Thank you for taking out the trash.

SamuelA
HurricaneDitka
Budget Player Cadet
Zeke N. Destroi
Scumpup
Barack Obama

R. I. P.

Slowly the forums are becoming a better place.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:48 AM

Inb4 dribble brings the lecture about how cowardly it is to attack those who aren't here to defend themselves...
Old 12-11-2019, 01:54 AM

I just wanted to post this for all to see. I don't care if people agree with me or if it gets closed. But since you're still here, octoputz, I hope you join them real soon.

Last edited by cochrane; 12-11-2019 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I just wanted to post this for all to see. I don't care if people agree with me or if it gets closed. But since you're still here, octoputz, I hope you join them real soon.
Iím sure it will cause much rejoicing for the hive. Then the hive will just move on down the snark list. Pathetic.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:10 AM

As a conservative, I actually wish Budget Player Cadet and Barack Obama hadn't been booted. They were flamers and insulters but they often brought up valid or not-discussed-enough points that stirred up good debate. (Except for maybe Barack Obama's suggestion that the USA needed to rid itself of all nukes ASAP). I'd rather have seen them suspended than banned, unless they already got suspended multiple times and just couldn't help themselves.

Last edited by Velocity; 12-11-2019 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:16 AM

Zeke was a piece of shit and had to go. I was sorry to see BPC go. His posts were well thought out and elegantly written, and even when I didnít agree with them I liked reading them. Iím also sorry to see Hurricane Ditka and Barack Obama go. I didnít agree with 44 on much, and I didnít agree with HD on anything as far as I recall. But they made the place more interesting, and their alleged trollishness was, I thought, always wildly overstated. SamuelA never showed up on my radar so I donít know about him.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Inb4 dribble brings the lecture about how cowardly it is to attack those who aren't here to defend themselves...
Rejoicing over banned posters is just fine. "Gone" is not the same as "down".

What's cowardly is starting passive-aggressive Pit threads about suspended posters but not having the balls to do outright, and instead phrasing it as "friendly advice".

I was happy when Shodan was suspended recently, but you didn't see me start gloating Pit threads about it. Because I'm not a ball of puke and shit that has unaccountably attained semi-sentience and internet access.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:43 AM

dupe damn 50X errors

Last edited by MrDibble; 12-11-2019 at 03:45 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:41 AM

Fuck off with calling BPC trash. Dude just lacked self-control when dealing with assholes like the others who got banned. Plus the mods hated him, deliberately misinterpreting him at times, and even directly defending the board being paid by Nazis, all the while pretending to care about his mental health.

MrDibble also gets about as angry, but is better able to limit it to the Pit.

Oh, and octopus, you forgot one thing: You treat everyone like shit. So cochrane gets a bit of the benefit of the doubt here that he wasn't just piling on these guys, and really is just showing mod appreciation.

No one believes you were giving "friendly advice" in the other thread.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

I had no idea HurricaneDitka was racking up warnings, so I guess I was pretty oblivious and had the false impression he was able to consistently maintain a civil affect, the transparency of which was proving irritating to other posters. Looking through the links in his announcement thread was a bit of an eye-opener.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Nobody cry too hard for them. It won't last forever.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:04 AM

(Dupe)

Last edited by JKellyMap; 12-11-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Nobody cry too hard for them. It won't last forever.
Just curious: Are you suggesting some of them may return as socks? (And be undetected as such for a while?).
Or, are you suggesting that certain current (unbanned) posters will start stepping over the line more often, perhaps because they (subconsciously) perceive that these boards should maintain a certain level of jerkishness?
Or, that surely some new folks will join the board, and act in similar ways to these banned posters?
Or maybe that the current trend of mods cracking down on trollery will be short-lived? (I think this was your intent).
Old 12-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

I meant the sockitude. Possibly the new trolls, but I suspect socks. I have a huge list of people on Ignore, but when I look back on it, the majority of them are banned and from what I recall of their posting style they seem pretty similar. Not necessarily to the recently-banned posters: I don't want to put the effort into comparing them. But history informs my opinion.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:27 AM

HurricaneDitka being gone is particularly welcome. There are certain posters who are so incredibly toxic that they make having a reasonable political conversation impossible. I think some of these toxic posters are responsible for the increased hostility to other conservative posters, i.e., guilt by association. HurricaneDitka never contributed any insightful thought that I ever saw.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:12 AM

I'd like to see the warnings issued to those goaded into them by Ditka be rescinded. The dude lived to get other people in trouble with the mods.

