Old 02-06-2019, 02:29 AM

Just as we're complaining about how stale Cicada has become but Grace's possible involvement makes him more interesting, we get an episode with just Cicada. Sigh. At least we got to see Iris in action as a reporter, although she might want to leave word with someone about where she's going before entering a dangerous situation. In her defense, she was following a lead and didn't expect to encounter the Big Bad himself.

Meanwhile Barry and Ralph go off chasing a red herring. How did they manage to take out an entire hive full of bad guys, just the two of them? I don't think Barry has had any firearms training, even.

Funny bit with the revelation that Sherloque has married Irene Adler multiple times in various universes. He seems easily distracted.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Meanwhile Barry and Ralph go off chasing a red herring. How did they manage to take out an entire hive full of bad guys, just the two of them? I don't think Barry has had any firearms training, even.
It seemed as if Barry was channeling Oliver Queen, to a certain extent. Maybe he still has some instincts left over from being the Green Arrow, briefly.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:36 PM

There was at least one explicit callback to the crossover that I've been made aware of. Sherloque asked Superman to give his wife on Earth-38 his alimony payment. Here Ms. Adler-38 reveals that she did get some money from Superman.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:17 PM

Iris - stabs cicada with a pen (the mighty journalist) - has him down - and scours at him "we're going to beat you" - before running away.

Seriously? YOU JUST DID - stab him a couple more times - call in the rest of the crew - and put the guy away - or atleast something more than just that....

Barry - "see - even without powers we can win" - Iris - yeah - I just took down Cicada with my PEN!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Iris - stabs cicada with a pen (the mighty journalist) - has him down - and scours at him "we're going to beat you" - before running away.

Seriously? YOU JUST DID - stab him a couple more times - call in the rest of the crew - and put the guy away - or atleast something more than just that....

Barry - "see - even without powers we can win" - Iris - yeah - I just took down Cicada with my PEN!
Issue Iris with some metacuffs. Sure, she's not likely to need them - but if she does need them, she'll need them bad!
Old 02-07-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
That whole episode was so stupid.
Ralph: "We'd better be careful in this underground black weapons market. Don't do or say anything suspicious."
Barry: (turns around) "I DEMAND YOU SELL ME ALL YOUR COP-KILLER GUNS! ALL OF THEM! NOW!"

And, yeah, pretty dumb for Iris not to realize chasing down a lead on Cicada might put her face-to-face with Cicada.

It's no wonder Nora makes terrible decisions all the time. It's in her genes!

On a different note, when Barry and Caitlin were talking about using the meta "cure" on Cicada, I was expecting her to object but she seemed totally on board. Cisco (who was absent here) had agreed with Killer Frost that the meta cure would not be forced on anyone. I guess Caitlin didn't get the memo? Seems like something her alter-ego would have considered important enough to share.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:33 AM

S0514: Cause and XS

Cause and XS promo: https://youtu.be/OnFtrGCKSjM

IRIS'S LIFE IS THREATENED - After Iris lands in serious danger, Nora races to save her mother. Barry puts the finishing touches on the metahuman cure, leaving Cisco with a rare night off so he decides to take Kamilla (guest star Victoria Park) on a date.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:28 AM

Nora demonstrates that she's just a chip off the old speedster block by demonstrating that (a) she can mess up the timeline again and again and again and (b) she let Cicada go again. Barry used the coffee cup example he learned from Jay Garrick. I don't think Nora really took it to heart.

I thought Kamilla would become Iris's first hire at her "paper" but she turned out to be just someone Cisco had asked out. Disappointing.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:21 PM

Telling the truth shouldn't be the last resort for Nora (and Barry, and all the rest). If messing with the timeline is that dangerous, but circumstances are serious enough that it must be tried, getting the whole group onboard is vital so that the problem can be fixed after one or two rewrites of history, not 50-some.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:05 PM

and here again, our hapless crew has Cicada defeated - they even have time for a "told ya so" moment - and they let him go, again.

I'm beginning to think they just aren't very good at all of this super heroing stuff.

That being said - I enjoyed this episode alot - I am a sucker for a good groundhog day theme when done right - we even got a shoutout to the legends - and happy death day 2u is this weekend.

