Old 07-09-2014, 02:00 AM
Charter Member

Bounced up to 14 using my tempo rogue, getting over 80% wins with it right now. Huh. Guess the meta is tilted towards anti-miracle. Anyone noticing any meta shifts? Or are the teens still kinda weird now?
Old 07-17-2014, 07:13 PM

Release date announced for Naxx. It's the 22nd.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

I'm kinda sorta looking forward to this, but kinda sorta not really, given that the Anubar Ambusher isn't really that great for Rogue. I might make it fit into my Tempo Rogue, but we'll see. I'm not too keen on having to put in silences and such given the deathrattle explosion, but that's neither here nor there. Dancing Swords seem to kinda fit into my Mill Rogue, but given that it can be opponent triggered, I'm not sure if that's super good either.

More interesting I guess is the ability to have a real "PvE" experience, but that wasn't really top on my list anyway - I'm more of a PvP kind of guy. I'd be more excited if they implemented replays or some sort of Arena/tournament mix, or maybe a arena/constructed hybrid.

I'm currently hovering around rank 10 with a 50% winrate right now, so I've kinda hit a wall too. How's everyone doing?
Old 07-18-2014, 11:51 AM

I had a total Hearthstone meltdown the other day trying to do double 60-gold Druid quests. I lost like four ranks going like 5 - 25 over the quest. Druid is one of the classes that I had the most experience with. I have no idea how things went so badly. I confess I was a little loaded and after the first few losses I was just an unthinking ball of frustration, so none of that helped any. The next day I win-streak-bonus'd most of it back using that "tempo warrior" deck, which is a pretty fun deck.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:35 AM

Lately I've only been playing enough to finish the daily quest. Hit Rank 6 today -- not much looking forward to the grind after 5 -- don't know if I'll try for Legend or not.

Watched some of Trump's stream this week. He was playing Miracle Rogue. He hit one of those horrible losing streaks, going from better than Legend 100 down to 425 over the course of two days -- which seemed to be the lowest Legend rank at the time because he also lost the next game and didn't go down any further.

I haven't thought very deeply about it but it appears to me that my losing streaks tend to happen when I just plain get a string of terrible starting hands. I think the game may have too much luck / not enough skill. Particularly with an aggro deck, it is all but impossible to come back when you can't play on the first couple of turns.

It will be interesting to see how things get shaken up when the new cards start hitting the tables but I suspect that may increase the luck factor even more.

I still have no usable Legendary cards and play only a cheap Zoo deck.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

Hit 10 wins on arena woot! On a shaman deck too, which surprised me - shaman is one of my least played, and the deck didn't have anything special in it, not even a lightning storm.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Naxx today! (tomorrow morning for 'murrikins)

I said I wouldn't be excited, but I kinda am right now. Sadly, maintenance probably won't be done until after I'm asleep, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Gotta fit those silences in though...
Old 07-22-2014, 02:34 PM

Well, Naxx is here .. and it looks like at least Spider Wing (in normal mode) is easy enough. I beat the first boss with a lvl 8 mage, pretty much no fancy cards. If boss hero power is summoning a 3/1 you can just trade hero power activations all day long.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:44 PM

Yeah, first level was easy -- played my standard Zoo deck. Typical of such things, the game froze up during second battle. Time to reboot and try again.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:50 PM

Blizzard first day release, so it was super slow; I took down number one with a shaman control-ish deck (in retrospect, mage would have been a better choice, fortunately Lightning Storm came along at the perfect time) and then narrowly beat number two with a paladin rush deck that got my cards in hand to a minimum in a hurry. Don't think I would have won either vs. a human (in particular, number two took herself down to 6 hit points with a weapon attack. Versus a rush deck. That hadn't played Leroy yet. And was holding a card.)

But it was so painfully slow that I'm going to give them some time to work out whatever it is.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:31 PM

I beat the first boss with my Pirate Rogue, the second with a Zooish starting hand in my Ramp Warlock deck, and the third with my Beastmaster Hunter deck. I finished the Druid challenge just as the server screwed up, so I don't know whether that counted or not.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

I still haven't played Naxx yet! Waiting for lunch later, trying to to get spoiled in the meantime.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 PM

don't call her Maxxy! she's a nice addition to my gimmick priest, which i used to unlock all 4 cards. heroic looks impossible with the cards i have.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:26 AM
Charter Member

Totally Mexxy.

