Old 11-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

(load up the game on PC for the first time)

(go to remap the movement keys from WASD to the numpad, as I do with every single game I play because I use the moust with my left hand and WASD is awkward and uncomfortable to me)

(The game tells me that the numpad is "reserved" and I'm not allowed to bind keys to it)

Well, that's $65 down the crapper. Wake me when someone comes up with a mod for what should be a basic function of the game.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
(load up the game on PC for the first time)

(go to remap the movement keys from WASD to the numpad, as I do with every single game I play because I use the moust with my left hand and WASD is awkward and uncomfortable to me)

(The game tells me that the numpad is "reserved" and I'm not allowed to bind keys to it)

Well, that's $65 down the crapper. Wake me when someone comes up with a mod for what should be a basic function of the game.
I'd recommend maybe a game pad, or better yet, a steam controller as that lets you remap anything to anything and it also happens to be awesome for this game.

But yeah, Beth just dropped the ball on the PC UI, as usual.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
Compare that to me spending all of maybe an couple of hours in all of Skyrim's 200+ hours playing around with my home bases.
I take it you didn't build and insert your own home with the toolkit?
I probably spent half as much time building my perfect home base for storage and crafting as I did playing.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I take it you didn't build and insert your own home with the toolkit?
I probably spent half as much time building my perfect home base for storage and crafting as I did playing.
Nah, toolkit was too far removed from the game for me to mess with. I did download a few homes from the Nexus, but I barely used them.

I just watched an IGN video on making large warehouses in Fallout 4, and now I want to tear it all down and start from scratch! Deforestation ahoy!
Old 11-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd recommend maybe a game pad, or better yet, a steam controller as that lets you remap anything to anything and it also happens to be awesome for this game.
Ehh. I've never found a controller to be superior to keyboard+mouse for anything besides fighting games. I'll just wait until someone comes up with a mod.

(Now that I think about it, Skyrim had this exact same problem. I guess none of Bethesda's coders, executives, or beta testers are left-handed.)
Old 11-10-2015, 03:43 PM

I guess there's no point in avoiding bobble heads until later this Time around, as Special boosts can be taken multiple times?
Old 11-10-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Ehh. I've never found a controller to be superior to keyboard+mouse for anything besides fighting games. I'll just wait until someone comes up with a mod.

(Now that I think about it, Skyrim had this exact same problem. I guess none of Bethesda's coders, executives, or beta testers are left-handed.)
Game pads aren't, for sure, however, as you're finding out, this UI is a gamepad UI through and through.

If you're set on mouse ans keyboard, yeah, UI mods are probably your best hope. The Steam controller though is a marriage in gaming heaven between speed and accuracy of mouse (well, mostly) and the analog inputs of a gamepad. For a game like this one, one which could take advantage of the quickness and accuracy of the mouse, but whose UI is hobbled by a gamepad mindset, it's kind of perfect.

I get a great feeling first person shooter experience, and I don't have to fight the controls, neither a horribly gimped right analogue stick for aiming and camera control, nor a very poor UI for mouse and keybaord.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 11-10-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:56 PM

Anyone know if you can scrap stuff outside of your bases? I'm tearing this world apart.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:24 PM

Fuck molotov cocktails. Every time I throw one it snags on some bit of scenery and blows up in my face yet enemies can throw them at me with pinpoint precision from halfway across the goddamn map. Hope someone mods this cheap shit, died more to molotov cocktails than any other thing combined.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
But yeah, Beth just dropped the ball on the PC UI, as usual.
They know it's broken every time. They know how modders always fix it, having been given an example every game of a working UI. You'd think by now they'd just put in a decent UI in the first place. How much effort could that take?

At least so far it appears they won't be charging for mods, profiting off someone else fixing their broken stuff. As far as I know. That would've been an absolute dealbreaker and I'd have sworn off buying another Bethesda game again.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:40 PM

Wow, 445,000+ peak concurrent users on Steam for fallout 4! If previous estimations are anything to go by, that means close 4 million purchases by month's end.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:43 PM

Wow, shit, that's significantly more than skyrim. I guess that's steam growth over the years.

Also puts it into weird perspective that it's number 3. I still can't believe how popular MOBAs are.

