Old 06-10-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I'm trying to say that money laundering is one of a number of corrupt practices which are adjacent to each other. The more money involved, the stranger any transaction, and the more lies around it, the more we need answers.

Explain how donald knows Dmitry Rybolovlev.
You have not explained how there is any appearance of money laundering. Other than Trump flipped a property at a profit and he knows Dmitry Rybolovlev. My guess Trump had a property to sell Dmitry Rybolovlev wanted to buy the property. And you are turning these facts into a crime?

2 years ago I sold a property in Las Vegas to someone I never met by your standard that makes me a criminal and a dictator.

Last edited by Snnipe 70E; 06-10-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:46 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
In the case of russian oligarchs, what is their motive for these transactions? What is it accomplishing in terms of financial and legal aims?
All we can do is speculate. What would the oligarch get out of it? I don't think much, however Putin has the oligarchs on a leash and he has supposedly worked with Trump for years according to Christopher Steele (Steele claims that Trump has spied on powerful Russians in the US and given that info to Putin).

Steele said that Trump didn't take up sweetheart deals that the Russians offered him FWIW.

But I really don't know what an oligarch gets out of paying 2x more for a home. Generally the person laundering the money is the one that buys something cheap and sells it more expensively. Not the person who buys it expensively.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Just for interest, Kentucky governor Matt Bevin is currently involved in a similar situation:
http://www.courier-journal.com/story...ome/348419001/

Long story short: Bevin just bought a house in a swank neighborhood of Louisville from a political supporter of his for $1.6 million, even though the PVA valued it at $2.57 million. Said supporter was also recently appointed to the board of the KY retirement system, a position of some influence since it controls a very large fund.

Now there are plenty of reasons why a house might sell for that much less than its assessed value. But that's also why this would be a pretty effective way to bribe someone who didn't care about the appearance of impropriety, since actually proving that as the motive would be nearly impossible.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
All we can do is speculate. What would the oligarch get out of it? I don't think much, however Putin has the oligarchs on a leash and he has supposedly worked with Trump for years according to Christopher Steele (Steele claims that Trump has spied on powerful Russians in the US and given that info to Putin).

Steele said that Trump didn't take up sweetheart deals that the Russians offered him FWIW.

But I really don't know what an oligarch gets out of paying 2x more for a home. Generally the person laundering the money is the one that buys something cheap and sells it more expensively. Not the person who buys it expensively.
I think we're in a new normal that consists of the super rich and connected greasing the skids for each other in many ways.

We're at a crossroads. We can either use common sense and "follow the money" or else lie down and play dead by saying "but there is no law against that thing you just cited, on the books right now"

I don't think we have time to do that.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:26 PM

Also Wesley: The oligarch, in the most simple scenario, may be an emissary of putin and doing his bidding in the relationship between one leader and another, when they both are acting in the interests of themselves and not the nations they are leading. It doesn't take a very vivid imagination to see that these things have motives to them.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LicketySplit View Post
I am wondering why?

Couldnt you rebut me?

I welcome a separate thread on this issue or a related one where you and I can debate this line of thought. That being: I claim that most of Trump's detractors do so only in view of his wealth. If he was less wealthy, say, about that of the overage POTUS over the past three decades, his detractors and amount of negative press would be halved.
Are you also extremely wealthy? Because if not, I'm curious how, as a person of ordinary means, you think your interests align with Donald Trumps.

Quote:
In what way would this work, using our president as an example?

For instance he sold his Florida home for a 60 million dollar profit, after owning it for two years, to a russian oligarch (who proceeded to tear it down.) It was a 150% profit and the highest single home sale record for the US.

Donald has denied ever meeting this man, but FAA records say that their planes have been in the same airports many times etc.

In the case of Russian oligarchs, what is their motive for these transactions? What is it accomplishing in terms of financial and legal aims?
This is not necessarily "money laundering" just because he sold an expensive house to a Russian billionaire for a large profit. However, it could be if the intent was to use the sale to hide the true source of the money.

I think there is also a bit of confusion here between "money laundering" which is the concealing of the source of money and "racketeering" which is the conducting of a fraudulent or illegal business itself.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
"Here it is. To conseal the source of money as by channeling it through an intermediary."
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
I can’t believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We’re looking up money laundering on the SDMB.
I am surprised it took that long to get there. https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/...4/71612844.jpg
Old 06-12-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Also Wesley: The oligarch, in the most simple scenario, may be an emissary of putin and doing his bidding in the relationship between one leader and another, when they both are acting in the interests of themselves and not the nations they are leading. It doesn't take a very vivid imagination to see that these things have motives to them.

I like the word 'emissary'.

'Emissary of Satan Putin'.

The Mephistopheles to the Donaldian Faust... Tragic, eh ?