Old 10-06-2018, 09:28 PM

Gators defeated LSU, as the prophet predicted.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

SC had a sloppy, rainy but gritty win with their backup QB. Great game to watch except for the hour long lightning delay with 2 min left in the game!

Last edited by USCDiver; 10-06-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:55 AM

UCLA actually looked competitive this week. They still lost, but when Washington pushed, they pushed back.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:36 PM

Don't look now, but Texas is a real team again.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:59 PM

Mississippi State (which is still NOT Ole Miss) beat Auburn in an upset. They still have to play Bama, LSU, TAM, and Ole Miss along with a couple of gimme games against LA Tech and Arkansas. I expect they will lose at least two of those six.

LSU's season is about to blow up. They play Georgia, Mississippi State, and Bama over the next three weeks, and could go 0-3 in that stretch.

Bama has LSU, Mississippi State, and Auburn left, mixed up with three relatively sure wins. I'm thinking they may run the table. Bama is just scary good this year. ROLL TIDE!
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I
Old 10-08-2018, 05:30 PM

In other news, my beloved Yellowjackets are 1-4 so far, and not showing any signs of turning that around anytime soon. Of course, it's not like we've ever been a football powerhouse...

Univ. of Rochester Yellowjackets 2018 Schedule and Results
Old 10-13-2018, 09:37 PM

S-E-C

S-E-C

S-E-C

...and the S-E-C won't be represented by the Georgia Bulldogs this year. Heh! Heh!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Mississippi State (which is still NOT Ole Miss) beat Auburn in an upset. They still have to play Bama, LSU, TAM, and Ole Miss along with a couple of gimme games against LA Tech and Arkansas. I expect they will lose at least two of those six.

LSU's season is about to blow up. They play Georgia, Mississippi State, and Bama over the next three weeks, and could go 0-3 in that stretch.

Bama has LSU, Mississippi State, and Auburn left, mixed up with three relatively sure wins. I'm thinking they may run the table. Bama is just scary good this year. ROLL TIDE!
LSU just punched Georgia in the mouth and took their lunch money. The Tigers strength is their lines - both defense and offense. When you play LSU, you're gonna be gasping for air at the end of the game and nursing bruises all next week. Their skill players aren't as good as Alabama - I agree. Alabama will probably win, but Alabama's gonna get beat up badly when they go to Tiger stadium. They're gonna feel pain.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:42 PM

4 Top 10 teams go down this weekend. Just sitting down to watch USC give Colorado their first lose.

Made a big ol' pizza for the game.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
S-E-C

S-E-C

S-E-C

...and the S-E-C won't be represented by the Georgia Bulldogs this year. Heh! Heh!
Seems like UGA Will still be favored to win the east. They have as good a shot as anyone to win the SEC.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Seems like UGA Will still be favored to win the east. They have as good a shot as anyone to win the SEC.
True, and I think UGA can get better as the season goes on. What would worry me as a UGA fan was how out-muscled they were today.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:15 PM

UCLA won big 37-7.

I think last week we saw glimpses of how UCLA might compete later in the year and today, it happened.

Prediction #2: Nebraska will also start to turn it around.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Prediction #2: Nebraska will also start to turn it around.
And yet still manage to lose. How they screwed that up yesterday was mystifying.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:02 AM

Spartans show some toughness against Penn State. Except for two big plays, PSU pretty much got shut down. Good game for MSU defense. Being lucky helps, PSU dropped an easy interception late that would have sealed the game.

Wolverines pretty impressive against Wisconsin, which I think got exposed as not being as good as their ranking. Notre Dame very unimpressive vs. Pitt.

Poor Nebraska. 0-6 for the first time ever. I feel bad for them because they have beyond doubt the nicest fans in college football.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:17 AM

Notre Dame is getting their bye at the right time, coming off a downer of a game against Pitt. I am curious how much of Michigan's win is them being really good vs. Wisconsin being way overrated. UM at Sparty next week should help answer that question.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:45 PM

remember SEC teams can win the national title without even playing for their conference title.

That should not be allowed but as long as you have the voting element it can happen.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
remember SEC teams can win the national title without even playing for their conference title.

