Old 04-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

The objective is always up in Blackheart's (which is the reason that's the only map where it might be worthwhile). Note that I did not say to wait for the chests, but only to do it that way if you could get it from things that were already available. As in, if you're three coins away, and there are two pirate camps spawned on the map already, or something like that.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
No dude, you need to end the game as soon as you can. It's a horrible habit to get into waiting for the objective to pop. I've lost way too many games because people do that, the enemy gets a pick or two, then they push to win. Comebacks happen.

I see overaggressiveness way more often than underaggressiveness. Teams that are way ahead - they're 3 forts ahead, 2 or 3 levels ahead, and they think they can just push really hard and end the game, so they get reckless. They keep pushing the enemy base even though momentum is against them, they're all low on health, and the enemy team is all about to respawn together on them. And then they all die, and that's when the enemy turns it around, when if they would've just kept playing the way they had been playing to get that point it would've been a definite win. People smell blood and get reckless.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I see overaggressiveness way more often than underaggressiveness. Teams that are way ahead - they're 3 forts ahead, 2 or 3 levels ahead, and they think they can just push really hard and end the game, so they get reckless. They keep pushing the enemy base even though momentum is against them, they're all low on health, and the enemy team is all about to respawn together on them. And then they all die, and that's when the enemy turns it around, when if they would've just kept playing the way they had been playing to get that point it would've been a definite win. People smell blood and get reckless.
Overzealous is definitely a thing that needs to be watched. But I see a lot of times when 3+ of the enemy of dead past about twenty minutes then the team screws around until respawn despite having numbers. There's been plenty of times when we've played together when I've said that the other team should push because there's no way we could defend. Those are the situations I'm taking about.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:44 PM

Oh, yeah. Same with people getting the boss during the curse on cursed hollow - the best strategy is almost always to push, not to go off and get something that will help you 20 seconds after the curse is over. That sort of thing happens all the time.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Wait, during the curse? People actually do that? Ugh. Even if you could time it so you finished the boss just as the curse was starting, that wouldn't really do much for you.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:38 PM

I dunno, it depends, sometimes it's worth it just to deny the enemy team the boss on their side of the map. But yeah, 90% of the time it's best to just push.

I think the temptation is that timings for the boss on Hollow are really tight, since most team fights happen over tributes, and tributes are (IMO too) rapid fire. That and the idea that your lanes can take care of themselves during the curse (which is sort of true, but you won't get much done that way).

Really, the best thing to do on most maps is to get the boss IMMEDIATELY BEFORE an objective happens, but timing that properly is very hard. I know when I try I usually end up mistiming and then either missing the fight or sucking it up and leaving a half-dead mercenary camp having accomplished nothing.

I'd say the exception is if you have a high level Rexxar. He can easily solo the boss while the rest of the team pushes, and missing one warrior won't be a huge burden on your pushing ability.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Really, you think so? I feel like tributes are too far between. The tributes don't come much more quickly than, say, Sky Temple activations, but you need three tributes to actually do anything compared to a single temple.

For me, the time to get the Hollow boss is when you've taken out all of the enemy keeps (presumably with help from the curse), but they're doing a good job of defending the core. At that point, the curse will accomplish very little, but the boss can give you the little bit of extra oomph you need for that last push.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Really, you think so? I feel like tributes are too far between. The tributes don't come much more quickly than, say, Sky Temple activations, but you need three tributes to actually do anything compared to a single temple.

For me, the time to get the Hollow boss is when you've taken out all of the enemy keeps (presumably with help from the curse), but they're doing a good job of defending the core. At that point, the curse will accomplish very little, but the boss can give you the little bit of extra oomph you need for that last push.
Once you're losing on Raven Lord, in the late game the curses become really rapid compared to the respawn timer. An enemy with any degree of map control and momentum has to really screw up to not have a death knell prepared for the other team going for the tribute.

And I guess that's a use for the boss, but bosses and mercs tend to be best used to give the enemy a choice. Either defend the lane from the boss/mercs or go for objectives/push. The value in mercs isn't in the pushing potential so much as the ultimatum.

