Old 01-08-2019, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
It's too easy to blame racism instead of the Old Boys Club, though.
I blame the racism of the Old Boys Club.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:45 AM

Browns are seriously considering Freddie Kitchens, the guy who took over as OC when Todd Haley was fired.

My preference is to leave the interim staff in place. 6-2 in the second half of the season. I don't want to disrupt the chemistry. Greg Williams gets a lot of shit, but it's hard to argue that he wasn't successful. The guys play hard for him and he seems to set a good atmosphere of accountability to the team.

But Kitchens is arguably more directly responsible for the team's resurgence, with night and day differences in offensive game planning. He may be one of the great upcoming offensive minds, I don't know. If we do retain the interim staff, and the Browns offense does really well, then Kitchens probably leaves for a HC job next year.

If the Browns think they've found someone special, I'd be okay with that.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
According to ESPN's Matt Schefter, the Packers have offered their head coaching position to Titans offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur.

He's spent two years as on offensive coordinator (Titans 2018, Rams 2017).
Seems like he has a pretty good history of being around successful offenses prior to 2018, but it seems weird that his most recent resume items are offensive coordinator of an abysmal Titans offense in 2018, and while it was a decent showing as Rams OC in 2017, the Rams seemed to take it to the next level without him in 2018.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:45 AM

So Bruce Arians to Tampa Bay (he originally said he'd only come back to coach the Browns).

Packers signed Matt LeFleur, OC of the 2017 Rams and 2018 Titans.

Some guy named Kliff Kingsbury to Arizona, apparently a college coach with a losing record, but what they're banking on to be an unrecognized young offensive genius.
Quote:
[Fornelli] Kliff Kingsbury, who won 47% of his games as HC at Texas Tech, including a mark of 19-35 in the Big 12, couldn’t get another HC job in college this year but NFL teams want to give him an HC job. Why not hire him as your OC first? Sean McVay’s success gonna get a lot of GMs fired

Browns leading candidate seems to be Freddie Kitchens.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

The only team to interview Josh McDaniels (after blowing off the Colts last year) was the Packers, so he's staying in New England, evidently as the designated successor.

Greg Schiano, former Rutgers and Tampa Bay head coach, is out as DC at Ohio State, so he might get back into the NFL now. Belichick loves him.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Some guy named Kliff Kingsbury to Arizona, apparently a college coach with a losing record, but what they're banking on to be an unrecognized young offensive genius.
Oftentimes, a college HC who is highly prized is recognized as someone who has a good football mind, but who is, for whatever reason, poor at the recruiting aspect of college coaching. USC certainly liked him; they not only hired him immediately to take their OC spot, but they refused to let him talk to NFL teams originally, desperate to hang on to him. Still, making the jump directly to HC in the NFL will probably be a stretch; he likely won't have the credibility to impress the Cardinals' veterans.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:11 PM

Browns promote Kitchens to HC. Dorsey has been doing everything right so far so I should probably trust his judgement. From what I've read, it seems like Kitchens is a very smart guy who thinks about the game on a higher level than the average coach, and he clearly has chemistry with Mayfield, so I'm optimistic.

Williams was dismissed. Which makes sense, it'd be too problematic to keep a former interim coach around in a lesser position.

Kind of a shit sandwich for him, though. He takes over the team in mid-season and presides over a massive turnaround, then gets the boot a few months later.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 01-09-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
So Bruce Arians to Tampa Bay (he originally said he'd only come back to coach the Browns).
The best news here is that it will get him off the Chief's broadcast team next year.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:57 PM

Fangio to Denver.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Fangio to Denver.
About time he got a head coaching gig. The 49ers should have promoted him when Harbaugh left.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Oftentimes, a college HC who is highly prized is recognized as someone who has a good football mind, but who is, for whatever reason, poor at the recruiting aspect of college coaching. USC certainly liked him; they not only hired him immediately to take their OC spot, but they refused to let him talk to NFL teams originally, desperate to hang on to him. Still, making the jump directly to HC in the NFL will probably be a stretch; he likely won't have the credibility to impress the Cardinals' veterans.
I was pretty shocked at the Kingsbury hire. He's a college coach who has a losing record (his predecessor at TT had a much better record) and zero experience coaching in the NFL. He went 16-21 with Patrick Mahomes, thought more of Davis Webb than Baker Mayfield, and had a consistently awful defense. Maybe give him a shot as OC, but head coach surprised the hell out of me. I think it will not go well for the Cards for the next few years. Chasing the next great offensive mind is hard enough. Giving the reins to one with no NFL coaching experience is a recipe for failure.

