Old 11-12-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
Goddamned, but this Vault Dweller (I haven't heard what the nickname is going to be this time) is bad ass from the minute you step out of the vault. Not only am I pretty good in a fight, I'm apparently already an expert machinist and I already know how to use power armor.
The player character is called the Sole Survivor this time around. The male Sole Survivor is a veteran, so it's no surprise that he'd know how to use power armor. I couldn't tell you if or how the female sole survivor would know how to use it (ROTC?).

Maybe it's my choice of perks, but I feel like less of a badass (when out of my power armor) compared to in other games. Or at least, enemies seem more dangerous. "That looks like a radscorpion in the distance. Good thing I've got the drop on it; a well-placed bullet from my sniper rifle should take care of it... Shit! Gotta keep shooting, it's almost in melee range! Ow! One of these weapons is bound to deal decent damage to it... Okay, now that that's over, I'll check out this abandoned campground. Oh, fuck, a yao guai!"
Old 11-12-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Why would you even consider the xbone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronounceable View Post
You really don't want this one for the xbox - while the framerate is worse on both consoles, the xbox stutters quite frequently, even dropping to 0 fps on occasion.
That's just rubbish - I've been playing about 20 hours on XB1 and have zero noticeable performance issues. The game looks and plays beautifully. And judging by this thread, people are having a lot more issues on PC.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Question:

I know that Dogmeat can't die, but what about the other companions? When Cogsworth gets killed, he just lays there. I can't figure out how to use a stimpack on him. If I hang around for a while will he get up?

I've just reloaded the game each time because what will I do without my chipper robot deathbutler?
You can't stimpack him because he's a robot (stimpacks are drugs / "chems", which as it happens he also judges you harshly for using most non-healing chems), but you don't need to. He'll get back up, which I presume is the same with all companions.

Codsworth is pretty bad-ass as a companion with his flamethrower + slice & dice, but his aforementioned judgmental nature every time I use a chem or pick a dialogue option that is less than saintly is getting on my nerves.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
That's just rubbish - I've been playing about 20 hours on XB1 and have zero noticeable performance issues. The game looks and plays beautifully. And judging by this thread, people are having a lot more issues on PC.
Yeah, the guy on a 5:4 monitor can't pick locks. I'm sure that affects a huge number of people....

Also, digital foundry says otherwise about the performance of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPZXkdD1RwQ

As does Giant Bomb. As does the video I posted earlier.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:30 PM

I found this post useful for tips.

And the Android iOS app is cool. It lets you do most of your Pip-Boy functions like equip weapons or use items without having to open the Pip-Boy in game. It seems like a battery drainer, though.

Last edited by thelurkinghorror; 11-12-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
No, it's not rubbish. If you have a good gaming PC, it would be insane to choose to play the game on xbone. What issue on PC are you talking about? One guy with a quirk that has an oddball resolution?

Bethesda games are barely the same games on console and PC. No games are better at demonstrating the disparity in capabilities and options on the platform.

And given how many people believe "cinematic" framerates to be either the same or superior to high frame rates, I wouldn't be shocked if you weren't able to perceive performance issues.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
No, it's not rubbish. If you have a good gaming PC, it would be insane to choose to play the game on xbone. What issue on PC are you talking about? One guy with a quirk that has an oddball resolution?

Bethesda games are barely the same games on console and PC. No games are better at demonstrating the disparity in capabilities and options on the platform.

And given how many people believe "cinematic" framerates to be either the same or superior to high frame rates, I wouldn't be shocked if you weren't able to perceive performance issues.
Dude, maybe let up on the console hate and just let people play the game the way they want to?

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 11-12-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:41 PM

Okay, a guy asks "I have a good gaming PC and an xbone. Which should I play it on?"

If this isn't a relevant time for me to list the merits of playing on PC vs console, when would be?
Old 11-12-2015, 08:47 PM

C'mon, it goes way beyond that. You're not even playing the game, yet your first post in this thread was about how shitty the console version is. The other Fallout thread also managed to devolve (yet again) into an argument about consoles vs. PCs.