I have to disagree with the Budget Player Cadet banning. The US is currently like 1930s Germany, and those who can see that can sometimes express exasperation with those who cannot. We need more outrage about the despot in chief, not less.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
As a conservative, I actually wish Budget Player Cadet and Barack Obama hadn't been booted. They were flamers and insulters but they often brought up valid or not-discussed-enough points that stirred up good debate. (Except for maybe Barack Obama's suggestion that the USA needed to rid itself of all nukes ASAP). I'd rather have seen them suspended than banned, unless they already got suspended multiple times and just couldn't help themselves.
BPC had already been suspended twice, most recently 6Ĺ months ago. Obama had 30-day suspension three months ago and showed no sign of altering his behavior.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Check out the last four threads Obama started and this post; he obviously stopped giving a shit about mods and their rules.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I'd like to see the warnings issued to those goaded into them by Ditka be rescinded. The dude lived to get other people in trouble with the mods.
Agreed. He was a long-time troll. So sometimes people just had enough and called him what he was. We just saw it well before the mods. Perhaps change the warnings into gold stars.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:19 PM

I'm bummed to see Ditka go. He added a different voice to this place and it was nice hearing the other side even if I didn't always agree. It's unfortunate that so many people here get their shit stirred up at the though of people disagreeing with them.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Iím sure it will cause much rejoicing for the hive. Then the hive will just move on down the snark list. Pathetic.
FWIW, I have no wish for our resident cephalopod to be banned, though I'm always happy to argue with him when he's wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
As a conservative, I actually wish Budget Player Cadet and Barack Obama hadn't been booted. They were flamers and insulters but they often brought up valid or not-discussed-enough points that stirred up good debate.
Barack Obama was turning out to be a moron. I always suspected that this character wasn't really the 44th president, who seemed a lot brighter IRL.

Seriously, I think BPC was a bit of a loss to the board, but let's face it, the discussions often went like this:

BPC: <Some outlandish statement of an extreme liberal sentiment, yet probably worth discussing to some degree, then with an insult or two thrown in to those who disagree.>
Moderator: BPC, you need to dial it way back.
BPC: No, I will not.

Repeat, repeat, repeat. I guess it was just a few times too many.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
I'm bummed to see Ditka go. He added a different voice to this place and it was nice hearing the other side even if I didn't always agree. It's unfortunate that so many people here get their shit stirred up at the though of people disagreeing with them.
It's a sign of stunted emotional development.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:25 PM

Thanks, mods! Ditka in particular was much more interested in scoring points and "liberal tears" than actual discussion or debate. The board is a much better place without him.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 12-11-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Oh, he was a different voice, alright. The voice of a troll. Or as we called it in the old days, a gadfly. Originally a gadfly was an annoying fly that buzzed around and bit livestock, but it gradually morphed into meaning an annoying person, especially one who provokes others into disreputable action by incessant criticism. I have no personal issues with conservative posters like Sam Stone, or Bone, with whom I disagree politically on almost everything. But Ditka never seemed to have anything useful or substantive to contribute.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Yeah, it's somewhat bittersweet that the ban ended up being personal insults or whatever, rather than a definitive statement about a years-long campaign of trolling in the form of sealioning, JAQing off, and, well, trolling.

I expect fairly soon we'll see the emergence of a new account sporting all those delightful behaviors. Watch for the conservative whose main contribution is threadshitting with liberal-hostile questions.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Thanks, mods! Ditka in particular was much more interested in scoring points and "liberal tears" than actual discussion or debate. The board is a much better place without him.
Your critique of other posters would have merit if you weren't so blatantly partisan with your bias. How about slinging some snark towards worthless left wing posters such as kaylasdad, steveG, etc?
Old 12-11-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Seriously, I think BPC was a bit of a loss to the board, but let's face it, the discussions often went like this:

BPC: <Some outlandish statement of an extreme liberal sentiment, yet probably worth discussing to some degree, then with an insult or two thrown in to those who disagree.>
Moderator: BPC, you need to dial it way back.
BPC: No, I will not.

Repeat, repeat, repeat. I guess it was just a few times too many.
Basically, yeah.

BPC had lots of valuable content and arguments to offer, and his posts were usually backed by sound logic and facts. It's just that he couldn't/didn't learn how to present them without flaming and running afoul of the mods.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
It's a sign of stunted emotional development.
How do you feel about stunted emotional development?
Old 12-11-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Your critique of other posters would have merit if you weren't so blatantly partisan with your bias. How about slinging some snark towards worthless left wing posters such as kaylasdad, steveG, etc?
I'm sure my political opinions make me more likely to notice right-wing trolls than left-wing trolls. But I have called out broad-brushing attacks from the left on this board on multiple occasions.

As for specific left-wing supposed trolls (or otherwise worthless posters), feel free to make a case.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
How do you feel about stunted emotional development?
I find it sad.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
He didn't get banned because he said things that people disagreed with. You get that, right?
Old 12-11-2019, 01:13 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

On the subject of BPC Iíll just say this.

