Old 11-11-2018, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
To eject a starting QB on a crucial drive under this rule is a gamechanger and, IMHO, ridiculous.
They didn't. They ejected him for shit-talking a referee, KNOWING he already had an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:45 AM

FCS Davidson ran for 789 yards and lost

http://www.espn.com/college-football...-diego-toreros
Old 11-11-2018, 11:29 AM

From a reliable twitter source , Bobby Petrino was fired by Louisville, will not finish the season.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
FCS Davidson ran for 789 yards and lost

http://www.espn.com/college-football...-diego-toreros
I read that as, "For Christ's sake, Davidson ran for 789 yards and lost!"
Old 11-13-2018, 10:38 AM

Colorado firing their coach after the season. not a surprise, his conference record is 14-38 in 6 seasons.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Once again Texas Tech comes up short. Tech played well, and I believe they could've beaten UT, but they made mistakes, and sadly most of them were committed by second-string QB Jett Duffey. Three turnovers, one interception and two fumbles, all committed by Duffey. I think "protecting the ball" is going to be a big theme in his practice sessions this week.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:52 PM

ESPN is starting another bowl game in Myrtle Beach. Great place to visit in warm weather but I've been there in Dec and it's pretty dead then. They are tying into lower leagues such as CUSA and Sunbelt
Old 11-13-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
ESPN is starting another bowl game in Myrtle Beach. Great place to visit in warm weather but I've been there in Dec and it's pretty dead then. They are tying into lower leagues such as CUSA and Sunbelt
It used to be that being invited to a Bowl Game was an honor. Now I think they hand them out at Dunkin Donuts with the purchase of a large coffee. In 1985, WVU had a 7-3-1 record and was not invited to a bowl. Now even sub-.500 teams get a bowl.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
It used to be that being invited to a Bowl Game was an honor. Now I think they hand them out at Dunkin Donuts with the purchase of a large coffee. In 1985, WVU had a 7-3-1 record and was not invited to a bowl. Now even sub-.500 teams get a bowl.
Sub-.500 teams are ineligible for bowl games.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Sub-.500 teams are ineligible for bowl games.
Not true, if there are not enough six-win teams to fill all Bowl slots, they will offer games to teams that are 5-7, prioritized by graduation rates (or some similar academic standard).
Old 11-14-2018, 12:37 PM

they might as well add enough bowls for every team. 1-10 team vs. 2-10 is probably just as entertaining as 6-6 vs. 5-7. BTW all of these crap bowls are created and owned by ESPN.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:49 PM

They really do need the Crap Bowl (maybe sponsored by Roto-Rooter).
Old 11-14-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
Not true, if there are not enough six-win teams to fill all Bowl slots, they will offer games to teams that are 5-7, prioritized by graduation rates (or some similar academic standard).
As of right now, 66 of the 78 bowl berths are accounted for (who knew Cal's defense would show up for the second half against USC - in Los Angeles, no less?), so there's a good chance all of them will be filled.
There is an order in which any leftover spots would be filled if there aren't 78 teams with 6-6 or better records (and note Ole Miss has an NCAA bowl ban this season):
1. Normally, a team can count one win against an FCS team if that team gave out at least 90% of its allowed scholarships. If a 6-6 team had a win against a team that didn't, it has to be chosen at this point.
2. A team that played 13 regular season games and finished 6-7. Right now, Hawaii has a chance to do that. Note that a team that was 6-6 in the regular season but lost its conference championship game is automatically bowl eligible.
3. Normally, Liberty is not bowl eligible; however, if it has a 6-6 or better record, it becomes bowl eligible at this point.
4. If there are still openings, they are filled by 5-6 or 5-7 teams in order of their four-year football Academic Progess Rate (APR), with ties broken by the schools' most recent one-year PR - except that the Pac-12 has a new rule saying that its schools cannot go to bowl games with a sub-500 record (Arizona, Colorado, and USC can still finish 5-7).
The current top ten APRs among teams that can finish 5-7 are:
Air Force
Vanderbilt
Illinois
Kansas State
Minnesota
Maryland
Nebraska
Baylor
Wake Forest
Miami Ohio
Old 11-16-2018, 09:14 PM

Games affected by the northern California wildfire:

Cal-Stanford has been moved to 12/1 at noon Pacific (they can't play next week because Cal already plays Colorado and Stanford plays UCLA; they can play 12/1 as neither team can make it to the conference championship game on the same day)

Sacramento State-UC-Davis will be played in Reno

San Jose State-Nevada will be played on Saturday as scheduled, but the start has been moved back from 2 PM Pacific to noon
Old 11-16-2018, 11:37 PM

I don't get it; why are these games affected by the Camp Fire?
Old 11-17-2018, 01:25 PM

Citadel has now scored more points against 'Bama than LSU and MSU.