You can answer a question about which platform to play it on (note that I also said PC, given those two choices) without taking it as an opportunity to once more hammer home your distaste for console gaming.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:55 PM

I've been extremely mild on consoles in this thread. I haven't even ranted about how consoles are the reason they've furthered dumbed down and killed the dialogue in a game that used to be all about dialogue, for example. I've not bashed console users for playing on console - and I really do feel bad for them since they'll never get to see the greatness the game will become - and I've only even talked about it when someone specifically asked, since he was making the choice, which to play on.

The only thing I can think you're thinking is snarky is this comment:
Quote:
But have you ever seen threads, or talked to people who are proud of the fact that they can't, for example, tell the difference between HD and SD TV? I've seen people similarly who say they can't tell the difference between 20-30 and 60 FPS, and seem proud of it. On that basis, I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that one person failing to notice performance issues is definitive. Especially when we know consoles perform the same and have the same bottlenecks, and I've seen those performance issues myself in streams and in videos.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:01 PM

Your clever apophasis aside, I don't care about any of that in this thread. I just want to talk about Fallout.

By this point, can't we take it as a given that you think consoles are the devil? I think you're a good poster, man, and I've enjoyed gaming with you, but maybe you can just put a link to your boilerplate rant in a sig and we can consider it stated.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:03 PM

That's not apophasis. That's relevant proof that I'm not acting in the way that you describe. If I was using this thread as a place for anti-console rants, that's the sort of thing I would've posted about, but I didn't.

A guy asked a questions. I gave relevant answers to it. This fighting that you're doing right now, to my relevant answers, are taking up more of the thread and derailing it to a greater degree.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:09 PM

It is the literal definition of apophasis.

But you're right - I don't want to derail a thread started for the purpose of discussion between people who are playing Fallout 4. Maybe you can show the same courtesy.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:32 PM

Back to the game:

Does anyone else get little twinges of OCD whenever you walk past a fallen tree or a pile of tires?

Meanwhile, for the first time ever, I'm regretting not having a high strength. A man and his robot butler can only carry so many coffee cups and clipboards before getting weighed down.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 11-12-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
I found this post useful for tips.
Thanks, that helped a lot. I had no idea that you could go into component view under the Junk section of your inventory, and more importantly, that you can tag stuff via that menu. I knew you could tag in the crafting station menu, but it only seemed to allow me to do that for stuff I was currently crafting and lacking the necessary material, otherwise the option to "tag for search" was faded out.

Also, the rug trick for placing stuff should be very handy, as I just got the awesome Castle settlement, but have had a ton of trouble walling up the weak points, since they are all on sloped ground and stuff like junk walls just do not want to place themselves conveniently.

By the way, has anyone figured out the trick to attracting more settlers? I have placed the radio beacons, but that only seems to get 2-3 people tops, even when I have the beds/food/water for 10. Do you need more than one beacon? (seems anti-logical / counter-intuitive) Or do you need to raise happiness past a certain level?

Last edited by Rigamarole; 11-12-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:59 PM

God damn, that factory full of raiders is impossible right now for me.

I followed the advice given and took out everyone outside using a sniper rifle. Took me an hour. But I step inside, and it;s like 8 raiders in there all gunning for me. I think I'll come back with my power armor see if that helps.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:03 PM

Do you have Cogsworth with you? That dude makes nicoise salad out of raiders, and does it with flair.

I'm actually thinking of going around alone, just because companions seem to make things a little easy.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:07 PM

Does this game still have stat-based speech checks? Like extra speech options if you have certain attribute or perk?

Like in FO3/NV you could have

I think I can fix it
No I can't fix it
[Science 60] I may be able to program this robot to fix it
[Charisma 7] I may be able to talk this guy into fixing it

I haven't seen those sort of options explicitly listed in the gameplay I've seen.

