Old 02-11-2018, 06:50 PM

Star Trek Discovery Season One Finale (Week of 2/11/18)

Tonight is the finale...
Old 02-12-2018, 09:12 AM

I'm calling it now: Transplanted Georgiou will next pop up as head of the Orion Syndicate.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:27 AM

Green. Orion. Slave. Butt.

So that happened.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:30 AM

Enjoyed this episode. It had some gratuitous sex and profanity but it felt like a Trek adventure with a Trek moral at the center. I know a lot of people dislike the show but after a muddled pilot episode it won me over this season. Very curios to see who they get for a new captain.

I also found it interesting that when they showed Pike's Enterprise they updated the look of the ship whereas when the Trek shows of the 90s showed the 60s Enterprise they used then modern techniques to replicate the look of the 60s model, specifically the smooth surfaces and lack of details.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:09 AM

I have to admit that the end to the war seemed a bit sudden, perplexing, and a tad too neat and convenient, for me.

While other fans were saying that they did not like how dark this iteration of Star Trek was, the "about face" in and with Burnham's Starfleet idealism seemed jarring to me. Burnham's speech to the Assembly did not reach me, dramatically or emotionally, for some reason.

But overall, I very much enjoyed this season. (The production values seem top notch, too me.)
Old 02-12-2018, 12:07 PM

I hated Star Trek Discovery at the beginning of the season but it has quickly grown on me. I think the grittier tone and moral ambiguity of its protagonists works for the new show and is more satisfying, at least for me.

The above stated, I did not at all like how the end of the episode fell back onto old Trekkian tropes. Burnham's speech was classic Star Trek glurge, adherence to which would help to destroy a real-world Federation over time. Georgiou was prepared to kill Burnham 3 episodes ago but suddenly sentimentality prevents it? I found it unbelievable for the Klingon/Federation conflict to be wrapped up so cleanly/quickly. And L'rell meekly accepting a command to lead her people by a human and her sickly pathetic "But...I am no one" were both awkwardly uncomfortable.

Last edited by Onomatopoeia; 02-12-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:24 PM

And why the fuck would the Klingon fleet listen to L'Rell being that close to 'ultimate victory' and earth? And why was there no fleet/defenses from earth side? So now, the Klingon's will just all go back to their side of the line and give up the territory they took?

It fell flat - no real drama, although Tilly's "I'm really high right now, but you need to listen to me" was worth it.

And I have to admit a little excitement as they teased the Enterprise, and Captain Pike.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:59 PM

I loved the use of the original theme at the end during the credits. Forgot to mention that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
I hated Star Trek Discovery at the beginning of the season but it has quickly grown on me. I think the grittier tone and moral ambiguity of its protagonists works for the new show and is more satisfying, at least for me.

The above stated, I did not at all like how the end of the episode fell back onto old Trekkian tropes. Burnham's speech was classic Star Trek glurge, adherence to which would help to destroy a real-world Federation over time. Georgiou was prepared to kill Burnham 3 episodes ago but suddenly sentimentality prevents it? I found it unbelievable for the Klingon/Federation conflict to be wrapped up so cleanly/quickly. And L'rell meekly accepting a command to lead her people by a human and her sickly pathetic "But...I am no one" were both awkwardly uncomfortable.
I don't mean this in a mean or nasty way but if you don't like the hopeful optimistic take on our future, what is it you like about Star Trek?

Also I submit you are wrong about a real Federation being impossible. In the sense that people can be better than they are now. I believe that is possible. Difficult and maybe even unlikely perhaps, but possible.

I do agree the end of the war seemed very neat and tidy but I think they kind of wrote themselves into a corner there.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:05 PM

Between Ash, Philippa and Tilly, the one I found least trustworthy was Tilly. Not the away crew I would've picked!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:08 AM

I'm still trying to figure out if it's a good thing or a bad thing they didn't end with a reset. Maybe they're saving it for the series finale.

Clint Howard and "You were asleep. I'm Orion" was pretty funny though. Too bad it was the best part of the episode.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
While other fans were saying that they did not like how dark this iteration of Star Trek was, the "about face" in and with Burnham's Starfleet idealism seemed jarring to me. Burnham's speech to the Assembly did not reach me, dramatically or emotionally, for some reason.
By making Burham the clear main character, the showrunners seemed to want to make a character-based show instead of the usual ensemble plot-based shows of the past. But then they went ahead with a main character-focused plot-based show. We only truly got the full explanation for how and who killed Burnham's parents in the season finale, which is the one backstory that would have somewhat put into context her emotions overwhelming her (well, if it had been written that way) in the pilot episode which led her to mutiny.

