Old 12-10-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Maryland Fried Chicken (take that, Kentucky!)

My understanding is that it used to be a chain, but that apparently was decades ago. But there are still a number of Maryland Fried Chicken locations, operating independently, scattered across the Southeast. There's one in Plant City, FL where my in-laws live, and it's got damned good fried chicken.
There's a British chain called "Maryland Chicken." Apparently they have 12 locations, mostly around Leicestershire. I've never been to the UK, and I've never successfully gotten someone I know that's visiting the UK to go there, so I don't know whether it's any good or not. The one location I found a Yelp page for only had 8 reviews, but 7 of them were good, and almost all of them compared directly to KFC, some favorably, others not.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
No worries. It’s, hands down, my favorite version of chowder with NE a close second. Ones with tomatoes aren’t on the list.

Few have heard of it and I’m a bit evangelical when it comes to RI clam chowder!
It's not really all that common around here, although it may have been more popular in the past. There are a handful of restaurants that make clear chowder and then add cream or tomato sauce to provide white and red chowder, neither one being as good as the clear they were made from.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:32 PM

Texas caviar (a sort of dip made from black-eyed peas) is one that I just remembered.

There's also Texas chili
Old 12-10-2019, 12:45 PM

You know, with as much of a food culture as they have in Louisiana and New Orleans in particular, it feels like there should be some sort of food with Louisiana in its name. But I will be damned if I can think of one. I suppose there are some brands of hot sauce that bill themselves as "Louisiana hot sauce" but that seems to be mainly a marketing thing, not a specific variety of hot sauce.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 12-10-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
It's not really all that common around here, although it may have been more popular in the past. There are a handful of restaurants that make clear chowder and then add cream or tomato sauce to provide white and red chowder, neither one being as good as the clear they were made from.

Long Island makes an abomination (called LI clam chowder) that is Manhattan and NE chowders mixed together.

It is to weep.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Long Island makes an abomination (called LI clam chowder) that is Manhattan and NE chowders mixed together.

It is to weep.
The iced tea is the only good thing I can think of that starts with 'Long Island'.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
You know, with as much of a food culture as they have in Louisiana and New Orleans in particular, it feels like there should be some sort of food with Louisiana in its name. But I will be damned if I can think of one. I suppose there are some brands of hot sauce that bill themselves as "Louisiana hot sauce" but that seems to be mainly a marketing thing, not a specific variety of hot sauce.
There a lot of dishes called 'Cajun' or 'Creole', but I think you are right that there must be something out there. 'Louisiana Hot Sauce' is pretty much a synonym for cayenne hot sauce. Even the 'Louisiana Hot Sauce' brand labels itself as 'Original' because of competitors.

Wikipedia lists Louisiana Creole Cuisine as a separate category, there are other Creole Cuisines, but it's not a dish, just a style of cooking.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:15 PM

Arkansas Rice might not count to some. I care not for we have a Diamond mine. So there!
()

Let's not for forget 'Chocolate Gravy' yummy!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-10-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Dork Vader mentioned Wisconsin cheese. I think it counts if you specify Wisconsin cheddar.
In fact, the signature cheese of Wisconsin is named for a town in the north-central part of the state, a blend of young cheddar and something white that is emblematic of the ethos of bland that pervades their cheesy culture. There are well-known cheddars that come from other states that actually taste like something.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:50 PM

Georgia Gold, the mustardy fried chicken seems to be eve,rywhere at the moment.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
In fact, the signature cheese of Wisconsin is named for a town in the north-central part of the state, a blend of young cheddar and something white that is emblematic of the ethos of bland that pervades their cheesy culture. There are well-known cheddars that come from other states that actually taste like something.
This post actually seems a bit light on the facts. Colby may be one type of cheese that originated in WI but I'm not sure we consider it our signature cheese, which would almost certainly be cheese curds. Colby itself isn't a blend, but you can often find it blended with Monterrey Jack, a similarly mild, but white cheese.

As for the libelous "bland" comment, it seems likely you haven't stepped into a WI cheese shop within the last few decades. WI produces hundreds of cheeses with aged/sharp cheddars being some of the finest. Take a gander at the 2019 US Championship Cheese Contest results and it's clear that WI dominates in most categories.

http://usccc.myentries.org/contest/r...t=62#resultSub
Old 12-10-2019, 04:06 PM

Virginia peanuts
Texas toothpicks
Old 12-10-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:

It is to weep.
Just thinking about this one is giving me a little unintended gerd.

I relent on New Mexico chiles - they count.

I kinda agree on Idaho potatoes and Arkansas rice. But, to save Idaho on the list there is this candy bar: Idaho Spud.

