Old 07-13-2019, 10:03 AM

NFL Proposes 18-Game Schedule, But Players Only Play 16?

How does this make any sense?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...lks-intensify/

So with this the owners get their 9 home games for ticket sales ... but fans will have no assurance that the players they’re paying to see will actually be on the field for that game. You could say “Well, it’s just like if a guy got injured” but injuries are bad luck/rolls of the dice. These would be league mandated absences from 2 games every season.

And what if the backup who is subbing for Tom Brady, say, gets hurt during one of Brady’s mandated games off? Can Brady come in? Does that mean he has to sit out another game?

I just can’t see how this is workable in any way. It’s gotta be a gambit, right? A proposal the NFL knows won’t get anywhere so they can eventually foist a full 18-game slate on the players? Tell me this “every player sits out two games” idea isn’t absolutely laughable.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

My guess is it's a financial thing. All the players presumably have contracts based on a sixteen-game regular season. Require them to play two more games and you'd have to pay everyone more. So instead the owners have the players sit out two games; they still get the extra revenue but don't have to pass it on.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:35 AM

as far as the offensive linemen go , the backup QB would not be playing with 5 backup O linemen. They can spread the weeks off for the linemen. I doubt this happens but I guess there is a slight chance it might.

Of course late in the season some teams might not care who plays because they are either locked in or out of the playoffs.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 07-13-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:55 AM

No, I get it that they wouldn’t roll out an entire lineup of backups twice a year - they’d want to stagger the time off over the course of the season.

By my points still stand. What about the family that gets tickets to see Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, but that’s the week he has to sit? What if Chad Henne gets hurt in his relief start for the Chiefs - do they bring in Mahomes (in which case, does that count for his ‘game off’ or not), or is it Princeton rookie John Lovett entering the game?

I know *why* the owners are proposing this ($$$$$$) - my question is, how could this ever actually work?
Old 07-13-2019, 11:02 AM

NBA teams got flak for resting star players late in the season. I think they were warned they could be fined for doing that.

I think they will probably settle for 17 games with nobody sitting out.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Presumably, if they do this, the schedules would be made public. So if you really want to see one particular player, you pick one of the games when he's playing.

It could lead to low attendance for those two games, though, for teams with one specific star.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Presumably, if they do this, the schedules would be made public. So if you really want to see one particular player, you pick one of the games when he's playing.
I'm seeing possibilities here. As soon as rosters are finalized in September, you hold a big drawing, and every player on an NFL roster is randomly assigned two bye games during the season. And, "drawing night" will become a huge TV attraction, and fans and analysts and gamblers will chew over the results for days to come.

"The Bears got screwed! Khalil Mack has to sit out the Packers game!" "Yeah but on the other hand one of Trubisky's byes is against the Cardinals, and even a backup QB can beat the Cardinals."

I'm telling you, people would eat it up.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:51 AM

It won't work. You're noting to put Rodgers out there behind a back up o-line.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
It won't work. You're not going to put Rodgers out there behind a back up o-line.
Of course not. The odds of all five of his starting O-linemen drawing byes in the same week is astronomical (about one in 32,000--and if even that is too great a risk to run, the byes could be organized by position clusters to prevent a team from being weakened too much at any position in any one week.)

In any given week one or even two of Rodgers' linemen will be out on byes, but that's little different from the situation today with injuries.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:18 PM

I think an 18 game schedule could be done, but with the following changes (off the top of my head):

Preseason shortened to 2 games.

Additional bye weeks.

Thursday games ONLY scheduled after bye weeks. Probably a regular thing -- after every bye week, you come back and play a Thurs game.

Expanded roster size, both total and active.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:35 PM

Being the violent sport it is, 16 regular season games really ought to be the upper bound for scheduling. Additionally, with the number of teams and the divisions the way they are 16 is the perfect number.

