Old 07-03-2019, 04:54 PM

Wimbledon 2019: Go, go Coco! You're cleared for takeoff, FAA!

Coco Gauff just won her 2nd Wimbledon match! Her expression was priceless when she beat Venus the other day.

And Felix Auger-Aliassime is certainly making a show of it:
Quote:
The first player born in the 2000s to win a men’s match at a major, the 19th-seeded Auger-Aliassime progressed to the third round in his debut at the All England Club with a 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 victory over French qualifier Corentin Moutet on Wednesday.
Quote:
One more victory, and the kid known to many by his initials, “FAA,” could be taking on defending champion Novak Djokovic.
I'm not a big tennis fan, but I do appreciate watching athletes of all types play and compete. So far this has been an exciting tournament!

ETA: https://apnews.com/183a73039ba2431f9fe85d729133db6d

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-03-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:38 PM

Serena is still in. Ashleigh Barty advanced easily.

Miss Gauff will play Centre Court tomorrow.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-04-2019 at 04:38 PM. Reason: corrected Miss Barty's first name
Old 07-04-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Miss Gauff will play Centre Court tomorrow.
Another match on a show court. OK, Venus is rarely going to play away from one at Wimbledon, but Coco's subsequent two matches being on one demonstrates Wimbledon's keen eye for the box-office

Also Andy Murray - complete with new hip - made it through the first round of the men's doubles, and if things go according to plan he's going to be playing mixed doubles with Serena. I wonder where those two will be playing
Old 07-04-2019, 05:23 PM

Aye; the AP even had a blurb about that:
Quote:
LOOKAHEAD TO FRIDAY

Coco Gauff is such a big draw at Wimbledon these days that sheíll be the headline act on Centre Court. The 15-year-old American will play the last match of the day on the All England Clubís biggest showcourt when she faces Polona Hercog of Slovenia in the third round. Itís another sign of how quickly Gauff has become a star at the grass-court Grand Slam tournament after beating Venus Williams and Magdalena Rybarikova in the first two rounds. Itís almost unheard of for two unseeded players with little Grand Slam pedigree to be placed on Centre Court in one of the early rounds ó unless one is British. Another exciting teenager, 18-year-old Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime, will also try to reach the last 16 when he takes on Ugo Humbert on No. 1 Court. Defending menís champion Novak Djokovic will also be on No. 1 Court, facing Hubert Hurkacz.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:45 PM

Kyrgios aced Nadal with an underhand serve today. He also intentionally hit Nadal in the chest.

I watched CoCo's match yesterday. It was a pleasure to watch two women playing without any grunting and/or shrieking.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:45 AM

Awesome, Bo, for starting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
Kyrgios aced Nadal with an underhand serve today.
Yeah, saw that and had a good laugh. Manoman he sure gets snowflakey with umpires, like, way too often. He's one of the few players who, when he loses, it always seems like he's beating more himself than getting beaten by his opponent. Yes, this means he tanks. Not so much today, but in previous matches - hells ya. Surprised as all get-out to hear that prior to today they were 3 - 3 head-to-head.

Felix has been making this fellow Canuck proud. Nice little bit of info from the ATP Tour website:

Quote:
At 18 years and 10 months, Auger-Aliassime is at a career-high of No. 21 in the ATP Rankings. Among the four active players ranked No. 1 in their careers, his current ATP Ranking far surpasses where three of them were at his age. Auger-Aliassime could also crack the Top 20 before his 19th birthday if he continues his run at The All England Club.
(Nick) Curious to see how long Andy's hip lasts. Interesting that he's paired up with Serena in the mixed. Hopefully he continues on with a substantial doubles career.

