Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 PM

Want this to be a 60-point beatdown.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:52 PM

'Bama not looking good here. No points so far the second half, two straight failures on fourth down.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:06 PM

They might Alabama worse than they beat ND....
Old 01-07-2019, 11:10 PM

When's the last time Alabama lost any game by over 20 points?
Old 01-07-2019, 11:14 PM

Well, Famine is stomping Pestilence thus far.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
When's the last time Alabama lost any game by over 20 points?
You can find anything on the internet in 30 seconds...and your answer is 2003, LSU 27 Alabama 3

But yeah, Alabama has been known for comebacks in the 4th after wearing teams down, but I don't see them getting 4 touchdowns back.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 01-07-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:28 PM

Nice punt. Nice game.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:40 PM

And a nice drive.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:45 PM

THAT was a comprehensive whoopin'. Kinda nice to see Nick Saban handed his ass on a platter.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:57 PM

Never seen a Saban team get destroyed like that in a post-season game. Clemson's speed and athleticism were a sight to behold.

Going way back here, but this game reminded me of Redskins-Raiders in Super Bowl 18. The defending champ seemed en route to another championship, only to get manhandled on the biggest stage.

Don't forget, though, that the Joe Gibbs-coached Skins rebounded nicely from that defeat and went on to win another two championships. So be careful about writing Alabama off.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:58 PM

Hey, haven't y'all heard that Alabama could probably beat some NFL teams? And the SEC is head-and-shoulders the best conference in college football? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. . .
Old 01-08-2019, 06:22 AM

To me, it seemed like 'Bama came out at the start all full of over-confidence, like they just knew they would win no matter what. Even the pick-6 on the first possession wasn't fazing them; they just kept playing good offensive football. But as Clemson kept managing to put up points of their own, the Tide players began to question themselves. When you start over-confident, and you get your noses rubbed in that over-confidence, it's often the case that you don't recover in time. After a while, 'Bama was just going through the motions. The really, REALLY stupid "fake" field goal attempt was an example.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
To me, it seemed like 'Bama came out at the start all full of over-confidence, like they just knew they would win no matter what. Even the pick-6 on the first possession wasn't fazing them; they just kept playing good offensive football. But as Clemson kept managing to put up points of their own, the Tide players began to question themselves. When you start over-confident, and you get your noses rubbed in that over-confidence, it's often the case that you don't recover in time. After a while, 'Bama was just going through the motions. The really, REALLY stupid "fake" field goal attempt was an example.
Good summary.

I think Alabama was still mentally in the game after the pick six. But the ability of Clemson to move the ball down the field quickly and to score on 2, 3, or 4 plays...that started getting into Alabama's head, and not just the players' heads but also the coaches heads. Alabama was playing off the receivers, though I don't know if it would have made a difference one way or the other. Trevor Lawrence was hitting his spots consistently. He was connecting with receivers in stride. He was accurate underneath, and he was accurate with the deep ball.

Alabama's not used to seeing Clemson's speed and athleticism (who is?); they're used to seeing big bodied linemen loading up the box. Granted, as college offenses have evolved the last 10 years, we're seeing less and less SEC "load the box" football, but the point is that Alabama's style, which works against bigger, stronger, but slower SEC teams...was ill-suited against Clemson. The Tigers were just better at doing everything that Alabama was supposed to be the best at doing. Until last night, Alabama had never played a team with receivers as good as theirs - Clemson's were better. They had never played a team with a QB who could throw the deep ball as well as Tua - Lawrence was better. Clemson beat them pretty much at every position I can think of.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:07 PM

That Clemson receiver (or was it more than one?) pulled down a few great catches in the 2nd half (I didn't see first half). I was pretty impressed.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaftPeople View Post
That Clemson receiver (or was it more than one?) pulled down a few great catches in the 2nd half (I didn't see first half). I was pretty impressed.
I believe you are referring to Phenix City, Alabama native Justyn Ross.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:15 PM

One tendency of dynasty teams is that, they are so unaccustomed to trailing against an underdog, that they go into panic mode and can't cope and dig the hole further deeper. The notion that they might seriously, in fact, lose, is alien to them.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:20 PM

Well, that was....unambiguous.
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I
Old 01-08-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
The really, REALLY stupid "fake" field goal attempt was an example.
Are you telling me that a power run, with the kicker as a lead blocker, against a defense who is sitting back and daring you to fake the kick on 4th and 6, is a bad call?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
The fake FG was all the worse given that the Alabama kicker and holder noticed that the Clemson defense was in on it, and looked towards the sidelines like "Do we really want to do this after all?" and still went through with it anyway.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sensitive View Post
Are you telling me that a power run, with the kicker as a lead blocker, against a defense who is sitting back and daring you to fake the kick on 4th and 6, is a bad call?
Nick Saban doesnít value place kicking.

https://deadspin.com/alabama-doinks-...rdo-1831563628

He insists on having his QB be the holder always so that he has someone to throw it when he fakes a kick. Of course that means the holder canít devote too much time toward special teams practices because it turns out (surprise!) being a QB is kind of important and thereís more important stuff for him to work on. So Alabama has awful kicking as a result. Many missed extra points and field goals, and people arenít that surprised when you try to fake it.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sensitive View Post
Well, when you put it THAT way...
Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 PM

I am seeing two polls still listing Alabama #1 over Clemson! WTF???

https://www.google.com/search?q=coll...fxch;rn;fp;1;;

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...nkings/playoff
Old 01-12-2019, 11:08 PM

The SEC circle-jerk is strong.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 AM

Alabama’s not the only one getting exposed.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Looks like they're the same poll.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
Looks like they're the same poll.
From early December.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:19 AM

Just noticed that date. Which is strange, because it also lists the playoff series results.

Given that Clemson is #1 in the other three FBS polls, I'd guess that playoff one was only used for the seeding.

ETA: Given how badly Alabama was annihilated by Clemson, is it possible to think Notre Dame isn't ACTUALLY as trash as they seemed to be?

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 01-13-2019 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Added a nut
Old 01-13-2019, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Does anybody else think we're getting to the point of needing an "NCAA College Football Hot Stove League" thread? Keeping up with the transfers and decommits is hard!

Fingers crossed that we (FSU) get Hurts. Guaranteed starter in an offensive scheme that will highlight his talents. C'mon, Jalen, we're waiting!