Old 12-04-2018, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Washington should sign Kaepernick. They’re desperate for a QB, they have a serious image problem due to the having a racial slur as a name, and they’re hanging onto the mere possibility of an off-season by their fingernails.
If they were worried about their image they wouldn't have claimed Reuben Foster.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:13 PM

There are probably half a dozen guys out there that could be picked up for some spare change to play QB for Washington. Kapernick was pretty meh – about level with Sanchez. At this point, they could find someone without too much difficulty, who could at least make it interesting.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Bruce Allen (Redskins team President) is pretty hard-line Republican. His brother is former Virginia governor and Senator George Allen. Dan Snyder donated $1 million to Donald Trump’s inaugural committee and $112K in 2015-16 to Right to Rise, a super PAC created to support Jeb Bush. 'Nuff said.

As long as those two are in charge, the Redskins will NEVER even look in Kap's general direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
If they were worried about their image they wouldn't have claimed Reuben Foster.
You both have good points about why it’d probably never happen, even if Colin was still good and the team could afford it.

My original point is that Colin not playing for Washington (or any other team) is more than just politics. Not that politics aren’t a reason (and possibly they’re the biggest reason) but you can’t just say it’s only about politics.

I’m wondering if Washington is going to win another game this year. They have the Giants next week, and the Jags the following week, and those are both bad teams. But without a passable (pun) QB they’re just dead in the water. Even Manning and Bortles are better than Sanchez.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
There are probably half a dozen guys out there that could be picked up for some spare change to play QB for Washington. Kapernick was pretty meh – about level with Sanchez. At this point, they could find someone without too much difficulty, who could at least make it interesting.
See, this is the aspect of the Kaepernick narrative that's frustrating. I guess it makes a lot of fans feel gross to just acknowledge that the sport they're supporting is just flat out blackballing a player for political reasons, so they deflate his skill level so they can pretend there are other reasons.

No, Colin Kaepernick was not "about level with [Mark] Sanchez." Sanchez played four more-or-less full seasons and in the best of them - 2010 with the Jets - he was worse than Kaepernick was in his worst season (2016). Kaepernick never once had a completion percentage lower than 58%; Sanchez got over this number exactly once, playing half a season for the Eagles in 2014. Sanchez's career interception percentage was 3.8%; Kaepernick's is 1.8%, the same as Tom Brady. Mark Sanchez is a bad football player by NFL standards. Colin Kaepernick was a much better quarterback than Mark Sanchez was or will ever be.

In Kaepernick's last full season, his QBR was 22nd about qualified QBs and his Quarterback Rating was 17th. Both of these are pretty flawed stats, and neither account for his value as a runner, but they serve as a useful starting point. Taken as a whole, I'd say he was about the 20th best QB in the world in 2016. Even if he's atrophied a bit from disuse, he'd still be in the top 30 - a below-average starter but unequivocally better than the likes of Mark Sanchez.

His treatment by the NFL is a continuing disgrace.

Last edited by storyteller0910; 12-04-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
I think you can put a fork in the Skins, with Smith out. I'd love to be wrong though.
Well, incredibly, they have now lost McCoy to a broken leg as well. Adios!
Old 12-04-2018, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Good data. Most people I think assume that Sanchez is a excellent game manager with a high completion rate in the mold of a Chad Pennington. You didn't include his QBR/PR ranks (and I'm lazy) but assuming you didn't cherry pick, this would certain contradict my personal presumptions.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:03 PM

Kaepernick in his prime was better than Sanchez in his prime. Maybe not by a mile, but he was better. But Kap's last two seasons in the league were not great. Now, hey, Sanchez's last couple years were pretty awful too, even worse than Kap's. When Washington was looking for a backup to Colt McCoy (who himself probably should have been a 3rd stringer) Sanchez seemed like an OK option. Now that they need a starting QB, Kaepernick would be the better option if he's interested in actually playing football.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller0910 View Post
See, this is the aspect of the Kaepernick narrative that's frustrating. I guess it makes a lot of fans feel gross to just acknowledge that the sport they're supporting is just flat out blackballing a player for political reasons, so they deflate his skill level so they can pretend there are other reasons.
I will certainly grant you that Kaepernick was better than Mark Sanchez.

Taking that and concluding that somehow means there are no other reasons that he is out of football is a huge leap though.

Kaepernick had a modicum of success (I'm not sure we can call 20th best QB a "success". I'd call it more like "not sucking") when he was running one specific offense, one tailored to his skill set. Even at his best, though, he was highly erratic and inaccurate (that completion percentage of his that you mentioned was good for 23rd among NFL QB's).

