Old 03-25-2020, 09:39 AM

PRESIDENT TRUMP'S CORONAVIRUS GUIDELINES FOR AMERICA postcard.

The mail was just delivered. It included two copies of a postcard that in big bold letters on the front says

PRESIDENT TRUMP'S CORONAVIRUS GUIDELINES FOR AMERICA

It has a G-10 permit, meaning it was paid for by the federal government.

I thought Vice President Pence was in charge of the coronavirus response, so I am glad to learn that PRESIDENT TRUMP is personally asserting his role as leader and has personally formulated guidelines for us. We need strong leadership in times like these.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

"Honey, we're out of toilet paper."
"Don't worry. PRESIDENT TRUMP just sent us this postcard."
"God bless that man."
Old 03-25-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

I read the one we received yesterday. My response?

Thank you, Captain Obvious!
Old 03-25-2020, 02:30 PM

I thought about reading it, so I could be sure to do the exact opposite. But not worth the 10 seconds, so straight to the recycle bin.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Hey! I haven't gotten mine yet!
Old 03-25-2020, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
I thought about reading it, so I could be sure to do the exact opposite.
No, the advice on the postcard actually is basic good sense.

Trump should read it.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 03-25-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
I thought about reading it, so I could be sure to do the exact opposite. But not worth the 10 seconds, so straight to the recycle bin.
Dear, Mr. President.

I have received your postcard and read it in the smallest room in the house. Thankfully, it was soon behind me.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:25 PM

Column: Has Trump even read his own ‘Coronavirus Guidelines for America’?

Apparently, the answer is "no".
Old 03-25-2020, 03:41 PM

Does the postcard say that the pandemic will blow over when the weather breaks? Otherwise, someone else wrote it. (Speaking of Capt. Obvious.)
Old 03-25-2020, 03:56 PM

I just checked, and mine was in the mailbox. It was in there with a bunch of junk mail. I didn't read it, because I've already heard what Trump had to say about the weather, and the demise of the virus. In total I got about 5 pieces of junk mail, and one piece-of-shit mail.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:20 PM

USPS usually emails me pictures of that day's deliveries to our post office box but there's nothing today. Much of what arrives goes S2S, Straight to Shredder. It's a shame to cut down forests for this stuff.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:25 PM

When mine comes, I'm going to write "Return to sender" on it and put it back in the box.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
When mine comes, I'm going to write "Return to sender" on it and put it back in the box.
I'm not, I'm putting it with all my other documents that I've kept through the years, will make an interesting piece of ephemera. Now if any of my descendants will want it is another question.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:50 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I'm not sure what part of the NO POLITICS in the Quarantine Zone forum description people are not getting. In any case, since this is evidently intended to ridicule Trump, let's move it to the Pit.

Colibri
Quarantine Zone Moderator

Last edited by Colibri; 03-25-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:06 PM

Mine came today and went straight into the recycle bin. It wasn't anything I hadn't heard at least TWO WEEKS AGO.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:08 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I read the one we received yesterday. My response?

Thank you, Captain Obvious!

When referring to Trump, I prefer "MOTO" (Moron Of The Obvious).
Old 03-25-2020, 06:39 PM

I noted getting this on the "Trump pissed you off" thread, and while I would say the advice offered is just as obvious as you state, there is good advice on it and since Trump's name is so obviously displayed therein, it may encourage some of his supporters to actually take it seriously, thus helping out in 'leveling the curve', as most doctors are wanting. So some good may come of this.

That said, putting his name so prominently regarding a disease he did (and appears to still be doing) his best to play down and make light of, I do admit it 'irks' me some.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 03-25-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:38 PM

My main quibble with it is why it was labelled "President Trump's". It should come from the CDC, possibly from the surgeon general, and there was no reason to put his name on it at all.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:43 PM

File 13.

the burn barrel
Old 03-25-2020, 07:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
My main quibble with it is why it was labelled "President Trump's". It should come from the CDC, possibly from the surgeon general, and there was no reason to put his name on it at all.
Yeah. It’s almost as if he was seeking to take credit for someone else’s good work.

But that’s just crazy talk on my part.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I'm not sure what part of the NO POLITICS in the Quarantine Zone forum description people are not getting. In any case, since this is evidently intended to ridicule Trump, let's move it to the Pit.