That should not be allowed but as long as you have the voting element it can happen.
See also 2016 Ohio State making the CFP without winning their division either.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Poor Nebraska. 0-6 for the first time ever. I feel bad for them because they have beyond doubt the nicest fans in college football.
As a Husker fan, I'm starting to feel sorry for Frost. Our fans are being pretty patient, blaming the previous administration. But Frost also admitted he's running out of things to say to his team.

I’m guessing “Sorry, guys, 2018 is a wash, just keep playing until I get MY type of players here” won’t go over well.

After next week's loss to Minnesota, we play I-AA Bethune Cookman. Then the goalposts will be coming down.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post
As a Husker fan, I'm starting to feel sorry for Frost. Our fans are being pretty patient, blaming the previous administration. But Frost also admitted he's running out of things to say to his team.

I’m guessing “Sorry, guys, 2018 is a wash, just keep playing until I get MY type of players here” won’t go over well.

After next week's loss to Minnesota, we play I-AA Bethune Cookman. Then the goalposts will be coming down.
Quick question, and I feel a little dumb for asking this. I casually follow college football--like I know how my team (Northwestern) is doing and have an idea of the AP 25 and all that. But this one is kind of odd to me: has it been usual to play out-of-conference opponents in mid-season? I was wondering that about Northwestern's game against Purdue earlier this year, as well, as my recollection is that, at least in the Big 10, it's usually been 4 out-of-conference games to start the season, and then the rest of the season was in-conference. So I was surprised when NU played Purdue to open the season. Is this just selective memory on my part, or have things changed a little?

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-15-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post

I think Nebraska is going to start making some major gains toward the end of the year. Their win-loss record will be atrocious, but I hope that Huskers faithful give Frost a chance. I think he's a lot like Tom Herman. It's Riley who destroyed Husker football, not Frost.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
See also 2016 Ohio State making the CFP without winning their division either.
The difference is, when SEC teams make it to the playoff or to the BCS title game, they don't get embarrassed in front of millions of fans -- well, LSU got embarrassed in 2012, but by Alabama. The Tigers had dominated pretty much everyone else that year, including Oregon and West Virginia. Meanwhile, Ohio State squeaks into the playoff and gets murdered by Clemson. Point being, a #2 SEC team is usually going to be competitive with the #1 team from any other conference.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Quick question, and I feel a little dumb for asking this. I casually follow college football--like I know how my team (Northwestern) is doing and have an idea of the AP 25 and all that. But this one is kind of odd to me: has it been usual to play out-of-conference opponents in mid-season? I was wondering that about Northwestern's game against Purdue earlier this year, as well, as my recollection is that, at least in the Big 10, it's usually been 4 out-of-conference games to start the season, and then the rest of the season was in-conference. So I was surprised when NU played Purdue to open the season. Is this just selective memory on my part, or have things changed a little?
Things have changed only in terms of conference realignment. Nebraska joined the Big10 in 2011, and Rutgers and Maryland joined in 2014. The Big10 now has 14 teams divided into 7-team divisions (East and West).
Old 10-15-2018, 09:10 PM

Here are my playoff predictions:

1. Alabama
2. Florida
3. Georgia
4. LSU
Old 10-15-2018, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Things have changed only in terms of conference realignment. Nebraska joined the Big10 in 2011, and Rutgers and Maryland joined in 2014. The Big10 now has 14 teams divided into 7-team divisions (East and West).
OK, I'm not quite that casual, ,I gueuss. That stuff I know all about, and I remember when the Big 12 exploded, and there was talk of Texas possibly coming to the Big Ten, and the perennial talk of Norte Dame, and all that kind of stuff.

Anyhow, I'm looking back at the schedule, and it does look like once in every four or five years there is an out-of-conference game mid-season. I guess there were none when I was in school, but since then, it happened every once in a while. Playing in-conference this early seems a lot rarer. I see back in 2001, NU played MSU the third game of the season, but that's the only game I could find going back to 1990 where an in-conference game was played within the first 3 games of the season.