I've only tried the Heroic Anubar mission, and 2 mana 4/4 is as insane as it sounds. Talk about a crazy clock! AND he/she/it has 45 health. I'm thinking of slowing the clock via single target removal (basically, load up with Sap, Evis, Assassinate) and try to get a fatty to stick - maybe Venture Co, the spider doesn't seem to run BGH or anything.

Off to check out how the Hearthpwn folks managed it.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:29 AM

i'm avoiding spoilers but yeah, i've also noticed that it does not have any single target removable above 4hp. after tweaking my deck and getting rid of the power word cards, it's very doable. just need to distract it so it doesn't coin 4/4 on the first turn.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Ok, I'm going to treat this as a puzzle game and not look up puzzle solutions. Tonight!
Old 07-23-2014, 12:11 PM

Spoilers on Heroic below. Don't read if you want to try and figure it out.

So I cleared the normal battles and the class challenges without much issue. As many have said before, the first isn't terribly hard - I was able to do it with my normal Shaman Control Deck that I use in Rank. The second one is all about rush. I used a F2P Warlock rush deck and didn't have an issue. The third against Maxlkjdhfgkhdf whatever I think I used my normal Shaman Control Deck also. Took me 2 tries but I finally got her down.

The class challenges I actually found to be very easy. I don't know if it is just coincidence or not but I seemed to always have the cards I needed in hand to counter whatever play the AI made. Not sure if the game has a set draw pattern where as long as you counter each AI move correctly you're fine but it seemed like a no brainer.

As per the warning, I thought Heroic was going to be ridiculous. Don't get me wrong - it's definitely hard but not as hard as I thought. The first one I used the same Control deck as above. I actually got lucky and pulled a lightning storm while I had 2 +SP minions on the board and cleared everything. Plus the silence from Earthshock helped immensely with all the death rattles.

The second one was definitely MUCH harder. 1 mana for the AIs hero power is crazy. I used the same Warlock deck as on regular but it took me three or four tries to get the AI down. It really comes down to your starting hand. If you can get 3 1 drops you're set - otherwise the AI will punish you with it's hero power relentlessly. And it also ALWAYS seems to hit the minions first to kill them then hits my hero. I know it's most likely random but it seemed like that how they did me every match.

The Maxxyodhflkjghds is definitely worthy of the heroic label though. Hero power costs ZERO mana. It puts TWO of your minions from the board back into your hand. After playing the first round with my Shaman deck I thought I would try a Shaman deck with all the spells plus some battlecry minions (Fire Ele, etc.). No good. Got stomped big time. Then I tried a mage spell heavy deck with a couple charge creatures. Again no luck. Then I realized something - and this is the key to beating it - the AI uses the hero power as their first move EVERY SINGLE TURN. It never prioritizes killing a minion before bouncing it back. The other key is that the first 3 or 4 turns, the only minions that are played are those 1/2 spiders than summon 2 1/1 spiders on death. I haven't beaten it yet but my last try before bed I got the AI down to 6 HP and would've won but I couldn't draw the one damn card that would've sealed the win for me. Anyway, here is my strategy:

