View Poll Results: College football fans, how interested are you in the Alabama vs. Clemson championship game?
I am an alum of Alabama or Clemson who is interested in the outcome of this game. 1 2.04%
I am an alum of Alabama or Clemson who is not interested in the outcome of this game. 0 0%
I am a resident of Alabama or South Carolina who is interested in the outcome of this game. 2 4.08%
I am a resident of Alabama or South Carolina who is not interested in the outcome of this game. 1 2.04%
I live in a part of the US covered by the SEC or ACC and am interested in the outcome of this game. 8 16.33%
I live in a part of the US covered by the SEC or ACC and am not interested in the outcome of this game. 5 10.20%
I live outside the part of the US covered by the SEC and ACC but am still interested in the outcome of this game. 17 34.69%
I live outside the part of the US covered by the SEC and ACC and have no interest in the outcome of this game. 15 30.61%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2019, 12:04 AM

Poll for college football fans about 2019 College Football National Championship

Aside from people who live in Alabama or South Carolina, does anybody care about the outcome of this game?

Last FM Library Thing
Old 01-06-2019, 12:30 AM

I live in Virginia, which is ACC territory with Virginia and Virginia Tech (I think?), and I'm not invested in the result of the game, but I might still watch it. (Frankly, the only football I'm invested in right now is the Colts in the playoffs).
Old 01-06-2019, 12:30 AM

Big Ten fan: I don't care.

If Clemson wins, someone on Tuesday may hear the slight sound of very moderate surprise emanate from my nostril region as I gloss over the headline on the Yahoo! homepage, but even then, I make no guarantee.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:42 AM

Live in SEC territory, want Clemson to win (anyone but Alabama)
Old 01-06-2019, 02:44 AM

[X] Iím only here for the pie.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

I’m an FSU alum, so I hate Clemson. I also hate Alabama. I live in Chicago now, I doubt I’ll even watch. I think it’s stupid to drag college football past the start of the NFL playoffs.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:55 PM

Big Ten fan. I hate both teams. I won't watch, but I hope it's sloppy as hell and neither team deserves to win. The trouble is, the skids are really greased for each of these teams and despite their cupcake non-conference schedules, each would have to lose two games to miss the playoff, and maybe not even then.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:03 PM

I am mildly interested in the game (enough to watch part of it), and might possibly feel a faint twinge of satisfaction if Famine defeats Pestilence.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:52 PM

I follow the Pac 12 and have no interest in this game. Apparently, I'm not alone on this because last-minute game ticket prices are far below what they were last year. Bay Area college football fans don't care about a game between two teams from the other end of the continent and the Alabama and Clemson fanbases don't want to leave the Deep South and travel all the way to Santa Clara, CA. Despite what ESPN has to say, fans outside of Alabama and South Caroline are greeting the match-up with apathy. The only way I could be interested in the game is if I had a lot of money riding on it or was a fantasy college football geek.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 01-06-2019, 08:30 PM

I' in Big Ten territory I and put interested. It's a mild and vengeful interest.

I would like to see Alabama lose but it's not about Alabama. I'm a Michigan State grad and am still annoyed at the way Saban left. It wasn't just "LSU is gonna pay me buttloads more and I can recruit better." He took some shots about firing talk the year before leaving. It was his fourth year and he'd gone 6-6 without a bowl game. He was a petty ass about it a year later. I'm a petty ass in return. I enjoy seeing teams he coaches lose. That was LSU and is currently Alabama.

Last edited by DinoR; 01-06-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
I' in Big Ten territory I and put interested. It's a mild and vengeful interest.

