Old 12-29-2018, 12:50 PM

Nice, and congrats

Anyone ever skiied Angle fire?. We won't be doing our trip back to Park City this year but may be able to take a March trip to Angle fire. We stayed up there over Thanksgiving and it is very pleasent , I didn't get much of a sense of the mountain though.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2018/12/2...sorts-chair-5/

We rode this chair several times the day before the evac. That terrain is interesting.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:58 PM

A good January 1st. Four hours GS telemark, two hours Super-G alpine, lasagna dinner, then one hour cross-country classic at night. All praise be to Ullr's beneficence in the last week of last year (my driveway http://imgbox.com/x0hz15gA).

Last edited by Muffin; 01-01-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Off to a tele training session on the local bump tonight since I've been unexpectedly pulled in to teaching beginner tele on Saturday. The current forecast for teaching is low 40s and raining.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Off to a tele training session on the local bump tonight since I've been unexpectedly pulled in to teaching beginner tele on Saturday. The current forecast for teaching is low 40s and raining.
Ick. Hope it changes for you.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Ick. Hope it changes for you.
Changes to what? 30s and raining?
Old 01-03-2019, 06:57 PM

Freezing rain -- that hit us this afternoon, so once it started I bailed out and went to the office. It came from the south, so I'm blaming it on you.

I left tele boots and skis in my locker for one of our tele club member in from Norman Wells (arctic mainland) for a couple of days. There's only flatland skiing there, so he's been pretty eager to hit the slopes -- today -- the day that brought us freezing rain. It stopped about an hour ago, so I'm packing it in at the office to spend a couple of hours skiing this evening and hopefully catching up with our visitor, but I'll be wearing my kayaking spray jacket just in case.

Looks like I was lucky yesterday for work kept me from skiing. Something buggered up the power out by the hill, resulting in the lifts having to be evacuated. Over an hour for the last poor bastards.

Winter is interesting.

Last edited by Muffin; 01-03-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Tonight was firm conditions, comparable favorably to well cured cement. We had fun and it was good to be on tele again before teaching on Saturday. I learned to ski on that hill, it's always fun to be back.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

It was in the mid 30's but only periodic rain, and none of it hard. A good day teaching on the hill.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:08 PM

Full throttle today for the first time this season, bending GS Dobermanns like Beckham on Ontario's premiere GS pitch. Very hard surface but not ice, challenging pitch changes. Full commitment telemarking, literally launching into each turn at the end of each carve.

Or to put it another way, ski time to pass out after skiing time ratio was 1:1.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

I am literally not in the same league as you telemarkers.

Anyway, I've hit the slopes every weekend since Christmas here in New England: Wachusett, Okemo, and Mount Snow so far. I'll be going back to Wachusett this weekend with my son and some other friends. We're all intermediate skiers. I'm planning to work on my technique: more carving and less skidding.

Next week I head out to Park City!

Also have overnight trips booked for Sunday River in Maine, Stowe in Vermont, and Pats Peak/Mount Sunapee in New Hampshire over the course of the next six weeks.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Headed to Bolton Valley backcountry on Saturday. Not sure yet about Sunday, maybe MRG if the snow reports are good. Looks like VTah got some good dumping today and maybe some more tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Last weekend plans were cancelled, by wife was too sick to head out and the cold temps would have set back her recovery for weeks.

This weekend looks like snow in the forecast, especially for Sunday. I floated the idea of skiing Sunday/Monday at Jay Peak since that would give us the most skiing in the best snow, but I just glanced at the forecast high temp for Monday, -7. Ouch.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:14 PM

Kirkwood on Sunday - gorgeous weather, excellent coverage, busy but not horrible lift lines. Legs screaming after each lap by the end of the day. It's dumping hard in the Sierras all this week - expected 2-4+ feet by Friday, with the main storm hitting this evening thru tomorrow (packing 80-100 MPH winds along the ridges and peaks). Winter has arrived! Powder Alert for Friday!
Old 01-21-2019, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Powder day in the NH backcountry, hit it just right. Followed by a Patriots victory and a hot tub.