Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-27-2018, 02:22 AM
russian heel russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,634
Idea to create interest in all these NCAA Dollar Store Bowls

With all these less than intriguing Bowl games, how can we make them more interesting? What if there was something on the line for the winner: namely a chance to improve their ranking next season leading to a better Bowl game, or who knows? A shot at the Playoff?

1. The winner of each non-playoff bowl gets to challenge, if they wish, one team outside their conference with at least one more regular season win or the same wins that they had, to a game the next season. The team cannot already be on the schedule for 2018. The goal here is a chance for lower conference or ranked teams to improve their ranking chances next year by improving their strength of competition. Some teams would have the option to decline making a challenge, for instance teams that are changing coaches or think they will do well next year anyway and don't see the value of an extra game versus a worthy opponent.

2. If more than one team challenges the same school to a game, the team with the higher ranking + quality of bowl opponent gets first choice. This prevents teams from turning down bowls against better or equal teams in favor of bowls versus stiffs just to get the Challenge Game.

3. The challenged team gets home field, and picks the date.

4. ESPN gets exclusive rights to the Challenge games, and partnering with sponsors and Dollar Store Bowl Committees pool $50-100 million in payouts to the challenged teams. Those teams could use that money to induce Bowl winners to play them. Cash is the only way to induce major programs to accept these challenges.

Sooooo lets take a look at a possible scenario based on this years Bowl games:

-Celebration Bowl: North Carolina A&T 9-2 won. NCAT could challenge Michigan but knowing that might be an asskicking, they choose local 9 win North Carolina State instead (who kicks in a cool Mil for the game to induce a local matchup).

-Cure Bowl: Tulane (7-6) wins this one. They'd love to challenge LSU but they went 9-3, so they challenge Texas A&M (8-4). A chance to play the Aggies next season? Id sign up to watch that!

-New Mexico Bowl---Utah State wins this one after an 11-2 season so they hit the jackpot! Utah State aims high and challenges 12 win Oklahoma next season in a bid to get into major bowl consideration if all else goes well.

One more, lets try a bigger Bowl: last nights infamous Cheez-It Bowl where TCU out intercepted Cal with a 7-6 record; TCU is confident in their chances next season, and not seeing a valuable 7 or 8 win opponent that they think they can beat to improve their ranking, declines to challenge.

Imagine UCF beating LSU and getting a chance to finally challenge Clemson or Alabama next year and with that win and a undefeated season finally make a case for a Playoff? Would that jack up the Fiesta Bowl to a new level? And with all this success comes recruiting opportunities and one game could spark a dynasty!

As for Seniors, school pride is on the line: Seniors wont get to play that Challenge Game, but take pride that they helped pave the way for their beloved alma mater to rise up the college rankings over the next year or two!

Whaddya think?
  #2  
Old 12-27-2018, 08:29 AM
Jackmannii Jackmannii is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 30,743
Idea to make these bowl games more competitive and interesting: pay the players as compensation for giving up their study (hah) and vacation time to appear in them.

Say, $2500 for the losers' share and $5000 for the winners' share. Suddenly, there's high drama in who wins the Bad Boy Mowers Garsparilla Bowl.

It'd also be fair to have cash stakes for winning multiple rounds of playoff games. If they expand the playoff field to 8, you could start with cash awards of 5K/10K in round 1, go up to 10K/20K in round 2 and then for the finals, 25K and 50K for each player.

I haven't been a fan of paying players in the past, but seeing the amount of dough schools get for all these extra games, it only seems fair - and should enhance the level of competition.
  #3  
Old 12-27-2018, 11:20 AM
Railer13 Railer13 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Idea to make these bowl games more competitive and interesting: pay the players as compensation for giving up their study (hah) and vacation time to appear in them.

Say, $2500 for the losers' share and $5000 for the winners' share. Suddenly, there's high drama in who wins the Bad Boy Mowers Garsparilla Bowl.

