Old 11-02-2018, 10:28 AM

MLB Hot Stove / Offseason 2018-2019

Now that some team from the Northeast has captured the WS and winter approaches, it's time to turn our attention to an offseason that once promised excitement but has cooled off significantly. The current free-agent class was supposed to be one of the deepest ever, but injuries and age have lessened the star appeal. So what does your team need? What will they do? What do you hope they'll do?

(I copied this next bit from an old thread by Asimovian.)

This thread is your place for the entire offseason to discuss:
  • 2018 individual awards
  • managerial openings
  • free agents
  • big trades, and
  • predictions for the season to come.

Last edited by Chronos; 11-02-2018 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Fixed year typo
Old 11-02-2018, 10:29 AM

2015 awards?
Old 11-02-2018, 10:32 AM

The Yankees sign Brett Gardner for next year.

We all like Gardy, but I thought they would cut ties at this point. He'll make a decent fourth outfielder and it will keep the fans happy. With Judge, Hicks, Stanton, Ellsbury and Frazier on the roster, that should pretty much rule out Bryce Harper, but you never know.

Last edited by Blank Slate; 11-02-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
2015 awards?
Although, to keep in the spirit of the thread, if the Cubs can shore up the back of the bullpen and either acquire or develop a leadoff hitter, I would expect them to run deeper into the postseason.

They have the starting pitching. A decent leadoff hitter (and the rest of the offense returning to full health and typical stats) would help take a lot of the pressure off the starting rotation to have to be extraordinary every start.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Is anyone betting against the Yankees signing Machado? Somebody has to play SS with Gregorius out, so why not one of the biggest a-holes in the game?
Old 11-02-2018, 11:43 AM

No, it wouldn't surprise me, especially considering that they went after Machado at the trade deadline. Everyone understands that he's insanely talented, but if he wasn't sufficiently motivated in an actual World Series, what's he going to be like after scoring a guaranteed, set-for-life payday? Don't want, but I didn't want Clemens or ARod either.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:54 AM
The Zeroeth Mod

Just about five more hours until we find out if Kershaw will be a Dodger for life or not.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Cubs pick up Hamelsí option.
http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=2018110...s_chc&c_id=chc
Old 11-02-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Is anyone betting against the Yankees signing Machado? Somebody has to play SS with Gregorius out, so why not one of the biggest a-holes in the game?
I hope not, they can and should try Torres at short and have some other options rather than over-paying for a terrible shortstop that is also an ass.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian View Post
Just about five more hours until we find out if Kershaw will be a Dodger for life or not.
Interesting situation and one that could backfire horribly. Would six years and $175 million do it? If so, would you recommend it?
Old 11-02-2018, 01:22 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
It would mildly surprise me but not totally shock me. They have other holes they should be throwing money at first.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:27 PM

What the Yanks need most is what most teams need most, a legit ace.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:44 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Interesting situation and one that could backfire horribly. Would six years and $175 million do it? If so, would you recommend it?
I'm really torn. Setting aside World Series performances, I feel like Kershaw has properly settled into his new, lower-velocity role. But is his health stable? Is he going to physically deteriorate quickly after another season pitching as deep into the season as possible? Somewhere in between? I really don't know.

So, practically speaking, I'd like to see that dollar figure come down some if we're going to give him six years. But my heart wants him to retire as a Dodger, as he's easily this generation's best chance at going into the Hall of Fame with an "LA" on the cap, so I don't want to risk insulting him. Plus, it sounds like his work ethic is infectious with the folks around him. So yeah, if it were my money, I'd probably cave and give him $30m/year for six years.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:35 PM

The Red Sox are talking who could be the new closer for 2019, so it looks pretty likely that Kimbrel will sign elsewhere. Although the bullpen was solid in the postseason, that was not the case for most of 2018. I'm afraid guys like Joe Kelly and Nathan Eovaldi are going to command big money based on a couple weeks of greatness.
Other than strengthening the bullpen, maybe the Sox look for a catcher who can hit. But again, Vazquez was actually a pretty solid bat in the playoffs, despite being slightly above the Mendoza line during the regular season. Anyway, Grendal and McCann don't stir up much excitement for me.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

I fixed the typo in the year in the OP.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:21 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Kershaw and the Dodgers reach a 3 year agreement for $93 million, plus incentives.