Kind of weird to me how much people are in to a rush to play, given how dramatically Bethesda games are improved in the first couple of months and how crappy the vanilla and unpatched experience tends to be.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 11-10-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Wow, shit, that's significantly more than skyrim. I guess that's steam growth over the years.
What is it, 150 million active Steam user now?

Quote:
I still can't believe how popular MOBAs are.
I can't either. Anyone have an hypothesis about their popularity? Can they be played on mobile?

Quote:
Kind of weird to me how much people are in to a rush to play, given how dramatically Bethesda games are improved in the first couple of months and how crappy the vanilla and unpatched experience tends to be.
Waiting here. Hopefully, by the time interesting mods come out, like better textures, it'll have gone on a 25-33% sale for Xmas.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Also puts it into weird perspective that it's number 3. I still can't believe how popular MOBAs are.

It looks like day one peak concurrent users is double what it was for Skyrim back in 2011. It took Skyrim over 3 years to near 10 million sales on PC, I'm guessing Fallout 4 will do it in 2, and will probably go past 10 mill.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's irritating me mightily that after two days of telling me the game would arrive today, Amazon informed me early this morning that, psyche!, it wasn't coming until tomorrow. That one day doesn't matter at all, particularly given that I'll be playing this game off and on for years. Except that during that one day, I'm holding an admittedly irrational grudge. Decades of seeing other people being whiny, entitled shitheads on the internet has taught me to suppress my pettiness online. I grew up in an era when everything took 6-8 weeks for delivery, and I know damned well that the sheer logistics of electronic commerce is one of the wonders of the modern world. I have no cause to bellyache.

Okay, maybe a little: Left Fort Worth at 3:14 a.m.? In Dallas by 10? Why the hell isn't it even on a truck yet? Why isn't Amazon's tracker in sync with USPS' tracker? Bring me the head of Jeff Bezos!

Well... that's clearly out of proportion. But I didn't resort to racism or homophobia! I'm still better than the rest of the Internet.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:03 PM

This is my current mobo:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?it...82E16813130290

ISTM that I can upgrade my current CPU to at meet the minimum, throw 8GB of new RAM in there and spend $100 or $150 on a GPU and noticeably perform either console, for the price of a console.

Yes? My wife wants to know.

YKWIM.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Anyone have any idea how cpu-limited the game might be? My aging cpu is well under "recommended" specs ( i-7 860 Lynnfield ), my gpu is well over ( factory-overclocked GTX 970 ). I can run Witcher 3 at mostly ultra settings ( that Nvidia hair thing aside ) with nary a hitch. Could I assume the same for F4 or is my cpu going to finally start dragging me down?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:03 PM

The minimum recommended AMD processor is AM3 socket just like your motherboard supports, yes. You will need DDR3 RAM if you want to do that, 16GB max. Whether you can outperform console, I cannot say.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
This was an issue with the Games for Windows service I believe. When they shut it down, you couldn't even play the game anymore as the GFW executable was outdated and it wouldn't autopatch.

But I believe they recently removed this from the steam version of the game, and now it runs fine on modern OS's. Same with New Vegas.
I hope so, because I'm downloading Fallout 3 right now. I've had no problems with running New Vegas on Windows 7, other than the occasional crash. In any case I didn't have to make any sort of modifications to get it to run.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Sith Mod

Hey, it's raining. That's a first for the franchise, isn't it?
Old 11-10-2015, 10:19 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

The Pip-Boy looks great, with lots of attention to detail and it actually works as advertised, though I've had trouble getting my Nexus 5 to stay. It almost fits without a ring, but not quite. That said, I can't imagine actually using the thing during game play, because even though it's plastic it is heavy and unwieldy. No idea how I can hold a controller with that thing on my wrist.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:38 PM

Was finally able to sit down with my PS4 for a few hours tonight. Early thoughts:

I really enjoyed the opening sequence. Yes, we all know the Fallout universe's backstory by now, but I still liked playing through a bit of it.

I downloaded the Pip-Boy app on my iPad and propped it up nearby. It is hella useful, and completely negates the need to pull up the minimap in game. It updates everything in real time. Really slick.