It'd also be fair to have cash stakes for winning multiple rounds of playoff games. If they expand the playoff field to 8, you could start with cash awards of 5K/10K in round 1, go up to 10K/20K in round 2 and then for the finals, 25K and 50K for each player.

I haven't been a fan of paying players in the past, but seeing the amount of dough schools get for all these extra games, it only seems fair - and should enhance the level of competition.
And, if you are wondering where this money might come from, perhaps the salaries of the organizers could be reduced just a bit:

He runs one amateur football game per year. He makes more than $1 million.

Quote:
TAMPA — In the gated communities of waterfront mansions north of this city, not far from mansions belonging to the chief executive of the Tampa Bay Lightning and former NFL star turned broadcaster Ronde Barber, there’s one particularly impressive home, featuring a 600-bottle wine cellar, a wraparound shower with massage jets, and a sizeable pool with a waterfall and jacuzzi overlooking a lake. It belongs to Jim McVay, a sports executive who for the past 30 years has run the Outback Bowl, a second-tier college football postseason game featuring third-place teams.

The hefty paychecks enjoyed by bowl bosses long have been viewed by economists as a sign of exploitation in a sport played by amateurs. But even among this coterie of well-paid executives, McVay’s compensation — $1,045,000 in 2017, according to the bowl’s most recent tax filing — ranks as extreme, according to a review of bowl financial records and interviews with industry experts.

McVay, a former Buccaneers marketing executive and uncle to Los Angeles Rams Coach Sean McVay, was the highest-paid bowl executive in the country in 2017, the most recent year financial records are available, even though his organization’s revenue that year — $11.9 million — ranked 10th among bowl organizations. While several bowl bosses manage other games or major events, McVay’s core duties remain as focused as they were when he took the job in 1988: negotiate contracts and sell sponsorships and tickets for one football game each year.
  #4  
Old 12-27-2018, 12:01 PM
That Don Guy That Don Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
1. The winner of each non-playoff bowl gets to challenge, if they wish, one team outside their conference with at least one more regular season win or the same wins that they had, to a game the next season.
"At least" one more, or "at most" one more? Your examples make it sound like a 7-5 team cannot challenge a 9-3 team.

Also, how do the challenged teams handle this? Does every team schedule only 11 regular season games, just in case they are challenged, or do challenged teams get 13 (14 for Hawaii and teams that play at Hawaii) regular season games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
-Celebration Bowl: North Carolina A&T 9-2 won. NCAT could challenge Michigan but knowing that might be an asskicking, they choose local 9 win North Carolina State instead (who kicks in a cool Mil for the game to induce a local matchup).
I would leave the Celebration Bowl out of this, as it is FCS teams - and FCS teams from conferences that pretty much beg and plead the FCS tournament committee not to select them (because the bylaws say that if the MEAC or SWAC champion is chosen to be in the FCS playoffs, the "Marquette rule" applies (Marquette once turned down an NCAA men's basketball tournament bid as it wanted to be in the NIT, presumably thinking that it could make more money by hosting), and they have to be in the playoffs, which means the Celebration Bowl is no longer the "HBCU national championship" it is intended to be).
  #5  
Old 12-27-2018, 05:49 PM
russian heel russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
"At least" one more, or "at most" one more? Your examples make it sound like a 7-5 team cannot challenge a 9-3 team.



Also, how do the challenged teams handle this? Does every team schedule only 11 regular season games, just in case they are challenged, or do challenged teams get 13 (14 for Hawaii and teams that play at Hawaii) regular season games?





I would leave the Celebration Bowl out of this, as it is FCS teams - and FCS teams from conferences that pretty much beg and plead the FCS tournament committee not to select them (because the bylaws say that if the MEAC or SWAC champion is chosen to be in the FCS playoffs, the "Marquette rule" applies (Marquette once turned down an NCAA men's basketball tournament bid as it wanted to be in the NIT, presumably thinking that it could make more money by hosting), and they have to be in the playoffs, which means the Celebration Bowl is no longer the "HBCU national championship" it is intended to be).


My mistake. I thought NCAT was FBS for some reason.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017