Old 11-08-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Just plain lazy programming. Offing the Brotherhood is completely optional in the Minutemen ending so they must have known that all three would be around for players taking that route.
It sounds like something he did triggered a bug. I finished the game through the Railroad questline in my first playthrough and the BOS never became hostile.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
It sounds like something he did triggered a bug. I finished the game through the Railroad questline in my first playthrough and the BOS never became hostile.
Wait, BoS never did their pincer assault on Railroad HQ? They're supposed to and kill one of your friends while they defend the front entrance. Followed by you, Deacon, and Tom assaulting the Cambridge police station, infiltrating the Prydwen, and planting explosives.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-08-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Decided to try this alternate start for a new game. Put me right outside Diamond City near where the wild dogs spawn.

Speaking of Diamond City, I also installed the upper stands expansion mod.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:14 PM

I decided to take advantage of the absurdly crowded world by seeing how many sides I can drag into the same firefight.

My current record was north of Revere Satellite Array ( Great location for staging a rumble because the Super mutants have a great high ground position for defense, and long vision range to shoot at anything, the BOS patrols a lot, and a lot of volunteer wildlife)
The Array Super-mutants
a random BOS Vertibird
Settlers from Finch Farm
My own provisioning robot walking by on the way to Nordhagen
Minutemen from the checkpoint by the training yard
Raiders (fighting the minutemen at the checkpoint already)
Rust devils( random encounter pop up I guess)
a Deathclaw
A couple Mirelurks
Gunners( no idea what they were doing there there)
Synths(okay so I cheated a bit on that one I just threw a relay grenade in there for the extra point)

I tried to get some zombies from the training yard, but Curie kept killing them before I could get them that far.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Wait, BoS never did their pincer assault on Railroad HQ? They're supposed to and kill one of your friends while they defend the front entrance. Followed by you, Deacon, and Tom assaulting the Cambridge police station, infiltrating the Prydwen, and planting explosives.
Whoops. Minutemen questline, not Railroad.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I decided to take advantage of the absurdly crowded world by seeing how many sides I can drag into the same firefight.

My current record was north of Revere Satellite Array ( Great location for staging a rumble because the Super mutants have a great high ground position for defense, and long vision range to shoot at anything, the BOS patrols a lot, and a lot of volunteer wildlife)
The Array Super-mutants
a random BOS Vertibird
Settlers from Finch Farm
My own provisioning robot walking by on the way to Nordhagen
Minutemen from the checkpoint by the training yard
Raiders (fighting the minutemen at the checkpoint already)
Rust devils( random encounter pop up I guess)
a Deathclaw
A couple Mirelurks
Gunners( no idea what they were doing there there)
Synths(okay so I cheated a bit on that one I just threw a relay grenade in there for the extra point)

I tried to get some zombies from the training yard, but Curie kept killing them before I could get them that far.
If you get the holotape from inside the Robotics Disposal Ground, you can send the prototype over there to join in the fun.

Level 4 in my alternate start experiment, I tried following it all the way down to the South Boston Checkpoint but insists on going past Fallon's, where three Suiciders live. Cleared them out ahead of time only for it to get one-shotted by the Gunner Commander at the checkpoint.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-22-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:52 AM

Freefall Legs.
Ok Fallout 4 fans, I've been through the game multiple times now and thought I knew all of the cool stuff. I had no idea, however, about these "freefall legs". I spent hours plural recently attaining them, which I finally was able to do. (I wasn't at all practiced controlling my flight using a jet pack.) They are right and left leg armor pieces that when worn together carry the same falling benefit that power armor has. You can jump from any height and land no problem. As far as I can tell, there are 2 ways to get them: an official way and a cheat way. The official way involves jet pack equipped power armor, and the cheat way involves carrying one of those wire basket type trash cans.
Here's the video that finally helped me get them. I had no idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLJyOvcpnGY
Old 02-17-2018, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Speaking of Diamond City, I also installed the upper stands expansion mod.
This mod is getting really interesting. The latest update added a Red Light Seat District complete with hookers and a strip club. Looks like more is coming as there are still a couple of gates marked inaccessible like the Red Seat entrance had been.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Checked out a new mod that restores The Castle's walls. Nice concept and very useful for fighting off that Queen but alters too much of the vanilla floorplan for my taste. Would be much better without adding that wall between the bunkroom and the mess; there's also a weird dirt mound which is invisible from one side but that might disappear when the place gets cleared of its mirelurk nests.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-27-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:19 AM

