Old 11-16-2015, 10:03 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Am I the only one who is not loving power armor?

I mean, I like the power it gives me, and the fact that I can carry a lot more.

What I don't like is if I run out of whatever the hell they use.. fuel cores? Cells? in the middle of being out & adventuring, you're screwed. And the cores are expensive, and don't seem to be turning up while looting much. So as much as I like it, I'm tending to leave it back at Sanctuary (or wherever) until I have enough cash to buy more cores. And that's assuming I'll find them at vendors.

Am I doing something wrong?
Power armor, at least early on, is formal wear. Only put it on when you know you're attending a big shindig with lots of guests. For daily wear, leave the armor at home and stick with the non-powered stuff.

Oh, word of advice - don't leave suits of power armor lying around with the fusion core still in it. NPCs will steal it - even friendly ones. Raiders attacked sanctuary, and during the battle, Trashcan Carla grabbed my best suit and put it on, then wouldn't give it back. Apparently, they won't do this if the armor is unpowered.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:04 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

I'm level 12 and trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I mean, I'm doing okay, but I keep running into these masses of ghouls and super mutants in Boston and can't manage to make my way across it without lots of dying. I've done some crafting, but not enough, and I'm not finding any of the fusion cores other people seem to have found.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kobayashi View Post
Ha, traveled to Diamond Cities to find Christmas trees and lights everywhere - checked the Pipboy date and it's Christmas Day.
Cool. But did you meet the painter guy in Diamond City and have a conversation about the rules of baseball? In the 23rd century, it's probably Annual Gift Man Day, who delivers Cram to good boys and ghouls with his rocket powered deathclaw sleigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Oh, word of advice - don't leave suits of power armor lying around with the fusion core still in it. NPCs will steal it - even friendly ones. Raiders attacked sanctuary, and during the battle, Trashcan Carla grabbed my best suit and put it on, then wouldn't give it back. Apparently, they won't do this if the armor is unpowered.
Pickpocket? Yeah, on my first playthrough (restarted once I upgraded my computer), I didn't bother playing carefully, and so when I visited Concord a raider was rampaging in my suit.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
I'm level 12 and trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I mean, I'm doing okay, but I keep running into these masses of ghouls and super mutants in Boston and can't manage to make my way across it without lots of dying. I've done some crafting, but not enough, and I'm not finding any of the fusion cores other people seem to have found.
What's your character build and equipment? If all else fails pumping a few perk points into END and the toughness and lifebringer perks will make you less fragile. If you're hoping for a free point in END, the bobblehead for it's
SPOILER:
a tough one to get at a low level, behind a master lock and level 39 boss fight in Poseidon Energy, on the coast at the south-east corner of the map. If you haven't already got it, go to Shaun's room in your old house in Santuary and look at the 'You're Special' book, you can put a point in any SPECIAL stat.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
Power armor can't be destroyed. If it reaches 0 health you lose the benefit temporarily, but you can easily repair it at the power armor station cheaply (for the pieces I've found the only material required to repair is a small quantity of steel).
I don't think that is correct. I "lost" a leg in battle. When I got to a repair station, there was nothing left of the leg to repair. Only the frame remained.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
I don't think that is correct. I "lost" a leg in battle. When I got to a repair station, there was nothing left of the leg to repair. Only the frame remained.
It won't be on the frame, but once you go into the 'Transfer' option on a power armor crafting station you'll see the destroyed item in your inventory. If you try to transfer it to the frame the game'll tell you that it can't be equipped, but you are able to repair it then transfer it back onto the frame.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:47 AM

Meant to say the crafting menu of your power armor station, here's how you do it, as you can see the health of the old T-45b legs are 0/65 but it gives you an option to repair it... or it would if I had the resources there, 'T' is the hotkey.

Last edited by Mr. Kobayashi; 11-17-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:04 AM

Yeah it took me awhile. Make sure you activate the repair station and not the armor itself. I even tried both but I guess I was a few pixels over and in the armor's zone so I thought I had to do something else.