Combined.

And it's only halftime!!!
Old 11-17-2018, 03:36 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

I'm not really sure why I'm watching Syracuse-Notre Dame. Considering the turnovers and ease of movement for the Irish, I'm impressed that the Orange are only two touchdowns down early in the 2nd quarter.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
I don't get it; why are these games affected by the Camp Fire?
There's a high pressure system in California that is pretty much dragging the smoke from the fire down into the Bay Area.

I am looking outside right now (Saturday, 2:30 PM Pacific), and it's not as bad as in past days, but the visibility is still less than 2 miles, and I am over 100 miles away from Paradise. It tends to get worse as the day goes on.

The air quality in Folsom (about 80 miles from Paradise, but farther east than the San Francisco area) was just good enough in the morning to get in a high school cross country meet, but all of the races had to be run in the morning (what would normally be 10 races were condensed into 4) in order to get them in before the air got too bad for them to run.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:59 PM

Ugh. That sounds pretty bad. I don't recall ever seeing it be that bad in the Sacto area when I lived there in the 80s.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
I'm not really sure why I'm watching Syracuse-Notre Dame. Considering the turnovers and ease of movement for the Irish, I'm impressed that the Orange are only two touchdowns down early in the 2nd quarter.
Oh wow, Notre Dame and Michigan get "statement" wins.

The Irish are a bunch of over-hyped cupcakes and everyone knows it.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:13 AM

Urban Meyer might be done after this year - the little punk can't handle accountability and the possibility of 2 losses in a season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ohio-state-...221253348.html

This is it, Buckeyes. Enjoy your title in 2014/15. Meyer's out. He can't handle not being champion. He'll leave your program a mess and then the guy who comes in will get the blame. Have fun, Buckey Bros!!!!
Old 11-18-2018, 02:17 AM

Wow, the Cougars got 55 points in the first half and finished with 69. 7 different TD passes to 6 different receivers. Gardner Minshew broke a Washington State record, most passes in a single game in school history. Final score, 69-28 over Arizona.

Hopefully the committee will notice this game. They were on fire in all three phases. They even got a touchdown from a muffed kickoff return.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Urban Meyer might be done after this year - the little punk can't handle accountability and the possibility of 2 losses in a season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ohio-state-...221253348.html

This is it, Buckeyes. Enjoy your title in 2014/15. Meyer's out. He can't handle not being champion. He'll leave your program a mess and then the guy who comes in will get the blame. Have fun, Buckey Bros!!!!
Were it only so.

More likely OSU gets by Michigan on Saturday, defeats Northwestern for the Big Ten title, gets selected for the playoff by committee admirers and then gets squashed by Alabama. Meyer survives.*

*he does look like he's hurting badly in that linked video.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 11-18-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Were it only so.

More likely OSU gets by Michigan on Saturday, defeats Northwestern for the Big Ten title, gets selected for the playoff by committee admirers and then gets squashed by Alabama. Meyer survives.*

*he does look like he's hurting badly in that linked video.
I would feel kinda bad if something actually did happen to his health, but I also could see him using this to lay the groundwork for quitting at the end of the year. Remember how he left Florida for "health problems," leaving UF's program in shambles and reviving the OSU program.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:26 PM

Umass fired their coach , he was given an extension a few months ago.

It was his 2nd stint there.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...pple-part-ways
Old 11-23-2018, 12:58 PM

Big weekend of rivalry games, with the big two being the Iron Bowl and Big Blue vs OSU.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:18 PM

God dammit Harbaugh, show some brains. Run first down , run second down, throw third down just doesn't work these days against anybody worth a damn.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:25 PM

Did Michigan show up today ? Does not look like it.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Did Michigan show up today ? Does not look like it.
That's not really fair. They were down 21-19 near the end of the first half (failed 2-pt. conversion). If they hadn't let The Ohio State University score 17 unanswered points in the third quarter, the score would have been quite close. It just looks bad because of the total points the Buckeyes scored.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:54 PM

So much for everyone's predicted semifinals.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:39 PM

Because somebody has to say it:

I don't care if Notre Dame goes "undefeated", they're not playoff material. They're basically getting beat, except for the fact that USC fumbles the football every time they're close to the 20 yard line. If Notre Dame wants respect, be like other major programs and join a conference (preferably one with a conference title game) where you're guaranteed to face at least 1 or 2 stiff tests every year. They could join the Big or the ACC and silence their critics. But no, Notre Dame is "special".