Last edited by Hamlet; 01-09-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I was pretty shocked at the Kingsbury hire. He's a college coach who has a losing record (his predecessor at TT had a much better record) and zero experience coaching in the NFL. He went 16-21 with Patrick Mahomes, thought more of Davis Webb than Baker Mayfield, and had a consistently awful defense. Maybe give him a shot as OC, but head coach surprised the hell out of me. I think it will not go well for the Cards for the next few years. Chasing the next great offensive mind is hard enough. Giving the reins to one with no NFL coaching experience is a recipe for failure.
As a Seahawks fan I can certainly live with continued Arizona struggles. We have it tough enough being in the same division as the Rams.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:29 PM

Jets sign Gase. That could end up being some drama.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:40 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Jets sign Gase. That could end up being some drama.
Which would appear to leave Mike McCarthy off the sidelines for 2019, as he had said that he was only interested in the Jets position.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Kind of a shit sandwich for him, though. He takes over the team in mid-season and presides over a massive turnaround, then gets the boot a few months later.
Yeah, that big of a turnaround deserves a shot at a full season. As for Kitchesn, it sounds to me like a case of someone hired to ensure a lot of excitement (i.e. offense). The trouble with that is that success in the league means "defense". So probably a lot of highlight real stuff, but ultimately a 500 season, and a bunch of clueless fans complaining about bad luck and officiating.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:29 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
On the other hand, you could also view it as maybe helping him to further rehabilitate his image within the league, and maybe set himself up for another head coaching gig next year.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:39 PM

Looks like the reports are that the Bengals are hiring the Ram's Zac Taylor, QB coach. TBA after the playoffs are over.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:44 PM

Another white guy.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Another white guy.
?????

What does that have to do with anything?
Old 01-10-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
?????

What does that have to do with anything?
Despite efforts and rules to make the coaching more racially representative (especially considering the balance among the players) the head coaching situation is rather pale-skinned right now. The race of the coach is in fact an issue in the NFL these days, whether we agree with it or not.

Last edited by MrKnowItAll; 01-10-2019 at 10:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-10-2019, 10:19 PM

The Rooney Rule
Old 01-10-2019, 11:42 PM

Yeah I’m the last person to make an issue of skin color (one way or the other) but I can’t help but notice how much the HC situation is shifting in a racial sense.

I’m tempted to say, “Who cares just hire the best person for the job,” but you know these decisions are always political and the Rooney Rule is a thing.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:55 AM

Based off how everyone wants to get their own version of Sean McVay, clearly the Rooney Rule should be updated to require that all of McVay's offensive assistant coaches are black. The situation will then sort itself out after a couple seasons.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

The Fish are hiring Brian Flores, the Patriots' (acting) DC. That adds a black Hispanic to the ranks, if nothing else. Comments are already being made that the coach they fired, Gase, is of higher stature than anyone they interviewed.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Browns are seriously considering Freddie Kitchens, the guy who took over as OC when Todd Haley was fired.

My preference is to leave the interim staff in place. 6-2 in the second half of the season. I don't want to disrupt the chemistry. Greg Williams gets a lot of shit, but it's hard to argue that he wasn't successful. The guys play hard for him and he seems to set a good atmosphere of accountability to the team.

But Kitchens is arguably more directly responsible for the team's resurgence, with night and day differences in offensive game planning. He may be one of the great upcoming offensive minds, I don't know. If we do retain the interim staff, and the Browns offense does really well, then Kitchens probably leaves for a HC job next year.

If the Browns think they've found someone special, I'd be okay with that.
There's a difference between being a coordinator and being a generalist. Some head coaches might be outperformed as coordinators, and some coordinators aren't good at managing personnel.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Yeah Im the last person to make an issue of skin color (one way or the other) but I cant help but notice how much the HC situation is shifting in a racial sense.

Im tempted to say, Who cares just hire the best person for the job, but you know these decisions are always political and the Rooney Rule is a thing.
An even bigger problem than the lack of black head coaches is that there should be more black executives and assistant coaches. I can't say I follow the transactions that closely, but it seems like a lot of NFL hiring is 'flavor of the month,' which is true not only for black assistants but white ones as well. However, I think the spotlight is magnified when black coaches are under consideration. I sometimes wonder if teams are under pressure to make a signing with a black coach once a name has been rumored to be under consideration. In reality, it's best for the black candidate and the team to have an interview and decide that this individual isn't quite what they're looking for, provided that they can document the reasons why in objective terms and apply the criteria to all candidates during the interview process.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
The Kingsbury hire just boggles the mind. I guess the Bidwills have decided to go full on Bidwill.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:40 AM

I am well aware of the Rooney rule, I just thought it odd that another poster said "another white guy" when I posted that the Bengals were likely hiring Zac Taylor...after firing an inept black coach...I don't know, I just find the skin color thing to be irrelevant.