Will always be pulling for almost-38-year-old Fed. Maybe the most aesthetically satisfying athlete I've ever watched. Not sure if he has a 21st major in him, but I always hope.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Kyrgios aced Nadal with an underhand serve today. He also intentionally hit Nadal in the chest.
I too laughed at the underarm ace. He won another point with it later on, too - Nadal just barely got to it but couldn't get it back. I personally think it's fine - as Kyrgios himself has said, the object of the game is to hit the ball where your opponent can't get. Claiming it's disrespectful to the opponent or the game is nonsense. Should drop shots be banned, too?

I'm not convinced he intended to hit Nadal with the ball, again, when you're on the baseline and your opponent is at the net, hitting the ball at them can be a legitimate tactic, if it looks like a better percentage play than hitting a lob or pass. And I believe the shot would have landed in if Nadal had not been there - it's not like he blasted it with the only chance of winning the point being hitting the opponent before the ball lands out. He did raise his hand (albeit briefly) in apology, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post

Yeah, saw that and had a good laugh. Manoman he sure gets snowflakey with umpires, like, way too often. He's one of the few players who, when he loses, it always seems like he's beating more himself than getting beaten by his opponent. Yes, this means he tanks. Not so much today, but in previous matches - hells ya. Surprised as all get-out to hear that prior to today they were 3 - 3 head-to-head.
The BBC commentators (Todd Woodbridge, Boris Becker, and Andrew Castle) were all saying how he should put less energy into that stuff and more into his tennis. Personally, I think Kyrgios is an annoying, rude prick who could do more with his talent, and no doubt could prepare better off the court, but they seem to fail to realise that this whole shtick is his gameplan. He knows he can't quite compete with Nadal on a purely tennis-playing basis, so he tries to wind him up in various ways. More importantly, it gets his own adrenaline going and makes him a better competitor. It's a deliberate tactic on his part, not that he can't control his temper - rather, he's trying to channel it to his advantage. Coupled with his amazing skills, this makes him box office. And I've got to agree with him regarding Nadal's slowness, particularly when receiving. Several times Kyrgios was ready to serve and Nadal was still faffing about at the back of the court. If I were him, I probably would have sent a serve down before Nadal was ready - or would that be a code violation against the server?

There was absolutely no call for him to berate the umpire like he did, though - uncool, unprofessional.

Quote:
Will always be pulling for almost-38-year-old Fed. Maybe the most aesthetically satisfying athlete I've ever watched. Not sure if he has a 21st major in him, but I always hope.
Seconded. Mainly, I really want him to finish with more than Nadal gets to. He didn't really have to get out of first gear to win his first match (though he was unbelievably quick to get on to a drop shot early on, which I think disheartened his young opponent!). So much so the commentators suggested he was lacking in concentration. But he got it done very efficiently, conserving maximum energy.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:09 AM
BANNED

Clearly time to start thinking about a serious, lengthy ban for Kyrgios for all around asshatery, before he does something to really sully the name of the sport- ref abuse, throwing chairs, not giving 100% effort, now hitting players.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:57 AM

Have you actually seen the incident? As I explained, Nadal was at the net and Kyrgios hit the ball hard at his body from the baseline, then apologised. They way you phrased it suggests you think he punched Nadal or hit him with this racquet.

Nevertheless, I agree "all around asshattery" is a pretty good description of his approach. As usual in this kind of situation, the powers that be must be torn between protecting the spirit of the game and banning someone who draws crowds. It has happened many times in many sports.

It was good to see they fined Tomic his entire appearance fee for tanking his first-round match, but that's more in their interests (no-one is going to pay top ticket prices to a professional play way below their usual standard).
Old 07-05-2019, 11:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
Have you actually seen the incident? As I explained, Nadal was at the net and Kyrgios hit the ball hard at his body from the baseline, then apologised. They way you phrased it suggests you think he punched Nadal or hit him with this racquet.
I did- you said you doubt it was on purpose, Kyrgios himself said of course it was on purpose, he tried to hit him square in the chest, hard as possible, and that since Nadal is rich and has many titles, he has nothing to apologize for.