Beck - WTH is 'Chocolate Gravy'? The visuals this phrase is giving me are not pretty.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
As for the libelous "bland" comment, it seems likely you haven't stepped into a WI cheese shop within the last few decades. WI produces hundreds of cheeses with aged/sharp cheddars being some of the finest. Take a gander at the 2019 US Championship Cheese Contest results and it's clear that WI dominates in most categories.
I was in that one in, I think, Delavan a few years ago. I bought a bit of that 7y/o stuff which, to my palate, seemed a bit unbalanced. And the price, well, I can get a 5lb brick of Tillamook White for what that Wisconsin stuff goes for the pound and it has better flavor balance at only 2 years. I found one store in Mad City that had one flavor of Tillamook for lactose intolerants or somesuch, but that is the only place in Wisconsin that had any kind of it, which seems no accident, as they could never handle the competition.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
Beck - WTH is 'Chocolate Gravy'? The visuals this phrase is giving me are not pretty.
It's a thick chocolate sauce/syrup you pour on biscuits.

https://southernbite.com/chocolate-gravy/

Last edited by Little Nemo; 12-10-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:35 PM

Not a state, but Cincinnatti (city) is in a state (Ohio) and Cincinnatti chili is a thing.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Apparently there is a thing called a Utah scone.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:15 PM

Minnesota Wild Rice
Old 12-11-2019, 12:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Not a state, but Cincinnatti (city) is in a state (Ohio) and Cincinnatti chili is a thing.
Nitpick- There is not a city in Ohio spelled "Cincinnatti". The chili in Cincinnati is very good though.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:42 AM
Suspended

Narrow it down. Hatch chiles. Napa wines. Havana cigars. Genesee cream ale. Olympia beer. Milwaukee's Finest. Bisbee Electric Ale. Acapulco Gold. Fresno peppers. Mission grapes. Humboldt oysters. Xalapeño peppers. Has anyone mentioned Lone Star (Texas) beer or the Bear Republic (California) brewery?
Old 12-11-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Narrow it down. Hatch chiles...
Hatch chiles are just one variety. From the article I linked to earlier:

Quote:
The chile grown in the Hatch Valley, in and around Hatch, New Mexico, is called Hatch chile, but no one cultivar of chile is specific to that area, which is smaller than the acreage used to produce chile with the "Hatch" label...

New Mexico chile plants grown in New Mexico are the most sought after, since their flavor, texture, and hardiness are heavily dependent on their growing environment. The plants were originally grown by the Pueblo, and each of their distinct Pueblo plants grows best in its heritage soil... Among New Mexico-grown chile, the ones with the most accolades are grown along the Rio Grande, especially along the Hatch Valley...

Towns and cities across New Mexico have strong chile traditions, including; Chimayo, Española, Corrales, Lemitar, and San Antonio; and from Bosque, New Mexico to Los Ranchos de Albuquerque in the Albuquerque area.
My brother prefers chiles from Chimayo. Here is a link to the New Mexico chile article so you don't have to go looking for it.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
… Acapulco Gold …
Is that some thing other than cannabis?
Old 12-11-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
The iced tea is the only good thing I can think of that starts with 'Long Island'.
Long Island duck
Old 12-11-2019, 10:26 AM

Note that I am only interested in foods with a State in the name (or province or equivalent in other countries). I know there are lots of examples of other locations.

Here is what I have so far (I may have missed one):

US:
Alabama
Alaska
California
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Mississippi
New Mexico
New York
Rhode Island
Texas
Utah (good one! I would have thought Utah would be one of the most difficult to find a food with it in the name)
Vermont
Virginia (missed that on my prior list)
Washington

Canada:
Nova Scotia
Yukon (Yukon Gold potatoes - altho I don't think they are from there - another marketing thing)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRaver View Post
Long Island duck
Ya got me there. I haven't even heard of those for ages.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I think in a lot of cases we have more specific geographic indicators- Vidalia onions, Cajun gumbo, Monterey Jack, Chicago style pizza, etc.... instead of state-specific ones. Even stuff like "Central Texas BBQ" versus the rest of the state.
Buffalo wings
Old 12-11-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Buffalo wings

Gotta say- no one from Buffalo calls them buffalo wings.

Just wings.

But that’s neither here nor there.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:08 AM

There's the Iowa chop, an especially thick and succulent pork chop which I am now developing a hankering for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Ohio buckeyes?
It's the state tree. I have two planted in my yard by a previous homeowner, who apparently didn't care that Ohio buckeyes have little in the way of floral display and drop leaves in late summer with (usually) minimal fall color.