Last edited by simster; 02-13-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Telling the truth shouldn't be the last resort for Nora (and Barry, and all the rest). If messing with the timeline is that dangerous, but circumstances are serious enough that it must be tried, getting the whole group onboard is vital so that the problem can be fixed after one or two rewrites of history, not 50-some.
Since she's getting advice from Eobard Thawne, I'm not surprised that she tried to fix history on her own. That's essentially what Thawne did, repeatedly going back and trying to fix things he thought were broken, that his own personal timeline looks like spaghetti. I'm sure he appreciates having a student, especially as she's his arch-enemy's daughter.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Since she's getting advice from Eobard Thawne, I'm not surprised that she tried to fix history on her own. That's essentially what Thawne did, repeatedly going back and trying to fix things he thought were broken, that his own personal timeline looks like spaghetti. I'm sure he appreciates having a student, especially as she's his arch-enemy's daughter.
Good point Terminus Est. That is probably Thawne's influence, combined with general teenage "I can do anything, I don't need anyone's help". Imagine if people on superhero shows actually made intelligent decisions. We'd have BBC length seasons - 6 episodes and done, see ya soon!
Old 02-15-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
It occurs to me that Thawne might be the root cause of a lot of Team Flash's problems. He was a mentor to Cisco and Caitlin for several years, and Barry for the better part of a year, and even after they learned he was evil, the lessons that they learned while working for him (and deeply admiring him) probably have stuck.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:04 AM

Rumor has it that Carlos Valdes thinks five seasons is enough for him, so we may be saying adios to Cisco.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:20 AM

What surprised me was that this episode didn't end with a reveal that something was different. I thought that the final scene would be Grace's eyes opening dramatically.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
It occurs to me that Thawne might be the root cause of a lot of Team Flash's problems. He was a mentor to Cisco and Caitlin for several years, and Barry for the better part of a year, and even after they learned he was evil, the lessons that they learned while working for him (and deeply admiring him) probably have stuck.
He's the Reverse Flash. Of course he's the root cause of a lot of their problems. He'll always be a thorn in Barry's side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
Rumor has it that Carlos Valdes thinks five seasons is enough for him, so we may be saying adios to Cisco.
First I've heard of this. He's been with Team Flash since before the Flash ever came into existence. He and Caitlin were introduced in an episode of Arrow before The Flash premiered. His leaving would be the end of an era. If he really does leave I hope he at least comes back for "Crisis on Infinite Earths".
Old 02-15-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
He's the Reverse Flash. Of course he's the root cause of a lot of their problems. He'll always be a thorn in Barry's side.
Usually, though, you think of the villain causing problems for the heroes by attacking them (or attacking people they love) - I'm talking about Thawne causing problems by modeling sub-optimal behavior over the long term, while acting as an apparent mentor.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Usually, though, you think of the villain causing problems for the heroes by attacking them (or attacking people they love) - I'm talking about Thawne causing problems by modeling sub-optimal behavior over the long term, while acting as an apparent mentor.
That's pretty much what he did in Season 1 and doing so now with Nora, which is why he's the Flash's greatest villain.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm finally caught up -

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Good point Terminus Est. That is probably Thawne's influence, combined with general teenage "I can do anything, I don't need anyone's help".
But she's not a teenager. She's supposed to be in her mid-to-late-20s with a graduate degree and a responsible job!

I don't know if I can't stand the character (the "bad mommy" scene was the latest thing I hated*) or I can't stand the actress (the baby voice and mugging) or the combination of the two. But she's really just awful. I am very much looking forward to her getting off my screen and going back to her own timeline where she can annoy people 30 years in the future.

And they need a plan to deal with Cicada other than throwing quips at him.

*Also, the Flash writers have highly different standards for parenting than I do. When they showed what Iris did in the "bad timeline." I couldn't actually tell what the issue was. As far as I could tell that was not inappropriate parenting and not at all something that anyone should feel bad about possibly doing in the future (nor should any kid be traumatized by that scene).
Old 03-05-2019, 06:20 AM

S0515: King Shark vs Gorilla Grodd

King Shark vs Gorilla Grodd promo: https://youtu.be/2T__3ZsBIyQ

THE ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN - When Gorilla Grodd (voiced by David Sobolov) attacks Central City, Barry and Team Flash find themselves teaming up with an unexpected ally to defeat - King Shark (voiced by David Hayter). However, when they hit a snag, they bring in Dr. Tanya Lamden (guest star Zibby Allen) to try to reach the man behind the shark, Shay Lamden (guest star Dan Payne).
Old 03-05-2019, 06:29 AM

Doesn't Gorilla Grodd vs. King Shark sound like a short battle - it seems like Dr. Doom versus the Kingpin to me. Shark/Kingpin are dangerous people who can threaten a city; Doom/Grodd are the "take over a country on the way to taking over the world" kind of folks.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:12 AM

Joe West is back and walking. Hooray! He got some quality father-daughter time to boot. You can always trust Joe to say exactly the right thing. He also apparently got some quality time with Wally in Tibet.