I would like to see Alabama lose but it's not about Alabama. I'm a Michigan State grad and am still annoyed at the way Saban left. It wasn't just "LSU is gonna pay me buttloads more and I can recruit better." He took some shots about firing talk the year before leaving. It was his fourth year and he'd gone 6-6 without a bowl game. He was a petty ass about it a year later. I'm a petty ass in return. I enjoy seeing teams he coaches lose. That was LSU and is currently Alabama.
Harrumph! Damn straight. The only thing good about when he left was he sent a plane from Baton Rouge to Lansing to pick up any assistants who wanted to join his staff. The plane returned empty. The fucking little twerp couldn't play in a school that wasn't interested in giving him perpetual adulation. So he went to LSU, then fucked them over by jumping to the Dolphins. Then he couldn't cut it in the NFL so he went to Alabama. Most overrated little prick ever.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

I'm Big Ten, but fam not interested in Alabama winning it.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:28 PM

I live in South Carolina, and don't really care who wins. But I will probably watch the game because, based on past results between these two teams, it's likely to be a good football game.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:57 AM

It is in my nature to root for the underdog. Alabama and Clemson have built teams that are perennial "Overdogs", so I have no one to root for.

Also, ISTM that schools like this become recruiting magnets which sets up a feedback loop which results in an oversupply of top players at the schools. It would be interesting to understand the true impact of coaching when your whole team, including benchwarmers, are all all-stars. In other words, pull out Saban, and stick some middle range coach in his place and see if they still win everything.

Frankly, it gets boring after a while that a handful of teams are always on top.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:27 PM

As a Nebraska fan, I was always rooting against Alabama, or any team repeating. Only the 1994-1995 Huskers can repeat.

But living in Hawaii, I am pulling bigtime for Tua.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
It is in my nature to root for the underdog. Alabama and Clemson have built teams that are perennial "Overdogs", so I have no one to root for.

Also, ISTM that schools like this become recruiting magnets which sets up a feedback loop which results in an oversupply of top players at the schools. It would be interesting to understand the true impact of coaching when your whole team, including benchwarmers, are all all-stars. In other words, pull out Saban, and stick some middle range coach in his place and see if they still win everything.

Frankly, it gets boring after a while that a handful of teams are always on top.
It also doesn't help if the teams are concentrated in just one part of the country (i.e., the Southeast). When the national championship play-off was set up, it was with the expectation the teams would be geographically balanced so fan interest would be spread out. Unfortunately, the SEC has become so dominant that it's leaving the other conferences behind save maybe for a few other Deep South teams in the ACC. I just wonder if this keeps up, interest in college football will shrink in other parts of the country until its popularity is mostly limited to the South (including Texas).

Last FM Library Thing
Old 01-07-2019, 03:49 PM

I live in Alabama, but I'm an oddity being a Florida State fan and alum.

I don't care who wins the game, but will be mildly pulling for Clemson just to humble the Bama fans a little bit. They can get pretty obnoxious.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
As a Clemson grad, I never thought I would hear the words "perennial overdogs" mentioned with us (with the exception of match-ups against South Carolina).

Despite our recent success, Clemson is still a small school with a small fan base and a small budget.

Alabama is ranked as the #4 most valuable college football team in terms of revenue. Clemson didn't even make the list.

Last edited by Hermitian; 01-07-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
Unfortunately, the SEC has become so dominant that it's leaving the other conferences behind save maybe for a few other Deep South teams in the ACC
This isn't true at all. Sure the SEC had about a 6-8 year run of quasi-dominance, but that's been over for a couple of years now. Just look at recent bowl results, including this year. In college football, everything goes in cycles.

Alabama will be dominant as long as Saban is there, but the rest of the SEC has been trending down.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
It also doesn't help if the teams are concentrated in just one part of the country (i.e., the Southeast). When the national championship play-off was set up, it was with the expectation the teams would be geographically balanced so fan interest would be spread out. Unfortunately, the SEC has become so dominant that it's leaving the other conferences behind save maybe for a few other Deep South teams in the ACC. I just wonder if this keeps up, interest in college football will shrink in other parts of the country until its popularity is mostly limited to the South (including Texas).
I'm not sure the popularity will wane as you describe. Although, ISTM the Pac will always be an afterthought because of their late games that the rest of the country doesn't watch on TV, so they suffer a bit in the recruiting and coach hiring (and consequently overall performance).