Burnham's journey of redemption was built on a false premise - she already believed in Federation/Starfleet ideals, she just thought that the principle of non-violence and diplomacy won't work as a starting point to maintain peace with the Klingons since they viewed it as weakness. And in the end, they used a variation of this idea to have L'Rell threaten the rest of the Klingons into peace and unity since they were able to make this pitch from a "position of strength" with a bomb ready to go off. The very first scene from the pilot showed her belief in the tradional ideals by helping the alien race facing the drought and showing compassion.

It seems like the real starting point of the "needs redemption" arc should have been her unilaterally scrubbing the mission to capture T'Kuvma alive by executing him rather than the mutiny. But all of the other characters and the show itself only focused on the mutiny and never mentioning her killed T'Kuvma, which clearly didn't help start the war, since the Klingons were already planning on attacking the Federation once some agreement could be obtained from the other houses.

Last edited by ganthet; 02-13-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:24 AM

Weird ep. Very strange pacing. It almost feels like they edited down two or even three episodes into one. Considering the series' chaotic production, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
I'm still trying to figure out if it's a good thing or a bad thing they didn't end with a reset. Maybe they're saving it for the series finale.
But it was a 'reset' button - just not a timey-wimey one - they reset the klingon war and 'unification' back to the premeir episode state - just alot of redshirts in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
Clint Howard and "You were asleep. I'm Orion" was pretty funny though. Too bad it was the best part of the episode.
agreed.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganthet View Post
By making Burham the clear main character, the showrunners seemed to want to make a character-based show instead of the usual ensemble plot-based shows of the past. But then they went ahead with a main character-focused plot-based show.
I can't point out Burnham's "ah HAH!" moment. Characters who are on a journey of self discovery (willingly or not) usually have an epiphany based on the experiences they have while the plot unfolds, and we the audience can then understand the characters better.

What changed Burnham? What made her decide to rigidly adhere to the idealistic Federation values, at the risk of the very Federation itself? Was it her exposure to the Terran Empire, Terran Captain Lorka, and/or Empress Georgiou, and how they behaved culturally?

I hate how I sometimes need to be hit with a clue-by-four in order to understand movie/TV plot & characters.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
Between Ash, Philippa and Tilly, the one I found least trustworthy was Tilly. Not the away crew I would've picked!
Maybe Georgiou thought that Cadet Tilly would be too timid to open the equipment case on her own. She's naïve & inexperienced, and would follow orders without question (or introspection).

PS: I think Georgiou was the one who conceived and planned this altered mission, and she presented her modified plan to Admiral Cromwell and Sarek, going over Saru's head.

Last edited by mlees; 02-13-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:19 PM

"Uh, so basically let's forget all of this season ever happened. Here, let's celebrate! Also, fanservice!"

I wonder if the spore drive is ever mentioned again... And I wonder whether it's not the best idea not to.

And yeah, this episode felt horribly disjointed---as if the 'attack on Qo'Nos' bit was merged with an entirely different 'get intel from space pirates' episode in some freak transporter accident. I have a hard time believing that humans spotted on the Klingon home world during a war would really be invited for games and chat, particularly with these Klingons.

Anyway, I'll just hope they do something interesting with the basically clean slate they have now next season.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
"Uh, so basically let's forget all of this season ever happened. Here, let's celebrate! Also, fanservice!"

I wonder if the spore drive is ever mentioned again... And I wonder whether it's not the best idea not to.

And yeah, this episode felt horribly disjointed---as if the 'attack on Qo'Nos' bit was merged with an entirely different 'get intel from space pirates' episode in some freak transporter accident. I have a hard time believing that humans spotted on the Klingon home world during a war would really be invited for games and chat, particularly with these Klingons.

Anyway, I'll just hope they do something interesting with the basically clean slate they have now next season.

I'm suspicious of clean slates. I like to see some continuity with what went before. I was excited about this series going in, and Lorca was certainly interesting, but to me, the series really seemed to drag toward the midseries finale.i didn't like the new look for the Klingons, the bridge was on the underside of the saucer section, everything seemed literally too dark, and though there were more female characters on the bridge, none spoke any lines and I still don't know their names. Unlike the Orville, which played like classic Trek.

