Old 10-02-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesojumpy View Post
Often I will be discussing a topic with my GF or ask something outloud--"what time does Arby's close?"--and I grab my phone, open the google app, type in A-R- aaaand Arby's pops up.

Of all the things on the planet that start with A-R, jumping immediately to the correct suggestion seems like a far-fetched coincidence.

What's even CREEPIER is this happens when I'm alone, when I haven't said anything out loud. In those cases, it really starts to feel like Google is reading my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Vegetable View Post
The simplest explanation is of course that you're previously searched for Arby's, and that's why it's showing up again. Google remembers, even if you've forgotten.
You typed your own answer. If you don't want that to happen, download & open a (non-chrome) browser in private browsing mode, pull up google's website, while not signed in, & type your query. It's a few more steps & doesn't retain your search history, which some people find to be a benefit but that will reduce the creepiness factor. Is it worth it? You decide.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Vegetable View Post
The simplest explanation is of course that you're previously searched for Arby's, and that's why it's showing up again. Google remembers, even if you've forgotten.
Also, I think there are ways in which ad firms can pay for services which make their clients' names more likely to appear in predictive search results for certain people, base on past searches. If you've searched for the nearest Wendy's at all in the past, for example, you're more likely to see Arby's when you start typing "Ar--" than someone who never searches for anything fast-food related ever.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:37 AM

I think I have shared this here before, but a while back I was on a trip to a conference, and car pooling... A few of the other passengers began discussing Cabela's, and ammunition (avid shooty-people)... And sure enough, next time I pulled out my phone, all of the ads in my browser were Cabela's ads and ammunition reloading supplies. And I am definitely not the type to have ever searched for anything that should trigger that through ad personalization!
Old 10-02-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
That's what we described in posts #31 and #33 above. No results.
I'd missed those. Of course, all this means is that the Google listenbots are smart enough to know when you are trying to game the system