Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2019, 04:33 PM

Movin' cross country. No local friends, little money, tiny car.

Gonna either be the worst or the best decision of my life. Probably the former, but I'm a touch pessimistic.

My current job (may I keep it despite current troubles) is a WFH gig but the co. only allows workers in certain cities/regions. I absolutely suck at job hunting and would rather lick Satan's asshole, so I'm going with that limitation. Otherwise, the sky's the limit.

Oh, and so is my bank account. I'm not in debt anymore, thanks and praises be, but I have negligible savings.

I've got very few friends locally anymore, and have decided to finally join the flight out of this sun-baked godforsaken hellhole. Not really, the DFW area is lovely .. but there are vast swaths of the city that make me weep, just driving through, because after 6 years of The Other Shoe's death the loss is still a gaping, oozing wound.

Also my parents are in the area, and my parents-in-law, and I'd rather avoid them all. I'm not that antisocial of a bitch, I swear, but my mother is a toxic cunt, and Other Shoe's parents kicked me out of the house we rented from them a month after he died, and I'd just rather not run into them, yanno?

Finally, I hate the climate. It's miserably hot and muggy outside today. First week of October; I have been told other people are wearing long pants, or even sweaters, which sounds crazy. Shoveling snow, I hear tell. But here, the friggin' AC compressor hasn't shut off all day yet.

Only reason I still dragged myself through existence here was my boyfriend. My I.T. Guy. But we've had problems for a while, they're not getting better and in fact are getting worse, and I'm slowly accepting that it's over between us. There's just too much resentment and toxic pettiness, by now. All respect and affection seem irretrievably gone.

So imma gtf outta here. Somehow.

But the only feasible destination within employment boundaries is Portland OR. Which means hauling what's left of my shit, plus my pets, across the Rockies. Alone. I have a tiny Honda Fit, and I love that little thing but it ain't hauling a U-haul trailer.

I dunno why I'm posting. Advice, maybe? Slap across the face about the stupidity of this idea? Anecdotes about success or failure in similar circumstances? I'll take whatever suggestions y'all have.

But - sing it with me! - we gotta get out of this place
If it's the last thing we ever do
We gotta get out of this place
Girl, there's a better life, for me and you...