Even at his best, he wasn't a good passer, and he only got worse his last two seasons in the league (as teams began to get film on him and adjusted their defenses). He led the league his last two years in percentage of off target throws. And once the 49ers defense took a dive, so did his stats, his skills, and his wins. Hell, he was benched for Blaine fucking Gabbert his last year, not for his stance on issues, but because he wasn't anywhere a good QB anymore. His final full years' defensive adjusted yards above replacement (from Football Outsiders) was -182, the worst in the NFL. He simply couldn't succeed without a great defense and needed to run the single read option and not a grown up NFL offense that the Niners wanted to run.

Don't get me wrong, though. He was, at one time, talented enough to be a backup QB in the NFL. The problem with that, though, is that he needed a particular kind offense to be successful. And by that time, no teams were running it. So if a team wanted to make him a backup QB, they'd have to learn two separate offense, one for the starter and one for the backup. Otherwise, he was a bad, dare I say Sanchezesque, QB. When you add in the fact that having him as a backup QB would inevitably lead to problems with fans calling for him to play, it would be a nightmare.

So he was a bad starting option at QB and a problematic backup QB who only found success running one particular kind of offense that defenses eventually adjusted to. That's not going to earn him a job anywhere.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

I’m hoping after this year, we don’t have every sportswriter desperate for clicks mentioning Kaepernick every single time a QB goes down.

He doesn’t seem to have any real interest in playing football, he’s doing just fine as an activist. And, he’s not a good backup as he really needs to be on team that’s built around him. And, just like Tebow, you don’t want the headache of your back up QB giving press conferences unless he’s just pulled some children out of a burning building.

The Redskins have a schedule that could allow them to slip into the playoffs, but they’re going nowhere this year.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I will certainly grant you that Kaepernick was better than Mark Sanchez.

Taking that and concluding that somehow means there are no other reasons that he is out of football is a huge leap though.

Kaepernick had a modicum of success (I'm not sure we can call 20th best QB a "success". I'd call it more like "not sucking") when he was running one specific offense, one tailored to his skill set. Even at his best, though, he was highly erratic and inaccurate (that completion percentage of his that you mentioned was good for 23rd among NFL QB's).

Even at his best, he wasn't a good passer, and he only got worse his last two seasons in the league (as teams began to get film on him and adjusted their defenses). He led the league his last two years in percentage of off target throws. And once the 49ers defense took a dive, so did his stats, his skills, and his wins. Hell, he was benched for Blaine fucking Gabbert his last year, not for his stance on issues, but because he wasn't anywhere a good QB anymore. His final full years' defensive adjusted yards above replacement (from Football Outsiders) was -182, the worst in the NFL. He simply couldn't succeed without a great defense and needed to run the single read option and not a grown up NFL offense that the Niners wanted to run.

Don't get me wrong, though. He was, at one time, talented enough to be a backup QB in the NFL. The problem with that, though, is that he needed a particular kind offense to be successful. And by that time, no teams were running it. So if a team wanted to make him a backup QB, they'd have to learn two separate offense, one for the starter and one for the backup. Otherwise, he was a bad, dare I say Sanchezesque, QB. When you add in the fact that having him as a backup QB would inevitably lead to problems with fans calling for him to play, it would be a nightmare.

So he was a bad starting option at QB and a problematic backup QB who only found success running one particular kind of offense that defenses eventually adjusted to. That's not going to earn him a job anywhere.
Everything you say is accurate, but I think the last statement is less certain. There are absolutely backup QBs on NFL rosters that are every bit as limited as Kaep.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
He doesn’t seem to have any real interest in playing football
What are you basing that on? It's not like he's turning down invites or going the full-Manziel.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Everything you say is accurate, but I think the last statement is less certain. There are absolutely backup QBs on NFL rosters that are every bit as limited as Kaep.
Skill wise, certainly. But outside of guys like Lamar Jackson, Taysom Hill, or maybe Mason Rudolph, who are clearly the future hope for their franchise's, there's not many read/option QBs left. RGIII, gone. Tebow, gone. Vince Young, gone. There are players who have shown the ability to adapt (Cam Newton. Joe Webb. Andy Dalton), but Kaepernick showed, st least to me, that he couldn't.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Being limited is not the same thing as being a read/option QB. Also, RGIII played this week. definitely not gone.

Kaep isn't more limited than Kizer. Or Landry Jones, or EJ Manuel, or Josh Johnson, or Ryan Mallett, or Geno Smith.....all guys who were getting paid to be QBs and/or got multiple workouts this season.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Also, RGIII played this week. definitely not gone.
I think the statement intended to convey that RGIII was gone with respect to being available to the Redskins.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:32 AM

Gruden has said they’re not going with Kaepernick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...lin-kaepernick

He mentioned a point that was made in this thread:

“Had this been Week 1, maybe he would probably be a greater possibility but since it's week 13 with four games to go, in order to really utilize somebody like Colin Kapernick's skillset, you're talking about a whole new group of formations and run concepts and all that good stuff," Gruden explained. "It's just very difficult."