-Use Warrior. The hero power will let you "heal" yourself when you have no other way to spend 2 mana. (this will make sense shortly).
-You MUST include 2 Voodoo Priests and 2 of the 3 Mana Healers (can't remember the name off the top of my head). These are the key to winning.
-You'll need 2 Whirlwinds and you need to pray you get them and a Voodoo Priest in your starting hand.
-Put in a bunch of charges. I used the 1 mana boar for early game, 2 mana murloc for early game, 3 mana wolfrider (in case I get screwed on draw) 4 mana Warrior Charge minion, and you can probably throw in a Argent Commander or even Leeroy if you got him (I don't) but you probably won't need them because of their mana cost.
-It's all about throwing out a healer and a charge minion (only one of each) each turn and ONLY going for face.
-Once the AI has 4 spiders out you need to whirwind twice to kill them and get them to spawn their spiders (if you don't have both whirlwinds by the time they get 4 spiders out you're not completely screwed yet. Once they put out 4 spiders the next 2 minions are the 1/4 gargoyles which are fine. You need to keep the max damage per turn to the minimum). If you can double whirlwind them they'll spawn their spiders which will fill up the AIs side. He would be able to play any other minions so you've effectively limited him to 1 damage per minion for the rest of the match. DO NOT KILL ANY OF THEM. Otherwise they'll start putting out taunt minions and it's game over.
-You want to try and always put one minion out to heal, one for face. The trick is to maximize your healing and damage using more expensive minions as your available mana goes up. Turn 1 boar. On the AIs turn the boar gets bounced back. Turn 2 boar and voodoo. You'll heal your face damage and do another point of damage and they'll get bounced back to you again. Turn 3 you can do murloc and voodoo (if you've drawn the murloc) otherwise boar voodoo again. As the match goes on you'll need to balance face damage and healing. I got screwed because I didn't draw the 3 mana healer until the game was about finished so I wasn't able to heal through enough of the damage. If you start running low on health then you might want to drop 2 healers instead of a healer and a charge and then go back to heal charge once you've gotten your hp total back up.
-Never play more than 2 minions unless you can get lethal. Only two random minions get bounced back. If you play a third and it leaves your healer on the board and the other two are bounced back it's pretty much game over. Plus, the 1/1 spiders will now try and kill the minion left on the board and with 1 health, the spider will die and be replaced with something either higher damage or something with taunt.
-On the turns where you have 2 mana extra after playing your charge and heal minion, use the hero power. It's an extra 2 health heal for the most part.
-I would also add 2 of the warrior card that gives 5 armor and draw a card. Again, the extra heal will help a ton to last long enough to whittle the AI down.
-The Warrior Charge Minion is excellent at this strategy. 4 mana for 4 damage is the most efficient of the charge minions available. If you can get one in your hand by turn 5 (4 mana charge and 1 mana healer) you're in good shape.

Admittedly this strategy relies a lot on getting the cards you need in your starting hand. Since there is no penalty for conceding, if you don't get the right start hand you're better off just ending it and starting up another match. There are probably "better" strategies than this but the good this about this is that it uses cards that I would bet anyone trying heroic already has. No legendaries needed. In fact, the cards I used were all commons so even if you needed to craft them they're cheap as hell. The key is to make sure that you get the AI's side jammed up with nothing but 1 damage minions. Even a 2dmg minion on the board will increase the damage output enough where you probably won't last long enough to win. Depending on your card draw, as the match gets to the end you may need to sacrifice your lower cost charge minions to avoid lethal from the other side but keep in mind that after the AI plays 2 gargoyles, they start playing 3/5 minions that deathrattles a 1/2 taught minion. If those get put out it's game over pretty much.

Hope this helps some people that were having trouble - especially people that may be light on the legendary card and whatnot. Any questions let me know and I'll try and help (I am in no way an expert at the game and don't claim to be either - just happen to find something that seems to work).
Old 07-23-2014, 12:42 PM

(spoilers)
i killed all the bosses and i didn't get a cardback! oh, you have to kill all bosses in every wing? =\

i still find Anub to be the hardest, it's touch and go trying to survive the 4/4s every turn. Faerlina is the easiest - i used Zoolock to counter the hero power and did it in one try. i reached the same conclusion as you on Mexxy's hero power. it's kinda hard to miss it when she uses the power first even though i have no minions on board. i went for Fatigue instead when i realised the 1 attack minions occupies the whole board every game, filling my deck with spells i can burn so i don't lose my Farseers to a full hand. i didn't use charge. with 2 Farseers and the hero power, it's an inevitable win.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:09 PM

Hm, the warrior strategy sounds better than the one I went with, which was hunter with enter the hounds and explosive trap - trap blows up their board and gets them to 7 1/1 guys, then you go for hounds plus wolf and swing at the face; I did hit on using a healing dude to buy me some time.

It occurs to me that Wild Pyromancer would make the double-whirlwind trick more consistent.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Hm, the warrior strategy sounds better than the one I went with, which was hunter with enter the hounds and explosive trap - trap blows up their board and gets them to 7 1/1 guys, then you go for hounds plus wolf and swing at the face; I did hit on using a healing dude to buy me some time.

It occurs to me that Wild Pyromancer would make the double-whirlwind trick more consistent.
I considered the Pyromancer addition but my worry was if I was only able to get it to trigger once it would leave a 3/1 on the board which would eat one of their 1/x minions and then I run the risk of the taunt minions coming out. However, if you successfully got pyro-whirl-whirl your first play of whirlwind would kill the 1/2 popping the 7 1/1s. the next would kill the 1/1s with whirlwind and the second pyro blast would do nothing other than suicide the pyro. You then still run into the issue of the higher damage/taunt minions coming out and I don't think you'd be able to heal through the damage enough to whittle down the AI.