This episode was a great return to comic-book form. The science was predictably silly, plus Barry got sucker punched by Grodd, Vibe, and Killer Frost. That was all mitigated by the fight between Grodd and King Shark, which was as awesome as it was hyped up to be. The effects artists really pulled out all the stops.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:00 PM

I loved this line from Caitlin " Don't sharks have electroreceptor organs called ampullae of Lorenzini? It's how they detect electromagnetic fields, right?" but was disappointed that no one replied "Of course. That's one of the main things I know!"
Old 03-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Joe West is back and walking. Hooray! He got some quality father-daughter time to boot. You can always trust Joe to say exactly the right thing. He also apparently got some quality time with Wally in Tibet.
I know they had to lampshade his return while Jesse Martin recovered, but they made it seem like he went on a walkabout leaving his wife to handle their newborn by herself. But it was OK because he had 'her blessing'. Any man who's ever been married knows what that really means 99% of the time.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I know they had to lampshade his return while Jesse Martin recovered, but they made it seem like he went on a walkabout leaving his wife to handle their newborn by herself. But it was OK because he had 'her blessing'. Any man who's ever been married knows what that really means 99% of the time.
Cecile had a line that Joe had been on crying duty all this time so it was her turn now. We're supposed to infer that Joe took the baby with him to meet her brother.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:09 AM

S0516: Failure is an Orphan

Failure is an Orphan promo: https://youtu.be/YQx5gJSOheY

THE META-CURE IS READY TO USE ON CICADA - With the meta-human cure ready to use, Barry and Team Flash must figure out a way to subdue Cicada long enough to take it. Killer Frost steps in to help with the plan. Meanwhile, Joe eases back into work, and Nora isn't happy about the way her dad plans to stop Cicada.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:20 PM

SPOILER:

The New Cicada - Grace from the future, or a mental projection of Grace from the present (a version of the mental image we already saw a few episodes back? I'm hoping for the second option.

On the bright side, she doesn't have the power-dampening ability, so that's good.

Last edited by Andy L; 03-12-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:37 AM

So no one else, not even the great detective Sherloque Wells, was able to make the connection between Dwyer, Grace, and the doctor? It took Joe coming back from Tibet for Team Flash to finally make that final link.

I think Grace is creating a mental projection of her adult self as Cicada. It doesn't make sense for a time-traveling future Cicada to come back. Else, why wait for the moment her uncle got the cure to come back? A future Cicada could have just prevented that in the first place.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:14 AM

S0517: Time Bomb

Time Bomb promo: https://youtu.be/7O5wmINyGL4

NORA DECIDES TO TELL BARRY AND IRIS THE TRUTH ABOUT THAWNE - Team Flash finds out that a suburban mom named Vickie Bolen (guest star Catherine Lough Haggquist) is in danger and they race to save her. Upon meeting her, they discover she's a meta-human who is hiding her abilities from her family. Barry encourages Vickie to share her secret with her family, which makes Nora realize she needs to come clean with her parents about Thawne.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:36 AM

So female Cicada (Shecada?) really is future Grace. I am vaguely disappointed. I was hoping we wouldn't be having more time traveling shenanigans. I guess it all ties in with Eobard and Nora also being from the future. I do like how Sarah Carter portrays adult Grace. She's more menacing and much more intelligent than her uncle.

I was right about Cisco's girlfriend joining Iris at her nascent newspaper. I hope Cisco's hang-up about his superheroes doesn't stop her from sticking around.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I was hoping we wouldn't be having more time traveling shenanigans.
You're watching the wrong show.

Didn't the time sphere require a speedster to power it? So did Thawne send her back or someone else?
Old 04-04-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
You're watching the wrong show.

