Old 10-07-2019, 05:32 PM
born to be shunned

I wouldn't. But then again politician isn't one of the career paths I followed or my family's business. If it had been --------- maybe.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:37 PM

I wouldnt mind being in local politics and helping my city, county, or state.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:44 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by KarlGauss; 10-07-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Which kind of speaks to my point. "Lowering the bar" so that the next President is judged by a different standard isn't really a thing for partisans. Ford was "a vile piece of shit", Pence would be "a vile piece of shit". Lather, rinse, repeat.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 10-08-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Which kind of speaks to my point. "Lowering the bar" so that the next President is judged by a different standard isn't really a thing for partisans. Ford was "a vile piece of shit", Pence would be "a vile piece of shit". Lather, rinse, repeat.

Regards,
Shodan
So democrats can get by saying "well ANYONE is better than Trump".
Old 10-08-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Jerry Ford wasn't seen as a "vile piece of shit" so much as a former fashion model and football player who was hit in the head a few times too many. The Ev & Jerry show was entertaining, too. But Pencil-dick Pence actually IS a vile piece of shit. His religion pushes infanticide, genocide, and slavery, so what can we expect?

Tramp really has lowered the bar. Making Dubya look good takes talent.

Last edited by RioRico; 10-08-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
Even for a relatively sane and honorable POTUS, they literally can't do anything without pissing somebody off. Imagine have to choose between having chicken salad vs tuna salad for lunch and knowing that whatever you choose, letters, E-mails and petitions are going to fly questioning your intelligence, your morals, your very soul. EVERY choice you make, every act you perform and somebody hates you for it.

I'm with the OP on this.
IOW, I think of it this way: you go one way, you're under fire; you go another way, you're under fire. Go north, you're under fire; south, you're under fire; east, you're under fire; and west, you're still under fire.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmasters1 View Post
IOW, I think of it this way: you go one way, you're under fire; you go another way, you're under fire. Go north, you're under fire; south, you're under fire; east, you're under fire; and west, you're still under fire.
To continue: Stay put and you're under even more fire. Even when it logically and defensively is the smart move, we're hardwired to perceive apparent inaction as equivalent to indecision. When you're being pummeled with a 1,000 different flavors of "DO SOMETHING!", you factor in the toxicity of Dubya's "Stay the course." and you recognize that any choice you make probably means pain for someone - hard pass on that hot mess.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:43 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
But Pencil-dick Pence actually IS a vile piece of shit. His religion pushes infanticide, genocide, and slavery, so what can we expect?
At least he won’t be on twitter all the time. Baby steps.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Jerry Ford wasn't seen as a "vile piece of shit" so much as...
His first act was to pardon Nixon, effectively endorsing his behavior as a president & human being. How you can do that without placing yourself on the same level is not clear. He was a POS, and everything he fumbled afterward was smeared with it.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:26 AM

WHY be president? Why NOT?

No one who hasn't done the job has the slightest idea of the grief and evil that comes with it, under the obvious public perks. You will have to make decisions that will result in the death of people, including ours. Goes with the territory. You will have to put the welfare of the US above the lives of peoples elsewhere. To be a Statesman requires an absence of conscience that's hard to understand, or even imagine. So maybe it's not a whole lot of fun. For instance-
I've got solid memories of every president since Kennedy. Kennedy, obviously, got out of the job early without the chance to engage in a lot of self doubt. Every other president- and I mean it- every other president- aged substantially and significantly more than their chronological time in office. Obama looked like an old man, and he's relatively young. Hell, even Eisenhauer looked worn out, and he had run WWII. Not a good time at all. And whomsoever shall stand will be held responsible for a whole lot of things no one can do much of anything about- you know, the whole tropical Minnesota concept, peak oil, the next pandemic, the income inequality apocalypse? This may be the worst time to become president of the United States since Abraham Lincoln stepped up to the plate. No disrespect to either side of the isle, but I don't see any men or women of Abe's calibre anywhere in any direction. Who wants to be king as the kingdom burns? Oh! wait- I know! A giant orange banana slug!