Mrs. J. once worked with a woman named Virginia Ham (or Hamm). She went by Ginny Ham.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 12-12-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Pennsylvania Dutch pretzels
Kansas Fried Chicken (a competing chain)
Wisconsin cheese
New Jersey blueberries
North Carolina barbecue
Old 12-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The Arkansas Black is a variety of apple with excellent keeping qualities. It actually improves after it's been stored a few months. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Black
Old 12-12-2019, 12:34 PM

I've heard the horseshoe sandwich called an "Illinois Horseshoe" when reference outside the state.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:36 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Wisconsin Colby. One of the few cheeses invented in the US was invented in Colby, WI
Old 12-12-2019, 05:30 PM

Colorado Lamb gets promoted a lot, but I doubt anybody thinks of it as a state dish. I've never even had it.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:54 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Maryland Steamed Crabs
Old 12-13-2019, 11:19 AM

I've got to support the claim for Eastern Carolina and Western Carolina barbecue. (I guess I could also point out that you get two states for the price of one.) They are definitely well-defined and separate foodstuffs. When somebody asks for Eastern Carolina barbecue, anybody familiar with it knows what they're going to get.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:26 AM

Minnesota Hot Dish
Old 12-13-2019, 11:47 AM

Alaskan King Crab?
Old 12-13-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliophage View Post
The Arkansas Black is a variety of apple with excellent keeping qualities. It actually improves after it's been stored a few months. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Black
There's also the Arkansas Traveler tomato variety, which is a warm/hot weather adapted variety.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/ARKANSA...ductinfo/3566/
Old 12-13-2019, 01:11 PM

DC Half smokes for District of Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
Maryland Steamed Crabs
They may be known that way across the Mississippi, but nobody in the area would say that. We would say "Chesapeake" steamed crabs.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
There's also the Arkansas Traveler tomato variety, which is a warm/hot weather adapted variety.
Not to mention the Carolina Gold, Illinois Beauty and Nebraska Wedding tomatoes (among others).
Old 12-13-2019, 07:58 PM

I will add Arkansas and D.C to the list - those are acceptable.

The Iowa chop is also acceptable, and I never heard of that one, and thought Iowa would be one of the states with no food with that in the name!

I am having trouble with Carolina. Sure there are a number of things like the Carolina Reaper and the BBQ, but last time I checked, no state of Carolina. I am tempted to allow it, but don't want to offend anyone who thinks I am suggesting all the Carolinas are the same.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:30 AM

Since I read this thread I'm seeing advertisements for Texas Blonde Pecan Cake. Coincidence? Or, did this thread trigger something that made it think I was interested in it? (I'm assuming it's something outside of this thread)
Old 12-14-2019, 12:13 PM

Pulled pork with red vinegar barbecue sauce is specifically known as North Carolina style BBQ. I think that one should go in. Some shorten it to "Carolina style" others lengthen it to "Eastern North Carolina BBQ Sauce" but the vast majority say "North Carolina BBQ".
Old 12-14-2019, 12:20 PM

On the coast there is "South Carolina Frogmore Stew", which is the SC version of a clam bake. Corn on the cob, potatoes, sausage (never hot dogs) and shrimp thrown into whatever will hold them and baked or boiled in seawater out on the sand.

But I don't think anyone who hasn't spent a Summer on their beaches knows about that. I'm not sure it meets the challenge of "known for."
Old 12-14-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Ohio buckeyes?
Being poisonous, you wouldn't want to eat them. Despite being told this in freshman orientation at OSU, some idiot, in a blindingly stupid display of school spirit, always cooks up a buckeye pie and poisens themselves almost every year...or so the legend goes.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:55 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

There's a type of candy called a "buckeye":

https://sugarspunrun.com/buckeye-recipe/

As you can see, they look sort of like real buckeyes. I've never heard anyone call them "Ohio Buckeyes," though.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
There's a type of candy called a "buckeye":

https://sugarspunrun.com/buckeye-recipe/

As you can see, they look sort of like real buckeyes. I've never heard anyone call them "Ohio Buckeyes," though.
Ohio is the Buckeye State. I'm surprised when anyone not from Ohio knows what they are. Not sure if Ohioans actually know themselves.

Otherwise, the only reference to Ohio Buckeyes I've heard is for the OSU sports teams.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:33 PM

The B.C. Roll.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:37 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

The Ohio buckeye is a fairly common garden and street tree, even here on the west coast. There's also a California buckeye tree, but it's not as attractive.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
I am having trouble with Carolina. Sure there are a number of things like the Carolina Reaper and the BBQ, but last time I checked, no state of Carolina.
If you count Carolina, then you have to count Dakota for Dakota Peach Kuchen. I'm not sure which state it's named for, but kuchen (not specifically peach) is the official state dessert of South Dakota.