Old 09-24-2018, 02:34 PM

Baker Mayfield is the chosen one.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:10 PM

The chosen 30th that is.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:28 PM

Alright, so the trade of Josh Gordon is disgusting. I get it, they must've told him he has to be perfect to make the team, then he fucked up by hurting himself shooting an unauthorized promo video, which is a legitimate fuckup. But the guy isn't even getting suspended, it's not (as far as we know) drug related.

We spent 4 years trying to keep Gordon on the straight track because his potential is worth it, and now after all that you throw it away on what ends up being a relatively minor fuckup that only cost him a week of football and no suspension?

Josh Gordon should've played for the Browns or no one. Trading him for scraps is going to come back and haunt me every fucking weekend because Gordon is going to get his head on straight and become a star somewhere else, and I have to live with that every fucking week for the rest of his career. That bugs me more than 0-16 (as compared to 3-13 or whatever) bugs me.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:14 PM

So I predicted 7, maybe 8 wins this year. I’m looking pretty good on that so far. They’re handling the Raiders today, which will give them their first winning record since... a long time ago.

I may have to start hating them again.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:55 PM

...and they blow a 14-point lead and are now down 3.

They really are the Cleveland Brownsiest.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:26 PM

...and now are up 8.

The Kardiac Kids are back, Browns fans.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:43 PM

To try to avoid accusations of bias, everyone thinks the Browns blatantly got game-changingly screwed by the refs multiple times, including a particularly baffling measure-then-respot-then-measure bullshit where a first down would've lead to kneeldowns to end the game, which even the studio guys, who were sucking the ref crew's dicks all game, were baffled by. I would almost say it's unprecedented for them to change the spot of a ball in the manner they did with no supporting evidence, but I'm sure it's happened once or twice before.

Excuses and blah blah and teams should overcome them but the reality is that the Browns won with that first down, and the refs forced them to win again. That's now 3 OT games with ridiculously close finishes.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:11 PM

No, they got jobbed. I agree completely.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
To try to avoid accusations of bias, everyone thinks the Browns blatantly got game-changingly screwed by the refs multiple times, including a particularly baffling measure-then-respot-then-measure bullshit where a first down would've lead to kneeldowns to end the game, which even the studio guys, who were sucking the ref crew's dicks all game, were baffled by. I would almost say it's unprecedented for them to change the spot of a ball in the manner they did with no supporting evidence, but I'm sure it's happened once or twice before.

Excuses and blah blah and teams should overcome them but the reality is that the Browns won with that first down, and the refs forced them to win again. That's now 3 OT games with ridiculously close finishes.
There are some calls from the refs this year that I just don’t get. Maybe the worst this weekend was Lynch getting blown dead while spinning away from a tackler. He’s Beast Mode, he’ll just keep going. And he wasn’t even stopped, he was just getting around the guy.

You’d think these were the replacement refs again. Or refs from FIFA. They really are crapping on this sport and making it less watchable.

Last edited by Atamasama; 10-01-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:03 AM

I didn't see the game, just followed the ticker and saw a couple game breaks. How did Mayfield look? His stats weren't stellar on the ticker, but I'm more interested how he fared with the eyeball test. Regressing like Darnold, or still looked good?
Old 10-01-2018, 11:06 AM

Still very good. There were a large number of drops that hit receivers, and also the field was really shitty so that when Mayfield tried to throw to a spot and throw the guy open sometimes they'd slip on their cut and what should've been a completion wasn't. Missed a 60 yard bomb by a foot which would've been caught if Callaway had run hard for his entire route.

Didn't look as sharp as the game wore on, but his offense scored 42 points in his first start
Old 10-04-2018, 11:21 AM

PFF rookie grades are out

Mayfield is the top rookie (at any position), Genard Avery is the top edge rusher, Denzel Ward is top CB.

3 of the top 10 is pretty damn good.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:48 PM

...and the Bengals Jesse Bates gets an honorable mention. Woot!
Old 10-04-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
PFF rookie grades are out

Mayfield is the top rookie (at any position), Genard Avery is the top edge rusher, Denzel Ward is top CB.