Now if they can just get a new closer, some better middle relief, another starter, a young catcher...

Last edited by silenus; 11-02-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Kershaw and the Dodgers reach a 3 year agreement for $93 million, plus incentives.

Now if they can just get a new closer, some better middle relief, another starter, a young catcher...
Wow, he could have gotten much more as a free agent. I guess he either desperately wants to stay in LA or he has a shitty agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]

I fixed the typo in the year in the OP.
Thanks.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Wow, he could have gotten much more as a free agent. I guess he either desperately wants to stay in LA or he has a shitty agent.

Thanks.
$30 mil a year for a pitcher on the decline is a win for Kershaw. Getting to pitch in a homerun friendly park is another win.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:36 PM

The point was he could have made much more guaranteed money in free agency. Tacking on $23 million for one year is a hometown discount.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:37 PM

Receives a million dollars each time he starts a game.

Good wages for playing a kid's game.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:13 AM

Yep, ain't nothing like it.

Mariano Rivera averaged around $132,000 per inning over his career. I wonder if he's tops when you break it down. Kershaw is averaging $79,000 per inning.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:57 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Maybe after we both retire I'll hire him to play catch with me. I'll have to win the lottery first, of course.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I'd be surprised if they don't sign him. Gregorius is going to be a free agent at the end of the 2019 season, and Machado can more than replace his missing offense. If they can't get Harper, Machado makes sense for them.

Plus he's clean-cut (by hair/beard standards anyway), sure to fit into the locker room culture and be given respectful treatment by the New York sports media.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 11-03-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post

Indeed. The thing is, he's worth it.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:32 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post

Well that, plus constant workouts and practice through much of the year, arduous travel, and screwing up your muscles and joints for life, not to mention the chance to be reviled by millions of people for decades if a ball gets away from you at a critical time.

But it's still good wages.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
The point was he could have made much more guaranteed money in free agency. Tacking on $23 million for one year is a hometown discount.
I disagree. He would have not made anywhere close to 30 mil a season in free agency. Front offices have changed. He did as well as he could expect.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:10 AM

I think if Kershaw thought he could have made more, he'd have gone. So other good starting pitcher free agents are Dallas Keuchel, Patrick Corbin, and Charlie Morton. Houston may only keep one of Morton or Keuchel. One of the other two mentioned probably ends up on the Yankees.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:31 AM

Great now the Dodgers are losing their real talent to the Giants can't we enforce no interdivision exec moves?
Old 11-07-2018, 09:34 AM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
Great now the Dodgers are losing their real talent to the Giants can't we enforce no interdivision exec moves?
Honestly, I'm just wondering if we're going to trade Puig to the Reds so he doesn't have to find someone new to kiss.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:30 PM

Bryce Harper turned down 10/300 to stay in Washington. Is he going to get 10/350? That is just crazy. He was the 2015 NL MVP and has not had a top 10 finish in MVP voting since. In fact, his 2018 was downright pedestrian with 1.3 WAR. I wouldn't want him for anywhere near the money he thinks he can get.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Charter Jays Fan

You only have to convince one GM.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:26 PM

Maybe it ain't the money.

He wants the ring!
Old 11-08-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Bryce Harper turned down 10/300 to stay in Washington. Is he going to get 10/350? That is just crazy. He was the 2015 NL MVP and has not had a top 10 finish in MVP voting since. In fact, his 2018 was downright pedestrian with 1.3 WAR. I wouldn't want him for anywhere near the money he thinks he can get.
I think Harper has more value to the Nats than any other team. The Nats are still a new franchise and even people who don't really follow the game know who Harper is. For a the Nats, being so closely associated with such a well name player means more than for a team like the Yankees which has a much longer history of star players. Harper's agent Boras does a lot of business with the Nats and it wouldn't surprise me if they come to terms.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:30 AM

I kind of think he'll stay in Washington, too. Don't see him going to the Yankees, they've got a pretty good right fielder. So do the Red Sox. Rumor has it the Phillies are the most interested. Boras says Harper's value is up to $500M. Not sure if he's thinking 15 year deal or what, but either way that is insanity.