The second half was more promising, culminating with the death of Lorca (did not see that coming), but I didn't understand how they would for one second trust Mirror Giorgiou. They also trusted Ash/Voq way too much in my opinion, especially after learning who he really is. I'm not convinced that the storytelling really got that much better by the end, or if it was just an improvement, and I don't why Burnham doesn't yet know she has a little brother named Spock. This takes place only ten years before TOS after all; Spock would at least have to be a teenager by now.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
I'm suspicious of clean slates. I like to see some continuity with what went before. I was excited about this series going in, and Lorca was certainly interesting, but to me, the series really seemed to drag toward the midseries finale.i didn't like the new look for the Klingons, the bridge was on the underside of the saucer section, everything seemed literally too dark, and though there were more female characters on the bridge, none spoke any lines and I still don't know their names. Unlike the Orville, which played like classic Trek.

The second half was more promising, culminating with the death of Lorca (did not see that coming), but I didn't understand how they would for one second trust Mirror Giorgiou. They also trusted Ash/Voq way too much in my opinion, especially after learning who he really is. I'm not convinced that the storytelling really got that much better by the end, or if it was just an improvement, and I don't why Burnham doesn't yet know she has a little brother named Spock. This takes place only ten years before TOS after all; Spock would at least have to be a teenager by now.
(bolding mine)

Burnham absolutely knows about Spock - as he is the reason that Burnham was not sent to the vulcan science acadamy - Sarek had to make a choice as to which of his 'experiments' would get to go. This was covered in one of the first half of the season episodes - I think the one where Sarek was injured on the shuttle.

Last edited by simster; 02-13-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:27 PM

Spock has been mentioned on the show. And IIRC, he was mentioned about serving on the Enterprise. Which is why--I assume--Mikey and Sarak reacted to the name.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
But it was a 'reset' button - just not a timey-wimey one - they reset the klingon war and 'unification' back to the premeir episode state - just alot of redshirts in between.
I'm more or less referring to a big picture time travel one, but really just whatever will do the job to better connect this past with what we know about the future.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:04 AM

I honestly have no idea what's supposed to be so morally repugnant about wiping out a race that's attempting to wipe you out. That's clear cut self defense and basically every human society that has ever existed would think the idea of being unwilling to kill someone trying to kill you as bizarre. I don't even understand why this is supposed to be some high ideal. Sure, if you have some alternative to wipe out the threat with less damage, take it - but we're talking about kill or be killed. The lesson here is that the truly noble people would go out willingly, with a whimper, instead of doing everything they could to save themselves?

They didn't have to paint themselves into that corner by making the stakes so high. Maybe we could've had an actual moral dilemma based around the idea that the klingons were winning the war, but posed no threat of wiping out humanity and the rest of the federation - then you could have a moral question of "is it worth it to wipe them all out if it ends a war that's hurting us but doesn't pose an existential threat?" but the imagery that started this episode was a klingon fleet coming to wipe out Earth. I had no idea the whole time why we were supposed to take Burnham's side and to think this plan against the Klingon homeworld was so unthinkably evil.

So obviously the big speech about federation values was not some sort of righteous, glorious moment.

The show misses Lorca. He was the only one taking the whole damn war seriously. It's funny - in Trek you apparently need a secretly evil mirror universe guy to be able to look at war rationally, because Our Heroes are too far up their own asses patting themselves on the back about being too good to do anything about it (and actively trying to prevent others who were doing something about it) while Earth is minutes from being destroyed.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:42 AM

Enjoyed the series overall, had problems with the spore drive, Ok with the mirror universe, dubious about mirror Philippa being put in charge of anything, and the entire last episode was a bit of a mess. I've had to go online to understand better the entire Ash/Voq thing, but I think I'm there now. Just have to quickly hand wave the overlay of the original Ash Tyler persona on Voq's massively operated on body
Old 02-14-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I honestly have no idea what's supposed to be so morally repugnant about wiping out a race that's attempting to wipe you out.
In my opinion, you are expressing what appears to be real-world practicality, if expressed in blunt terms.

But some folks (as appears to be expressed by Quimby, for example) want their entertainment to be uplifting, positive, optimistic.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:18 AM

Can anyone tell me where the 'real' Lorca is? Thanks

MiM
Old 02-14-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Macau View Post
Can anyone tell me where the 'real' Lorca is? Thanks

MiM
He sleeps with the space whales - died when his ship and his mirror counterparts were under attack and 'swapped' places. Mirror Lorca managed to survive.

It's unclear to me if the ships swapped or just Lorca - Lorca was likely transporting via one of those 'emergency transporter' things.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
He sleeps with the space whales - died when his ship and his mirror counterparts were under attack and 'swapped' places. Mirror Lorca managed to survive.