In a couple of years when Federer is gone and Nadal and Djokovic are near the end and with no one else stepping up, he has the talent to reach major finals.

Cant wait to see a Wimbledon final with millions watching across the globe, and he's down two sets and he just quits trying, doesnt return balls and serves underhand, and what happens then.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-05-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:27 PM

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that. Not sure why I got into defending him, we basically agree he is an ass. I do find his style of play entertaining though - much more so than Nadal. He does still have the potential to get to the very top, as you say, but it seems more likely he will squander that chance, he needs a change in attitude.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:51 PM

Really enjoying this Gauff-Hercog match. It might be way too early to say this, but we might be witnessing the breakout of an all-time great. She's just so obviously an incredible natural athlete, and she'll only get stronger and faster over the next few years.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:59 PM

She and FAA are both in pretty rough matches right now; come on, youngsters! And yeah, I'm pretty sure that Miss Gauff is going to supplant Serena within 2 years to be the best the US has. She is simply amazing to watch on the court. And as you note, she will only get bigger, stronger and better over the next decade or two.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-05-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Really enjoying this Gauff-Hercog match. It might be way too early to say this, but we might be witnessing the breakout of an all-time great. She's just so obviously an incredible natural athlete, and she'll only get stronger and faster over the next few years.
The game sure could use one, male or female. The women's game currently is Serena and two dozen or so more who could win a slam and then could just as easily lose in the first round in the next one, And Federer-Nadal-Djokovic with absolutely no one else poised to be a star when they retire.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:15 PM

Congratulations, Miss Gauff! Way to go, Coco!

ETA: Not looking good for Felix, tho.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-05-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:21 PM

Coco WINS!

She showed some mental fortitude in winning today. No reason to not be bullish on her future.

Next up for her is #7 seed Halep on Monday. Halep was the #3 at the French Open, made it to the Quarters and somehow down to the #7 seed at Wimbledon.

Coco is getting great support from the Wimbledon crowd.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:30 PM

No surprise about the support eh:

She's young, so she's different from most other players; that gets noticed.

She's very, VERY freaking good; that gets noticed.

She seems to not be at all a jerk; that gets noticed.

And she's a rookie, the very definition of "underdog", and people love to root for the underdog.

Of course they love her at Wimbledon.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Coco WINS!

She showed some mental fortitude in winning today. No reason to not be bullish on her future.

Next up for her is #7 seed Halep on Monday. Halep was the #3 at the French Open, made it to the Quarters and somehow down to the #7 seed at Wimbledon.
Seeding at Wimbledon is based on performance on grass. Halep is presumably worse on grass than on other surfaces. I don't know if other majors seed based on surface, but Wimbledon definitely does.

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/atoz/seeds.html

Last edited by glowacks; 07-05-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:03 PM

FAA has landed. Good try, Felix!
Old 07-05-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowacks View Post
Seeding at Wimbledon is based on performance on grass. Halep is presumably worse on grass than on other surfaces. I don't know if other majors seed based on surface, but Wimbledon definitely does.

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/atoz/seeds.html
That link says

Quote:
Ladies' Seeding
The seeding order follows the WTA ranking list, except where in the opinion of the committee, a change is necessary to produce a balanced draw.
Checking against the WTA rankings, the seeds match the rankings for Seeds #1-9. Oddly Serena is #10 in the WTA rankings yet seeded 11th at Wimbledon

IMO, any player that would get a benefit of doubt for seeding, it would be Serena. And she is seeded worse than her WTA ranking
Old 07-06-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
[W]hen you're on the baseline and your opponent is at the net, hitting the ball at them can be a legitimate tactic, if it looks like a better percentage play than hitting a lob or pass.
And even more so when you're both up at the net. Common doubles tactic too.
Heh - then again, if you ask McEnroe about this, he might have a word or two about one certain Mr. Lendl. Just make sure you put that hand up in apology, orelse (as my dad once saw at an exhibition match, of all things) you'll have a pissed, glaring Andre Agassi bean an opponent, later, for not doing so.