Also, do attributes affect gameplay in ways other than allowing perks? Like higher strength = higher melee damage, or higher perception = longer spotting range or maybe weapon accuracy, anything like that?
Old 11-12-2015, 10:18 PM

Decided to go ahead and collect all the bobbleheads, if like me you were worried about spoilers you need to do two side quests and one is found in an early main quest area.

Haven't seen any skill based dialogue options, other than the persuade/threaten options. On the perk chart, if you hover over the SPECIAL stats at the top it'll tell you what each do. INT for instance dictates how much XP you get, etc.

Last edited by Mr. Kobayashi; 11-12-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

My resolution is not oddball nor is my monitor a CRT

Although I do admit that it is probably time to move to new wide screen format.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:06 AM

I feel like I screwed myself putting 7 points into perception at the start. They changed the way it works so you can't see where enemies are on the radar unless you go into caution. That's kind of lame. I should have paid more attention to the perk chart before I started the game but I wanted to go in blind.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
By the way, has anyone figured out the trick to attracting more settlers? I have placed the radio beacons, but that only seems to get 2-3 people tops, even when I have the beds/food/water for 10. Do you need more than one beacon? (seems anti-logical / counter-intuitive) Or do you need to raise happiness past a certain level?
It looks like you can have 10 settlers + your current charisma settlers per location.
Quote:
I'm actually thinking of going around alone, just because companions seem to make things a little easy.
I like companions for flavor, and especially pack mules (not getting Lone Wanderer right away; hear conflicting things on whether it works with Dogmeat). But I stopped using especially Boone in NV because he was overpowered.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
It looks like you can have 10 settlers + your current charisma settlers per location.
Yeah, but my question was how to get them to actually come beyond putting up the radio beacon and setting up the resources. Right now I have 8 in Sanctuary, 7 in Castle, and a few scattered ones throughout other settlements.

But I want to set up some more shops (I got the perk to allow them to be built) and just need more manpower. Plus once you send one to set up a supply line to another colony, they seem to pretty much disappear forever. Sometimes I see them as they are leaving town with their brahmin, but if I wanted to try and track one down to re-assign a specific supply line, that would be quite difficult. Also, do the supply lines work both ways? So far I have just been sending settlers from Sanctuary, where I store most of my crap, to other colonies so that I can use the Sanctuary resources. I also noticed that while it lets you use the resources of the other settlement for building, it does not let you access stuff to pull out into your inventory (like if you stored weapons in a linked settlement), nor does it let you access items that have been already built and "stored" in the linked settlement. It's complicated - I wish the system were a bit more straightforward. Still cool though.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Back to the game:

Does anyone else get little twinges of OCD whenever you walk past a fallen tree or a pile of tires?

Meanwhile, for the first time ever, I'm regretting not having a high strength. A man and his robot butler can only carry so many coffee cups and clipboards before getting weighed down.
Good lord, yes. They finally made it possible to clean up the trash at least in the place where I keep most of my stuff. Yet, I wish it were everywhere. Also, is there a way to get those weed whackers working for you?

So far, I've been using most of my adhesive to add pockets to every piece of my armor.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
My resolution is not oddball nor is my monitor a CRT

Although I do admit that it is probably time to move to new wide screen format.
You forgot the smiley on the last statement, since "new wide screen" is otherwise a little disingenuous for the dominant form factor for the last seven years.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
So far, I've been using most of my adhesive to add pockets to every piece of my armor.
Is there any point to them? I picked up something with pockets and didn't know what was good about it.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:28 AM

supposedly, supply routes are one way, but you can fix that by making a loop.

So A -> B -> C -> A acts as if they were all 2-way.

Pockets increase carry weight a little. Personally, I tend to go for the lightweight mod - it also gives you a bit of weight to play with, and lets you sneak better too.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronounceable View Post
There definitely is dog armor. Don't know how to get it though, saw it in a stream.