The console control scheme thus far seems great. I like that they streamlined getting stuff out of containers.

I probably won't spend much time building up Sanctuary, because it's a bit too freeform for me. I did wander around for a good while and scrap most of the junk I could find. Then I built a generator and left it idling in the middle of an empty lot.

The perk/upgrade system is new enough that I haven't spent anything yet despite leveling a few times. I'm not sure where I want to put anything.

I completely forgot to check for recognized names and used my go-to character name. Worked anyway. Really slick, though it's not in any actual plot dialogue. Just in little acknowledgements from Cogsworth and, presumably, other characters.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 11-10-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:53 PM

So I was curious for those of you who have played a bit. I have a thought in the back of my mind that some of the interface/skills changes are a step towards seeing(again)if the Fallout universe can be MMOed. I know there have been rumors and half-assed attempts for years, but I just have to be curious if the changes seem totally organic.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I have the Steam GOTY edition. I'll try it again tonight and report back.
To update:

Still didn't work. Got to launch screen, then nothing. Don't have the patience to jump through all those hoops again, so fuck it.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
So I was curious for those of you who have played a bit. I have a thought in the back of my mind that some of the interface/skills changes are a step towards seeing(again)if the Fallout universe can be MMOed. I know there have been rumors and half-assed attempts for years, but I just have to be curious if the changes seem totally organic.
It seems like a fairly organic change. I don't doubt that Bethesda is considering a Fallout MMO since Elder Scrolls is doing tolerably well (as well as an MMO can do in a post-WoW market), but I don't see anything in this game that seems like an obvious weather balloon.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
At least so far it appears they won't be charging for mods, profiting off someone else fixing their broken stuff. As far as I know. That would've been an absolute dealbreaker and I'd have sworn off buying another Bethesda game again.
I don't object to modders getting paid for what they do, or even to Bethesda and Valve taking a cut, but the implementation was a deal breaker last time.

Assuming you didn't go for just a donationware model, the best approach would be to let modders make their mods and updates timed exclusives. Choosing to either pay for the mod or get it a month later would be a nice compromise between rewarding modders and not tearing the modding community apart.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
I don't object to modders getting paid for what they do, or even to Bethesda and Valve taking a cut, but the implementation was a deal breaker last time.

Assuming you didn't go for just a donationware model, the best approach would be to let modders make their mods and updates timed exclusives. Choosing to either pay for the mod or get it a month later would be a nice compromise between rewarding modders and not tearing the modding community apart.
The biggest problem with the pay for mods system is that the main things modders do is fix the damn game. Yeah, eventually you see a lot of extra content but the grand majority of stuff you see are fixes that should have been part of the base game and under no circumstance should cost you extra money. I paid 60 dollars for this and almost 30 more for the season pass, i would be angry as hell if i had to pay more when someone comes up with a decent UI mod.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:46 AM

I absolutely object to selling mods in the strongest possible terms. I don't want game developers incentivized to actually make their game worse so that someone else will fix it and then they will sell you that fix in addition to the broken ass game they gave you. Bethesda should never see a cent from someone fixing their game. The monetization would get even more ridiculous.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

I only have 4gb of memory in my computer, but it can hold up to 8gb, the required amount for this game.

1. Has anyone attempted to play the game on low settings with only 4gb of memory?

2. Anyone know how to get 2 4gb memory cheaply? I have a Toshiba Satellite L775. I'd like to pick up memory for a total of around $30. I need it even if my 2012 laptop can't run the game.

Thanks, folks! I hope I can play this! It's been my number one wanted game for a long time!
Old 11-11-2015, 10:02 AM

So what's the best way to get a bunch of copper? I'm trying to put in a bunch of powered lights on my settlement because I hate how dark it is all the time, but all the power-related stuff requires copper, and I only seem to find meager amounts of it.

Generally kinda overwhelmed with the sheer amount of crap I'm stockpiling, since I tend to pick up damn near everything. It's hard to sort through it all and decide what's really worth hanging on to when there's 8 million items that break down into a 20,000 different types of components, and I don't know offhand what all the different possible applications of those components are and how much I'm going to want/need them later, thus the collecting and keeping of every damn thing.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
So what's the best way to get a bunch of copper? I'm trying to put in a bunch of powered lights on my settlement because I hate how dark it is all the time, but all the power-related stuff requires copper, and I only seem to find meager amounts of it.
Hot plates. When crafting you can mark an ingredient as wanted and anything that contains it will have a little magnifying glass next to it when you look at it. Think v is the default key for that on PC, but I've remapped everything so might be wrong.

