM

I challenge any of you to die 29 times in one game.

It's actually really difficult since if you're feeding that hard the game will usually be over before you can possibly die that much, but this one dragged and somehow this guy managed it. 29. I think my highest ever is 14.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

But hey, he totally rocked the "damage taken" statistic!
Old 05-11-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
Valeera's a QM stomper. She isn't great in HL where you can draft around her and counter her pretty hard. In QM either someone has a counter and she's worthless. Or someone doesn't and she stomps.

I hate her character. I also hate the "unrevealable" mechanic.
Hear, hear! I know the stealth characters have always been somewhat annoying, but for my money, none have been as bad as Valeera (except maybe really old Nova back when she could instapop people). She combines the "huge damage from stealth" that Nova and Zeratul have along with the "unrevealable" bullshit that Samuro has. At least Samuro doesn't have the huge spike of damage to go along with it. She can also instantly enter stealth like him (whereas Nova and Zeratul have to wait for the perma-stealth to cooldown, and taking damage resets it) On top of that, she also has a stun and silence (whereas the other two only have slows), and can hit the target from sizeable range if she takes the Death From Above talent at 13. Yeah, she's easily counterable in draft mode, but god does she completely kill any fun in QM.

Varian's almost as bad, too... makes me wonder if there's instrinsically something flawed about trying to port over the WoW kits.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:15 AM

I soloqueued into QM as Nova (someone help me, I can't stop) the other day. The enemy team was a four-stack of supports (Tyrande, Tassadar, Uther, Kharazim) and a random Gul'dan. They all went for damage builds. The map was Hanamura.

It was actually pretty funny. If Tassadar had taken some oracle talents, he could have shut me down. He didn't. If Kharazim and Uther had gone for their respective protective heroics they could've shut me down, but they didn't. So I actually had an excuse, a great excuse, to pick Triple Tap.

Fish in a barrel, man. All I had to do was wait for Tassadar's oracle to drop and attack whoever didn't have the shield. Pew pew pew. They didn't have nearly enough tools to save themselves from heavy burst damage.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:45 AM

In my last 7 hero league matches, I have had this interaction 3 times now.

[8-12 minutes in. They're slightly ahead, maybe 1 fort ahead, or 1 level ahead, or we just lost a teamfight]

"lol gg"

"it's early, we're fine"

"no, [some particular player or 2] sucks, it's over, gg"

"if you keep typing instead of playing it'll be over, so just play"

"lol no, waste of time"

We then proceed to lose because that player is intentionally trying to tank the game. We lose.

"lol told you it was gg"

So I'm not high in HL. My MMR is at gold 1 / plat 5 territory (I keep getting the crown in a team of gold 1s), but I thought I was going to get clear of that shit when I got out of wood league. How the fuck does someone maintain a gold/plat level of play if they throw the game on purpose every time you're behind? If anything this game has comeback mechanics that are too generous, so giving up after 8-10 minutes is always stupid.

But it's pathetic. I think they get frustrated that it's not going well, so they try to regain some control over the situation by being the first guy to declare the game a loss, then make it happen, then gloat about how they were right. I fucking hate those toxic assholes, I wish they'd go ruin another game.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 05-12-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:00 AM

Join /teamleague and just find groups who are also on discord. I've had almost universally good luck playing with those folks.

The skill level is a bit lower overall but the fun level is much higher.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:25 PM

I wish they'd stop trying to shoehorn overwatch heroes into the game. Diva is annoying with her ability to never die. Genji is annoying with his various forms of extreme mobility creep. The only overwatch hero that hasn't detracted from the game is zarya, who isn't terribly necesary because of her design overlap with tassadar anyway.

It's just not a good formula - overwatch is a high mobility FPS game that's not gonna translate well into a MOBA, it just ends up creating mobility creep and annoying mechanics.

I made it up to 2500 MMR on both quickmatch and hero league according to hotslogs. At which point I was apparently hit with a doomswitch - after starting something like 40-23 in hero league (because even though I won 8 of my placement matches, I was placed way too low at gold 4) the game has apparently decided that my wins and losses had to be even and handed me a shitload of losses in a row. It's not just that I'm slightly outmatched and I've reached my ceiling - almost every game involves some sort of throwing of the game, usually by my teammates getting super toxic and spending the whole game trying to criticize others rather than play.

I can't believe no one can see that pattern. The team that types most loses. So many games I've been ahead, the better team by a decent margin, but then we have one setback - we lose an objective, a few people get killed - whatever, and then suddenly the game is all about "so and so sucks, gg" "wtf can't you play that hero" "what the fuck are you doing", etc. Then the other people stop playing to type, and then they bicker back and forth typing more than they're playing.

