Old 01-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

NHL January 2019

Ugh, completely forgot that NBC has the rights to Notre Dame football and that’s where the Winter Classic is being held.

NBC doesn’t even try to hide their bias, fuck Notre Dame. How about showing same damn hockey?
Old 01-01-2019, 01:20 PM

I got up in time for face-off; I've now fulfilled all my personal commitments for the day. The year is off to a great start!
Old 01-01-2019, 02:01 PM

Excellent 1st period! The field looks amazing; the ice looks great and there's a possibility of snow!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-01-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Can someone tell me what Bettman was trying to say in his remarks about the "Jim Lites Blasts Stars Stars" froofraw? I could not figure out what his point was. Anyone?
Old 01-01-2019, 04:08 PM

Fantastic 3rd period, although I always wonder "hmmmm?" when a team seems to deliberately not set up their offense for 20 minutes.

Overall a good hockey game tho.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-01-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Fantastic 3rd period, although I always wonder "hmmmm?" when a team seems to deliberately not set up their offense for 20 minutes.
Apparently you've been watching the third period of Blue Jackets' games.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:31 PM

Knights' year is off to a great start too!
Old 01-03-2019, 06:46 PM

Holy crikes the Canadian juniors lose to Finland in Vancouver today, and become the first Canadian team to not win a medal when hosting the tournament, and second time in 20 years that won't even play for a medal.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:07 PM

Pens are on a 7th game winning streak!!! Bryan Rust was only out one game, and Kris Letang is on the "Last Man In" ballot for the All-Stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Can someone tell me what Bettman was trying to say in his remarks about the "Jim Lites Blasts Stars Stars" froofraw? I could not figure out what his point was. Anyone?
It's Bettman. He never has a point, other than ruining hockey.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Pens are on a 7th game winning streak!!! Bryan Rust was only out one game, and Kris Letang is on the "Last Man In" ballot for the All-Stars.
I was watching the Penguins beat the Rangers last night. They dominated.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:02 PM

Make it 8 games and a shut-out for Murray!

Crosby gives spectacular memento to Rangers fan heckling Penguins center

I just hope for his sake other people aren't going to try and see if they can't chirp their way to a signed stick. (Or try it with other players) Dude may have created a monster!
Old 01-04-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Make it 8 games and a shut-out for Murray!

Crosby gives spectacular memento to Rangers fan heckling Penguins center

I just hope for his sake other people aren't going to try and see if they can't chirp their way to a signed stick. (Or try it with other players) Dude may have created a monster!
I gotta admit that was a very classy thing that Crosby did and I'm pleased as punch that the Rangers fans all took it the right way! Hockey, hockey players and hockey fans totally fucking rock!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-04-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:05 PM

Kinda too bad the Knights had to send Reaves down when he's scored six in his last seven.
Can't remember the reason now.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:11 PM

Canucks goalless in last two and Pettersson's injured; if Markstrom hadn't been playing the best five weeks of his career Vancouver would be at rock bottom of the division, and speaking of that, it seems that cellar dwellers Philadelphia will never ever ever ever ever get a goaltender. Ever.
Doubtful if either team'll even be wild-cards. Fans like myself have to bear this out with a more...philosophical? take on things.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:35 AM

I HATE NBC so much. Tonight the Pens were having a special pre-game ceremony, honoring the members of the team that won the Cup in 2009.

Instead, those of us at home had to listen to Mike Milbury and Pierre McGuirre blabbing on and on. Nor did they show the video tributes from those who couldn't make it. (Max Talbot, Marc-Andre Fleury, Brooks Orpik, etc)

Fuck you, NBC. You suck.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:16 PM

Well I had a good hockey day yesterday: all my teams won!

Not only did the Knights win, the Blackhawks won and my (new!) Elmira Enforcers finally won an OT game! That's a Good Hockey Day™!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-07-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

OMG the Blackhawks won?? I gave up watching after they gave up 2 goals in whatever it was, 20 seconds into the game it seemed like. Sorry I missed the comeback (or the Pens collapse?).
Old 01-08-2019, 07:27 PM

P.K. Subban totally fucking rocks.
Quote:
The defenseman recorded a video and texted it to Ty Cornett, a 13-year-old Detroit-area hockey player last week.

His father, Matthew Cornett, shared the video , which was recorded in Detroit during the Predators’ visit to the city last week, on Reddit.

“I can tell you this right now that as long as you’re still breathing in this world, you’ve got to believe in yourself and let nobody tell you what you can and can’t do, especially if it’s because of the color of your skin,” said Subban, who is black and was born in Toronto and previously starred with the Montreal Canadiens.