Yeah, there REALLY needs to be a dog whistle, or something. He keeps haring off and vanishing, which isn't particularly useful. If they haven't patched it in by the time the toolkit is released, maybe I'll actually publish a mod for it.
That's brilliant! I didn't even think of that! Are there hotkeys for companion commands, instead of the cumbersome interface we have now? I don't think so... ("heel", "stay", "attack")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
It is a resolution issue. When I changed my monitor from 1280 x 1024 to 1280 x 800 it solved all issues with the game.

I can now see the lock and bobby pin along with a full screen image. It just borks everything else I do but I don't mind changing the resolution every once in a while. Still, I'll be happy when there is a proper fix.
One of my game sessions loaded up, borking the interface resolution somehow, but it was in a way that I didn't notice right away. However, all scoped sniper shots missed, because, apparently, where I was aiming the reticle (I play keyboard/mouse) wasn't where the game said my shot went. At that point, I noticed that my scope window was offset slightly up into the upper left corner of the display, instead of the usual full screen display. TLDR: Resolution issues might affect ranged/scoped shots, too.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Yes!

Another mod suggestion: A way to "scrap" items outside of settlements! Maybe make the scrap weigh more for game balance.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Am I the only one for whom it took three days to realize that my Sole Survivor is Subject Zero?

Now I want a mod to insert "I will destroy you!" audio clips into combat.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:40 PM

I keep hearing Garrus everywhere, as well as Chloe and Principle Wells from Life is Strange.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Garrus is all over the place. I kept expecting the dude trying to drain that quarry to say that the pump needed to be calibrated.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
Am I the only one for whom it took three days to realize that my Sole Survivor is Subject Zero?

Now I want a mod to insert "I will destroy you!" audio clips into combat.
Valentine is so obviously lots of people in Skyrim, including Mercer Frey. And Garrett from Thief.

ETA: and he's Codsworth as well apparently, though that one wasn't immediately obvious to me.

Last edited by thelurkinghorror; 11-13-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:29 PM

This post is not specifically about playing FO4

since I don't have it yet.

But Make: made a functioning FO4 Shishkabob.

I am both terrified and intensely jelly.

(And also, they whipped together a Vault costume. Because they could.)
Old 11-13-2015, 05:32 PM

And
SPOILER:
Elder Maxson
is voiced by Mark Jefferson's VA?! This game is a rollercoaster of emotions for Life is Strange fans. If he asks me to attend any photography sessions I'm jumping off the Prydwen.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

I do have to say that I'm finding stealth to be more useful than it ever has been in any Bethesda game to date. I just finished the Brotherhood mission to track down the missing recon team, and two of the stops along the way were blocked by super mutants that seriously outgunned me - the first ones had high ground, and the second group had rocket launchers (which are pretty much a one-shot kill for NPCs). In both occasions I was able to stealth around them despite not having invested any points in the stealth perks.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I'm a bad boy. I'm trying to spend money very cautiously at the moment, but I bought Fallout 4 nevertheless.

Probably shows that I like this franchise more than most if not all others, since I had no difficulties avoiding buying other games that I love (like the witcher 3).

I even suspect that my graphic card will be under minimum specs.

Dowloading for the next 4 hours, seemingly

ETA : forgot to post the message for several hours
Old 11-13-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I don't think I've heard the phrase "Subject Zero" at all. I am a little disappointed that the character name isn't used more, since I used one from The List ("Alice"). Occasionally, Codsworth says it, and only when I use him as a companion - he didn't say it in any of the early sequences, nor has any other character said it yet.

Other total vanity-related gripe: I liked seeing my character's beautifully sculpted face and hair before, but then I got a helmet that covers the entire thing. There doesn't seem to be an option not to show the helmet and still have it equipped. I'm not going to gimp my character's stats just to see it though.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't think I've heard the phrase "Subject Zero" at all. I am a little disappointed that the character name isn't used more, since I used one from The List ("Alice"). Occasionally, Codsworth says it, and only when I use him as a companion - he didn't say it in any of the early sequences, nor has any other character said it yet.