To attach it to the station just remove the armor close to the station. It will automatically attach or at least if you use the station.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
That's interesting - when you talked to her to open a trade window was it just not there in her inventory? I like to equip various outfits and hats on my settlers (more for fun and keeping track of their jobs than attempting to give them any useful armor), but I notice their main "outfit" piece they come with is invisible in their inventory list until you equip them with a different one, at which point it shows up there. Likewise, I wonder if equipping them with other armor would make the power armor reveal itself in that case.

Also, this tip was mentioned in the list of tips post someone linked upthread, but when your core is getting really low if you're not presently in combat take a moment to pop it out and manually replace it. That way you can sell it to a vendor for a decent amount of caps instead of it disappearing when it's completely spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronounceable View Post
Dunno - so far, I've only had one "attack." It wasn't noted to be an attack, it was one unnamed settler getting shot up by everybody else. If I hadn't noticed she was using an Institute pistol, I'd have thought it was just a bug.
I just experienced a strange settlement "attack" like this, however it did give me a quest notice that the settlement was under attack (I wasn't in it at the time). I got there and it was, like yours, just one settler accused of being a Synth who got killed by the others before I could even figure out what was going on.

But what happened afterwards was the strange part. Everything seemed OK so I went on my way, checked on another settlement and sorted through some gear. Realized I wanted to take something from the workshop of the "attacked" settlement, so I fast traveled back. When I got there, all my turrets and generators (and some crops/water pumps) were damaged/destroyed, and the workshop storage was completely emptied out. This was a satellite settlement that I'd only built up a little bit and it didn't have a ton of stuff in there to begin with, so the loss wasn't too devastating.

But it struck me as bizarre since the "threat" had already been dealt with, and everything seemed fine when I left it not that long ago. It also greatly concerns me that this could happen to my primary base, where I've built up a pretty massive stockpile of primo stuff in storage. I would really like to know if it was a bug, or I missed out on doing something I should have done, or what. I note that I haven't had this problem with other settlement attacks (where it was a group of super mutants or raiders) and I went there to successfully defend it. It just happened with this one "Synth infiltrator" attack.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Immortal View Post
I just got my hands on a gatling laser. Good thing I'm swimming in caps, because the thing runs on fusion cores.
Apparently fusion cores can be recharged. I haven't tried this out myself yet, but if you place a partially drained core in a generator, it is full again.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kobayashi View Post
What's your character build and equipment? If all else fails pumping a few perk points into END and the toughness and lifebringer perks will make you less fragile. If you're hoping for a free point in END, the bobblehead for it's
SPOILER:
a tough one to get at a low level, behind a master lock and level 39 boss fight in Poseidon Energy, on the coast at the south-east corner of the map. If you haven't already got it, go to Shaun's room in your old house in Santuary and look at the 'You're Special' book, you can put a point in any SPECIAL stat.
Eh, it's somewhat random. I'll make it work overall, but I just need to finish some more quests on the outskirts of Boston.

What I can't believe is that there are people who have already finished the main quest. I've had the game for less than a week, put about 24 hours into it (according to the game clock), and have a stack of side quests to get through. Did they skip all the side stuff or did they just have that much time?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:48 AM

I was actually ignoring the main quest until I realized you could continue after beating it, then I focused on getting that done.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
But it struck me as bizarre since the "threat" had already been dealt with, and everything seemed fine when I left it not that long ago. It also greatly concerns me that this could happen to my primary base, where I've built up a pretty massive stockpile of primo stuff in storage. I would really like to know if it was a bug, or I missed out on doing something I should have done, or what. I note that I haven't had this problem with other settlement attacks (where it was a group of super mutants or raiders) and I went there to successfully defend it. It just happened with this one "Synth infiltrator" attack.
I've dealt with a couple different settlement attacks. (One was by five or so raiders, another attack by two super mutants.) You will actually get a screen message when all threats are eliminated. If you don't, than I think that means there is some mob out of view, somewhere. (I don't know what happens when a mob flees.)
Old 11-17-2015, 10:43 AM

Shooting Kellogg in the face with a mini-nuke was very satisfying. That is all.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:27 AM

Two days ago, I started a new game (I restart a lot). I noticed that it appears that you can have only one game save. It autosaves and quicksaves over the last such save. I saw no way to rename a save either, so there would be difficulty in telling which save goes with which character. (There are only time stamps, IIRC.)