Over time other teams will rise and become powerhouses. But, because schedules are put together so far in advance, and rankings at the end of the season are somewhat weighted on past years performance, it takes a couple of years to really see re-alignment.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:55 PM

Oklahoman, OSU fan.

I want Bama to lose every game just slightly less than I want OU to lose every game. I rooted for a meteor in the Orange Bowl. I rooted against ND in the Cotton Bowl. I guess that means I'm rooting for Clemson, but it isn't a very strong rooting interest. I mainly want a well officiated football game as I often root for the refs.

On top of it all, I'm quite upset that ESPN didn't get coaches for the film room in the final this year. Having coaches who have played the teams talk about scheme and playcalls has consistently been one of the best parts of the megacast they put on. Gundy and the crew with him last year were phenomenally interesting. Previous years were also great. You had people who know what these teams try and do and how to try and beat it breaking a game down at a level above what the broadcasters were doing with access to a coaches remote and telestrator. It was fantastic hearing them talk about small breakdowns that turned into big plays and how the coaches were working to constrain and set up those breakdowns over time.

And this year, we get the Monday Night Football crew to do it. I'll give it a listen, but I am not optimistic that a bunch of commentators who haven't coached can do the job.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
This isn't true at all. Sure the SEC had about a 6-8 year run of quasi-dominance, but that's been over for a couple of years now. Just look at recent bowl results, including this year. In college football, everything goes in cycles.

Alabama will be dominant as long as Saban is there, but the rest of the SEC has been trending down.
I don't know if there really is such a thing as a dominant conference. SEC had a run of holding the number one spot, but even during that stretch, they weren't always dominant. Under the BCS, Auburn barely beat Oregon. LSU won 2 BCS titles but it's debatable as to whether they should have been able to play in that game - on both occasions. Florida in 2006/7 and Alabama in 2012/3 was dominant, but the conference itself was probably not that much better than the rest of the nation. Even now, Clemson and Ohio State have been able to beat Alabama in the modern era.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:58 PM

I'm SEC guy and normally pull for our conference champ, but I honestly think I've seen enough of Alabama to last a lifetime. If winning meant Nick Saban would retire, then I'll definitely pull for the Tide.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:18 PM

Go CLEMSON......
Old 01-07-2019, 08:28 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

I'm not a college football fan (I prefer the honesty of the pro game) but I'm paying some attention and have the game on because my father went to Clemson. Of course, when he was at Clemson the football team's best years were something like 6-4. I think he's probably watching the game (I haven't called) but I doubt he really cares.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:12 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Wow, how is the coverage on ESPN2 so much better than what's on ESPN? It just seems so much more informative and less fluff.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:14 PM

Only want to see 'Bama lose.

And I'm getting that wish. 4 touchdown lead for the Tigers going into the 4th.

I seriously wonder, however, why Clemson didn't start draining the clock with 7 minutes left in the 3rd. We'd be done by now.

Fod Alabama (and the whole SEC) and their illegitimate championships.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Don't care either way about Clemson, but all SEC fans are obnoxious, so I'm happy with their best team getting pounded.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:14 AM

Hooray! Satan's Evil Conference goes down big. Still, it sucks that Clemson gets rewarded for putting Furman and Georgia Southern on their schedule.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Hooray! Satan's Evil Conference goes down big. Still, it sucks that Clemson gets rewarded for putting Furman and Georgia Southern on their schedule.
Oh please, they also played Texas A&M and South Carolina. Clemson got rewarded for winning every game they played, something very few teams do any given year.

FYI...Georgia Southern has been a member of FCS in the Sun Belt Conference for several years now and are a very respectable team.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Oh please, they also played Texas A&M
Who IIRC, only lost by 2 points in overtime to Clemson. Yet somehow got their asses handed to them by Alabama, although not as bad as Clemson handed Alabama theirs.

I suspect that in a lot of ways, the upper echelons of Power 5 conference football really is an "any given Saturday" type situation.