Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Elizabeth Warren campaign goes full blown populist

Wow, the Warren campaign has taken a hard ‘angry’ populist turn over the last couple days.

1. Got a fundraising email last night with ‘Stick it to the billionaires who are fighting against our movement’ as the opening line.

2. Got a text this morning, ‘Companies like Exxon shouldn’t be able to pour money into junk science and use or to lie to fed regulators.’

I assume she’s trying to grab any of the Bernie supporters that are still gettable. Still, I’m not sure this is a great strategy. She’ll have a fervent army of Twitter warriors but most us don’t wake up in the AM wanting to smack Jeff Bezos or Mark Zuckerberg in the face.

It looks like the primary strategy is for her to knock out Bernie and then for Biden or Buttigieg to emerge as her competition. The drawback from this strategy is that I’m not sure Bernie will drop out when it becomes hopeless. Bernie went scorched earth in 2016 even when his campaign was all but mathematically eliminated. Whereas, I do think Biden or Buttigieg would drop out once it becomes clear that they’re not going to be the nominee.