Old 12-16-2018, 05:08 PM

An excellent OT showing by the Knights to kind of make up for a lame slo-mo OT goal loss the other day! Good job, everyone!

And hey, Lundqvist is freaking awesome. My buddy and I were talking early about the two old man goalies kicking ass and then later they flashed their ages onscreen and we had both been wrong about Lundqvist's age (he was 2 years older than I thought).

Anyway, loved watching him play. He's quick as hell, he fills up the net like I like and he's quick (like Fleury!) in realizing when he's been had! His reactions are great because they come so quick after he gets beat; he's really not often behind the curve like that and you can see it bothers him (like it bothers all great goalies, natch).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I often wonder what kind of number he would have put up if he played back in the 1980s. He'd probably be closing in on 1000 goals.
Hoodoo-boy he'da dominated. They'd have had to pass a rule that he and Gretzky couldn't even be in the same conference, let alone on the same team.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

How the Hell does a scorching hot Washington Capitals team lose to the pathetic Pittsburgh Penguins??
Old 12-20-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
How the Hell does a scorching hot Washington Capitals team lose to the pathetic Pittsburgh Penguins??
Pathetic? We may be in a slump right now, but I would NOT call us pathetic.

And Washington STILL defends that thug, Tom Wilson. If Pittsburgh had done so for Matt Cooke, there would've been riots! (And rightly so!)
Old 12-22-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
And Washington STILL defends that thug, Tom Wilson. If Pittsburgh had done so for Matt Cooke, there would've been riots! (And rightly so!)
I'm still watching this like 4 times a day.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Thanks for the link!

One of the biggest mistakes Jim Rutherford did was trading Reaves. (I so wish Gary Roberts was still playing. He'd have knocked Wilson flat)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 12-22-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
An excellent OT showing by the Knights to kind of make up for a lame slo-mo OT goal loss the other day! Good job, everyone!

And hey, Lundqvist is freaking awesome. My buddy and I were talking early about the two old man goalies kicking ass and then later they flashed their ages onscreen and we had both been wrong about Lundqvist's age (he was 2 years older than I thought).

Anyway, loved watching him play. He's quick as hell, he fills up the net like I like and he's quick (like Fleury!) in realizing when he's been had! His reactions are great because they come so quick after he gets beat; he's really not often behind the curve like that and you can see it bothers him (like it bothers all great goalies, natch).
Hoodoo-boy he'da dominated. They'd have had to pass a rule that he and Gretzky couldn't even be in the same conference, let alone on the same team.
Lundqvist is awesome. 'Old man' my butt!

I like how he fills up the net too. And he is "only" 6'1"! He's actually one of the shorter NHL goalies right now: https://gooddeedseats.com/all-starting-nhl-goalie-heights/
Old 12-25-2018, 10:22 PM

The scuttlebutt as related by Blue Elk is that Corey Crawford is done.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 12-25-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:49 PM

After 2/3 of the way through the season, the Leafs are in second place overall.

Not too shabby.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
After 2/3 of the way through the season, the Leafs are in second place overall.

Not too shabby.
More like 45% of the way through. They've played 37 of 82 games.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:39 AM

I know NHL rules aren't necessarily designed to make sense, but this occurrence stumped me.

Near the end of a period (I think it was during last night's Flyers-Lightning game), a delayed penalty was called on the Flyers. The Lightning had the puck, denied the Flyers control, circled in and scored. Since the penalty never actually started, you'd think the Lightning would then get two minutes of extra-man play. Nope, both teams were then back at full strength.

Is there some logical reason behind this, other than the offending team just gave up a goal and we don't want to punish them now?
Old 12-28-2018, 09:52 AM

That's just the way the rule works. The team that isn't getting the penalty gets to pull their goalie for an extra attacker, and if they score it nullifies the delayed penalty.

It's been that way as long as I remember. I think you're right though, it does seem unfair to get scored upon and then be expected to kill a penalty with a good possibility of getting scored upon again.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:20 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Is there some logical reason behind this, other than the offending team just gave up a goal and we don't want to punish them now?
I have to admit that this was unclear for me. The wikipedia for hockey penalties says
Quote:
In the NHL, if the non-offending team scores a goal in a delayed penalty situation, then it is treated as if a goal was scored during that penalty. Thus, if the delayed penalty is a minor, the penalty is waved off. If the delayed penalty is a double-minor, only the first two-minute block is waved off, and the offending player must still serve the second time block.
So, yeah it seems that giving up the goal is considered enough of a penalty.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

That Wiki quote doesn't quite explain it right. When a team is down a man and commits a penalty, if the other team scores during the delayed penalty, not only is the penalty waived off, but the man in the penalty box is also allowed to return ending the ongoing power play

If the goal were scored during the second penalty and before the first expired, only the first man in the penalty box would be allowed out. At least that's the way it used to be. I assume it still is.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
That Wiki quote doesn't quite explain it right.
Not sure if I saw any problem with that explanation, myself.