ETA: Would love to see Philly fans reaction if they do sign Harper to a huge contract and he's hitting in the .240s again next year.

Last edited by Barkis is Willin'; 11-08-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
I kind of think he'll stay in Washington, too. Don't see him going to the Yankees, they've got a pretty good right fielder. So do the Red Sox. Rumor has it the Phillies are the most interested. Boras says Harper's value is up to $500M. Not sure if he's thinking 15 year deal or what, but either way that is insanity.

ETA: Would love to see Philly fans reaction if they do sign Harper to a huge contract and he's hitting in the .240s again next year.
Boris says a lot of things. All part of his negotiating tactics.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:28 PM

The Nats could do a lot with that money. They need starters, relievers and a catcher. And I have no problem with an outfield of Soto, Robles and Eaton, even though Robles hasn't really proven himself yet. I think there was talk of moving Bryce to 1B in any event. He's not a great outfielder.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Boris says a lot of things. All part of his negotiating tactics.
At some point you damage your own credibility. But, it seems Scot Boras doesn't really care much about his reputation.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Bill James says the players are all replaceable.
Quote:
"If the players all retired tomorrow, we would replace them," James continued. "The game would go on; in three years it would make no difference whatsoever. The players are NOT the game, any more than the beer vendors are."
Time to check into the Old Fools Home, Bill.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Yep, I heard that from my brother and just shook my head.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:

I agree with him. There would be new star pitchers and hitters. Are there not stars in any level of organized baseball?
Old 11-08-2018, 11:01 PM

Sure thing, sparky.

AAA ball is exactly the same as MLB. So is AA and the Australian League. Same skill level, same everything. Absolutely. Bill James should be enshrined in Cooperstown for this brilliant idea! There is no fucking difference at all! Any pitcher can throw Kershaw's curve or Scherzer's slider. Dial it up to 105 like Aroldis Chapman? No problemo. I think I did that last summer at the county fair.

Do we need to talk about defenders like Andrelton Simmons or hitters like Jose Altuve, or can we all just agree that Bill James is talking out of his ass?
Old 11-09-2018, 08:57 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:

I mean, never mind that he did not say that all the players are equally replaceable, or that MLB would not immensely suffer, or that all players are the same, or that an MLB player is equal in economic value to a beer vendor, or that there would not be a big drop in attendance if they all vanished. He did not say AAA players are the same as major league players and it's kinda stupid to accuse him of that since, logically, if he thought that, he would be advising the Red Sox to get rid of all the players they have making more than the minimum. I realize it's fun for people to criticize him for stuff he didn't say, but it's also dishonest.

What he said was in response to someone claiming "the players are the entire game," and he is absolutely, one hundred percent correct in saying that's stupid. If the 750 MLB players all vanished, they would be replaced, and within a surprisingly short period of time the level of play at the MLB level would not be visibly different to 99.5% of fans. Baseball would still be an immensely popular sport and people would want to watch professional baseball and would pay to see the best available players put on the uniforms of the Yankees, Dodgers and Cardinals. Yes, the new players would not be nearly as good as the outgoing ones, but baseball would still exist, and the talent level would rise back to where it was. MLB on average turns over its entire player base every six years, after all.

The statement to which he was responding - that players are the entire game - is self-evidently stupid. If the current batch of MLB players were the entire game and all that mattered, they would not play for MLB. They'd go play their own games, charge admission and keep all the money. But they don't, because they are not the entire game. There is a lot to producing the consumer product that is MLB. You need people to design and build stadia, people to do the scheduling, people to ump, people to broadcast, people to sew the uniforms, people to turn the bats, people to keep the grounds, people to write the stories, people to run the accounting department, people to run the social media accounts, people to arrange the travel, people to operate the scoreboard, people to be trainers and coaches and strength consultants, and yes, people to sell the beer. That does not mean an accountant should make the same as a beer vendor should make the same as Chris Sale, but it does mean they are all contributors to a cooperative enterprise.