Colibri
You're right and I'm wrong. I hit "New Posts" to see what's new on the board and, as a result, I sometimes don't notice which particular forum a thread is in. I thought this was a Pit thread (and that mistake is on me). If I had paid attention and noticed it was a Quarantine Zone thread, I wouldn't have responded as I did.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
You're right and I'm wrong. I hit "New Posts" to see what's new on the board and, as a result, I sometimes don't notice which particular forum a thread is in. I thought this was a Pit thread (and that mistake is on me). If I had paid attention and noticed it was a Quarantine Zone thread, I wouldn't have responded as I did.
I don’t think you’re to blame; the OP was political enough and your reply seemed in the same spirit.

I got one of these cards today but didn’t read it yet. I assume it has the same info I’ve been hearing non-stop for weeks. (Not that I mind that, good advice that may help to inhibit the spread of COVID-19 needs to be repeated until people follow it.)
Old 03-25-2020, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

People like you are why so many of our mods are drug addicts.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Trump Tower
Trump University
Trump Steaks
Trump Taj Mahal
Trump National Golf Club (there are a few of these)
Trump International Golf Links (there are a few of these too)
Trump: The Art of the Deal
Trump International Hotel Las Vegas
Trump International Hotel Washington DC

... and so on, and so on, and so on.

The postcard was labelled "President Trump's" because he cannot resist putting his name on anything he can. I agree that there is no reason to put his name on it at all; but if the postcard is coming from the US Government, and he (as head of the government) can put his name on it, he will.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:39 PM

As dumb as I think it is, I wonder if having Trump's name on it might be why a good 25% of people would actually take it seriously. I mean, he was previously saying it was all a hoax, and they believed that, so they need him to say otherwise.

I'm just happy it's not someone putting Trump's face on the conspiracy bullshit. Because I could see people doing that.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:19 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
As dumb as I think it is, I wonder if having Trump's name on it might be why a good 25% of people would actually take it seriously. I mean, he was previously saying it was all a hoax, and they believed that, so they need him to say otherwise.

I'm just happy it's not someone putting Trump's face on the conspiracy bullshit. Because I could see people doing that.

Look, that twerp Trump touted long and hard the birther nonsense and then one time and one time only glibly said Obama was born in America. Care to guess how much of the twerp's base still tout the birther nonsense?
Old 03-25-2020, 10:24 PM

I thought it was China's virus!? But if he wants to claim responsibility now...
Old 03-25-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Look, that twerp Trump touted long and hard the birther nonsense and then one time and one time only glibly said Obama was born in America. Care to guess how much of the twerp's base still tout the birther nonsense?
Yeah, but they didn't get that in the mail. And his demo probably is the type that gets swindled by things in the mail.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Colibri
So you're saying the President sent out a political mailing on the taxpayer's dime?

Sure, I agree, but at least for now, this IS an official U.S. government mailing. Ridiculing it isn't 'politics.'
Old 03-26-2020, 09:11 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
So you're saying the President sent out a political mailing on the taxpayer's dime?

Sure, I agree, but at least for now, this IS an official U.S. government mailing. Ridiculing it isn't 'politics.'
Moderator Note

Seriously? You agree the mailing itself was political, but ridiculing it is not political? That doesn't make any sense. The ridicule being directed at it from the start is clearly political and belongs in the Pit.

In any case, if you wish to complain about moderation, take it to ATMB.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 03-26-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
In any case, since this is evidently intended to ridicule Trump, let's move it to the Pit.

Colibri
Noooo! Don't ridicule Trump!! He'll take away our hospital's ventilators!!!
Old 03-26-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I thought so too, but then I thought that the kind of morons who would take it more seriously because it has Trump's name on it may just be the kind of people who need to hear and heed it.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:30 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Noooo! Don't ridicule Trump!! He'll take away our hospital's ventilators!!!
Colibri is in Panama. He’s probably better fixed for ventilators than any of us up in the contiguous 48.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:31 AM

Since it unnecessarily had his name on it, I took it as a campaign mailing. Sure it was good advice, (go figure) but I found it to be another egregious claim for credit.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
In his defense (excuse me while I gag), I think most Presidents would take the opportunity to get their names out in public on something 'helping' people; it's what politicians do. It's just that with our current Narcissist-in-Chief, it's a lot easier to ridicule it...

And the CDC is shown by their decal on the card...right next to the White House. And it does direct people to the .gov site on the virus, FWIW.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
In his defense (excuse me while I gag), I think most Presidents would take the opportunity to get their names out in public on something 'helping' people; it's what politicians do. It's just that with our current Narcissist-in-Chief, it's a lot easier to ridicule it...
Why would you think that? What evidence have you seen that backs up that thinking, rather than that Trump's name being prominent is an anomaly?