3 of the top 10 is pretty damn good.
I thought the same thing looking at that.

I feel like the ďBrowns are losersĒ days are over, and Iím a bit sad that the one constant in the NFL is gone. But good for Cleveland fans. It must be exciting to root for the Browns this year, knowing you have some real talent on rookie contracts. That gives your team a chance to really build up over the next few years.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:42 PM

Every damn game this year is like this. But we finally won one.

When I caught a glimpse of that wobbly ass kick in OT I thought it had been blocked and I was sure it was going to be another tie.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When I caught a glimpse of that wobbly ass kick in OT I thought it had been blocked and I was sure it was going to be another tie.
That final kick was so bad I'm wondering if this will be the first time a kicker is cut after hitting the winning field goal.

Last edited by whitetho; 10-07-2018 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Laces out...
Old 10-07-2018, 07:00 PM

Man, Browns could have been undefeated by now. Kardiac Kids days again?
Old 10-07-2018, 07:01 PM

It's going to be like this all year. The defense is good enough to keep it close. The offense is still a work in progress. I'll take ugly.

Cue the ancient curse of, "May you live in interesting times."
Old 10-15-2018, 09:05 PM

Wayne Mackie
Vice President of Officiating Evaluation and Development
NFL Football Operations

TO:
Cleveland Browns on Erie
Cleveland, Ohio

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

Once again, on review, it appears, there may have been an officiating error in your past game against the San Diego Stub Hub Chargers. Regrettably, a linesman missed a six foot five, three hundred and fifty pound offensive tackle jerk suddenly upright and back off the line of scrimmage a full count before the actual snap. This error, which was evident to a number of defensive players and tens of thousand of fans watching the game, caused several of said players to believe an illegal procedure (false start) penalty occurred and anticipate the play being stopped. This did not occur and resulted in an easy completion for the offense (Chargers).

The non-call was discussed in our standard review of official's performance. The crew chief offered the following possibilities for the error:

1. We arrived as late as possible to Cleveland and wanted to get out of town as early as possible. Delaying the game for a 5 yard walk off and down replay would have cost us at least a minute. While only one call, these delays add up.

2. Crew composition. Our crew has the highest number of personnel being treated for narcolepsy in the league. Also having Riddick, Neo, and Eli on the crew puts us at a significant visual disadvantage.

3. There was some confusion over whether to take the red pill or the blue pill during warm-ups.

4. The Chargers were curb-stomping them anyway.

Please accept our apologies, hope and prayers for improved officiating performance in forthcoming games. The league offices and the Commissioner are making correct calls a matter of continuing emphasis. Congratulations on your return to relevance.

WITH UTMOST SINCERITY:

ALBERTO RIVERON, SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OF OFFICIATING

RUSSELL YURK, VICE PRESIDENT OF INSTANT REPLAY & ADMINISTRATION &

WAYNE MACKIE, VICE PRESIDENT OF OFFICIATING EVALUATION & DEVELOPMENT
Old 10-17-2018, 04:09 PM

Well this is the first game the Browns got beat convincingly. Every other game could've easily been a win, and probably should've been. The Chargers are quietly good this year and no one really cares, possibly because they don't have a fanbase.

I was convinced that these "WTF, ALMOST" passes Mayfield keeps throwing were going to start connecting once he had more practice with his receivers. I'm starting to think that the receivers are garbage. Certainly Calloway needs to spend about 500 hours in catching practice. Every week we have to deal with 5+ passes that hit the receivers in the hands only to amount to nothing. Or a 50+ yard bomb that Callaway misjudges by a foot and it's ALMOST THERE EVERY FUCKING TIME. He should have like 4 60+ yard scores this year.