Of course, you can use that ultimatum whichever way you want. If you call that they're going for the tribute, but it doesn't matter, you can have your team punish them by pushing with the mercs instead. If you need the tribute, you can delay them in the teamfight (or hope they send one person to take care of the mercs and fight you 4v5) and either take a few structures via the mercs, hopefully also getting the objective.

Mercs aren't really that great at pushing simply because heroes can take them out so quickly. Their real value is in forcing the enemy team to make decisions or split their numbers. The only real exception is if the enemy team is dead, in which case they can help a bit, but usually your team is going to push much farther by pushing themselves rather than getting mercs and then pushing (boss excepted because it takes so damn long to kill). The only real reason to get mercs after you have control is to deny the enemy team the mercs on their side of the map, and also a little bit of psychological warfare.

Last edited by Jragon; 04-09-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

OK, so I'm playing Abathur on the free weekend, to get him up to 5, and I keep getting inactivity warnings. At the start of every game, as soon as the gates open, I place a few mines, ooze out to a position where I think my locusts will be synchronized with the waves, and find a hero to symbiote. And every time so far, I get red text on my screen that if I don't participate within 45 seconds, I'll be kicked out of the game. What's going on? Of course I haven't done anything meaningful yet at that point, because nobody has: We haven't yet met the enemy. If anything, I've participated more than anyone else, because I've actually used an ability (albeit one that won't trigger for a while).
Old 04-09-2016, 09:25 AM

There's zero reason to be hatted unless you're actively using your abilities. Keep placing mines until it's time to jump into the hat to start shooting stuff.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
OK, so I'm playing Abathur on the free weekend, to get him up to 5, and I keep getting inactivity warnings. At the start of every game, as soon as the gates open, I place a few mines, ooze out to a position where I think my locusts will be synchronized with the waves, and find a hero to symbiote. And every time so far, I get red text on my screen that if I don't participate within 45 seconds, I'll be kicked out of the game. What's going on? Of course I haven't done anything meaningful yet at that point, because nobody has: We haven't yet met the enemy. If anything, I've participated more than anyone else, because I've actually used an ability (albeit one that won't trigger for a while).
You should be closest to the gate as possible as Abba so you aren't wasting your locust.

I rarely hat Heroes.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:09 AM

I just had the most ridiculous game on dragon shire. Last week I had a game where the first dragon didn't come out until 12 minutes in, which seemed crazy long. I just had one where the first dragon wasn't picked up until 23 minutes in. We were damaging the enemy team's inner fortresses by the time we finally got him. It was the longest objective anyone in this game has ever seen.

What's frustrating is that there were 2 or 3 times my team had a narrow opportunity to get the dragon and just fucked up stupidly. Falstead wasted his Z a couple of times to go nowhere important where he could've used it to go to the middle, and once when we killed most of the enemy team, the other people on my team half-capped bottom and then just started moving on and laning without fully capping it. We had someone left in position to take it, and the enemy team was on the run - they just decided DERP IT'S HALF CAPPED GOOD ENOUGH LATERS.

We won, so it goes down as silly rather than frustrating.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

OK, I appreciate the advice on playing Abby (though it won't be of much use to me long-term, since I'd already decided I'm not too fond of him), but that still doesn't answer the question: Why am I getting warned for inactivity at a stage of the game when everyone is inactive?
Old 04-09-2016, 11:16 AM

If several people on your team report you AFK, that will start a timer that will force you to take action. I don't know why they would be doing so, or if that's the reason, but that seems like the most likely cause.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:19 AM

AFK just means not moving or using actions. If you're sitting in one place and looking around the map, you're going to get AFK warnings. Even as Abathur.

So, again, keep dropping mines until it's time to hat somebody.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:39 PM

AI probably has different rules.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Obviously the bots weren't reporting me AFK. I guess just not moving does it, because I was dropping mines. Ah, well, it's not like I actually got kicked, and what's one more weird edge case when you're playing Abathur?
Old 04-10-2016, 11:35 AM

That's weird. My abathur is level 9 and I've never gotten an AFK warning.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:36 AM

I tried all heroes I haven't played yet over the weekend and got all but cho and butcher up to level 5, and I can finish those guys this week. Big gold injection, now I'm sitting on 30k.