Didn't the time sphere require a speedster to power it? So did Thawne send her back or someone else?
Nora is a speedster; she can power it herself. Why she needs it, though, is a mystery.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Nora is a speedster; she can power it herself. Why she needs it, though, is a mystery.
I thought Grace used the timesphere, not Nora. So who sent Grace back?
Old 04-05-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I thought Grace used the timesphere, not Nora. So who sent Grace back?
Oh that's right. Assuming it wasn't Reverse Flash then the most likely culprit is Nora. Although Eobard seemed confused by the timeline changing. Maybe there's another speedster in play?
Old 04-16-2019, 08:56 AM

S0518: Godspeed

Godspeed promo: https://youtu.be/tIl1oNaPly8
Inside Godspeed: https://youtu.be/fd_5FUI3Li8

DANIELLE PANABAKER DIRECTS - After discovering that Nora is working with Thawne, Barry and Iris disagree about how to handle their daughter in the wake of this shocking news. Team Flash isn't sure they can trust Nora, so they go through her journal to find out exactly how she came to work alongside their greatest nemesis.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:05 AM

What are we calling this? It mostly took place in the future, so it conventionally would be a flash forward. But it was basically Nora's origin story, taking place in her past, so it should be a flash back.

Great episode with lots of interesting callbacks and Easter eggs. Like the first time Nora ran at speed, she ran right into a laundry truck, just as Barry did when he first got his speed. There was also Ollins Labs (Firestorm), Stagg Industries (Metamorpho), and the Tracy Brand building at Mercury Labs.

So Barry ran Nora back to the future and grounded her. But isn't that where Thawne is incarcerated? Way to drive your daughter back into the hands of the enemy, Barry. Better to keep her close at hand, don't you think?
Old 04-17-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
So Barry ran Nora back to the future and grounded her. But isn't that where Thawne is incarcerated? Way to drive your daughter back into the hands of the enemy, Barry. Better to keep her close at hand, don't you think?
Impulsive decisions are a Allen family tradition.

Did Wellobard sound a bit more like Sherloque than he should have? It seemed so to me.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:08 AM

S0519: Snow Pack

Snow Pack promo: https://youtu.be/96Ru6NC7KAU
Inside Snow Pack: https://youtu.be/XGAJGzJPcts

ICICLE RETURNS - When Icicle (guest star Kyle Secor) returns to enact the next phase of his devious plan, Caitlin and her mother, Dr. Carla Tannhauser (guest star Susan Walters), must resolve their long-combative relationship to defeat the icy monster. After Barry makes a big decision about their family without consulting her, Iris decides to take matters into her own hands.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
We finally got the answer to your question. Thawne back in Season 1 just needed Barry to create a breach and the sphere could move through the time stream on its own. With an alternative means of creating a breach, which Team Flash (and presumably Grace) now has, a speedster isn't required at all. Now the question is, how did Iris and Ralph get back from 2049? From what I could tell they didn't bring the breach gun with them to the future.

The argument between Barry and Iris was some great writing. They both made some valid points and they knew each other well enough to push each other's buttons. Barry was still in the wrong, though, for acting unilaterally.

After Danielle's debut outing as a director, we get an episode centered on Killer Frost and family. Too bad they didn't schedule her for this week, but it's probably too much to ask a first-time director to direct herself for so many scenes. Incidentally I thought she did a good job directing the last episode. The Icicle vs Killer Frost battle was pretty cool, with the double ice slides.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Anyone surprised when the solution turned white? No? Didn't think so.

Brian
Old 04-30-2019, 09:50 AM

S0520: Gone Rogue

Gone Rogue promo: https://youtu.be/JXO3nEFLT9E

WEATHER WITCH, QUEEN BEE AND RAG DOLL RETURN TO CENTRAL CITY - Barry continues to struggle with how he feels about Nora's betrayal. Brie Larvan (guest star Emily Kinney), Joss Jackam (guest star Reina Hardesty) and Peter Merkel (guest star Troy James) return to Central City. Meanwhile, Cisco makes a bold decision.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:40 AM

When the episode synopsis said that Cisco would make a "bold decision", I was afraid that he would take the meta cure, give up being Vibe, and resign from S.T.A.R. Labs and Team Flash. But that didn't happen. I don't recall Cisco making any sort of "bold decision". What was it supposed to be, anyway?

I knew we'd be seeing Weather Witch again, but what happened to her supposed redemption arc? Abandoning Silver Ghost in Bolivia? Turning on Nora after she saved her in the first place? The writers are just pulling this out of their collective asses now, aren't they?