I was also considering the same strategy but with a paladin and then use the 2 mana heal for 6ish spell. That would give you an extra 2 rounds of attacking for the most part (7 damage per turn, 6 heal, net of 1 damage to your hero). In this case you would def need the pyro due to the lack of low cost aoe for Pally (waiting until 4 mana for consecrate would be an issue possibly).
Old 07-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

I didn't bother with killing the spiders or anything, I just Aldor Peacekeepered everyone that she played. Follow de rules! Also added the heal cards, if I had to do it again I'd put in more spell cards - I was burning cards near the end, if I'd burned Leeroy or my Guardians of kings I would be rather screwed.

It was still kinda touch and go, I was positive on healing since I managed to draw my Guardian of kings and a voodoo doctor (6+2=8 heal, 7 damage per turn) but it was a real slog. In the end I finished it with LEeeeerrrrooy.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:09 PM

I've since managed to win it more conventionally (taking control of the board then beating down) with a Priest deck with Mad Bombers, Mind Control Techs, Soulpriests (with circle of healing), owls, 2 shadow word: death and a big game hunter to deal with the giants, and so on.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat View Post
I didn't bother with killing the spiders or anything, I just Aldor Peacekeepered everyone that she played. Follow de rules! Also added the heal cards, if I had to do it again I'd put in more spell cards - I was burning cards near the end, if I'd burned Leeroy or my Guardians of kings I would be rather screwed.

It was still kinda touch and go, I was positive on healing since I managed to draw my Guardian of kings and a voodoo doctor (6+2=8 heal, 7 damage per turn) but it was a real slog. In the end I finished it with LEeeeerrrrooy.
Hahaha yeah I got into a similar situation where I didn't want to burn cards that I needed so I started to throw my 1 health charge minions into the 1/4 gargoyles just to free up room in my hand. I also lucked out and had 2 of those 3 mana healers (can never remember the names) so I was healing 3 each plus 2 armor each turn so effectively I outhealed the other side by 1 health. Did that for about 6 or 7 turns just so give myself a health cushion (since I only stabilized every with 10 health remaining) and then just dropped my 4/3 warrior charger.

Then I played arena and ended up going 2/3 because I faced better-than-constructed decks. Four flamestrikes?! Really!!!!

Thankfully I started another round with druid and got myself a pretty mean deck (3 druids of the claw, 4 swipes - yup, 4, 3 ogres and a bunch of decent cheapies). If I don't do well with this I'm gonna be pissed.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 PM

Pretty sure there's no number of swipes that is too many. A 30 swipe deck probably couldn't lose.

Edit: Would lose to a 30 fireball deck, but the 30 fireball deck probably couldn't win versus most normal decks.

Last edited by Tom Scud; 07-24-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:33 PM

hah, got a golden Eaglehorn Bow in my deck. that's 700 dust for free.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Wait, there's reports that the Eaglehorn is dusted for normal discounted value, not like UTH where you dusted for full cost. Are you sure it was 700 dust?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:34 PM

yeah, i got 800 dust for it.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:07 AM

Anybody doing anything in Rank play? I've been trying out some decks with the Egg and Spider cards -- gone from Rank 4 down to the very bottom of 8 -- can't get any traction -- and the eggs are starting to get Silenced a lot.

Looks like there is going to be a lot of turmoil in the ranks for the next month or so. Seems like a lot of hoopla with the single player scenarios for a couple of hours play ... seems to me they might as well have saved a lot programming cost and just released the new cards.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:19 AM
Charter Member

I just logged in, seems like they've just announced full refund for Eaglehorn (wasn't there when I logged on last night). Sweet! I dusted mine, never play Hunter on constructed anyway.

Just spent a while in ranked, my tempo rogue is utter shite against the Zoo army. Made some replacements, still hovering around 10. Of course, now I'm hosed against control, but eh. 2 Fan of knives, wow. Working though.

Anubar Ambusher seems good for my deck so far, I haven't had the downside come into play yet (except for that time when I got greedy and thought I would have lethal next turn, he somehow managed to pop the spider and my Venture Co got sapped. =/).

Still, when flanked by a Azure Drake and a Si7, there's just no downside for me.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

So how did yall do this season? I ended up at rank 7 after a long win streak over the last 2 days. I'm thinking maybe this is the season I really grind for legendary and not waste time playing arena.