Adhesive is a real pita for me, never have enough. Trying to
SPOILER:
buff the power armor you get in Concord and customize some guns for an expedition into the Glowing Sea
but everything needs tons of it. PROTIP; if you see vegetable starch, loot it ASAP as it breaks down into 5 precious, precious adhesive.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
Anyone have any idea how cpu-limited the game might be? My aging cpu is well under "recommended" specs ( i-7 860 Lynnfield ), my gpu is well over ( factory-overclocked GTX 970 ). I can run Witcher 3 at mostly ultra settings ( that Nvidia hair thing aside ) with nary a hitch. Could I assume the same for F4 or is my cpu going to finally start dragging me down?
I have the same processor, although mine is overclocked to 3.6GHz. I probably won't fire up the game until this weekend but I can report back on it. I'm using an R9 290X so I'm at recommended spec there.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Is there something wrong with lock picking or do you need to have points in it?
Old 11-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kobayashi View Post
PROTIP; if you see vegetable starch, loot it ASAP as it breaks down into 5 precious, precious adhesive.
A desperate hustle for resources, you say? I haven't experienced that in a Fallout game in years. At this point, I use actual ammo against the rats in the starting cave in Fallout 1, because I know where I'm going to get my hands on my next load of ammo.

In Fallouts 3 and New Vegas you quickly learn that the trouble of casing joints and getting people in position for a pocket picking doesn't pay nearly as well as just running out and killing people. It takes the fun out of being a sneak thief if it is actually slowing the rate at which you acquire your resources.

I guess I'll try for thief again, like in the old days.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:54 AM

Decided to stop with the building and start with the shooting tonight, barely touched the game outside of sanctuary.

Also, Steamspy is saying that Day 1 sales of Fallout on PC were over 1.2 million. I'm guessing day 1 total sales probably break down to something like:

PS4: 2 mill
PC 1.2 mill
Xbone 800k
Old 11-11-2015, 01:22 PM

I got a gtx 750 with only 1gb of vram. I get mostly 50-60 fps on mostly low settings but there's really bad frame rate stuttering in certain areas around diamond city, seems to go away if I drop the resolution down to 1600x900. I might have to get myself a 750 ti (I only have a crappy 300w psu).

Other than that I'm about 10 hours into it. Pretty good so far, much harder than FO3 or NV, even on normal difficulty I'm getting my ass handed to me. Some enemies, like deathclaws, don't seem to be as perceptive as they once were, I can sneak by them pretty easily with only one sneak perk. It seems like essential NPCs are back, I tried to kill that Preston guy because I wanted his hat, but nope, can't be killed.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:28 PM

lockpicking is identical to F3, except with fewer levels. (only 3 perks to increase level, 4th perk makes bobbypins unbreakable, instead of 0, 25, 50, 75, 100)

Instant fails do seem somewhat more common, though.

When I did the Concord mission, fog had rolled in...that deathclaw fight is even nastier when you can't see it more than 20 feet away. So, I cheesed the fight by standing in a doorway. Don't forget to loot the key from the named raider.

Ghouls are actually giving me a tough time - they move so erratically, that I'm having trouble hitting them outside VATS. May have to start using melee against them.

Re: vegetable starch...I'm not sure, but IIRC you can craft that stuff at the cookfires.

I found a military circuitboard that breaks down into 5 or 6 circuitry...(turrets for everyone!)
Old 11-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

It appears that most of the perk ranks are level-bound, which I expected would turn out to be the case. But that means that at least at the beginning you can't hope to build up to be a master at, say, sneaking for the first few levels. It will also tend to encourage being a generalist, because it will make sense to pick up the first level of many perks. No point in trying to recon a likely scheme for myself at this point, then, because I expect to discover what I need to do what I'm trying to accomplish in play.