Because I don't remember getting President Obama's Census or President Bush's Terrorism Fighting Guidelines or President Clinton's Economic Report, etc.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
In his defense (excuse me while I gag), I think most Presidents would take the opportunity to get their names out in public on something 'helping' people; it's what politicians do.
And sometimes it's even foisted on them. "Obamacare" was originally the derisive name that opponents used to deride the PPACA (Yet it was those opponents who claimed he had a messianic cult going...). After noticing there was no point on fighting that, everyone sort of accepted calling it "Obamacare" in everyday usage.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 03-26-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:33 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Colibri is in Panama. He’s probably better fixed for ventilators than any of us up in the contiguous 48.
Panama is on lockdown, and people are only allowed to leave their houses for two hours a day to go to the supermarket or pharmacy. But worse, the sale of alcohol has been prohibited. I'm well stocked for scotch, but the beer is running low.

SO DON'T TRY ME!
Old 03-26-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Panama is on lockdown, and people are only allowed to leave their houses for two hours a day to go to the supermarket or pharmacy. But worse, the sale of alcohol has been prohibited. I'm well stocked for scotch, but the beer is running low.

SO DON'T TRY ME!
Arg! No Alcohol? At least in many states in the US the state controlled Alcohol retailers are left alone. Definitely an essential service!

//i\\
Old 03-26-2020, 11:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
But worse, the sale of alcohol has been prohibited. I'm well stocked for scotch, but the beer is running low.
I saw that Australia had restricted alcohol purchases, then I saw the 'restrictions'.
Quote:
• 1 carton of beer, cider or pre-mixed spirits; or
• 3 bottles of wine; or
• 1 litre of spirits; or
• 1 litre of fortified wine; or
• A combination of any two of the above, but not a combination of two of the same product).
And just to clarify - that is the per day restriction.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Sure, but what if they're buying for their spouse as well?
Old 03-26-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon View Post
Arg! No Alcohol? At least in many states in the US the state controlled Alcohol retailers are left alone. Definitely an essential service!

//i\\

In California, they justified leaving alcohol sales as essential because they didn't want withdrawing alcoholics clogging up emergency services.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:25 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon View Post

//i\\
That's what I think. But apparently they think that if people have alcohol they'll get together and party. They may be right. (Here beer and liquor are sold in supermarkets, but when the "dry law" is in effect for Good Friday, election day, etc, they rope off those aisles.)
Old 03-26-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I don't think he cares whether people take the virus seriously, or whether they take the stuff on the postcard seriously.

The message of the postcard one thing: "I am your Dear Leader. I can save you. I will take care of you. I will make it all better. But ONLY if you re-elect me!" Nothing more than that.

He doesn't care if anyone washes their hands or not. Dead people don't vote (except in Texas, as someone pointed out), so if people die, not his problem.
Quote:
...I'm just happy it's not someone putting Trump's face on the conspiracy bullshit. Because I could see people doing that.
I don't understand this part of what you said. You don't want people accusing trump of promoting conspiracy theories? And your reasons are...?

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 03-26-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I don't think he cares whether people take the virus seriously, or whether they take the stuff on the postcard seriously.

The message of the postcard one thing: "I am your Dear Leader. I can save you. I will take care of you. I will make it all better. But ONLY if you re-elect me!" Nothing more than that.
You're assuming it was Trump who decided to send the postcard or to put his name on it.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:10 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
You're assuming it was Trump who decided to send the postcard or to put his name on it.
Do you seriously think he didn't? Even if it was some sycophant who decided to do so, they surely would have informed Trump about it.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:23 PM

If I had to guess, I'd say someone in the CDC told him they wanted to send out a postcard, he looked at it and said "Why isn't my name on it?".
Old 03-26-2020, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I saw that Australia had restricted alcohol purchases, then I saw the 'restrictions'.

And just to clarify - that is the per day restriction.
My last duty station was Winter Harbor, Maine, and it had the first installation in the world of a particular piece of direction-finding equipment. The second installation was to be Darwin, NT, Australia, and to be operated by the Australian navy.

Accordingly, to get some practical experience on maintaining and operating the gear, two Australian petty officers would come in for four weeks, then we'd get a two week gap, and another pair would arrive.

It was a small base, about 200 sailors, so we had a Combined Mess (translation: club) for everyone from the Old Man on down. The club manager soon learned that when the Aussies were there to double the beer order.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post

It's a stupid fucking rule. A forum dedicated to something that domestic politics fucked up, but don't talk politics. Fucking stupid.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Hey! I haven't gotten mine yet!
You can have mine, but you'll have to fish it out of the trash.