“In this world, some things happen that we don’t really understand. That’s OK. We don’t have to understand them. All we need to do is understand ourselves, believe in ourselves keep trying and keep pushing forward.

“I just want to tell you that when you’re playing hockey, you play because you love the game and you want to play. Let nobody take that away from you.”
From the father's description of what his son has had to endure this season, I'm glad I wasn't at any of his games, because I likely might have been arrested and gone to jail.
Quote:
“This year has been tough,” he wrote. “My son is very aggressive and loud, so that brings out the trash talk. I have no problem with trash talking at all (part of the sport), but the racist talk needs to stop. Between the N-word being thrown at him over and over, being called monkey by players and parents, having an entire team beat their chests and act like gorillas whenever he touched the puck.

“This video meant more to my family than anything. I think my son has watched it over 500 times (no joke).”
Video at this link.

Good on you, P.K. And good on your parents for raising two talented, good-hearted people.

And holy cow good on Mr. & Mrs. Cornett for being freaking amazing humans! Alla y'all totally fucking rock!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-08-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting this, Snowboarder Bo. I've always really liked PK and now I can admire him even more.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:40 PM

The new coaches are kicking ass.

-------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Thanks for posting this, Snowboarder Bo. I've always really liked PK and now I can admire him even more.
You're welcome! Like I said: hockey, hockey players and hockey fans totally fucking rock. Obviously not all of us, but hey, we're working on it.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:11 PM

Fuck Fuck Fuck....My Blues need a total rebuild from The GM on down...

Ryan O'Riley seems to be the only player consistently giving 100%

Jake allen couldn't stop a beach ball...

FUCK
Old 01-10-2019, 12:02 PM

In addition to the Blue Jackets' inability to beat good teams, they're apparently now dealing with a prima donna goaltender.

https://www.dispatch.com/sports/2019...after-incident

(in case the above link is subscriber-only, it basically says that Sergei Bobrovsky won't play tonight because of an unspecified "incident" that violates team "culture"). He has reportedly felt dissed by management, which needs to sign him to a new contract this year or he'll become a free agent.

Columbus has had at best mixed results with Russian-born players. That includes first-round draft picks who were disappointments (Nikita Filatov, Nikolai Zherdev), excellent players who can't wait to get out of Columbus (Artemi Panarin) and now Bobrovsky, a (usually) terrific regular season goaltender who flames out in the playoffs and is now having a tantrum for unknown reasons.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 01-10-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:02 PM

I just saw the 2019 All-Star jerseys.

I like the attention-to-a-cause part but the jerseys look like ass. Not including the All-Star logo at all is the opposite of smart branding and the monochrome look gets old in about 3 seconds.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I just saw the 2019 All-Star jerseys.

I like the attention-to-a-cause part but the jerseys look like ass. Not including the All-Star logo at all is the opposite of smart branding and the monochrome look gets old in about 3 seconds.
The All-Star jerseys always look like ass -- why are you surprised?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:04 PM

I disagree; there have been lots of cool NHL All-Star jerseys.

But did you see the good news? I've been wondering for at least 12 years why they hadn't done this already:
Quote:
The NHL for the first time has tested real-time puck and player tracking in regular-season games and intends to have it in place across the league next season.

Microchips were added to players’ shoulder pads and fitted inside specially designed pucks for two Vegas Golden Knights home games this week, against the New York Rangers and the San Jose Sharks. Antennas around the arena tracked the players and the puck through radio frequencies and relayed the data to a suite where league and Players’ Association executives and representatives from 20 teams and various technology firms, sports betting companies and TV rights holders were watching.
21st century hockey totally fucking rocks!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-11-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: fixed coding
Old 01-11-2019, 03:18 PM

All this technology and yet every time there's an offsides challenge they go to some crappy video with a poor frame rate, angle, and resolution that makes the Zapruder film look like it was shot in 4K.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:21 PM

Brooks Orpik played in his 1,000 NHL game Monday.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:34 PM

Wow! 17 years in the NHL, an 18 year professional career that includes at least 2 Stanley Cups. A college championship back in 2001 as well. The guy is not only a proverbial workhorse, he's a ddamned good one at that.

Congrats Mr. Orpik on a spectacular career and may the rest of it be all that too.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:24 AM

Naturally, as soon as I comment that the Blue Jackets can't beat the good teams, they knock off the Predators and Capitals as part of a win streak that has them (for a day, anyway) on top of the Metro division, and their backup goalie is hot.*

*which means he'll probably get hurt, making Bobrovsky trade rumors moot for now.