He had seventeen warnings from seven different mods in many fora. He had two suspensions and endless mod notes as guidance.

How much is the board supposed to tolerate?
Old 12-11-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Lord knows we've suffered.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:58 PM

I too thought BPC made a lot of valuable contributions to the board but I'm not quibbling with the banning. That's a lot of warnings to rack up.

Of the others, Zeke never really made it onto my radar but the rest were pretty toxic, especially in recent times. I never did figure out whether Barack Obama was a left-wing troll or a right-wing troll pretending to be a left-wing troll, but I'm pretty sure he was an asshole.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:59 PM

There is the old saying about being able to disagree without being disagreeable. However, these days it seems , to some at least, that disagreaability is the essence of disagreement. One can be conservative (or liberal, or ultra-conservative or ultra-liberal) without being an asshole about it. Those who can't should get, as Spider Robinson put it, an invitation to the world.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
On the subject of BPC Iíll just say this.

He had seventeen warnings from seven different mods in many fora. He had two suspensions and endless mod notes as guidance.

Well, that's your fault for not splurging on the Premium Player Cadet.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I disagree. The impression I usually got from HD was that he didn't really understand the debates he was in. I feel he was just repeating things he had picked up in some right wing websites. In those sites, those ideas were applauded. But when HD brought them here, people responded by questioning them and pointing out the problems in them. And HD couldn't defend the ideas he was posting because he hadn't developed them and didn't really fully understand them.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Well, that's your fault for not splurging on the Premium Player Cadet.
That's damn fantastic.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
That's damn fantastic.
Don't encourage him.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I disagree. The impression I usually got from HD was that he didn't really understand the debates he was in. I feel he was just repeating things he had picked up in some right wing websites. In those sites, those ideas were applauded. But when HD brought them here, people responded by questioning them and pointing out the problems in them. And HD couldn't defend the ideas he was posting because he hadn't developed them and didn't really fully understand them.
I mostly agree with this and in doing so he reminded me of a lot of people I knew in the oil field. I don't go to those right wing sites so I like having someone here who is willing to do so and act as their advocate even when they are dumb. I always felt he was genuine since I know people exactly like him.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I always felt he was genuine since I know people exactly like him.
On the SDMB, sincerity and trolling are not mutually exclusive.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I mostly agree with this and in doing so he reminded me of a lot of people I knew in the oil field. I don't go to those right wing sites so I like having someone here who is willing to do so and act as their advocate even when they are dumb. I always felt he was genuine since I know people exactly like him.
For fun, I'll sometimes listen to CSPAN on my short commute. This morning a Trump supporter said the following:

1) Trump won by a landslide.
2) He turned the economy around from Obama's administration.
3) He's done everything he promised he would do.
4) He tells it like it is.

I've no doubt he was genuine. A genuine delusional idiot.

What purpose does it serve to defend the congenitally dumb who construct an alternative world that has no connection to facts and reality? Why is it good to represent the credulous and the gas-lighters?
Old 12-11-2019, 03:32 PM

When I saw the thread title, "Thank You Mods", I immediately wondered what such a warm and fuzzy thread was doing in the Pit. Now, I know. LOL
Old 12-11-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
What purpose does it serve to defend the congenitally dumb who construct an alternative world that has no connection to facts and reality? Why is it good to represent the credulous and the gas-lighters?
Ehh, I found his genuine different point of view more enjoyable to read then Der Trihs and the crazy left that is allow to post here.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I find it sad.
What do you want to talk about sad?
Old 12-11-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
LOL
Old 12-11-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Zeke was a piece of shit and had to go. I was sorry to see BPC go. His posts were well thought out and elegantly written, and even when I didnít agree with them I liked reading them. Iím also sorry to see Hurricane Ditka and Barack Obama go. I didnít agree with 44 on much, and I didnít agree with HD on anything as far as I recall. But they made the place more interesting, and their alleged trollishness was, I thought, always wildly overstated. SamuelA never showed up on my radar so I donít know about him.
That;s pretty much what I came in here to say.

-God
Old 12-11-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Are you trying to achieve the unique feat of having a pit thread moved to thread games?
Old 12-11-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Ehh, I found his genuine different point of view more enjoyable to read then Der Trihs and the crazy left that is allow to post here.
Of all the crazy, over the top things Der Trihs has ever posted, I never felt like he was trolling. I guess I find it easier to ignore the crazy than the intentional gaslighting and trolling. YMMV.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Of all the crazy, over the top things Der Trihs has ever posted, I never felt like he was trolling. I guess I find it easier to ignore the crazy than the intentional gaslighting and trolling. YMMV.
Of course you do. You are intellectually dishonest.