One of the things I liked best about the expansions was that you could clean up debris in settlements by junking it. There are way too many random piles of dirt and bricks that you can't do anything with in the "original" settlements.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

I'm playing the the alternate start different than my usual. Rather than a sneaky sniper in power armor, I'm a sneaky explosives expert who mainly stays away from power armor. I do have a couple of shooty weapons for when booms just won't do, both are from mods and have an explosive secondary effect. Also have Pickman's Blade for up close & personal.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Checked out a new mod that restores The Castle's walls. Nice concept and very useful for fighting off that Queen but alters too much of the vanilla floorplan for my taste. Would be much better without adding that wall between the bunkroom and the mess; there's also a weird dirt mound which is invisible from one side but that might disappear when the place gets cleared of its mirelurk nests.
I think I tried one of these, but ended up turning it off. So many unplayed games, yet I keep drifting back to Bethesda...
Old 03-03-2018, 02:14 PM

Iíve been playing Fallout 4 VR on the Vive a bunch. Itís a little rough around the edges, but the immersion is amazing. I really donít think they could have gotten gun handling better - to hit stuff you actually need to line the sights up, and the reflex sight actually works like a real reflex sight. The environment is stunning, and in VR I keep finding things that I didnít notice in other playthroughs.
I has a mode where you can walk around freely, but I found that was a one-way ticket to upchuck city, so I use the point-to-point teleport mode where you basically move in discrete jumps of about 5-15 feet. At first I didnít think it would work very well, but it turns out itís pretty intuitive.
Some other stuff needs work. Swimming is terrible, and I drowned a bunch just figuring out how to get it to work even marginally (to drain Thicket Excavations). Building out settlements is an excercise in frustration. While ranged combat is awesome, melee fighting off a swarm of radroaches or mirelurk larvae is a huge PITA. I think that would be better if I had a setup that let me stand & turn around, but I donít have that much room in my home office so I have to sit. For some reason you canít move corpses, so my Sanctuary Hills has a bunch of dead raiders in annoying places (one right in front of the weapons station) from random attacks.

Oh, and this isnít their fault, but holy shit when youíre totally immersed, sneaking along a passage to get the drop on a bunch of baddies, and your cat decides to jump on your lap? Bad things can happen, man. Bad things.

I think some mods work in VR, but many donít, so Iíve been playing pretty much vanilla.

Now I need to find some Spotify playlists that keep the theme of the game without repeating the same five songs over and over and over. I had Skeeter Davisí ďThe End of the WorldĒ stuck in my head for hours yesterday. Ugh.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckgully View Post
Now I need to find some Spotify playlists that keep the theme of the game without repeating the same five songs over and over and over. I had Skeeter Davis’ “The End of the World” stuck in my head for hours yesterday. Ugh.
Try downloading a bunch of these.

I sure miss being able to easily add (via mod) my own tracks to the radio stations. Tried the one mod I did find for 4 but it made playback spotty.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-03-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Iíve been playing Fallout 4 VR on the Vive a bunch.
What kind of performance are you getting? What are your specs? Do you have to turn down some stuff?
Old 03-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think that would be better if I had a setup that let me stand & turn around, but I donít have that much room in my home office so I have to sit.
Maybe, but I think that supporting seated mode well would be pretty mandatory for a 100+ hour game. Aside from whether or not I could physically stand comfortably for 2-3 hours at a time, I'm pretty sure that standing without being able to see the world for that long would cause balance and cord-entanglement issues.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Y'all know about the fan-made effort to bring Fallout 3 into 4's engine, right?
Old 03-03-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Huh...no, but I've been eagerly anticipating a similar protect for New Vegas.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/fallout-4-new-vegas

Eta: I see now that article you linked mentions it as well.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 03-03-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I sure miss being able to easily add (via mod) my own tracks to the radio stations. Tried the one mod I did find for 4 but it made playback spotty.
This looks good although I'd prefer something that adds to the existing stations rather than adds a new station. Gonna give it a try; I've already picked out some songs in that archive which would fit the game.