I was rather enjoying Nora being a Young Rogue, but then they turned on her. That's okay, though. It was never her intention to work with them for long. See my above comment about the writers and their asses.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:48 AM

I forgot: The best part of the episode was when Ralph dropped the "Shecada" epithet. Vindication!
Old 05-01-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I knew we'd be seeing Weather Witch again, but what happened to her supposed redemption arc? Abandoning Silver Ghost in Bolivia? Turning on Nora after she saved her in the first place? The writers are just pulling this out of their collective asses now, aren't they?
...that really annoyed me in a way that a TV show hadn't annoyed me in a long while. Nora broke/entered/destroyed and stole property, ordered the kidnapping/detention and threatened two people, stood happily by as her minions knocked out a bunch of people (and even if they were the "good guys" in disguise, that shouldn't matter) and Weather Witch, Bug-Eyed Bandit and Rag Doll get thrown in jail, but Nora gets to walk away free?

That's super-hero-dad privilege. Nora should be rotting in jail with the other 3. No wonder Weather Witch decided it wasn't worth it to "be good." I'm with her.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:41 PM

Not to mention threatening Cisco with the old "vibrating hand through the heart" trick. Sure, it was just a threat, but Cisco didn't know that. I wouldn't have blamed him if he had quit right there.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:53 AM

S0521: The Girl With The Red Lightning

The Girl With The Red Lightning promo: https://youtu.be/tc41XEBW53Y

CICADA II MAKES HER MOVE - Team Flash is on high alert after Cicada II (guest star Sarah Carter) threatens to unleash a dangerous virus that would put all meta-humans at risk.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:05 AM

And so Thawne's plan is finally revealed. Destroy the dagger in the present, which means his future jailers can't use it to dampen his powers. It was Ralph, of all people, who figured it out. Ralph, who was so slow on the uptake that he only figured out time travel and the multiverse at the start of this season. Why couldn't Team Flash take a moment to listen to him, rather than charging blindly ahead, like they keep telling Nora not to do.

Now did this really require an entire season worth of exposition? This could have been the mid season cliffhanger, and the back half of the season could have been Team Flash battling a revived Reverse Flash, which everyone wants to see anyway. Instead, we're treated to Team Flash letting escape OG-Cicada and then Shecada, over and over, like ineffectual idiots.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:27 AM

I don't know if Ralph would've been fast enough to grab the dagger out of the air (or the mirror gun out of Flash's hand) in time, but he should've tried. I mean, stretching is his thing, after all.

Also: I wonder if Mirror Master will show up some way related to the Mirror Gun? Maybe the Mirror Master from Earth 2?

Wonder what Earth Renee Adler is on? Sherloque's? Might be interesting if she goes to Earth 38--Supergirl could use some help. (Probably not though, because there would have been a Crossover trailer.)
Old 05-08-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
And so Thawne's plan is finally revealed. Destroy the dagger in the present, which means his future jailers can't use it to dampen his powers. It was Ralph, of all people, who figured it out. Ralph, who was so slow on the uptake that he only figured out time travel and the multiverse at the start of this season. Why couldn't Team Flash take a moment to listen to him, rather than charging blindly ahead, like they keep telling Nora not to do.

Now did this really require an entire season worth of exposition? This could have been the mid season cliffhanger, and the back half of the season could have been Team Flash battling a revived Reverse Flash, which everyone wants to see anyway. Instead, we're treated to Team Flash letting escape OG-Cicada and then Shecada, over and over, like ineffectual idiots.
Agree. I'm actually pleased to see Ralph turning into a competent detective that Ralph Dibney really should be. Another groaner of a moment: Nora uses the dangerous technique of mind-to-mind contact to learn that SheCada is going exactly where anyone would guess she's going - to CCPD where all the metas are congregating (I actually liked the inside-the-mind confrontation, but what Nora learned (other than about herself) just wasn't worth it). Was stunned at how lost the usually hyper-competent Joe was, too (I'll put it down to worry about his wife (a meta), sons (both meta) and granddaughter (likewise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post

Wonder what Earth Renee Adler is on? Sherloque's? Might be interesting if she goes to Earth 38--Supergirl could use some help. (Probably not though, because there would have been a Crossover trailer.)
Sherloque said he was sending her to his world.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Was stunned at how lost the usually hyper-competent Joe was, too (I'll put it down to worry about his wife (a meta), sons (both meta) and granddaughter (likewise).
God, yes. Joe West was the last person I thought would need a hallway pep talk.