Other total vanity-related gripe: I liked seeing my character's beautifully sculpted face and hair before, but then I got a helmet that covers the entire thing. There doesn't seem to be an option not to show the helmet and still have it equipped. I'm not going to gimp my character's stats just to see it though.
You wouldn't have heard the phrase in Fallout as I was talking about Subject Zero, aka Jack, from Mass Effect 2 & 3. A somewhat memorable character if you've played that series, and voiced by the same actress as the female Sole Survivor. She also does the stock female raider voice, and those I'd noticed sounded like Jack right away.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:24 AM
Charter Member

I must say, they really did make the crafting and the sniping fun. When I realized I could press a button to hold my breath, and then that the Sniper perks allowed me to hold my breath better, hoo boy! I can't wait. And tweaking my guns everytime I unlock a new level of tinkering power is fun and profitable. I currently maintain a sniper rifle tuned for damage, accuracy and range, a shotgun with a bayonet, high damage and high magazine capacity for close encounters. I recently got the laser rifle from the Brotherhood quest, and when I'm out of shotgun shells it's also a great dealer of damage when sniping is out of the question and right now I have hundreds of fusion cells.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:21 AM

So I just found a way to make unlimited xp. There are some safes that you can open through lock-picking or hacking a terminal. Now once you've opened the safe you can then re lock it through the terminal and then lock-pick it again and again until you run out of hairpins. Not really the best use of your time as the xp gain is small.

There's a novice terminal and safe combo in:
SPOILER:
Trinity tower
Old 11-14-2015, 08:33 AM

I feel like this guy: http://imgur.com/gallery/eJvgTnT

Some concept art:

http://i.imgur.com/FL4Cyr6.jpg (does anyone know what kind of shading/material could be used to reproduce the look on middle and bottom pictures of the right page?)

http://i.imgur.com/ZdljUPr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/84uqlls.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aeGTRq3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JPu2UgQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/07koV2K.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OVXqFC3.jpg

Some of the early graphics mods:

http://i.imgur.com/ILyd51o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lhNPXKd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/X7eCXEN.png

http://i.imgur.com/7QGATDD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7MF53Fr.jpg

Is it true that if you get rid of the 60 fps V-sync limit, the physics go faster?

What's the best average fps and best minimum fps you're getting with your GPU & CPU?

Is there anything non-spoilery that you now know that you wish someone had told you before you started playing? Some things are better discovered by oneself but others really aren't.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:24 AM

I downloaded the game yesterday and was able to play for an hour and a half. It's pretty fun, so far, although I don't really know what I'm doing. I've shied away from "hints" and stuff, going in blind.

I couldn't get the pipboy app to work, sadly.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
I downloaded the game yesterday and was able to play for an hour and a half. It's pretty fun, so far, although I don't really know what I'm doing. I've shied away from "hints" and stuff, going in blind.

I couldn't get the pipboy app to work, sadly.
Maybe missed the Windows Firewall pop-up to give the game permission to talk?
Old 11-14-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe missed the Windows Firewall pop-up to give the game permission to talk?
That's what it was.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:13 PM

Cleaned house with my power armor. Ate up half a battery though. I'm finding that my current guns, even though a bit upgraded suck.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:28 PM

Yeah, I've had some issues with weapons being weaksauce even after upgrading. I wish you could see the actual level of enemies - instead you just get a skull if it's "several" levels above you or more. Could be 3 levels higher, could be 20, who knows!

However, my Righteous Authority (the laser gun you get from Brotherhood of Steel) is pretty awesome, and I've upgraded it to the max that I'm currently able to. I've just about spent all my fusion cells though - time to find some more Synths to scavenge from. Although I put a weapons vendor in my Castle settlement, and he sells some ammo, he wants 7 caps PER ROUND to sell it to me. I gave the guy a job, you would think he'd be grateful and cut me a little slack.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Just finished the fight with the queen mirelurk after going through my entire stash of rocket launcher ammo and several grenades. Wasn't expecting a fight like that or I'd have brought the power armor with me.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:22 PM

Did you not play FO3?
Old 11-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I just got a new monitor. Things are much better at 1920 x 1080.