Well, the way most people remember the Irish's last playoff appearance was a disaster, with their great linebackers and linemen getting dragged 10 or 15 yards down the field by Eddy Lacy. The country doesn't want to watch that again. I'd rather watch 1-loss Ohio State or 1-loss Oklahoma than an "undefeated" Irish team. I'd even take a 2-loss Georgia team.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

I sometimes wonder how much of Notre Dame’s success comes from playing a bunch of different teams every year. Their opponents don’t get to see them year after year to learn their proclivities and have to rely on just a week of film prep to beat them.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
I sometimes wonder how much of Notre Dame’s success comes from playing a bunch of different teams every year. Their opponents don’t get to see them year after year to learn their proclivities and have to rely on just a week of film prep to beat them.
Their 'success' comes from selecting teams to play for television ratings; if they played in a major conference in which there were consistently 2 or 3 solid 8 or 9-team wins against quality opponents, then we'd see how good they really are (or aren't). Seriously, I think UCF deserves more respect than Notre Dame. Let's not fall for this scam again.

But hey I'm a nice guy and willing to make a deal: ND can go undefeated and get into the playoff, but if they lose by more than 2 TDs in the first round, then they agree to never enter the playoff again until they join a major conference. Deal?

Last edited by asahi; 11-24-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

I mean, I’m not in any way a ND fan, I’d love to see them get rolled by Bama again. But it’s not like they don’t try to schedule quality opponents, sometimes those teams collapse between when the schedule is made and when they play *cough* FSU *cough*, but they played Michigan and Stanford as well as division winners Pitt and Northwestern this year too.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:56 PM

Relax, some people won't stop griping until it's four SEC teams in the playoffs.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Their 'success' comes from selecting teams to play for television ratings; if they played in a major conference in which there were consistently 2 or 3 solid 8 or 9-team wins against quality opponents, then we'd see how good they really are (or aren't). Seriously, I think UCF deserves more respect than Notre Dame. Let's not fall for this scam again.
This is complete nonsense. Notre Dame's schedule is, year after year, stronger than most Div I teams. They don't schedule three cupcakes like the SEC teams, they don't play non-Power-5 conference opponents for the most part (this year's only minor conference team was Ball St.), and based upon pre-season and/or early season viewpoints, having Michigan, Stanford, VaTech, Northwestern, Florida St. and Syracuse on their schedule was certainly a tough sled.

By comparison, the mighty Alabama has played Louisville, Arkansas St., The Ragin' Cajuns of La-Laf, and The Citadel, along with last-place Tennessee, last-place Arkansas, and hapless Ole Miss. That schedule, compared to the one Notre Dame is playing, is a complete Smörgåsbord of cream puffs. Alabama should be ashamed. Except, of course, that they do that every year, yet manage often to come through in the really tough games. If Notre Dame manages to stay undefeated, they certainly have at least as good a claim to a spot as anyone not named Clemson...
Old 11-24-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
This is complete nonsense. Notre Dame's schedule is, year after year, stronger than most Div I teams. They don't schedule three cupcakes like the SEC teams, they don't play non-Power-5 conference opponents for the most part (this year's only minor conference team was Ball St.), and based upon pre-season and/or early season viewpoints, having Michigan, Stanford, VaTech, Northwestern, Florida St. and Syracuse on their schedule was certainly a tough sled.

By comparison, the mighty Alabama has played Louisville, Arkansas St., The Ragin' Cajuns of La-Laf, and The Citadel, along with last-place Tennessee, last-place Arkansas, and hapless Ole Miss. That schedule, compared to the one Notre Dame is playing, is a complete Smörgåsbord of cream puffs. Alabama should be ashamed. Except, of course, that they do that every year, yet manage often to come through in the really tough games. If Notre Dame manages to stay undefeated, they certainly have at least as good a claim to a spot as anyone not named Clemson...
Wait til ND gets into the playoffs. They'll probably get into the tunnel and then piss in their pants once they realize it's Alabama they're playing and forfeit the game.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Relax, some people won't stop griping until it's four SEC teams in the playoffs.
It took me a while, but I’ve finally come around to the belief that an 8-team playoff would be the ideal number. I thought 4 would be perfect, but seeing some of the machinations the committee goes through year after year to make sure their “favorites” get, well, favored ... just make the Power 5 conference championships automatic play-in games.