But I'm kind of bothered about how it makes it basically impossible to define what the hell it was my character was before the bombs fell. I can't already take any career-defining perks.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:38 PM

How do VATS and manual fighting compare?
Old 11-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

I know I'm a lousy cheater, but I often saved before hacking or lockpicking. In Fallout 3, I was locked out for a period if I saved before hacking a computer(and failed).

Did they do this or can I return to my cheating ways and save & hack away?
Old 11-11-2015, 02:48 PM

Much more FPS-like than F3. Enemies (even the lowly molerats) are quick & dodgy compared to the lumbering dolts they used to be.

So far, at least, VATS seems to be intended to be used more sparingly (but you HAVE to use it every once in a while to build up your guaranteed hit & crit meter, so that it's full when you DO need it.) And your action points are used for multiple things beyond VATS such as sprinting, and if the trailer was to judge by, jump jets.

Stuff will change depending on character build - there are perks that improve hip fire or aimed fire or automatic accuracy, VATS accuracy, that can fill your crit meter outside VATS, that increase damage when you chain targets or focus fire in VATS, ad nauseum. The removal of the 0-100 skills was most certainly NOT a dumbing-down of character builds.

I haven't failed a hack yet...but I'm told failing hacking just adds a cooldown, rather than a permanent lockout. You'll save-scum containers anyway, because the contents are randomly determined.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kobayashi View Post
Hot plates. When crafting you can mark an ingredient as wanted and anything that contains it will have a little magnifying glass next to it when you look at it. Think v is the default key for that on PC, but I've remapped everything so might be wrong.

Adhesive is a real pita for me, never have enough. Trying to
SPOILER:
buff the power armor you get in Concord and customize some guns for an expedition into the Glowing Sea
but everything needs tons of it. PROTIP; if you see vegetable starch, loot it ASAP as it breaks down into 5 precious, precious adhesive.
You can harvest any plants you place in your settlements for the components to make adhesive. They grow back every so often, and there are at least two farms where you can pick up plants. Just hold on to them until you get back to your settlement, then plant them.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

WASD issues aside, I will say that the Pipboy app is a delightful addition to the interface. I like being able to equip stuff and fast-travel from my phone without having to pause the game, and having the map open without having to tab over to it is a major bonus (though the local map seems to be broken in the app for now).
Old 11-11-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
How do VATS and manual fighting compare?
I'm finding VATS to be trickier, but I think that's a mainly through panicking as time doesn't stop, while working out the new controls. Fortunately manual fighting seems much slicker with your character moving with the agilty of an FPS.

For the record, I'm playing the game on a PS4 and it is bloody lovely, with minimal glitching and no discernible slow-down - though maybe I'm just not that fussy. The biggest problem I've found is that the save-game thumbnails don't update when over-writing saves.

And a tip to someone upthread - there's the option to dump all junk items from your inventory into the (shared) workshop inventory. Junk is then recycled automatically as you build, if my understanding's correct.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladtobeblazed View Post
I got a gtx 750 with only 1gb of vram. I get mostly 50-60 fps on mostly low settings but there's really bad frame rate stuttering in certain areas around diamond city, seems to go away if I drop the resolution down to 1600x900. I might have to get myself a 750 ti (I only have a crappy 300w psu).

Other than that I'm about 10 hours into it. Pretty good so far, much harder than FO3 or NV, even on normal difficulty I'm getting my ass handed to me. Some enemies, like deathclaws, don't seem to be as perceptive as they once were, I can sneak by them pretty easily with only one sneak perk. It seems like essential NPCs are back, I tried to kill that Preston guy because I wanted his hat, but nope, can't be killed.
You can also try either using Riva statistics server (this comes with Afterburner) to lock your frame rate.

I've gotten great results removing the occasional stutter in some areas by going full screen, removing v-sync (enabling it on the Nvidia panel instead), and locking my frame rate to 60.