Somewhat unrelated: ultimate fantasy - an Isner/Karlovic match with Dr. Steve Brule as a centre line judge.
Fantasyland.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
[W]hen you're on the baseline and your opponent is at the net, hitting the ball at them can be a legitimate tactic, if it looks like a better percentage play than hitting a lob or pass.
And even more so when you're both up at the net. Common doubles tactic too.
Heh - then again, if you ask McEnroe about this, he might have a word or two about one certain Mr. Lendl. Just make sure you put that hand up in apology, orelse (as my dad once saw at an exhibition match, of all things) you'll have a pissed, glaring Andre Agassi bean an opponent, later, for not doing so.

Somewhat unrelated: ultimate fantasy - an Isner/Karlovic match with [ulr="https://youtu.be/sVCuKVRMfJs?t=40"] Dr. Steve Brule [/url] as a centre line judge.
Fantasyland.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:02 PM

GodDDAMN! Serena is fucking GOOD!
Old 07-06-2019, 04:01 PM

I'm thinking this should prolly be frowned upon:
Quote:
During a three-set loss to Tennys Sandgren at tiny Court 14, the 10th-ranked [Fabio] Fognini referred in Italian to the “damned English” and said he wished “a bomb would explode at the club.”

More than 1,000 bombs fell in the area during World War II, destroying thousands of nearby homes, and 16 fell on the tournament grounds. One hit Centre Court.

At his news conference Saturday, Fognini said his comments came in the heat of the moment. He said he was upset about not playing well and the condition of the court’s grass.

“If I offended anyone, I apologize,” Fognini said in Italian. “That definitely wasn’t my intention.”
Is it just "bad boy time" at Wimbledon this year?
Quote:
The volatile Fognini, who is married to 2015 U.S. Open champion Flavia Pennetta, also bloodied knuckles on his right hand after punching his racket during the match against Sandgren.

An All England Club spokeswoman said there was no immediate comment from tournament officials.

But the episode will be investigated to determine whether it rises to the level of a major offense, because he is still under a two-year probation stemming from when he insulted a female chair umpire at the 2017 U.S. Open and got kicked out of that tournament.

In October 2017, the Grand Slam Board said Fognini would be suspended for two major tournaments if he commits another major offense before the end of this year.

He was docked a then-record $27,500 of his prize money at Wimbledon in 2014 for a series of outbursts during a first-round victory.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-06-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:34 PM

Brutal - don't know how I made a double post that was eight minutes apart. (AND botched link ) Apologies.
Yeah, Fognini has always given Kyrgios a good run for the money for Most Unpredictable Asshat.
Settling into (PVR'ed) Tsonga/Nadal.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:32 AM

Good job, Coco! At 15 you already did better than lots of people will ever do, and it's pretty obvious you are not yet at your peak! Head high, woman! You done good!
Old 07-08-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Checking against the WTA rankings, the seeds match the rankings for Seeds #1-9. Oddly Serena is #10 in the WTA rankings yet seeded 11th at Wimbledon
I thought all majors were seeded using an identical procedure:

#3 and #4 have a 50-50 chance of being switched
#s 5-8 can be in any of the 24 possible orders within that group
#s 9-12 can be in any of the 24 possible orders within that group
#s 13-16 can be in any of the 24 possible orders within that group
#s 17-24 can be in any of the 40,320 possible orders within that group
#s 25-32 can be in any of the 40,320 possible orders within that group (assuming they still seed 32)

Using this method, there is only a 1/192 chance that all nine of the top seeds would match their rankings.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:04 PM

Go Serena, go!
Old 07-11-2019, 11:34 AM

Serena looked dominant, but so did Halep. Should be a good final.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I thought all majors were seeded using an identical procedure:

#3 and #4 have a 50-50 chance of being switched
#s 5-8 can be in any of the 24 possible orders within that group
#s 9-12 can be in any of the 24 possible orders within that group
#s 13-16 can be in any of the 24 possible orders within that group
#s 17-24 can be in any of the 40,320 possible orders within that group
#s 25-32 can be in any of the 40,320 possible orders within that group (assuming they still seed 32)

Using this method, there is only a 1/192 chance that all nine of the top seeds would match their rankings.
I think you're conflating seeds with their position in the bracket.