The only drawback to 8? Here’s what I’d expect: “Well, your Power 5 champions are in, of course. Then a spot for the highest-ranked non-Power 5 team. And you’ve still got a spot for another at-large.”
“But wouldn’t there be two at-large spots?”
“Oh, SEC would have 2 teams in every year.”
Old 11-24-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Wait til ND gets into the playoffs. They'll probably get into the tunnel and then piss in their pants once they realize it's Alabama they're playing and forfeit the game.
And what are you going to do if Notre Dame beats Alabama? Come in and admit that your opinions are the ravings of a lunatic?

Not to mention that I don't see you admitting that your comment about Notre Dame's strength of schedule was nonsense.

Last edited by DSYoungEsq; 11-24-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:16 AM

LSU v Texas A&M headed to sixth OT. They seem intent on establishing the weakness of the college format.

If LSU loses, a real interesting possibility begins to shape up. #4 Michigan lost today. #5 Georgia will presumably lose in the SEC Championship. #6 Oklahoma could well lose in the Big-12 Championship game. #7 LSU would have lost. #8 Wash St. lost. This allows either #9 UCF and #10 Ohio St. to move up into the fourth slot.

Do they take an undefeated UCF? Or do they take one-loss Ohio St. (assuming OSU wins the BiG Championship)? They moved UCF ahead of OSU last week; will they UNmove them now that the Buckeyes won the Big Game??

ETA: Overtime #7 coming up.

Last edited by DSYoungEsq; 11-25-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:23 AM

'SC fan, here. I was expecting a loss, and am somewhat relieved it wasn't a complete humiliation. We played them tough, and mostly beat ourselves. See ya, Mr. Helton. You had one job (beat UCLA and ND).

Don't even want to watch any bowl games this season. I might extract my fat, lazy ass off the couch and get some pre-Christmas skiing in for a change. Even if its crap man-made Ribbon Of Death. Or maybe some serious log-splitting.

The idea of rooting for ND, 'Bama or Urban Meyer make me want to hook a respirator to a two-stroke motorcycle exhaust pipe. And I've got both!

Quote:
That schedule, compared to the one Notre Dame is playing, is a complete Smörgåsbord of cream puffs. Alabama should be ashamed. Except, of course, that they do that every year, yet manage often to come through in the really tough games.
Your team stays healthy when you play High-school teams. I think tonight was the first time Tua played in the 4th qtr. (if he even did, I turned it off around then)
Old 11-25-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
The idea of rooting for ND, 'Bama or Urban Meyer make me want to hook a respirator to a two-stroke motorcycle exhaust pipe. And I've got both!
There is another option. I will deny vehemently I ever typed this, but you could

Root for Clemson.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:32 AM

And Texas A&M wins!!!!!!

Last edited by DSYoungEsq; 11-25-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:33 AM

Wow, 74-72 in the 7th OT.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Root for Clemson.

Who?
Old 11-25-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Who?
Old 11-25-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
And what are you going to do if Notre Dame beats Alabama?
I don't have to worry about that because it'll never happen.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
And Texas A&M wins!!!!!!
They did, but they shouldn't have even played the OT. One of the worst officiating performances in recent memory.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:13 AM

At this point, the playoffs really ought to be based on who the committee believes has a chance against Alabama. Clearly Clemson does, but after that, it becomes a lot less clear. Notre Dame is undefeated, but so what? If USC's receivers were running around the field in the first half, I can only imagine how Alabama's passing game, with 3 or 4 NFL-ready WRs would do - it would be ugly. Ohio State and Oklahoma actually have offenses that can spread the ball and make Alabama work a little on defense.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:35 AM

College FB still has a major issue - when you lose plays a big role in your ranking.

Lose 1st game win 11 in a row and you finish 11-1
Win 11 in a row and lose your last game and you finish 11-1

almost always the team that loses early will be ranked above the team with the late loss. No other sport cares about when you lose during the regular season.