Biggest surprise of the weekend - I seem pretty good at abathur, murky, and lost vikings right off the bat. And I think I may actually buy all 3. I've only played 2 rounds of lost vikings, but in one game we were 220 average MMR behind the other team, and in the other 110 - so both times we were the worse team - and yet I had 2-3 the xp of the next highest player on the team, top siege damage by 2x, and comparable hero damage to my teammates and basically carried the teams by ensuring they were always 2-3 levels ahead. Two is a small sample size, but considering the vikings are the hardest heroes to play, and we were at a deficit against the other team, that's a good start.

I'm actually enjoying all three more than any of the stronger heroes I was considering (thrall, xul, zagara) - those are all good, but they don't fundamentally change the way the game is played, whereas the whacky heroes do.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:41 AM

I tried out Dehaka and enjoyed him way more than I thought I would. His kit seemed kind of boring, but I had a ton of fun with him. I will definitely be buying him when they drop his price to 10k.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:04 AM

I fucking hate quickmatch. Over the weekend I've seen people intentionally feed (15+ deaths) and when I asked them not to, they said LOL IT'S QUICKMATCH THIS IS WHAT IT'S FOR. I had several people afk in various matches, when I asked my team to report them (so we'd get a bot) one of the guys says LOL IT'S QM WHO CARES. I've had people AFK for at least 1 minute in 7 different games in the last 24 hours alone.

I was just playing my third match as lost vikings. We were doing really well. We killed 2 of hteir forts, they killed one of ours. We were up level 12 to 10. Kills were even between the teams. We split objectives. We were solidly ahead. No one was talking any shit or anything. Suddenly one guy says "man u guys are dipshits, I'm gonna afk" and then proceeds to do so. We quickly lose a game where we were going to win. For no reason at all. No one even did anything wrong, we were playing fine and winning.

Two games before that, I had a li ming who moved to the outer fortress at the beginning of the game and AFKed for 6 minutes. He took one action every minute or so, just to move briefly, so they didn't get autokicked. We kept reporting and they did get auto-kicked at 6 minutes in, and then came back 5 minutes later (we were actually doing amazingly well considering we were down a player, and we were going to come back and win with the bot) and they came back and AFKed again, tanking our shot at winning.

What the fuck is wrong with people? You don't have to be super competitive, but that's not that. That's deliberately sabotaging your team for no fucking reason.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Dehaka certainly isn't how I pictured him. His drag is much harder to use effectively than Stitches' hook, which I thought would be the closest comparison, mostly due to the shorter range (you can't really use it once an enemy has started retreating). On the other hand, his self-healing is really good, and his z ability is great for getting where you need to be quickly. Only emerging in bushes isn't much of a limitation, when most of the interesting spots on a map have bushes near them anyway.

I didn't have as much time to play this weekend, so I only got Abathur to 5 and Dehaka to 4, but most of mine were already 5 before this weekend, so it won't be long until I've finished the rest of them (except for ChoGall; don't know when I'll get around to finishing them).

And I, too, fail to understand the notion that "that's what QM is for": If you don't want to play, then why play?
Old 04-11-2016, 12:40 PM

I really love Lost Vikings. I'm now 6-1 if you discount the game where we were winning and one of the guys deliberately AFKed to make us lose. Since vikings are a tough hero, that's a really good start. Not only am I holding my own, but I'm usually carrying my team. I sometimes have more siege damage than everyone else combined, and almost as much experience as everyone else combined. Maybe I've found what I'm good at.

Unfortunately Li-Ming's trait is completely broken in regards to the vikings (and murky too) - killing one shouldn't reset all the abilities. Since those deaths only count for 1/4, it should only take 1/4 the cooldown off her abilities. Otherwise I have to just steer clear of her otherwise I'm a free way for her to reset her cooldowns. It's okay, though, she's only in about 75% of QM games.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 04-11-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:58 PM

I'm pretty good at split focus and managing multiple things at once, I've always been pretty decent at RTS games for that reason. I not only managed to rack up massive push/siege and XP, but they can be really useful for getting objectives done too. I had match on dragon shire where I was able to solo cap the dragon knight twice - having one of my guys at each shrine and the third one pick up the dragon knight in the middle - while my team distracted them by fighting elsewhere on the map. On Garden of Terror I was able to control the terror using only 1/3rd of my characters, getting full use out of the terror while still doing useful stuff with the other two.