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-15-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

In the case of Nebraska vs Bethune-Cookman, this was a late addition to the schedule after a Nebraska’s opener vs Akron was cancelled for weather.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
In the case of Nebraska vs Bethune-Cookman, this was a late addition to the schedule after a Nebraska’s opener vs Akron was cancelled for weather.
Ah, okay. That makes some sense now. Seemed a bit out-of-place to me.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Ah, okay. That makes some sense now. Seemed a bit out-of-place to me.
Yeah that would normally have been their Bye week.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:09 PM

Kept Nubb from even losing to Bye.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
LSU just punched Georgia in the mouth and took their lunch money. The Tigers strength is their lines - both defense and offense. When you play LSU, you're gonna be gasping for air at the end of the game and nursing bruises all next week. Their skill players aren't as good as Alabama - I agree. Alabama will probably win, but Alabama's gonna get beat up badly when they go to Tiger stadium. They're gonna feel pain.
I did not see that one coming...LSU/Mississippi State (still not Ole Miss) ought to be a good one this week. Bama got banged up playing Missouri, but should be able to coast this week with Tennessee.
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I
Old 10-20-2018, 10:41 PM

There is still time for things to go to hell, but for 48 minutes Purdue has been a much better team than Ohio.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:49 AM

Aannnnd down goes 'THE Ohio State University'.

LSU takes Miss. State in another crippling blow to offensive football. But, an ugly win still counts.

Oregon further exposed.

Penn State won but Indiana helped.

Kentucky limped by Vandy. That's what their games are going to look like.

The rest of the top 25 games played to form. Good shutout for Iowa - dark horse for the Big Ten.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:05 AM

Damn Utah.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:11 AM

most out of conference games are in Sept. But the SEC usually has a weekend in Nov. where the SEC teams play some crap team and win 70-3. And also non conference games vs. rivals are often in Nov. such as Florida - FSU or Georgia - GT.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
Aannnnd down goes 'THE Ohio State University'.

LSU takes Miss. State in another crippling blow to offensive football. But, an ugly win still counts.

Oregon further exposed.

Penn State won but Indiana helped.

Kentucky limped by Vandy. That's what their games are going to look like.

The rest of the top 25 games played to form. Good shutout for Iowa - dark horse for the Big Ten.
Purdue looked like a national championship team last night. Their running backs are speedy and have a low center of gravity, making them hard to bring down if people don't line up correctly. It looked like the Buckeyes were just blown away by Purdue's speed on offense. And as Herb pointed out, they're one-dimensional on offense, which is unusual for an Ohio State team.

LSU belly punched another opponent, but Alabama's going to be a different challenge. I think LSU's defense can slow Bama down, but the question is whether they can score enough points to keep up. I think the Tigers make it interesting but Bama pulls away late. The Tide are fortunate that they'll have time to recover physically in preparation for the Iron Bowl. Bama will win but LSU always makes them pay a physical price, and vice versa of course.

Last edited by asahi; 10-21-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
LSU belly punched another opponent, but Alabama's going to be a different challenge. I think LSU's defense can slow Bama down, but the question is whether they can score enough points to keep up. I think the Tigers make it interesting but Bama pulls away late. The Tide are fortunate that they'll have time to recover physically in preparation for the Iron Bowl. Bama will win but LSU always makes them pay a physical price, and vice versa of course.
Staying healthy is the key for Bama right now. LSU, Mississippi State (again, still not Ole Miss), Citadel, and Auburn. All three SEC games will be physical, smash mouth games. I don't think any of those teams can score enough to beat Bama, as long as Tua can play.

Somebody beat Notre Dame, please. Hate that team, don't want them in the playoffs...
Molon labe--Leonidas I
Old 10-22-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Somebody beat Notre Dame, please. Hate that team, don't want them in the playoffs...
My Noles will shock the world! Calling it right now.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Speaking of shocking the world, Nebraska won their first game, beating Minnesota 53-28! It was a lot of fun watching Scott Frost in the press conference, he looks like a happy little kid.

All I can say is I'm SOOO glad Frost's first win won't be I-AA Bethune Cookman.

I'm sure Alabama is happy Nebraska had a slow start and won't have to face us in the playoffs.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Biggest blowout of a Power 5 team by an Independent?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
It's possible, but I just don't see it. Not because FSU is terrible or ND is that great, but ND is a better team, and they're playing at home. More importantly, though, FSU has a tough few weeks between now and then. By comparison, ND has a lighter schedule. I don't think FSU backs down but I don't think ND overlooks the Noles.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I think Nebraska is going to start making some major gains toward the end of the year. Their win-loss record will be atrocious, but I hope that Huskers faithful give Frost a chance. I think he's a lot like Tom Herman. It's Riley who destroyed Husker football, not Frost.
As I predicted, this happened. Nebraska will still have a bad year, but they're going to be competitive and their focus will be on impressing recruits.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Staying healthy is the key for Bama right now. LSU, Mississippi State (again, still not Ole Miss), Citadel, and Auburn. All three SEC games will be physical, smash mouth games. I don't think any of those teams can score enough to beat Bama, as long as Tua can play.