So basically they’d have to redo their offense for him to fit, and they just can’t possibly do that right now.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:46 AM

So, they're going to sign some guy off the street who is going to know more and fit in better? Kaepernick's thing was improvisation. He'd drop back to pass, not find someone, and manufacture a run out of whatever situation he happened to be in during that play.

Gruden is full of shit.

Guys who have beat up women, abused steroids and other drugs, and caused big locker room problems get 2nd and 3rd chances. Kaepernick is never going to play again despite never having done any of those things. As they say, "Do the math."

Last edited by Jasmine; 12-05-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:16 PM

Well, the kind of funny thing is, you know who the QB was in San Francisco that Kaepernick took over for mid-season back in 2012? Yeah, it was Alex Smith, the QB who started the season as Washington's starting QB. I don't recall if San Fran had to revamp their entire offense at the time.

But, maybe that was just because Kap was new and now that teams know his game things are different. Now you have to design around his skill. I kind of get it. But they signed Josh Johnson. Who? This dude hasn't taken an NFL snap in 4 years. I guess at least he's continued to play in the UFL, but still a weird signing.

Has Kaepernick entertained offers from other leagues, UFL, CFL, arena?
Old 12-05-2018, 04:10 PM

I’m good with whatever sinks Washington.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I think the statement intended to convey that RGIII was gone with respect to being available to the Redskins.
He can clarify, but why would he put that in a series with Tebow and VY if that's the case?
Old 12-05-2018, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
I'm curious if they are going to rename the Mike McCarthy Show (it has been named for the current coach in the past) I guess it doesn't take that long to change the title graphic.
For those not familiar it is a half hour show "reviews and previews games this week, is joined by a special Packers guest and a question and answer session with the fans"

Brian
Answer, the show is now "Total Packers"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Larry M
Welcome to Total Packers which replaces the Mike McCarthy Show for obvious reasons
Brian
Old 12-05-2018, 09:03 PM

Random unrelated thought: Does anyone else feel that quarterbacks faking a slide (thus forcing defenders to refrain from hitting them) but then in fact continuing to gain yardage is unfairly exploiting the QB-protecting rules?
Old 12-05-2018, 09:37 PM

Yes, absolutely. That shit not only needs to be spotted at the right place, but penalized if it's egregious. QBs start slowing down and look like they're going to slide, the defender slows down, then the QB speeds up and gets a few extra steps. I hate watching that shit.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Yes, absolutely. That shit not only needs to be spotted at the right place, but penalized if it's egregious. QBs start slowing down and look like they're going to slide, the defender slows down, then the QB speeds up and gets a few extra steps. I hate watching that shit.
Yeah, me too. I feel like the NFL should make some kind of an effort to internally within the league (to avoid scrutiny) put the message out there that a QB running the football is a runner, and therefore is awarded zero "extra protection" than an actual RB would expect to receive.

For now, it is technically tackle football. For now.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Random unrelated thought: Does anyone else feel that quarterbacks faking a slide (thus forcing defenders to refrain from hitting them) but then in fact continuing to gain yardage is unfairly exploiting the QB-protecting rules?
My suggestion is that every time the QB does this, the defense is allowed one “freebie” where the next “roughing the passer” infraction carries no penalty.

I’m curious how often they’d pull that stunt then.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Yeah, me too. I feel like the NFL should make some kind of an effort to internally within the league (to avoid scrutiny) put the message out there that a QB running the football is a runner, and therefore is awarded zero "extra protection" than an actual RB would expect to receive.

For now, it is technically tackle football. For now.
Yeah I have never fully understood why QBs needed special protection when running the ball. The logic seems to be that QBs like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are physically dainty and fragile whereas a prototypical RB like Adrian Peterson or LeSean McCoy is made of tough stuff.

If so, sounds like it might be based off of some kind of subconscious racial stereotyping given that most QBs are white and most RBs are black.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, that should be flagged as unsportsmanlike conduct.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah I have never fully understood why QBs needed special protection when running the ball. The logic seems to be that QBs like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are physically dainty and fragile whereas a prototypical RB like Adrian Peterson or LeSean McCoy is made of tough stuff.

If so, sounds like it might be based off of some kind of subconscious racial stereotyping given that most QBs are white and most RBs are black.
You’re overthinking it way too much. It’s far simpler.

Owners invest a lot of money into their QBs. Owners also happen to be the ones who vote on and approve rules devised by the Competition Committee. So, rules protect QBs.