If you've got $40 somewhere in couch, I'd recommend a GTX 950 over the 750ti. It should be fine with your 300 watt PSU (only 30 watt max draw higher than the 750ti), and it offers a good 25-40% performance boost over the 750ti.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:30 PM

I'm really starting to dig the weapon modding system. My character is specializing in crafting/modding as much as one can. I got my hands on a couple of laser pistols and was able to alter it until it was a scoped laser rifle. Once I get my hands on some more fiber optics it will be a laser sniper rifle. I suspect that all guns that use the same kind of ammo can be rebuilt into one another. Neat.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronounceable View Post
lockpicking is identical to F3, except with fewer levels. (only 3 perks to increase level, 4th perk makes bobbypins unbreakable, instead of 0, 25, 50, 75, 100)
Why do I see nothing on the screen? I was expecting it to look something like FO3 but there was no lock and no screwdriver visible. That I picked opened the door in the basement of the museum is sheer luck.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:48 PM

You playing on PC? Because, yeah, there should be a lock and bobby pin.

Because that sounds kind of like the "invisible avatar" bug - sometimes the game glitches and doesn't animate the character. Sometimes fixable by entering a conversation, sometimes fixable by a quicksave/quickload.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

The game is in. Having it on disc seems to be saving me zero time because it now requires a 2-and-a-half hour update.

Some notes on the Pip-Boy edition, for those interested.

First of all the case it comes in is neat. It's described on Amazon as "Power Armor Collectible Metal Packaging. Exclusive to the Pip-Boy Edition, this decorated metal case is the ultimate fan collectible." It is not metal, it is plastic. I didn't actually expect it to be metal, but it was advertised as metal. To open it up, you simply squeeze the catches on both sides then flip the top back with your third hand. Actually, it's not that bad once you realize that the latches stay unlatched.

The Pip-Boy itself is obscured by the actual game, which you must remove and put into your drive and then occasionally look up from checking out the Pip-Boy to see that installation has stopped again waiting for you to click on something. This is a vast improvement over the Pip-Boy I got with Fallout 3, which as I've mentioned on this board before came unpainted and with a cheap and battery-guzzling digital clock that loses time. This one has all the printed parts actually printed. It has actually turning dials and pressable buttons.

Whereas the Fallout 3 Pip-Boy had a fake compass with an actual (non-functional) needle on a spindle, the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy has a fake Rads meter whose needle cannot move because it's printed on. The radio dial does have an actual needle, which moves when you turn the dial across a face that doubles as the AM and FM indicator, with no clear way to switch between these modulation modes. I guide in the booklet that comes with it indicates what the other less obvious dials and buttons are meant to represent.

My Galaxy Note 4 will not fit in this thing. I didn't think it would, and I had the heads-up that it would be nigh impossible to actually play the game wearing the damned thing anyway, and inconvenient to have to keep mounting and unmounting my phone.

There is an honest-to-got metal clasp that holds the Pip-Boy shut, and inside a velcro strap allows you to adjust the fit. I think a lot of people probably have arms thicker than mine and really stress out the padded rubber the inside is lined with. Once you've unclasped the thing you can pull back the catch that holds the face plate down. Inside is the tiny space where maybe your tiny ass phone would fit. It came with an assortment of foam pads for different models. Also, under the face plate you can remove the paper blocking the watch batteries from making contact. Now you can press the power button, which causes the power button to light up. And also a light on the top that the manual says is the CRT Overbrite Mode.

The stand it comes with is much better than the one that came with the old Pip-Boy, for what it's worth. It's got a RobCo label that marks it as Pip-Boy 3000 mk IV.

The booklet that comes with the Pip-Boy is a pleasant surprise, because it hearkens back to the humorous manuals that the first two games came with. I'm puzzled that they felt the need to write on the inside cover "Disclaimer! For setup instructions, see pages 12-33. Pages 1-11 & 34-37 of this manual are works of fiction". I hope some game reporter ask somebody about the meeting where it was decided to add that warning. Anyway, it's too much to try to relate the various jokes in the manual itself. Somebody will scan it and put it up on the net. I will mention that there is a page of suggested uses of the case on a page in the back, including propping the lid open with a stick as a vermin trap.

And now my game is halfway done updating from Steam. Is Steam really that busy, or is there no real functional difference between installing from disc and downloading from Steam?
Old 11-11-2015, 05:29 PM

I've heard the disk only has about 5gb on it, leaving approximately 20gb to download...yeah.

Re: the physical pip-boy (the 11/11 comic, if the link doesn't stick)