I love that they get their theme song when you use the viking longship, but the other ult is just too good to pass up on. Talent wise I mostly buff up baelog because he's a pushing machine.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I fucking hate quickmatch. Over the weekend I've seen people intentionally feed (15+ deaths) and when I asked them not to, they said LOL IT'S QUICKMATCH THIS IS WHAT IT'S FOR. I had several people afk in various matches, when I asked my team to report them (so we'd get a bot) one of the guys says LOL IT'S QM WHO CARES. I've had people AFK for at least 1 minute in 7 different games in the last 24 hours alone.
You need to get a buddy who's rank 20-25 or so and just queue with him until you get yourself back into the high 30s and out of whatever hellpit MMR you've gotten yourself into.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

While SenorBeef has certainly got himself into a hellpit, I'm not convinced it's due to his MMR. While people who play like he describes will necessarily have a low MMR (because intentional feeding and the like will decrease MMR), the reverse is not true: There are probably plenty of people with similarly-bad MMRs, even honestly-earned ones, who are polite and just plain bad at the game. The polite-but-just-plain-bad people should produce enough reports of the toxic players to make a pattern evident, and hence lead to the toxic players getting weeded out.

What I think more likely is that SenorBeef has instead somehow gotten himself onto a Blizzard list of toxic players. How, though, I do not know.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:29 PM

No, it doesn't work that way. HotS does not have a toxic player pool, though I badly wish it did.

He's near rank 40, and players can't drop below 40 no matter how hard they suck. If his rank is low enough, he's going to be stuck queuing into matches with toxic players who don't care about winning games. All that matters is that they're throwing games and he's suffering for it. It's like trying to climb out of the river Styx when all the undead dudes are clawing at your ankles.

So he needs to queue with a friend whose ranking is high enough that he'll get placed into matches in a higher tier. If Beef is ranked at 38 and he queues with somebody at 22, he'll get into a match with a bunch of players around 30, which is plenty high enough to be out of the pool of toxic shit he's in. The players there still kind of suck (I speak from experience because that's where I am), but they're not nearly as bad as what he's been describing.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 04-11-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
That's weird. My abathur is level 9 and I've never gotten an AFK warning.
In the recent giant balance patch, they reworked the AFK system to be more aggressive, they may have overtuned it a bit.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
You need to get a buddy who's rank 20-25 or so and just queue with him until you get yourself back into the high 30s and out of whatever hellpit MMR you've gotten yourself into.
You're right, in response to the stuff I was posting a few weeks ago about the terrible teammates. In this case I was talking about quickmatch and the "lol it's quickmatch, who cares if I take a 10 minute afk in the middle of the game" attitude I've seen a lot. That probably gets better with better MMR of course.

I've actually dug myself out of the hole a little bit. I got as low as a 950 MMR and I'm back up to 1250. Got my overall winrate in QM from 45% to 48%. In HL, I got from level 40 to 33.

Unfortunately I do have a friend who's just like you said - rank 25 or so and plays with me a lot - but I have the opposite issue with him. He won't play HL because he thinks people take it too seriously. I hate playing QM because people won't take it seriusly enough "lol it's qm why try to win". It's unfortunate because when I do play with him I feel like I'm placed much closer to my skill level than when I play alone.

Quote:
While SenorBeef has certainly got himself into a hellpit, I'm not convinced it's due to his MMR. While people who play like he describes will necessarily have a low MMR (because intentional feeding and the like will decrease MMR), the reverse is not true: There are probably plenty of people with similarly-bad MMRs, even honestly-earned ones, who are polite and just plain bad at the game. The polite-but-just-plain-bad people should produce enough reports of the toxic players to make a pattern evident, and hence lead to the toxic players getting weeded out.

