Old 04-10-2020, 05:21 AM

How do you enable the free streaming from HBO-Go and Hulu? (not referring to free trials)

I am seeing various announcements that HBO and Hulu are offering free streaming for April due to this virus thing we are going through.

It seems, though, they are playing hide-and-seek with links to enable the streaming.

I do see the usual Free Trial offers online and within the apps, but those are for just 7 days and, I think, roll over into a regular subscription.

Has anyone here actually signed up for the (new) free streaming?

If so I'd love to hear where you found the method to enable it.

I do have the Hulu and HBO-Go apps on my TV and elsewhere.

Thanks!

mmm

ETA: Whoops, maybe this belongs in GQ

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 04-10-2020 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

You open the app. It will ask for a login. If you don't have one, there's a button to sign up. You select that and enter your information - create a user name and password and set up billing.

Once set you log on and choose what you want to see.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 04-10-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:55 AM

Thanks, Chuck.

Looks like you can only use it on an iPhone or iPad, not on a TV.

Does this sound correct?

mmm
Old 04-10-2020, 07:04 AM

It sounds like they're using the same setup/login process as always .. their billing dept. just won't charge you, during this month.

So it should work on your TV too, the same way. However you'd normally set that up. (You may have to create the account on your phone or tablet, in order to get it going on your TV.)

They may ask for your credit card info anyway, and if you don't cancel, just auto-bill you in May.

Just a guess, but that is the standard procedure for offers like these.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:15 AM

I opened up Hulu like normal on my laptop, and looking through categories noticed the Sopranos. I didn't have to sign up or log in to anything special. I searched HBO and saw other mostly tv shows that were old as hell and nobody watches anymore available. I didn't really see many movies, um gee thanks HBO? You've outdone yourself. Idk maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't think so because the Sopranos worked.

Last edited by pool; 04-10-2020 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Thanks, Chuck.

Does this sound correct?

mmm
Or an Android phone. The free content is only available on iOS or Android.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I didn't really see many movies, um gee thanks HBO? You've outdone yourself. Idk maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't think so because the Sopranos worked.
https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...ch-1234570139/

Quote:
The free #StayHomeBoxOffice programming — served up without any ads — includes every episode of nine HBO series: “The Sopranos,” “Veep,” “Succession,” “Six Feet Under,” “The Wire,” “Ballers,” “Barry,” “Silicon Valley” and “True Blood.” Also available to watch without an HBO subscription are 20 movies from corporate sibling Warner Bros. and 10 HBO documentaries and docuseries.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Thanks, Chuck.

Does this sound correct?

mmm
You'll need either a smart TV with the channels installed. or one that uses a Roku box. You would need to buy the box. They're about $30 for a basic one.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I opened up Hulu like normal on my laptop, and looking through categories noticed the Sopranos. I didn't have to sign up or log in to anything special. I searched HBO and saw other mostly tv shows that were old as hell and nobody watches anymore available. I didn't really see many movies, um gee thanks HBO? You've outdone yourself. Idk maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't think so because the Sopranos worked.
Did you really think they'd give away currently showing programs for free? What they are offering are some of their best, highest rated programs. So if you've never seen The Sopranos or The Wire, here's an opportunity to see them for free and see what all the buzz was about. And Succession and Barry are current, highly rated shows that are between seasons. So perhaps seeing the previous seasons will tempt you to subscribe for the new season.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Did you really think they'd give away currently showing programs for free? What they are offering are some of their best, highest rated programs. So if you've never seen The Sopranos or The Wire, here's an opportunity to see them for free and see what all the buzz was about. And Succession and Barry are current, highly rated shows that are between seasons. So perhaps seeing the previous seasons will tempt you to subscribe for the new season.
No, but honestly I thought they might have some cool movies, didn't really see any though. Of course if they had offered some more recent series they would probably have more people move over to their pay service if they give them a taste and got them hooked. Do they offer trials like Netflix or Hulu?
Old 04-10-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Succession isn't recent? Barry isn't recent? Veep and Silicon Valley just ended quite recently.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
You'll need either a smart TV with the channels installed. or one that uses a Roku box. You would need to buy the box. They're about $30 for a basic one.
I have a Firestick, through which I stream YouTube TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney +.

BTW, I said HBO-Go in the OP when I think what I meant was HBO Now.

Hulu and the History Channel app ask for which cable provider I have an account with so they can set it up. They list options such as ATT-Uverse and several others.

Problem is, I don't have one. I get everything, as mentioned, through the Firestick.

Am I SOL because of that?

mmm