Even Skyrim let you make multiple save slots.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Power armor, at least early on, is formal wear. Only put it on when you know you're attending a big shindig with lots of guests. For daily wear, leave the armor at home and stick with the non-powered stuff.

My biggest problem with power armor is that I didn't realize you don't need to power it up to get the key pieces...so, my main base looks like a trailer park with exoskeletons laying all about. Now I just strip off the pieces I want (this lets me get them while wearing my own power armor suit...the T-60 modified unit you get from the BOS) and leave the exoskeleton behind. I thought that fusion cores would be an issue, but I have so many that I just take my suit out all the time now, only taking it off for doing non-combat stuff since the tactical display that highlights all moving/living NPCs is a bit jarring when I'm not fighting.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
Two days ago, I started a new game (I restart a lot). I noticed that it appears that you can have only one game save. It autosaves and quicksaves over the last such save. I saw no way to rename a save either, so there would be difficulty in telling which save goes with which character. (There are only time stamps, IIRC.)

Copy and paste em to desktop or another folder.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:47 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

You guys are all probably past this, but here is a YouTube video with 19 tips on the game that might help anyone just starting off. I knew most of this, but the thing about Dog Meat not counting as a companion for the purposes of the Lone Wanderer perk (which I don't currently have but would if I was starting again) was new to me. The biggest on in here I think is the way to create adhesive (which I already knew but would be good for people to know about as adhesive is one of the hardest things to get and one you'll need tons of for just about everything).
Old 11-17-2015, 02:47 PM

Hmm...I didn't realize this until last night, but if you want to turn godrays off you have to click on the "low detail" preset. I did that and got a huge fps boost. I was able to crank up a lot of the other settings to medium-high and still getting 40-60 fps on my gtx 750. And it seems to have cleared up the big lag spikes I was getting in Boston Common.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:

I must be missing something. You can have multiple save slots in Fallout 4. My second day playing, I made a new character, but the save file for her is still there if I want to go back.

Is it different on consoles?
Old 11-17-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Copy and paste em to desktop or another folder.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
I must be missing something. You can have multiple save slots in Fallout 4. My second day playing, I made a new character, but the save file for her is still there if I want to go back.

I think people are getting confused because you have to use the Select Character button under load if you want to switch to the saved games of another character. I know one of my co-workers was freaking because he thought he lost his original character when he made a new one.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:

(I'm on a PC.)

I did notice that there were multiple saves on hand (the last, most recent four saves). But the oldest save appeared to have bene overwritten by the newest when doing a save.

I will have to look at it again.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
I think people are getting confused because you have to use the Select Character button under load if you want to switch to the saved games of another character. I know one of my co-workers was freaking because he thought he lost his original character when he made a new one.
Now I know I must be fucking this up. I never noticed a "select character" option.

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited by mlees; 11-17-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:50 PM

Ok, so I just saw
SPOILER:
Liberty Prime salute the Bunker Hill Memorial, then rip a Super Mutant Behemoth's head off.

GOTY.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghris View Post
Apparently fusion cores can be recharged. I haven't tried this out myself yet, but if you place a partially drained core in a generator, it is full again.
I don't think that's accurate. Tried it today, and the generators are not classified as containers so there is no way to put anything into it. Unless there's some super secret trick to it, but I doubt it.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:58 AM

Quote:
I don't think that's accurate. Tried it today, and the generators are not classified as containers so there is no way to put anything into it. Unless there's some super secret trick to it, but I doubt it.
Yeah, I just tried it myself. I got punked. Sorry for the misinformation without checking for myself.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:08 AM