I'm going to play my tempo Rogue, but Zoo really got buffed by Naxx though. I had a T3 4/4 Nerubian and a 7/9 void terror (T2 Nerubian Egg, T3 coin, Power Overwheming, Void Terror) , there was just no losing that game.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:40 AM

I was at Rank 12 with my Pirate Rogue deck and still consistently winning when the servers ticked over. Now I'm back at Rank 20 and it's Zoo city again.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, Zoo seems to be the meta right now. I've completely tilted my deck to anti-zoo, but am completely screwed if I meet a handlock or control warrior. All the zoos make up for it though!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:02 AM

The new 1/3 taunt/whirlwind deathrattle seems like it should be pretty good vs. zoo.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:10 AM

I wanted to check this game out, but when I start it up, I am taken to a screen consisting of a pair of doors and a glowing logo, my (movable) mouse cursor--and nothing else. And it just sits there indefinitely until I alt-tab out and end the process.

Any idea what could be going on here?

Windows 8, everything updated etc.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Um, click?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:14 AM

Yeah, actually. Have you tried clicking on the doors/logo? The first time the game starts up you click on them, they open up, run you through a cinematic(I think) and then go into a tutorial.

ETA : There's a major game event going on these days, so it may be possible that your client is responding very slowly because Blizzard servers are clogged up.

Last edited by bldysabba; 08-01-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:57 AM

I didn't play for a few days – was one of those who couldn't get past the authorization page for the Naxx update and didn't want to play without the new cards.

Finally got in yesterday and decided to switch and play Hunter. I was totally lost with no idea how to play nor how to mulligan. It was a learning experience. Started at Rank 17, went down deep into 19, then came back up to finish right where I started at 17 after almost five hours.

Switched back to Zoo tonight and ran up to Rank 12 in less than three hours. I am more convinced than ever that plain, cheap Zoo is the strongest deck for ladder climbing; it's not that it is easy to play, it is popular because it is the best deck for the purpose.

I've pretty much decided the skill/luck balance is off in this game. It's going to take quite a while for it to be fully figured out, but there does seem to be too much luck. Much of the skill comes in choosing a deck and there are plenty of strong deck-makers posting their choices on the web, so anybody with the gumption to look up a good deck can play the same set of cards the top-ranked players are using.

There is some skill in playing the cards, and there are some subtleties, but most plays are pretty easy to get the hang of. The difference between a noob and a good player is not really very large and the difference between a good player and a very strong player is actually pretty small. It takes a long time and a lot of games for those few guys who are consistently at the top to grind their way there.

I still find the game interesting and will likely continue to play until the entire Naxx thing is done, then will probably be done with it. It's fun, but it is very time-consuming to try to stay up to date, so I'll remain a somewhat casual student of the game until I see its finished state.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turble View Post
I've pretty much decided the skill/luck balance is off in this game. It's going to take quite a while for it to be fully figured out, but there does seem to be too much luck. Much of the skill comes in choosing a deck and there are plenty of strong deck-makers posting their choices on the web, so anybody with the gumption to look up a good deck can play the same set of cards the top-ranked players are using.

There is some skill in playing the cards, and there are some subtleties, but most plays are pretty easy to get the hang of. The difference between a noob and a good player is not really very large and the difference between a good player and a very strong player is actually pretty small. It takes a long time and a lot of games for those few guys who are consistently at the top to grind their way there.
I don't agree. Top players who hit the top legend ranks consistently do it in hours. Luck may determine individual games, but your win rate over time will depend on your skill in picking and playing decks. If it's high enough, then it doesn't take much time to float to the top. Some decks, like the miracle rogue, require especially high amounts of skill to play well and optimise to the meta. I think the biggest problem is Hearthstone's constructed play is incredibly hard to master. It's very difficult to pinpoint why you lost or what plays you could have or should have made differently. That only comes with lots of experience, and in the meantime it's easy to blame luck.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Yeah, I'm done with this game. The matching is broken and it isn't fun. Best of luck and thanks for the advice all.
After a friend of mine raved about the new solo campaign, I picked this up again and gave it a try.

It was fun. I enjoyed the campaign, the tweaking of decks, and I'm working through the harder levels.

Then I went back, redid a few of my decks, and tried the ranked games again.

