Old 12-05-2018, 02:44 PM

Anyone playing Keyforge?

It's a new game by the creator of Magic (and other games) Richard Garfield. It is a card game but the difference is you don't get individual cards but rather you buy decks. Each deck is unique and you don't (actually you can't) change them. They are designed to be balanced but in the event they aren't there is an optional handicap mechanic

I play Magic but find I have less and less time for deck building so this idea of just getting decks and playing is intriguing to me. The game looks fun. Has anyone played it?
Old 12-05-2018, 04:16 PM

That’s how Shadowfist is. It’s a card game similar to Magic (you place site cards, defend them with characters, attack your opponents’ sites and characters) but you buy decks that represent a faction in a war. All prebuilt. It works fine, it’s more of a traditional card game since the “collectible” part is missing but it’s not a totally new concept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowfist
Old 12-14-2018, 06:51 PM

A friend of mine bought a few decks. I haven't played it yet, but I'll report back when I do.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

A friend of mine bought the starter plus a couple of additional decks, and we happened to play last night. It was a lot simpler than Magic, I think. Not at all difficult to pick up and learn.

Interestingly, the amount of combat seemed to depend on the nature of both your deck and your opponents, so different match-ups would play out differently in that regard. The faction mechanic added an interesting twist, and it felt like it made your decisions about what to play when more meaningful.

All things told, we both enjoyed playing it; the game seems pretty easy to get in to. The fact that the decks are non-customizable makes the barrier for entry pretty low, IMO.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:00 AM

So I got the Starter set and played a couple games with the starter decks (the set comes with two starter decks everyone gets and two random ones).

The game is fun. I liked it even though I lost both games. It felt to me one of the decks was more straight forward with playing lots of creatures while the other was more complicated to pilot since it relies a lot on stealing aether (the resource that wins the game).

One thing I noticed is playing Magic has spoiled me a little because I am familiar with the cards and abilities. The game goes much slower when you have to read every card on both sides of the board. In that vein I think the cards could have been designed a little better for readability. I felt like the text was very small and I had to pick up the cards to read them ( but then again I don't have the greatest eyesight).

That aside, I enjoyed it and hope to play again with the random decks that the set contained.

Last edited by Quimby; 12-18-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

I looked into this a few days ago as a gift idea, based on the recommendation of a hardcore gaming cow-orker as being the "hot thing".

Indeed; most places I visited online were sold out, and the places that did have inventory were selling packs at double MSRP.

I plan on checking it out after the new year.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza View Post
I looked into this a few days ago as a gift idea, based on the recommendation of a hardcore gaming cow-orker as being the "hot thing".

Indeed; most places I visited online were sold out, and the places that did have inventory were selling packs at double MSRP.

I plan on checking it out after the new year.
FWIW you only need to buy someone two decks. The starter pack contains tokens to represent the Keys, Damage and Aember but you don't need to have those things to play.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 AM

Sort of bumping this to see if anyone else is playing. I have played it several times since getting the Starter set. I like it and I am interested enough to maybe buy more decks to play with some different Houses but the game does seem to have one big issue:

I find in most (but not all) games, the person who gets ahead stays ahead. There is a lot of back and forth in the early game but once someone gets ahead by a key or two it is very hard to catch up. It could be a function of the decks i have played with an against but I have also seen this in a games I watched on YouTube. Is this anyone else's experience if you are playing?
Old 01-16-2019, 03:08 PM

I am very interested in starting playing, but i am unsure on how fun it would be to play with the wife and the kids, i have a feeling it's more of a gamers game.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalito View Post
I am very interested in starting playing, but i am unsure on how fun it would be to play with the wife and the kids, i have a feeling it's more of a gamers game.
My son and I played for the first time a week and a half or so ago. It's actually very approachable, and a hell of a lot of fun.

It's only 1 v 1, however... unlike Magic, I can't really conceive of a way to play it with more than 2 players per go.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:57 PM

I think it could work as a family game. But yes it's 1 v 1. However if you buy the starter set you get 4 decks (two starter decks and two Randomized ones) so you can each play a game at the same time in two separate games if you have 4 people.