I think LSU's secondary can make Tua look mortal; I just don't think LSU's offense is good enough to keep up. I kinda think this is one of those games where Alabama might get surprised by LSU's intensity, and might get a little rattled at first. But they'll settle in and take over in the 2nd half.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Willie Taggart needs to be FIRED now! No need to wait until the end of the game. This is going to go down as one of the most embarrassing FSU losses of all time.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:16 PM

Bad day at Black Rock for Florida teams. At least Florida almost managed to make it look like a competitive game for a while.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Willie Taggart needs to be FIRED now! No need to wait until the end of the game. This is going to go down as one of the most embarrassing FSU losses of all time.
The loss was embarrassing, no doubt, but I still believe in Taggart.

Jimbo left a mess of a program in terms of culture. Today was a step back, but I think things are moving in the right direction, and I think he has the guts to make whatever changes are needed.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The loss was embarrassing, no doubt, but I still believe in Taggart.

Jimbo left a mess of a program in terms of culture. Today was a step back, but I think things are moving in the right direction, and I think he has the guts to make whatever changes are needed.
It wasn’t just the embarrassment of the loss. It was the 15 or so penalties and the two players ejected for throwing punches. That’s Miami level bullshit, not how any FSU team should play.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:34 PM

I was struck by the difference in watching highlights of the Clemson-FSU game from the highlights of the OU-KSU game. FSU's defensive backs often simply gave up trying to chase Clemson receivers; the KSU backs never stopped trying to catch the OU receivers. That says something about the program, IMO.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:23 AM

Oregon (19) going down to Arizona.
And down goes Texas (6) to a disappointing Oklahoma State team.
Florida (9) loses to Georgia (7).
Kentucky (12), well they won again and that's what counts, 15-14 over Missouri on a do-over last play.
Washington State (14) edges Stamford (24) with a 4th qtr. rally.
Cal beats Washington (15).
Mississippi St. over Texas A&M (16).
Penn St. (17) beats Iowa (18) with a poor choice throw by the Iowa QB.
Northwestern thumps Wisconsin (20).
Houston over former undefeated South Florida (21).
Syracuse beats NC State (22).
Friday, Georgia State dumped Appalachian State (25).

Clemson, ND, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Utah marched on as expected.

With some meaningful games the past two weeks, pretenders are falling like flies.
Eight losses to unranked teams this week.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:23 AM

Iowa State is two wins away from bowl eligibility, and with Kansas, Baylor, and Kansas State yet to go, it's entirely possible they even finish in the top half of the Big 12. After the Okie State - Texas game, I'm not even terrified of heading to Austin. ISU could end 8-4, or maybe even 9-3, which blows my mind considering how not-good the team looked in early September.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
Washington State (14) edges Stamford (24) with a 4th qtr. rally.
I didn’t get how WSU ended that game.

You’re on Stanford’s 25. You only need a few yards to get a 1st down. There’s a bit over 30 seconds in the game and you’re tied. You each have a single time out remaining. Why not run the ball? You only need a short gain to get a first down and you’ll burn time off the clock to prevent Stanford from having enough time to respond if you score. And you eliminate the risk of an interception. There’s no worry about somehow burning off too much time because of your time out.

Instead, you do two incomplete passes before kicking the FG on 4th down. You then give them enough time to receive the ball and have a few plays. Granted, they couldn’t do much with it and you won but still. I really don’t get why they didn’t run it.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:33 AM

Good day in Spartan land. Keep this name in your head for future reference: Rocky Lombardi. In addition to having the best football name ever, the kid showed a lot of talent yesterday. I think his release is quick enough for the NFL, he has a strong arm and can also run the ball. Heisman 2020, you heard it here first.

Let's see now, MSU beat Purdue, Purdue beat OSU, so it stands to reason that MSU will beat OSU. 9-3 in an injury-riddled year looks awfully good.