Same old shit. Skill will matter in about 2 out of 5 games, luck in 1, and the other two are decided by the big money cards in the deck, no matter how you play. Still, incredibly frustrating. Until the matching mechanism improves, I'll be putting this game away for awhile again.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:07 AM
Charter Member

Well... I don't know what to tell you. To a certain extent, it's probably your deck - there are many decks which don't rely on legendaries to win. I laddered up to rank 5 with my no legendary Rogue deck, but it does rely on your knowing what works.

On the other hand, some part of it is probably due to your skill as well. Soooo... I dunno what to tell you. Glad you had fun with Naxx, I guess?
Old 09-01-2014, 05:03 AM

I recently had some free time and worked my way through Naxx. When I had only ~700 gold and one wing of Naxx left, I figured I'd go earn some gold playing arena. Instead, over the course of the next 10 or so arenas in which I never once crossed 7 wins, and often went under 3, in the process losing all my gold, I learnt one of the following things. The problem is, I'm not sure which one
a) I've become much worse at playing arena
b) Everyone else has become much better
c) Don't play arena at super off peak hours (Like very late at night. Only the hardcore types are around, and that makes the field tougher. This is something I've always suspected)
d) Naxx has somehow changed the arena valuations of many cards and I haven't cottoned on yet, while everyone else has
Anyone have opinions they'd care to share?

Last edited by bldysabba; 09-01-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely arena (and the game in general) is much harder at super off peak hours. I only play at late night (like midnight) and super early morning US time (just before 7am), and for sure it's harder before 7am than at midnight. Sunday mornings in particular are brutal - I managed to get matched up against a legend rank from rank 6 once. I can only imagine that it's easier at peak casual times.

Everyone is kinda better now though, true casuals have kinda moved on by now, and everyone has at least heard of the arena value lists etc. It's harder to coast by on the strength of your draft these days, I find, you have to have some sort of synergy to do well.

Naxx has also changed the meta somewhat, too - some of the new cards are absolutely game changers, like the Undertaker, Death's bite, Dark Cultist and less obviously, Zombie chow and Haunted Creeper. In general, minions tend to stick to the board a lot more, even more than arena used to, and so things like Argus and Cult Master tend to get even more value. AOE is kind of weaker too, given things like Haunted Creeper being auto-picks, more or less.

Still, I think most of what you're seeing is people just getting better at arena.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:55 PM

I also suspect that now that Naxx is over and there are no new events on the horizon, there are fewer casual players playing right now, which means the average arena player is better.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat View Post
Well... I don't know what to tell you. To a certain extent, it's probably your deck - there are many decks which don't rely on legendaries to win.
I'm a casual player, so I'm more interested in learning the cards, seeing what works/what doesn't, and building my own deck rather than borrowing someone else's deck or buying cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby Cat
I laddered up to rank 5 with my no legendary Rogue deck, but it does rely on your knowing what works.
As I said, I'm a casual player. Blow a half hour here or there. Learn the ropes and the cards. I've won plenty of games with my cheapo decks, but since I don't have the wherewithal to actually work at leveling up, I'm happy just playing games in the 18-16 level. What the problem is that at that level, there are simply too many morons with loaded decks. For every evenly matched deck that I play, there are 4 or 5 that have me clearly outgunned. I'll still win some of those, but I don't like playing a game where for every one good, fun game, there are 4 that just suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat
On the other hand, some part of it is probably due to your skill as well.
Yes, Tabby, that must be it.

I'm not claiming to be a force to reckoned with who could dominate if I just had a great deck. I'm just a casual player who enjoys the gameplay and slowly building a deck. But it's no fun when I have to sit through 3 beatings by bad players with Ragnaros and Faceless Manipulators to enjoy one game where strategy and skill actually matter. I'm looking for a game that is fun to play, and the games against other players isn't that.
Quote:
Soooo... I dunno what to tell you.
Not telling me I'm bad at the game might be a start.
Quote:
Glad you had fun with Naxx, I guess?
I did, thanks. It was actually quite fun. You learn the opposing player, they're challenging, but not impossible (although one was just pure luck), and you don't need a superpowerful deck to win (on normal mode, of course, I tried a few heroic and had fun, but soon crapped out). I also enjoyed the Class Challenges because it gives me the chance to experience new cards and see how they work.

And that's the difference in a nutshell. When I play against the developers, they actually make an effort to make the contest fair; with decks being relatively even in strength. But when I play some idiot with nothing in their hand less than a white, it's completely unbalanced and no fun.