"Massachusetts" - The Andrews Sisters backed by Vic Schoen and His Orchestra

"Shot Gun Boogie" - Rosemary Clooney backed by Mitch Miller and His Orchestra

"Boston Bounce" - Sabby Lewis and His Orchestra

"Boston Fancy" - Gisele MacKenzie backed by Richard Maltby and His Orchestra

"The Toy Trumpet" - Boston Pops

"Mack the Knife" - Louis Armstrong & His All-Stars

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-03-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

"There'll Be Some Changes Made" - Irene Davis backed by Gene Krupa and His Orchestra

Yes. Yes, there will.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-03-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

"Atom and Evil" - Golden Gate Quartet
Old 03-05-2018, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

All 50 tracks are now at the Fallout 4 Nexus.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:52 AM

Something you can really shake your finger to!

Sweet!
Old 03-06-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Huh...no, but I've been eagerly anticipating a similar protect for New Vegas.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/fallout-4-new-vegas

Eta: I see now that article you linked mentions it as well.
I want both. Fallout 3, because it's the other part of the area. It's the original headquarters of the Brotherhood chapter you have in the Commonwealth. And frankly, I want the Citadel to acknowledge that I'm now their Elder, having put aside that racist snot Maxson.

And FNV because it's written waaaay better than FO 3 and 4 put together. Bethesda can't write a Fallout game to save its life. No one but Obsidian should even try, judging from the results.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Bad news. Both remakes have gone to development hell. 3 because some of the guys working on it pulled out after the group couldn't strike a deal with Bethesda regarding the voice acting and the NV group is going ahead with their own voice acting but need to hire actors.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-18-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:51 PM

Over in the Witcher thread we're talking about Gwent. Does anyone enjoy Caravan? I couldn't figure out how it worked, much less enjoy it.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:17 PM

I liked Caravan, I wish there were more places to play it. The rules are surprisingly complex, but easy to get after an initial hurdle.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Bad news. Both remakes have gone to development hell. 3 because some of the guys working on it pulled out after the group couldn't strike a deal with Bethesda regarding the voice acting and the NV group is going ahead with their own voice acting but need to hire actors.
I knew the voice assets would be a killer. Rights and contracts about acting are a stone bitch, and there's no way Bethesda would pony up to the voice actors from the original games to pay for a remaster being done by someone else, and I sincerely doubt a bunch of modders are in a place to work successfully with the convoluted and expensive system that actors, agents, and studios live in.

Sad, but not surprised.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
The rules are surprisingly complex, but easy to get after an initial hurdle.
This. I got good enough at it that I lost interest in finding players.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Did the Minuteman ending with my alternate start character but took a different route to get there. Infiltrated the Institute as a Railroad mole but only stuck with it until after Bunker Hill. Burning Cover was probably the only quest I had not done before.

Even with over 2000 hours in the game, I'm still finding areas that I had never seen before. The Pack's backstage area, for example. Those raiders sure liked paint!

Oh, and I've not done Fire Support this time but still have all three factions active with BOS effectively neutral. Although the occasional Brotherhood patrol will be hostile.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 04-02-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

The 3 remake is back on, at least for the time being.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and I've added so much content, in the form of mods and stuff from Creation Club, that I started yet another new game. Trouble is, it wouldn't let me start a new game so I had to load a level 1 character leaving the vault. The game also crashes much more than usual and I can't seem to find what's causing this, although I did remove some mods that weren't playing nice.

Now I also have the XBone version as well with my favorite mods loaded, along with a couple that are XBone only. I'm wondering if it's possible to make enemies with the Brotherhood and the Institute during Mass Fusion.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Decided to try this alternate start for a new game. Put me right outside Diamond City near where the wild dogs spawn.
Used that mod for my XBone character and it works much better there; entered the game as a Level 15 tourist in the Railroad.

A bunch of that mod's startup dialog is missing on my PC for some reason.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-07-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:17 AM
Charter Member

I found a nice little mod that's supposed to unlock the exit lift in 81's secret vault so no there's need to wade through a bunch of infected mole rats to get to Curie.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

This thing is really fun. And a bit ridiculous; the shooter fortunately does not take falling damage.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-15-2019 at 12:08 PM.