How do I get a brahmin off of the roof of a house? At some point, Trashcan Carla's pack brahmin spawned on the roof of the central house in Sanctuary. I thought it was funny at the time, but it seems to be up there permanently. Several restarts haven't budged it. The constant mooing while I craft is annoying. I am loathe to just shoot it.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
How do I get a brahmin off of the roof of a house? At some point, Trashcan Carla's pack brahmin spawned on the roof of the central house in Sanctuary. I thought it was funny at the time, but it seems to be up there permanently. Several restarts haven't budged it. The constant mooing while I craft is annoying. I am loathe to just shoot it.
Build a brahmin trough (I believe it's under miscellaneous resources). They will stick around the area where the trough is.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Build a brahmin trough (I believe it's under miscellaneous resources). They will stick around the area where the trough is.
I have one. Ol' Bessie doesn't seem thirsty enough to come down, though.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

So, when should I be using the power armor? I've got about five cores now, but I don't want to run out of juice somewhere and have to make a long, slow walk back to somewhere I can leave it. Does it use power when fast traveling?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:04 AM

Fast travel doesn't use power.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Obviously a bug. Report it if possible.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:23 AM

I don't know if brahmin tipping is possible in this game as it was in a previous game. This evening, I will craft stairs so I can get up there too and see if I can just push the damned thing off the roof.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I built stairs, and the brahmin used 'em. Then I stored the stairs.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
Anyone have any idea how cpu-limited the game might be? My aging cpu is well under "recommended" specs ( i-7 860 Lynnfield ), my gpu is well over ( factory-overclocked GTX 970 ).
I have an older monitor so I'm playing in 1680x1050 but my i7-860 @ 3.6GHz, R9 290X (4GB) and 12GB memory defaulted to Ultra settings during initial setup and runs flawlessly at its default locked 60fps. You can remove the cap via the .ini settings but I haven't done so yet. In any event, the processor doesn't seem to be slowing me down although I have mine overclocked.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:30 AM

I use Raptr instead of personally farting around with settings, these days. It works well, too. It took a couple days after release for the Raptr community to supply enough data to optimize Fallout 4, but it was worth the wait. I'd been having some issues with stuttering and freezing but Raptr resolved them all. The game still looks quite nice, too. I should note that Raptr is centered around AMD graphics cards, so I can't promise it will work on any other hardware.

Last edited by Scumpup; 11-18-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I don't know if brahmin tipping is possible in this game as it was in a previous game. This evening, I will craft stairs so I can get up there too and see if I can just push the damned thing off the roof.

You inhuman monster!
Old 11-18-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I built stairs, and the brahmin used 'em. Then I stored the stairs.
Did you have a brahmin on a roof also?
Old 11-18-2015, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Three or four days ago after I started up and hit the Continue menu option (PC) I got a video on "Luck", about 2-3 minutes long. It was very entertaining. Since then I haven't gotten that or any other SPECIAL videos.

Anyone else getting these?
Old 11-18-2015, 02:18 PM

Yeah, all the SPECIAL videos are possible attract-screens.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0sp3l View Post
Did you have a brahmin on a roof also?
Sounds like he used the stairs to get one up there rather than down.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza View Post

Anyone else getting these?
On the ps4 they all played during installation. Very funny. They were all released online leading up to the game launch, but I hadn't watched any of them up to that point.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

They're on BethSoft's Youtube feed if anyone wants to check them out.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0sp3l View Post
You inhuman monster!
God as my witness, I thought brahmin could fly.

Anyone else think this game needs some sort of giant mutant wild turkey?
Old 11-18-2015, 03:40 PM

It's got a swan...close enough.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:43 PM

I think a giant mutant parakeet would be better. Parakeets can be mean pricks.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:02 PM

Saw this on reddit, haven't stopped laughing since.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:11 PM

Hunh. So I found an upturned ship down south-east. The raiders were speaking Norwegian. I almost had to spare them, but then I thought of loot.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claptree View Post
Hunh. So I found an upturned ship down south-east. The raiders were speaking Norwegian. I almost had to spare them, but then I thought of loot.
Were those Norwegians chasing a dog? You may have doomed us all!