It's unclear to me if the ships swapped or just Lorca - Lorca was likely transporting via one of those 'emergency transporter' things.
Don't be so sure. They're only speculating that he's dead, since "no Starfleet officer could have survived that universe alone"--and there's a bit of a clue in that Mirror!Georgiou still seemed to believe that her Lorca was on the run, whereas if he'd been definitely killed with the Mirror!Buran (that is, if Prime Lorca had gone down with the ship with everyone thinking it was Mirror Lorca), she'd probably have said so. Plus, there's the Never Found A Body Syndrome.

And...spoiler ahead for new novel Drastic Measures, which takes place ten years before the series and focuses on Prime Lorca and his involvement in the Tarsus IV massacre...

SPOILER:
...a "post credits scene" (really, it's a scene after the author's acknowledgments!) confirms that he's alive and in a holding cell in the Mirror Universe. Now, I know that in the past, Trek novels haven't been held to be canon, but the author of this one has said that he's been working with the cooperation of the DSC writers' room. So I don't think they'd have let him put that in there if they didn't plan for it to be true. (Plus, Michael's story about her parents' deaths, mentioned in the first DSC novel published months ago, was confirmed in this ep.) Whether they're going to build on it remains to be seen, but I'd be surprised if they didn't.

I think maybe that's why they haven't confirmed who the new captain is going to be--they want to leave it open in case they can persuade Jason, who's well-liked by fans. In interviews in the past few weeks, Jason's said in one breath that he's done, and in another that we shouldn't believe anything he says about his future on the show, that he'd return if there was a good story for Prime Lorca, and that it's still a secret that he's been keeping even from his wife and kids.
Turn the world around.
--Harry Belafonte (with the Muppets)

Last edited by Hermione; 02-14-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
Don't be so sure. They're only speculating that he's dead, since "no Starfleet officer could have survived that universe alone"--and there's a bit of a clue in that Mirror!Georgiou still seemed to believe that her Lorca was on the run, whereas if he'd been definitely killed with the Mirror!Buran (that is, if Prime Lorca had gone down with the ship with everyone thinking it was Mirror Lorca), she'd probably have said so. Plus, there's the Never Found A Body Syndrome.

And...spoiler ahead for new novel Drastic Measures, which takes place ten years before the series and focuses on Prime Lorca and his involvement in the Tarsus IV massacre...

SPOILER:
...a "post credits scene" (really, it's a scene after the author's acknowledgments!) confirms that he's alive and in a holding cell in the Mirror Universe. Now, I know that in the past, Trek novels haven't been held to be canon, but the author of this one has said that he's been working with the cooperation of the DSC writers' room. So I don't think they'd have let him put that in there if they didn't plan for it to be true. (Plus, Michael's story about her parents' deaths, mentioned in the first DSC novel published months ago, was confirmed in this ep.) Whether they're going to build on it remains to be seen, but I'd be surprised if they didn't.

I think maybe that's why they haven't confirmed who the new captain is going to be--they want to leave it open in case they can persuade Jason, who's well-liked by fans. In interviews in the past few weeks, Jason's said in one breath that he's done, and in another that we shouldn't believe anything he says about his future on the show, that he'd return if there was a good story for Prime Lorca, and that it's still a secret that he's been keeping even from his wife and kids.
Fake news! The klingon's paid for that dossier!

ok - I should have stated that 'in show' - everything else you've said sounds "interesting".

Last edited by simster; 02-14-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I can't point out Burnham's "ah HAH!" moment. Characters who are on a journey of self discovery (willingly or not) usually have an epiphany based on the experiences they have while the plot unfolds, and we the audience can then understand the characters better.

What changed Burnham? What made her decide to rigidly adhere to the idealistic Federation values, at the risk of the very Federation itself?
I'm not sure there was any epiphany or character change. We started out with Burnham advocating firing on the Klingons as a form of pre-emptive self-defense that could create a more lasting peace (since she didn't seem to want a war herself) because she believed Klingons only made peace when confronted with strength. We ended with Burnham willing to utilize a genocidal weapon of mass destruction, belatedly and indirectly through L'Rell, to achieve peace because she believed (and L'Rell confirmed) that Klingons only made peace when confronted with strength.

This was why this is one of the many reasons this didn't feel like a character-based show. There was no real character arc. Burnham didn't really change.