I'm not sure if the receivers (particularly njoku and callaway) are bad, or if this is just the result of Mayfield getting no first team reps all year and the chemistry just isn't there. I was hoping it was the latter, but how many damn weeks do we have to see the same thing?
Old 10-21-2018, 02:20 PM

I didn't get it. After a hard fought overtime win this team came out twice like they don't give a shit. Is 2 wins enough of an improvement to coast on now?
Old 10-21-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I didn't get it. After a hard fought overtime win this team came out twice like they don't give a shit. Is 2 wins enough of an improvement to coast on now?
Two wins and a tie! Donít forget!
Old 10-21-2018, 08:03 PM

They almost managed another tie. Only they Browned it away.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:47 PM

Rumors are starting to fly about ownership being quite unhappy with Hue. Not sure what to make of it. It'd be weird if they had the patience for the last two seasons and are only beginning to act now. But maybe Hue made specific promises about number of wins or something to save his job and we're not there.

Not sure what we're looking at - Haley takes over during the bye?

Not sure what I even want. The losses this year have not been based primarily around coaching blunders for the most part as they often were in years past. We haven't won any games due to good coaching either, of course. But a couple of missed kicks and other minor plays and the Browns could easily have 4-5 wins right now - which obviously would let Hue keep his job - so I'm not sure it really makes sense to go firing him now.

Maybe he's losing the locker room? That's what you could always say to defend him in the past - somehow through 2 nearly winless seasons he never lost the locker room and the team never gave up. Maybe being so frustratingly close to being good is driving people crazy and he's starting to lose it.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 10-22-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:56 PM

I give Hue a pass for his first two years, even 0-16. But this year, I think you can make a case that the team is not as bad as their record. The biggest thing holding them back is sloppiness. Yesterday the Browns committed 14 penalties. They are tied for league lead in penalties. I hate to say it because I really like Hue, but somebody has got be accountable and the team just looks undisciplined.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
I give Hue a pass for his first two years, even 0-16. But this year, I think you can make a case that the team is not as bad as their record. The biggest thing holding them back is sloppiness. Yesterday the Browns committed 14 penalties. They are tied for league lead in penalties. I hate to say it because I really like Hue, but somebody has got be accountable and the team just looks undisciplined.
What's he supposed to do to stop it? Threaten to bench those committing fouls? Threaten to trade away malcontents? Changing a problem like that takes time. It requires that the players begin to feel like they can rely on skill to win, not taking silly chances to avoid losing. Unless the coach has a big stick, which I doubt Jackson does in Cleveland.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:31 AM

Yeah, I don't know what can be done now. Discipline needs to be instilled much earlier, like throughout training camp. I don't know how much is really Hue vs. something else, but when teams play sloppy or sluggish (like Cleveland against San Diego) that always falls back on the coach.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:47 PM

I still see the Browns as a 1-31 (over 2 years) team that doesn’t look that bad this year. That still has to count for something. You can’t rest on your laurels or anything but if they can fix their biggest problems and build on the talent they have they might be pretty good next year.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:30 PM

A team that went 1-31 in the last two seasons that now has two wins, a tie and four overtime games out of 7 total games this season isn't a mark of a coach losing the locker room or the team giving up. Quite the contrary, in fact.

If the Browns fire Jackson now, it would be extremely bizarre.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:31 PM

For the record, I definitely would not want to fire Hue Jackson now. I'd like to at least play out this season. And I don't want to put an arbitrary win number out there as a target. But you have to consider how the team is playing and whether they're progressing, regressing, or staying the same. You could argue they took steps backwards over the last 2 weeks. Now we've got to go to Pittsburgh and I expect the team to play well, but we'll see.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:51 PM

The problem with considering these results an improvement and therefore keeping Hue is that he set the bar extremely low himself and he'd be rewarded for having done that. Winning 1 game in your first 2 years makes pretty much anything an improvement, so if we end up finishing like 5-10-1, that's obviously a big improvement over the last 2 years. But the relevant question isn't "is the team improving?" but "where would the team be now if you had a different coach than Hue Jackson?" - if a good coaching staff could get this team to 9-7 this year instead, then Jackson is a failure even if 5-10-1 is an improvement on his previous years.