In majors, the #4 seed does not always get put in the same half of the bracket with the #1 seed. Rather, as you note, half the time, the #2 and #4 seeds are in the same bracket. So this means, effectively, that the #3 and #4 seeds have equal value, as do seeds #5 to #8, #9 to #16, and #17 to #32. But they are seeded first, THEN placed.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:24 AM

Later today, Federer vs Nadal face each other for the first time since 2008. As great as these two players, hard to believe that they have played each other in Wimbledon in 11 years.

Must watch TV.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

It was "must watch" and it lived up to it.

Federer defeats Nadal in an incredible match, their first at Wimbledon since the greatest match of all time 11 years ago.

So Federer manages to beat Nadal and now what task does he have? Defeat Novak in the final.

If he does it, it will be one of his best grand slam championships.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:35 PM

Got to think Federer would have a better head to head record against Nadal if Nadal was better on grass. Federer is the GOAT of grass and Nadal kept losing in earlier rounds so FED didn't have many opportunities to pad his record against Nadal.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:14 AM

Congrats Miss Halep! Well done!
Old 07-13-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Discounting clay matches:

All matches: Federer 14-10
All finals: Federer 8-3
Grand Slam matches: Tied 4-4
Grand Slam finals: Federer 3-2
Old 07-13-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
Discounting clay matches:

All matches: Federer 14-10
All finals: Federer 8-3
Grand Slam matches: Tied 4-4
Grand Slam finals: Federer 3-2
and on Clay: Nadal leads 14-2

Oddly, Federer's record against Nadal on Clay is bad, because Federer is (was?) a great clay court player. If Federer was a poor clay court player, he would not have faced Nadal as frequently as he did, he simply would have lost before he faced Nadal in the finals (or semis)

Serena looked old in today's match against Halep.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Congrats Miss Halep! Well done!
Absolutely relentless excellence on the return, and total focus. Well played.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
I think you're conflating seeds with their position in the bracket.

In majors, the #4 seed does not always get put in the same half of the bracket with the #1 seed. Rather, as you note, half the time, the #2 and #4 seeds are in the same bracket. So this means, effectively, that the #3 and #4 seeds have equal value, as do seeds #5 to #8, #9 to #16, and #17 to #32. But they are seeded first, THEN placed.
You're right; I meant to say "bracketed." Aren't seeds based pretty much solely on rankings? ISTR when WTA complained because Wimbledon had a "the defending champion is the #1 seed" policy.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:09 AM

Wimbledon is unique among the slams in having seeding that can deviate significantly from the rankings, because of grass court tennis being so different (and so rarely played) compared with the other surfaces.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:36 AM

Great men’s doubles final match.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:20 PM

Anyone watching the men’s final?
Old 07-14-2019, 12:20 PM

Amazing match! Federer just broke at 8-7 in the final set... let's see if he can pull it out!
Old 07-14-2019, 12:46 PM

11-11 now in the fifth set. Could be heading to the 12-12 tiebreaker.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:59 PM

Tie-break is here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2019, 01:08 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

One hell of a match. I get that eventually they need to stop, but a tiebreak still somehow seems wrong.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:08 PM

Wow.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

An all-time great match.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Best match ever. The loser won 36 games (ignoring tiebreaks, 7 more than the winner) and had 2 match points where he could've won but didn't. And the winner of course survived that to win the match.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:12 PM
Suspended

Is there video of the championship points Federer failed to convert? Pretty crucial, but even the longer highlight videos I have seen skip them. Frustrating!