Old 12-17-2018, 06:47 PM

Marvel: Legendary

Any1 else play this game? Love it myself and im really pumped for the next expansion.. Venom Gotta love the guy!

I liked the Secret Wars expansions best so far..
Old 12-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Reported as spam.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:22 AM

huh, why?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:29 AM

I’m sorry carnalito but I am suspicious too. If you just wanted to talk about the game, why did you link to a small gaming web site that’s less than a month old and not an established one? It really looks like you’re trying to promote your own site. I doubt you just happened to run across that site by accident.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:33 AM

Ah, i can see what you mean. Want me to remove the link or link it to some other website? A bigger one?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
I'll take the OP at his word that he wasn't intending to spam. Let's let this thread continue about the game itself.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:48 AM

Yes, I love the game and was not aware of the upcoming expansion, so I am excited!
Old 12-18-2018, 11:03 AM

You had me at Venom...what is this game?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Marvel Legendary is what's called a "deck-building game." It's a non-collectible card game (meaning that, unlike a game like Pokemon or Magic: the Gathering, you don't buy packs of random cards). In such a game, you start out with a fairly generic / weak deck, and, as you gain successes over the course of the game, you add more powerful cards to your deck.

When you buy such a game, you get a stock set of cards. Expansions for the game add additional, pre-determined sets of cards.

Here's a review of it on Board Game Geek.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:20 PM

My apologies. I didnt see any news regarding this anyware else, i got it from twitter. And kenobi 65 nailed it

kenobi, have you played it ?
Old 12-18-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
You had me at Venom...what is this game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Marvel Legendary is what's called a "deck-building game." It's a non-collectible card game (meaning that, unlike a game like Pokemon or Magic: the Gathering, you don't buy packs of random cards). In such a game, you start out with a fairly generic / weak deck, and, as you gain successes over the course of the game, you add more powerful cards to your deck.

When you buy such a game, you get a stock set of cards. Expansions for the game add additional, pre-determined sets of cards.

Here's a review of it on Board Game Geek.
Kenobi hits it on the head. It's a solid semi co-op deck builder. (Semi co-op in that you can lose together, but the winner is determined by the highest score.) It's one of the board games my wife really likes, so it sees regular play. (I like any board game I can get her to play.) I stopped adding sets around Secret Wars, but I'll probably pick another one or two up after Christmas. Some of the sets are great (Dark City, which is all around great), and some are underwhelming (Paint the Town Red, which is okay on its own but does not combine with other sets well because of one of the mechanics associated with Spider-Man).

The Legendary system has been implemented for other universes. I like the Alien version a bit more, which is fully co-op in the core rules. The art is also a bit more gruesome, which I feel should be mentioned since the Marvel version is all-ages friendly.

Finally, deck builders are a genre of card/board game where players start with weak decks. Players can then buy better cards from a pool of available cards. The better cards go into the deck, making it better and able to get better cards/earn more points. In Legendary, there is also a villain deck, which is built before the game, which contains the enemies, the mastermind's plot, innocent bystanders, etc.... The heroes are essentially playing against the villain deck. You get to pick the heroes, villains, and evil plots during the game setup, so you could do with an almost-true-to-the-comics setup (e.g. Professor X, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Wolverine, and Angel vs Magneto, the Brotherhood, Sentinels, and the Four Horsemen), or you could build randomly/for interesting mechanical interactions (e.g. Deadpool, The Thing, Spider Gwen, Groot, and Black Cat vs Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars, Carnage, and Maggia Goons).
Old 12-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalito View Post
kenobi, have you played it ?
I have not. A friend of mine (whose gaming tastes run far deeper into complex games than mine do, and who truly enjoys developing his own rules mastery in any game he plays) has played it, and enjoys it. But, he also has the Alien version of it, as well as the similar DC deck-building game (which I have played).

I used to play (and was halfway decent at) Magic, but that was 20 years ago. I'd much rather play a rules-light RPG, or cooperative board game, these days. I know just enough about deck-building games to be dangerous.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
Oh, and I fixed the typo in the title, now that it's been pointed out to me. I just figured that "legend art" was actually the game's name.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I have not. A friend of mine (whose gaming tastes run far deeper into complex games than mine do, and who truly enjoys developing his own rules mastery in any game he plays) has played it, and enjoys it. But, he also has the Alien version of it, as well as the similar DC deck-building game (which I have played).

I used to play (and was halfway decent at) Magic, but that was 20 years ago. I'd much rather play a rules-light RPG, or cooperative board game, these days. I know just enough about deck-building games to be dangerous.
Yeah i have been wanting to try Marvel Legendary: Aliens for quite some time now, havent gotten around to do it tho. I think there's a Predator version out and a James Bond one on the way =)