Last edited by ganthet; 02-14-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure there was any epiphany or character change. We started out with Burnham advocating firing on the Klingons as a form of pre-emptive self-defense that could create a more lasting peace (since she didn't seem to want a war herself) because she believed Klingons only made peace when confronted with strength. We ended with Burnham willing to utilize a genocidal weapon of mass destruction, belatedly and indirectly through L'Rell, to achieve peace because she believed (and L'Rell confirmed) that Klingons only made peace when confronted with strength.

This was why this is one of the many reasons this didn't feel like a character-based show. There was no real character arc. Burnham didn't really change.
yup- and she led a mutiny in the final episode as well - she just got other chars to follow her.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
In interviews in the past few weeks, Jason's said in one breath that he's done, and in another that we shouldn't believe anything he says about his future on the show, that he'd return if there was a good story for Prime Lorca, and that it's still a secret that he's been keeping even from his wife and kids.
Sounds like Mirror Jason Isaacs.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
...though there were more female characters on the bridge, none spoke any lines and I still don't know their names.
Sure you do! There's Headgear Shirley Manson, Lady Daft Punk, Other Black Woman, and, uh...Mulva?

Quote:
Unlike the Orville, which played like classic Trek.
I fully expected this to flop, but I've really enjoyed it. It has more of the spirit of Next Generation Trek, which I miss.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egnu Cledge View Post
Sure you do! There's Headgear Shirley Manson, Lady Daft Punk, Other Black Woman, and, uh...Mulva?

I fully expected this to flop, but I've really enjoyed it. It has more of the spirit of Next Generation Trek, which I miss.

Mulva! Or was it Delores?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Green. Orion. Slave. Butt.

So that happened.
Don't forget about the two penis guy. That happened too!

I have to admit, I was yelling at my TV screen when Burnham started in with her "We can't blow up the planet" BS. But I'm happy with the way it ended.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Don't forget about the two penis guy. That happened too!
Okay, I missed that one.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
And we're meant to buy that? Half of the series was someone telling someone else - you thought they were dead, but here they are anyway.

MiM
Old 02-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Thanks for giving me something to mull over until season 2. Dammit.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
In my opinion, you are expressing what appears to be real-world practicality, if expressed in blunt terms.

But some folks (as appears to be expressed by Quimby, for example) want their entertainment to be uplifting, positive, optimistic.
I approve this message . The idea that we can be better than we are right now is why I love Trek so much.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:00 AM

I've been thinking about the state of the Federation at the end of this season as it compares to TOS and if you squint it kind of works.

Star Fleet in Discovery was more like TNG. It felt big, expansive, and a wide variety of ships. TOS Star Fleet was much smaller. There were only 13 Constitution Class Star ships. A vicious war a decade earlier could explain that.

Also the Federation was much more wild west in TOS. A post war recovery could explain that too. I definitely isn't a perfect fit but t does kind of work.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I honestly have no idea what's supposed to be so morally repugnant about wiping out a race that's attempting to wipe you out. That's clear cut self defense and basically every human society that has ever existed would think the idea of being unwilling to kill someone trying to kill you as bizarre. I don't even understand why this is supposed to be some high ideal. Sure, if you have some alternative to wipe out the threat with less damage, take it - but we're talking about kill or be killed. The lesson here is that the truly noble people would go out willingly, with a whimper, instead of doing everything they could to save themselves?
Hear, hear. I have been reading reviews and comments on various sites, and your comment is the first I’ve read in this vein. I was starting to wonder if I was some kind of psychopath or something, but as you say: if it’s in defense of an existential threat, you do what you have to. Note that when BSG confronted a very similar question,
SPOILER:
the civilian president and top military brass were unhesitatingly in favor of doing it.

Still, a pretty good episode. I would consider the final two episodes of the season among only four or five episodes total that I would praise that much. I don’t think there were any episodes that were actually outstanding, but at least ten of them ranged from “shaky” to just plain bad. So it’s an encouraging sign.

One thing I find amazing about the status quo as we find it at the end of the season is that there are (unless I’m totally blanking out on someone) no characters who are straight white males. Zero. By “characters” I mean people who at least occasionally say a line of dialogue, not extras seen in the background. And there is only one white guy at all, Stamets (who is of course gay).

This radical state of affairs was effectively obscured for most of the season by the fact that the captain of the ship was a straight white male. But then he was revealed to be an evil Terran and stand-in for Trump, who subsequently died and was therefore absent for the final two episodes. All this on CBS, the most “red state” of networks! Stunning.