And it's like hey you fucking toxic morons, you understand that we're better, we're ahead, and if we just shut up, we win, right? But no, it's way more important to be super toxic and turn the game into a chatroom. I'm losing about 80% of my games recently, and I would say more than half of them are lost in that pattern.

So frustrating to be caught in a tidal wave of other people deliberately shooting themselves and your team in the foot. I'm not sure why I'm so unlucky as to get like 30 of these games in a row, but I went from 2500+ mmr down to 2250, and from 2 games away from platinum back to gold 4 where I started.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:06 PM

Yeah, I definitely regret waiting until near the end of the season to try and reach Platinum for the mount. So many ragers who get upset and tilt over every little thing.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:29 PM

Sun's out, Guns out
Old 08-22-2017, 08:31 AM

The trailer for the newest hero is worth watching.

I love that Blizzard has started going for more traditionally animated trailers - they did one for the last Overwatch hero, too. Here's hoping that the production costs are low enough - compared to CGI - that they're willing to produce them more often.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

I don't like it: None of the heroes are fighting like themselves. Why is Jaina doing somersaults and whacking people with her staff? And if you insist on throwing Hammer out of her ride, does she have to punch people? Can't she at least throw some spider mines at them by hand?
Old 08-23-2017, 08:09 PM

The Nexus is a place that, by definition, ignores canon. I love that Blizzard is playing around with their IPs.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:04 AM

Blizzard (or rather the animation studio they hired) knocks it out of the park again. This trailer wasn't even for a new character, but about new skins for existing characters.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:11 AM

Blizzard has sounded the death-knell for Heroes of the Storm.

They're canceling all future eSports events and are shifting developers to other projects. It's Blizzard, so they'll keep supporting it in its current state for a long time, but it will no longer be a 'living' game.

In my perfect dream world, they're doing this because they're secretly developing a brand new MOBA engine that will replace the SC2 Frankenstein that HotS uses, but that's a dream world.

RIP, Heroes. You were my goto "play with friends for 20-40 minutes in the afternoon" game.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:10 AM

The community seems to overreacting to the news. They're giving up their e-sports effort but I bet the game will regularly get balance and content updates. But everyone is acting like they're shutting down the game even though probably 90% of the people complaining have never spent a second watching HOTS e-sports. If the game dies because of this, it will be because everyone decided to try to beat the rush and quit early or something.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:45 PM

Aw. crap. HotA was my goto digital game in my busy family life.

I guess i can keep playing causally and i guess there will still be people playing, but still..
Old 12-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Say, SenorBeef, did you ever manage to drag yourself out of that matchmaking hell you were in?
Old 12-18-2018, 01:11 PM

I did. I haven't played very much in like a year, but at some point last year they started doing MMR soft resets when the ranked season ended. This would make each game have a much bigger effect on your MMR, so you could make progress in a burst and not by playing 2 million games. Without those resets I'd probably still be stuck way lower than I should be.

I was never super high but I got into the platinum ranks in HL and a pretty high MMR on hotslogs for QM (although probably much lower now since I play a few games here and there and am way out of practice)

Last edited by SenorBeef; 12-18-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:57 PM

I've found myself having lost the desire to play. The last few nights, my HotS buddy and I have played Overwatch instead.

Since the last time I played, they added a sentient hamster and a cowgirl with a robot butler. That's pretty rad.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
The community seems to overreacting to the news. They're giving up their e-sports effort but I bet the game will regularly get balance and content updates. But everyone is acting like they're shutting down the game even though probably 90% of the people complaining have never spent a second watching HOTS e-sports. If the game dies because of this, it will be because everyone decided to try to beat the rush and quit early or something.
Several reasons why:

1) The amount of balance/content updates will probably slow down considerably - a lot of people are getting moved off the HOTS team to other projects. It doesn't help that the announcement from the game director said "we’re still committed to regular hero reworks, themed events, and even new heroes" (emphasis mine) as if new heroes was something to be unexpected after the announcement.

2) While I don't watch any e-sports/streamers either, a lot of people do, and I'd wager that's where a large part of the playerbase comes from - seeing people stream it. Killing the e-sports means people won't stream it anymore, and that means attracting less players to the game. Playerbase is really important in MOBAs where you need 9 other people of comparable skill every match, so if numbers start dropping, that can start having a really bad cycle effect (it doesn't help the last patch made the QM queue times way longer).

I'm thinking there might still be a decent amount of content coming out in the early months of 2019 since this decision sounds like it was made by the higher-ups as a complete surprise to the HOTS team, so there's stuff in the pipeline that's pretty close to done, but I'm thinking this game will be pretty dead come six months.