No racism or thought about what makes a QB physically different from other players, it’s purely about money as is everything in the NFL.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Absolutely, much I like I think the fake fair catch is BS. Rules in place for player safety should not be exploited.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:15 AM

QB’s wear lighter shoulder pads, for an unencumbered throwing motion, that may have something to do with the extra protection rules.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:29 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
QB’s wear lighter shoulder pads, for an unencumbered throwing motion, that may have something to do with the extra protection rules.
True, but I don't believe that's the primary reason. A team's starting QB is frequently the highest-paid player on the team, and an injury to him is nearly always devastating to his team's chances to win. They've instituted these rules to protect that investment, and to discourage defensive players from trying to get in unnecessary / cheap shots at the QB.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

More directly, the fans pay to see the star QB, not the cheap-shotting backup linebacker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Yes, that should be flagged as unsportsmanlike conduct.
Or just down at the spot.

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 12-06-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:09 PM

Quarterbacks dont have special protection when actually runners. Running backs, wide receivers, or even the trick lineman can all give themselves up by sliding feet first and receive the same protection. Quarterbacks just use it more often given the impact they have on the game outside of running.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Absolutely, much I like I think the fake fair catch is BS. Rules in place for player safety should not be exploited.
The fake fair catch (technically invalid fair catch signal) is a 5-yard penalty and dead ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Or just down at the spot.
Absolutely not. It must be a penalty. Anything short of that creates an incentive to try it. If the ball is just down, then QBs have nothing to lose by trying it often and can benefit when a given Ref misses the call.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:17 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
The fake fair catch (technically invalid fair catch signal) is a 5-yard penalty and dead ball.
I think he may be referring to a "fake fair catch" play that occurred in a college game early this season. The returner never made a fair catch signal; the "fake" was that he caught the ball nonchalantly, and stood there for a full second or so after catching it, which led the coverage men to apparently assume that it had been a fair catch (and that they had not seen the signal).

Once the coverage men relaxed and began to leave the field, the returner then began to run, and scored a TD on the play.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 12-06-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I think he may be referring to a "fake fair catch" play that occurred in a college game early this season. The returner never made a fair catch signal; the "fake" was that he caught the ball nonchalantly, and stood there for a full second or so after catching it, which led the coverage men to apparently assume that it had been a fair catch (and that they had not seen the signal).

Once the coverage men relaxed and began to leave the field, the returner then began to run, and scored a TD on the play.
Trickery is part of football. Hence fake handoffs or pump fakes. What gets people riled up is when rules intended to enforce safety are exploited by the people those rules are meant to protect. Imagine a QB who always lowers his head when he recognizes an incoming sack, to force the defender to touch the helmet and draw a “roughing the passer” penalty. A loss of down and yards is magically turned into a 15 yard gain an new set of downs.

The “make football safer” movement is already a sensitive subject for those who feel that the game is losing its appeal when players are limited in how physical they can be. Now those problems are exacerbated by folks taking advantage of them. Cheating and getting away with it.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:14 PM

Watching TNF, it’s hard to believe the Jaguars were almost in the Super Bowl last year.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

The Pack is doing a little better than last week [conspiracy theory]they lost last week on purpose, and now are actually trying[/conspiracy theory]

Brian
Old 12-09-2018, 03:48 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
The Pack is doing a little better than last week [conspiracy theory]they lost last week on purpose, and now are actually trying[/conspiracy theory]
Well, somebody sure woke up Clay Matthews today.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Brian
My personal conspiracy theory is that the Falcons suck.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:13 PM

Holy shit, Miami is behind the whole game, has like 80 yards to go with a few seconds on the clock, and actually pulls off a successful play with laterals after the clock hit 0 and won.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Holy shit, Miami is behind the whole game, has like 80 yards to go with a few seconds on the clock, and actually pulls off a successful play with laterals after the clock hit 0 and won.
Just watched the play on the NFL website. Wow!

Couldn't have happened to a nicer team. A New England loss is always fun, and when it happens like this it's especially gratifying.

On a Fantasy note, I have the New England Defense, and I was very happy that there was no need for the Dolphins to kick the PAT, because that would have taken them to 35 and cost me 5 points.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:53 PM

Saints finally pulled it together after a terrible game last week and a terrible first half this week. And they clinch the NFC South -- the first time they've had back-to-back division crowns.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:56 PM

Why was Gronk playing safety on that miracle play? Were they worried about a hail mary from the 31 yard line?
Old 12-09-2018, 05:01 PM

Chiefs 1# seed!
Old 12-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

One word: Fu-u-u-c-k-k!!!!
Old 12-09-2018, 06:41 PM

Colts won; Browns won; Patriots lost.

"Oh, what a day! What a lovely day!"
Old 12-09-2018, 07:18 PM

The refs are acting like Jerry Jones bribed them in Dallas.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Colts won; Browns won; Patriots lost.

"Oh, what a day! What a lovely day!"
And the Raiders. Nothing is more satisfying than to see the Steelers choke on their own steeliness.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:52 PM

What a day! Cowboys, Dolphins, Browns, Raiders, Giants and Chiefs all win.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:01 PM

My team went from 4-1 to utter garbage seemingly in the blink of an eye.