What I think more likely is that SenorBeef has instead somehow gotten himself onto a Blizzard list of toxic players. How, though, I do not know.
I think you're kinda right. But the people who do have the attitude of "lol it's qm, time to take an afk" are obviously going to be in the lower MMR in general, so I can probably escape the frequency of them by getting a higher MMR. But it's not like I've got awful shit tier MMR - 1250 is below average but no totally awful.

As far as I know, HOTS doesn't have a seperate toxic queue - you can be globally silenced, but not placed with groups of bad players. All of these "lol it's qm" players are just normal players, as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
In the recent giant balance patch, they reworked the AFK
system to be more aggressive, they may have overtuned it a bit.
Oh, it's definitely not too aggressive. I've never gotten an AFK warning except for afk-like behavior, like not issuing any commands at all for 45 seconds. And then it's really obvious it's giving you the warning and giving you plenty of time. I actually wish it was a lot more aggressive because I get people who hit "ready" for a QM and then AFK a LOT, missing the first minute or two of the match without getting picked.

QM really needs a thing where it asks everyone "are you here and ready?" when it pops up, because lately 30-40% of the games involve someone who's afk at the start for at least a minute.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:59 PM

Yeah sorry, I'm conflating HL ranks with QM MMR, but the principal is the same. If you play with somebody who has a higher QM MMR, you'll still get into matches with a higher average ranking and be with higher overall players, which will improve your quality of life.

For a while I was up in the platinum league, and I never saw shit like that. I've since fallen towards the top of the gold rankings, which is a bit worse but still okay.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:12 AM

Had my first Kael'Thas exploiter in a game today. I told him he's an asshole for cheating, and that even if we win, it's tainted because he cheated to get there. He kept talking about how I was "a white knight" and a mormon. He even tried the "it's not cheating, it's in the game" even though they hotfixed it to remove KT from HL and are patching it out ASAP. Delusional.

Even though he cheated, he was still awful, racking up 9 deaths in 14 minutes and getting outdamaged by every other player in the game. And we got crushed.

I honestly don't think you can cheat at video games and be a good person. If you're so emotionally immature that you get gratification from cheating, as though you were actually successful, you're developmentally retarded. And if you're doing it just to ruin everyone else's time, you're just an asshole.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 04-12-2016 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Had my first Kael'Thas exploiter in a game today. I told him he's an asshole for cheating, and that even if we win, it's tainted because he cheated to get there. He kept talking about how I was "a white knight" and a mormon. He even tried the "it's not cheating, it's in the game" even though they hotfixed it to remove KT from HL and are patching it out ASAP. Delusional.

Even though he cheated, he was still awful, racking up 9 deaths in 14 minutes and getting outdamaged by every other player in the game. And we got crushed.

I honestly don't think you can cheat at video games and be a good person. If you're so emotionally immature that you get gratification from cheating, as though you were actually successful, you're developmentally retarded. And if you're doing it just to ruin everyone else's time, you're just an asshole.
They're fixing the bug today, which is good.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:14 AM

Today's patch is buffing the secondary heroics of a lot of under/unused heroic tier abilities. Funnily, I'm one of those scrubs who almost always picks Falling Sword for Johanna so I am quite stoked about the massive damage boost. After the last buff that increased the "targeting reticle" speed to the same as the regular movement rate, I think this makes it much better than most folks give it credit for.

On the whole I don't think we'll see much overall change in pick percentages except perhaps for Stage Dive, which already sees play against team comps with heavy CC.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 04-12-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:01 AM

Playing another Lost Vikings game. On battlefield of eternity, so already a bad map for TLV. The first 2 immortals we lost by about 15% hp. I said "I'll lane during immortal fights, everyone go", but our azmodan wouldn't leave his lane to go fight the immortal, which is why we narrowly lost twice. He wasn't even pushing a base or anything, just normal laning as if he was unaware of what was going on.

I said "azmo, during the immortal fight go help the team, I can lane, you need to help the objective"

And he says "Oh I don't help with the objective? fine" and then during the immortal phase for the rest of the game, he would hearth back to the fountain and sit there.

I'm not making it up - I'll send people the replays if they think I'm lying. I can be toxic when people are being fucking deliberate idiots, so I'm not trying to cover for myself, but I really was just normal/constructive/explanatory and he fucking took such great offense that he decided to tank the game.