Quote:
When a team is down a man and commits a penalty, if the other team scores during the delayed penalty, not only is the penalty waived off, but the man in the penalty box is also allowed to return ending the ongoing power play.
Really? Both penalties are immediately nullified in that instance? Huh, guess I never witnessed such a situation, to begin with, oddly, and way too lazy right now to check out (slow-loading) nhl.com rulebook to double check that.

Quote:
If the goal were scored during the second penalty and before the first expired, only the first man in the penalty box would be allowed out. At least that's the way it used to be. I assume it still is.
Me too.

Also not seeing much difference between playing shorthanded during a delayed penalty and playing shorthanded during a penalty kill - the offending team is still at a disadvantage in both those situations, so if the non-offending team scores during the delayed penalty, it would make perfect sense to me that the delayed penalty would get waved off - the penalty has been served by being scored on.

------------

Yup - gotta go on another Pettersson kick again - he's just too insane to not deserve the constant encomiums (heh - encomia?) coming his way.
As the Canucks went into Calgary last night and beat the division-leading Flames, that wimpy little Swede put on another fine show, potting yet another one of his already patented surgical strike goals where the puck immediately pops in and out from a top corner - he's scored too many goals exactly like that, already, to dismiss it as anything other than absurd, consistent skill. Pundits and goalies alike are discovering his very unique way of stealthily shifting his rather slight frame just before he shoots; averting his eyes from the target to further deceive the goalie; and, finally, what is becoming regarded as one of the finest releases in the league, whether it's a snap-, wrist-, or slap-shot, taking away further reaction time from the goalie.
Unfortunately, he looks like he has the narrowest set of shoulders in the NHL, making him look almost waif-like out there - a feast for a Lucic or Reaves or Matt Martin or basically most NHL'ers, so, it was reassuring last night, then, when he registered three hits, went right back in Dhillon Dube's face after he got shoved around, and took Sam Bennet's number after he tried to take out Elias's knee, mid-ice.
Yup - ya gotta build that piss'n vinegar, kid.

Was hoping to post a video of it (but not not be found) - Pettersson's incredible defensive play last night in overtime, where Edler was caught up-ice, leaving EP to deal with a two-on-one, which he miraculously broke up sprawling on the ice and then whipping his stick around behind him to block the pass. Quite pretty.

(goalie Jakob Markstrom's Dec. was his best month ever, and is currently 7-1-0 with a 1.63 goals against average and .943 save percentage in his past eight games)
Old 12-30-2018, 03:22 PM

Missed edit window: Forgot to mention a whack-load of crazy stats - I'll just go with two for now - EP has the best scoring percentage in the NHL at 27%, and is behind only Kucharov in points on the road.
Heh - strange - whenever I see him and Boesser on the bench, they always appear to be bickering.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:04 PM

Greeeaaaat, Bryan Rust is injured. Just when he's on a hot streak.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:48 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Okay, here is another thing that I have never seen before. At the World Junior Championships, Switzerland was playing Russia. With the game tied 3-3 late in the second period, a Swiss player was awarded two penalty shots on the same play. Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro who were calling the game, and have lots of hockey experience, were dumbfounded at the way things played out.

Bottom line: The Swiss missed both penalty shots and ended up losing the game.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Rumors that the 2020 Winter Classic will be in Dallas. I assume the Wild would be the opponent. It’s certainly time for a shake up, there’s absolutely no buzz about the upcoming Blackhawks/Bruins game at Notre Dame. Of course the Hawks aren’t good and they’ve already had so many outdoor games.

https://twitter.com/jsportsnet/statu...931835904?s=21
Old 12-31-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Okay, here is another thing that I have never seen before. At the World Junior Championships, Switzerland was playing Russia. With the game tied 3-3 late in the second period, a Swiss player was awarded two penalty shots on the same play. Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro who were calling the game, and have lots of hockey experience, were dumbfounded at the way things played out.

Bottom line: The Swiss missed both penalty shots and ended up losing the game.
In 50 years of watching hockey, I have never seen this, nor did I think it was possible.