I've heard, but not sure if it's actually true, that Hue's contract specifies a big payout if he's fired in his first 3 years. Part of an incentive to entice what was at the time a widely sought after coaching commodity - close to a guarantee of getting three years to turn it around. If that's the case, then it provides some explanation as to why ownership seems to love Hue no matter what - maybe they can't afford the payout and they're stuck with him until the end of this year. It's also beneficial to not be seen as an ownership that will get rid of coaches in a year or two, being given a full chance looks better to future coach prospects.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:28 PM

I’ve thought about that. Hue was the coach when the team was historically bad so you can’t quite say he’s a great coach for turning the team around. Because isn’t he turning it around from himself? I know he inherited a long-term mess but it was a mess that got even worse under his leadership, at least at first.

But still my gut says you don’t yank the rug out from someone who’s getting up. I’d recommend giving him one more year, assuming they don’t just lose out the rest of this season. If they finish anywhere near 50% I’d give him some more rope and he can either use that rope to pull the team up and improve more next year (a winning season?) or hang himself if they don’t improve further or if they regress.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:20 PM

In an unprecedented move it looks like the official that missed the obvious-to-everyone false start by the Chargers, has been fired by the NFL. In that article it states the NFL has never fired an official mid season like this before for poor performance.

This could be the break that the Browns need to get over the top!

Last edited by Clawdio; 10-25-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio View Post
This could be the break that the Browns need to get over the top!
They now officially won that game now right? I think thatís how the football game works.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:31 PM

The Browns would be stupid to fire Hue now, whether he has some contractual payout or not. The team is in a fragile mental state and needs solid, unwavering and committed leadership, and IMO, since Hue used to coach for my team, and has been a head coach before (and got fired from the Raiders kinda bizarrely after posting an 8-8 record his first season), he is providing that.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:17 PM

And the NFL also admitted that a helmet hit on Mayfield should have been called.
https://deadspin.com/nfl-admits-helm...-ab-1830033840
Old 10-26-2018, 05:35 PM

Yeah, there's a lot of "woops, sorry Browns, somehow we missed super obvious things even under review and you got fucked over and lost. Yes, I know we sent this same apology every week since the start of the season, but don't worry, you'll probably get them through the rest of the season too." going around.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah, there's a lot of "woops, sorry Browns, somehow we missed super obvious things even under review and you got fucked over and lost. Yes, I know we sent this same apology every week since the start of the season, but don't worry, you'll probably get them through the rest of the season too." going around.
Yeah, your team really does seem to be getting the shaft quite a bit. Like in the Stealers thread, it is hard to believe that there's not something fishy going on with the officiating. I'd be hard pressed to believe that the amount of times the Browns got screwed was solely due to incompetence.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Friend of Cecil

I am partisan and so might not see it, but I find it hard to see the officiating of the Steelers-Browns game as particularly anti-Browns.
Iím afraid that the turn-around bandwagon just has, well, turned around.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:18 AM

No, no egregious officiating this week, just an ass kicking. Kind of refreshing in a way.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:26 AM

I read that the Browns are one more road loss away from tying the all-time record for consecutive losses on the road.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:44 AM

Why is Hue Jackson still the head coach? I mean, seriously? He's clueless.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post

ESPN’s fantasy app is reporting that Jackson was just fired.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
ESPNís fantasy app is reporting that Jackson was just fired.
Wow. I have the power!
Old 10-29-2018, 12:50 PM

I wonder what the clash with Haley was about? And why Haley would win out with the front office over the head coach?

Presumably its the handling of Mayfield?
Old 10-29-2018, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Haley has been fired as well. Don’t have a link yet, but just got an alert from the NFL app.

Last edited by dalej42; 10-29-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:14 PM

So Hue and Haley are both out. Well, that's surprising. And yet, not. It does seem like the team is getting worse. Apparently they will just hit the reset button yet again.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:26 PM
Friend of Cecil

Browns figured out in 8 games what it took the Steelers 85 to realize: Haley is a suboptimal coach. This shows a perspicacity uncommon to the Browns.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:56 PM

Let's point out one simple fact: organizational dysfunction at this level is a reflection of ownership. Can we get the NFL to fire the owners and hire new ones? Cleveland deserves better.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:14 PM

Wonder if this is the return of Gregg Williams to head coaching.