I think this may be the end of me playing QM except when I have to. I was worried TLV would get teammates mad if I picked them in HL, but fuck them, I'm actually a really good TLV.

In fact, if you count the two games where we were ahead when a teammate deliberately went AFK both times as wins, I'm 9-1 in my first 10 games with them.

I had two of my longest games today. By the HOTSlog counter (which I think counts pregame time which the game clock doesn't), I had a match of 35:08, and then 3 games later, 35:35. The latter game was 2 seconds shorter than my all time longest game.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

So what was the Kael'Thas exploit?

And I can sort of see where that Azmodan player was coming from: Az is a very good laner, and so ordinarily it would be a reasonable use of his time to lane for XP while the rest of the team went after the objective. But just because I can see where he's coming from, doesn't mean I agree with where he ended up: Vikings are better at that job, and regardless, just hanging out in the Hall is certainly not the right course of action.

And for what it's worth, All Shall Burn works quite nicely at burning down an immortal. And you can do that and still toss an occasional fireball into the nearest lane, or send a trooper or lieutenant down.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:43 PM

Living bomb could be spammed with no cooldown or mana cost.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:42 PM

Okay, I guess I should stop having hope that anyone with a higher rank and in HL is any less retarded than the QM scrubs. Played my first HL game with vikings today. Map is cursed hollow.

They pick Falstead.
We get second two picks: TLV, Jaina
They pick Muradin, Lunara
We pick... Abathur, Zagara. Our last guy is showing sylvanas all match. I ask if the last guy can heal.
They pick Sylvanas, Kharazim.

Oh, whew, at least our guy won't entertain the notion of picking Sylvanas because they took her, and he can heal now.

He instant picks Gazlowe.

On a team with lost vikings, abathur, zagara, jaina, no healer and no tank, with more than its share of specialist heroes, he picked Gazlowe.

And within 8 minutes, Mr. Gazlowe is apparently unhappy with the amount of success his team is having in teamfights, so he then proceeds to AFK for the next 5 minutes before finally being picked.

And we weren't even scrub tier. I was playing with someone with a higher MMR than me, so we were all mid-20s rank.

So my hope of climbing out of my pit to get to games where at least people had two brain cells to rub together is apparently doomed.

Oh, and in chat, they blamed me, first (second) pick vikings. Not 4th pick Abathur or last pick Gazlowe. Even though I was the only reason we were in the game at all.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:54 PM

I have literally very had nearly as bad experiences that you've had.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:05 PM

We should try out team league.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

BOE is actually pretty good for TLV. Just have the team drag out the immortal and soak like wooooooo

But you were already doing that.

That Azmodan sounds pretty toxic. I would report for non-participation.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Woo boy. Senor, if this is you http://www.hotslogs.com/Player/Match...ayerID=4238174

I feel sorry for you. Enjoy your stay in MMR hell, hopefully you get out soon.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat View Post
Woo boy. Senor, if this is you http://www.hotslogs.com/Player/Match...ayerID=4238174

Yeah, it sounds brutal. Like I've said, and I'm not saying this just to be nice, but I've played with him and he really isn't that bad. He deserves to be higher than he is.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, the tip off is the winstreak just giving single (!!) or low double digit MMR.

Also, Mr. AFK Azmodan was actually level 16 (!!!)

Like, yeesh.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Cat View Post

Yeah, that's me. Could you be more specific in terms of what about my profile is pitiable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
Yeah, it sounds brutal. Like I've said, and I'm not saying this just to be nice, but I've played with him and he really isn't that bad. He deserves to be higher than he is.
High praise! I'm usually pretty bad with new heroes (you saw me just fuck it up with Morales over the weekend) but I'm good with most of the heroes I play regularly. I somehow seem to be a magnet for getting the guy on my team that's so bad that he single handedly sinks the team by going 1v5 at critical moments or doing other fuckups.

I've been slowly digging my way out. I was at the bottom not too long ago - 950 in QM and rank 40 in HL. Got up to 1250 and 33. But it's a slow grind out.