I don't mean to take away from your enjoyment of the game; you're clearly invested in it. But for a casual player like myself, the program that matches you with another online player is broken and results in too many games that are unfair. Which wouldn't bug me so much if I were at level 13 or above, but when I'm at level 20, it's frustrating as hell.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Coincidentally, I just got into this game last night, leveled my starting Mage to 12 or so, and generally had a good time. I've never played a CCG in my life.

But Hamlet's experience cautions me; I will never be more than a casual player. Can I likely continue to have fun playing just single-player, perhaps with an occasional Arena? Hamlet, is your primary complaint about Ranked play, and other PvP modes (casual, arena) are OK?
Old 09-08-2014, 03:23 PM

You'll see the same thing in ranked and unranked play. It's just something everyone goes through when they start playing. If you can't accept that you'll get blown out every so often by legendary-rarity cards, you're going to be frustrated. If you can handle that and play through your quests, you'll have a good time getting more cards and seeing your prospects improve.

Last edited by Palooka; 09-08-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:22 PM

The game can be fun but it can also be very frustrating even to those who have all the cards. The top-ranked streamers / pros talk about the huge amount of luck involved in the game. Long losing streaks happen to everybody; the good news is that up until Rank 5 the bonus for winning streaks makes it possible to rank up even while winning less than 50% of your games.

It will take a very long time (hundreds of hours) to get the complete set of cards by grinding in free to play mode. Some people get lucky and get a playable legendary or two quickly but most will not. The solution to not having the big cards is right in front of you all the time – you can pay.

The game is designed to get the maximum money very quickly out of those who are inclined to pay. You can't just buy the cards you want, you have to buy packs and hope to get the cards you want. While it is possible to get lucky, more common is people spending $200 to $600 to get the cards they want. Even with a complete set of cards, there are still long losing streaks. Frustration is built into the game.

It is still possible to climb the ranks with F2P cards, gradually building your card collection and hoping to get that legendary card you want. Look for streamers like Trump, Reynad, and Kolento (among others) for guidance on building a playable F2P deck.

I have enjoyed the game in F2P mode. The first couple of months I played a lot, now I pretty much just play enough for the daily quests and play an Arena when I have enough gold. I did finally get a playable legendary (Leeroy Jenkins), but it really hasn't made much of a difference in my win rate.

A skilled, experienced player with a reasonably composed basic deck will beat an unskilled player with a fistful of rare and legendary cards over 50% of the time. In other words, becoming a better player will make a bigger difference in your win rate than spending $600 for all the cards.

I'm not knocking people saying they are bad players. I'm saying “Don't spend $600 thinking it will make you win more.” Only spend the money if you really enjoy the game and are ranking up satisfactorily with a basic deck and you want to play against the very high level Legend rank players.

Personally, I don't expect the game to have a very long life. The frustration new players feel when they get pounded by big cards will drive many away. Blizzard doesn't care about those players; they want the ones who will buy the packs hoping to eliminate the frustration. The game is designed to extract the maximum amount of money as quickly as possible from those who are willing to pay.

When those players find out they still aren't winning, they too will leave the game. There will be a small hardcore group remaining, but there is no income stream for Blizzard from long-term players. Once it becomes too expensive to recruit new players who will buy large numbers of packs, the servers will shut down.

Still, it's a playable game, and a lot fun … until it isn't fun any more.

Last edited by Turble; 09-08-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

I dunno about that, Magic's monetisation scheme is far, far worse than Hearthstone's, and it's doing fine. All TCG monetisation schemes are like that, really.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your post, though. Cards are options - there's not a single card in the game that you "need" to win, or will win you games just by being in the deck.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:17 PM

Has Blizzard released any data about number of players or how it's changed over time? Would be interesting to see.
In other news, I finally built myself an almost complete miracle rogue deck(No van cleef), and I must say, it's really fun to play(even though I don't play ranked all that much). You almost always have some options and the deck is competitive no matter what you're going up against.
Now if only I can stop shadowstepping Leeroy, before I attack with him...
Old 09-11-2014, 09:11 AM

The game started working for me a few days ago for some reason. (Previously, it would just hang at the opening screen.)

Pretty fun! I'm terrible!

Quick newbie question: Do you just get one quest a day, or is there a way to get more than one in a single day? (I assume if you go two days without completing one, they stack up. But I'm just wondering if there's a way to accumulate more than one.)

Probably not because the current rate has me constantly just on the brink of springing for a couple of bucks here and there and I imagine that's exactly where they want me But anyway I thought I'd ask.