James can be an old fool at times and in all honesty this was a dumb thing to say the way he said it just because it was inevitable that

A) People would deliberately misinterpret it, as we are seeing here, to suit an agenda, and

B) As a representative of an MLB team, he is responsible to not say things that will piss people off, even if he's being honest.

But he was right. Nothing he said was wrong, and everything people are saying was wrong were things he did not actually say.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
The Nats could do a lot with that money. They need starters, relievers and a catcher. And I have no problem with an outfield of Soto, Robles and Eaton, even though Robles hasn't really proven himself yet. I think there was talk of moving Bryce to 1B in any event. He's not a great outfielder.
I hear you, but Harper is ticket sales, jerseys, Gatorade ads, and baseball cap sales. When I go to a Nats game on the road, Iím always surprised how many Harper jerseys I see. For the Nats, he gives credibility to a young franchise, thatís not nothing. He brings in more than he costs, even at $400m. The Post had once calculated his value at around $600m over 10 years when you calculate all the money he brings in for the team.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:27 AM

You know who could vanish instantaneously without harming the game at all? Every single sabermetrician.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I hear you, but Harper is ticket sales, jerseys, Gatorade ads, and baseball cap sales. When I go to a Nats game on the road, Iím always surprised how many Harper jerseys I see. For the Nats, he gives credibility to a young franchise, thatís not nothing. He brings in more than he costs, even at $400m. The Post had once calculated his value at around $600m over 10 years when you calculate all the money he brings in for the team.
Interesting take on things. I wonder who some other examples might be of athletes worth that kind of money to their franchise?
Old 11-09-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Interesting take on things. I wonder who some other examples might be of athletes worth that kind of money to their franchise?
LeBron James impact on Cleveland is probably the most significant. I had read he was worth $300M - $500M to the city per year.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:26 PM

Please Yankees, do not sign Harper. Going from a glut of outfielders to a super glut is not helpful. A quality starter is all that separates this team from a dynasty.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:37 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I hear you, but Harper is ticket sales, jerseys, Gatorade ads, and baseball cap sales. When I go to a Nats game on the road, Iím always surprised how many Harper jerseys I see. For the Nats, he gives credibility to a young franchise, thatís not nothing. He brings in more than he costs, even at $400m.
I just don't buy that. Harper was perhaps important to a young franchise before, but Washington has other stars and the legitimacy value of Harper isn't what it was. A team with Max Scherzer is not some sort of minor league shithole that needs Bryce Harper to prove it matters.

He was the most exciting rookie hitter in many years - back in 2012. He was MVP in 2015 but has never been that good any other time. He's been a good player, not great, for three years now, and if he's not GREAT, there is no chance at all he'll be worth hundreds of millions of dollars. If he keeps being good and not great, he will not confer legitimacy on the Nationals. He'll just be an overpaid outfielder.

II don't know what he'll end up being just because he has such an odd profile. He is only 25, but he has the characteristics of an old player; a power hitter who walks a lot, doesn't hit triples, doesn't steal a lot of bases, and is a poor outfielder.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
You know who could vanish instantaneously without harming the game at all? Every single sabermetrician.
Some would say they only harmed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Please Yankees, do not sign Harper. Going from a glut of outfielders to a super glut is not helpful. A quality starter is all that separates this team from a dynasty.
Not a quality starter, the Yanks need an Ace to be throwing words like dynasty around. But yes, no Harper.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Some would say they only harmed it.
Well, there certainly are a lot of stupid people around, so yeah, some would say that.

I love how people bitch about sabermetrics, and then trot out the statistics of their choice when defending their favourite players or arguing about trades and Hall of Fame selections.