I can only hope that when they release the season (kinda ridiculous that we're in preseason) that it gives everyone a true reset, and doesn't just continue to place you based on what your previous MMR says.

Rand has two accounts - on one, he's 1600 MMR, then he got a fresh start and his new one is 2500 MMR. I mean, if the same guy can have a 1600 MMR and be stuck there, and then create a new account and have a 2500 MMR... clearly your system is broken.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:10 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, there have been cases where people make new accounts and shoot to rank 1 in 30 games or something ridiculous.

It seems like MMR is getting too confident too quickly, which means that people that have been playing for a while (especially new players perform badly initially but who have improved quickly) get stuck with TERRIBLE MMR. And since the system is confident in your MMR it doesn't move you unless you play many many games. Hopefully they do a reset soon.

Yours seems like a pretty clear case of MMR hell. Those teammates, yeesh.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Rand has two accounts - on one, he's 1600 MMR, then he got a fresh start and his new one is 2500 MMR. I mean, if the same guy can have a 1600 MMR and be stuck there, and then create a new account and have a 2500 MMR... clearly your system is broken.
Yeah, it's worse with HL. Old account MMR: 1500. New account MMR: 3000. That doesn't make much sense. I agree that MMR settles way too quickly. A lot of people are hit hard by learning the game early on but then the game thinks they're still at their level a year later.

I do feel like I'm where I should be in QM. Rounds have been fairly balanced for me, with a lot of back and forth. When we lose it's because we messed up somewhere.

I feel out of depth with my new HL. I've been winning, but it's possible I've been carried (although I main support). Matches feel frantic and I'm mentally drained after.

Last edited by RandMcnally; 04-13-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:15 AM

Dustin Browder's teasing the impending end of the HL preseason, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't know if they ever plan on resetting QM MMR.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:57 AM

Playing infernal shrines. We're behind in the hero kill count 5-15. But we're up 1 level because of vikings awesomeness. Game is tied at 28-28 in core health.

Rehgar sits AFK in the corner. I say "rehgar is afk, report" and he says "no rehgar is sitting out, you guys are pathetic, 5-15"

We play 3 minutes and get behind until he's finally kicked. When the bot replaces him, we start doing well again. He comes back 5 minutes later and then proceeds to AFK again. We lost the game when the enemy had a core health of 3. Super close game.

Gee, do you think the 8 minutes of the game that one of our players, and our only healer, voluntarily sat out because we were so bad and the game just couldn't be won might've made a difference?

I now have 18 games as vikings. I have 6 losses. 3 of those losses, fully half of them, would've otherwise been wins if not for deliberate AFK by teammates. I would be 15-3 if not for complete shitbags. This is absurd.

Edit: Oh, in that same game, we were at the 13 minute mark. Rexxar says "Hammer, are you trolling?" - Hammer has 60k siege damage and 30k hero damage at this point. Rexxar has 9k siege damage and 8k hero damage. For perspective, the enemy lili has 22k siege damage and 11k hero damage. I said "uh Rexxar, considering lili has more than twice your damage I don't think hammer is the problem" and he says "lol I'm a tank"

So yes, even with a deliberate AFKer, and a terrible rexxar, I almost carried that team to a win, losing only by 3-0. And I lose matchmaking rating. It's like I'm the victim of some weird social experiment to see how much I'll take before quiting the game.

And yeah, I said I wasn't going to keep playing QM. I don't plan to. I've just really wanted to play vikings, and I would only pick them in hero league in the right map/team composition/absense of enemy Li-ming, so I've been playing QM just to play them. But with 50% of my losses coming from QM shitbags deliberately losing the game, I may have to give that up.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 04-13-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:03 AM

I did have a game the other night when the enemy got a couple of picks the first few minutes, so our Sonya said, "I'm not playing with scrubs" then proceeded to fuck around the the first three shrines, which we lost. Luckily for us, deaths for the first few minutes don't really matter, soaking is more important. But despite being down our warrior we kept playing and doing pretty well.

Look who decided to start playing again once we started winning? We won the match but I still reported. Dick.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:14 AM

I don't even play Azmodan but I'm pretty sure I need Azmodunk