The owners want 18 games, but they’ll never get it. Even as weak as the NFLPA is they’ll fight 18 games and win.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jocko View Post
By my points still stand. What about the family that gets tickets to see Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, but that’s the week he has to sit?
Unfortunately, same thing as when he injures his knee in pregame warmups or has a concussion- theyd be SOL. The leagues have made it clear when MLB or NBA players rest a day that the ticket you buy guarantees you see a game, not a certain player.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-13-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

The NFL has it perfect. Start the season right after Labor Day and the Super Bowl falls in February once people are done with their New Year’s Resolutions and Dry January and it falls before Lent begins

If we could only get rid of Thursday night games and London games.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:29 AM

Just to add some additional info, the Canadian Football League has been playing an 18 game schedule, with three bye weeks, since 1986.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I think an 18 game schedule could be done, but with the following changes (off the top of my head):

Preseason shortened to 2 games.

Additional bye weeks.

Thursday games ONLY scheduled after bye weeks. Probably a regular thing -- after every bye week, you come back and play a Thurs game.

Expanded roster size, both total and active.
I like this. I mean, I don’t think the NFL should go to 18 games, but if they do, this should be the way to do it.

The problem with this, though, is each team loses one home preseason game while gaining one home regular-season game. Since the teams include preseason games as part of their season ticket packages, this is essentially a wash money-wise (which means it’s very, very, very unlikely to happen).

They should get rid of the Thursday games completely, but if they keep them, using only teams coming off a bye is the only way that doesn’t make a mockery of the league’s “concern” for players’ health.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Unfortunately, same thing as when he injures his knee in pregame warmups or has a concussion- theyd be SOL. The leagues have made it clear when MLB or NBA players rest a day that the ticket you buy guarantees you see a game, not a certain player.
It does seem a bit different to me to not see a player because they’re hurt - or even because the team decided to rest them - as opposed to a league-mandated day off. And I’m still wondering about what happens if the backup gets hurt; does the starter get to come in, and if so, does that mean they need to take another game off later?

Also, there’s quite a difference between 81 home games for baseball/41 home games for basketball and the 9 opportunities you’d have to watch your hometown NFL team.

Anyway, I understand the league’s desire to increase revenue with more inventory. I’m mainly interested in the mechanics of this “everyone must have two games off” idea and how it could possibly pass muster with fans in practice.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:42 AM

Maybe they could play 14 sixty minute games and 4 thirty minute games.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:27 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

The NFL first floated the idea of an 18-game schedule a couple of years ago (and, yes, it is absolutely all about trying to wring every dollar possible out of the game). The idea was quietly set aside when the players' union indicated their opposition to it, because of the increased risk of injury to players -- even if part of the proposal gets rid of two preseason games, bear in mind that a team's starters and other regulars usually play very little during the existing preseason games.

So, this appears to be a bizarre trial balloon, to resurface the idea while addressing the players' concerns. As has already been pointed out, the fans are likely to think this is a horrid idea, and I don't see this going anywhere.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't every NBA and NHL team play at least one home game against every other team in the league every year? Each AFC team plays a particular NFC team at home (and vice versa) only once every eight years.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't every NBA and NHL team play at least one home game against every other team in the league every year? Each AFC team plays a particular NFC team at home (and vice versa) only once every eight years.
Oh yeah i agree, definitely its "not cool", especially with the much shorter season, just that IIRC a fan at least once has made the complaint of traveling far to see a certain player, and the response was, they only guarantee your ticket is for a Packers game, not an Aaron Rogers game. Injuries you cant avoid, and under normal circumstances NFL players dont take games off (unless last regular seasons game), so I would assume they would let fans know Rogers' two games off ahead of time as a courtesy, if this happens.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
so I would assume they would let fans know Rogers' two games off ahead of time as a courtesy, if this happens.
How far in advance? Remember, you are letting the opponents of those games know as well. Does every team have to announce a certain day's "days off" at the same time, or does it turn into a big-money game of chicken to see who announces first?

It's not just local fans; bookmakers and fantasy players would like some advance word on who isn't playing particular games.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
How far in advance? Remember, you are letting the opponents of those games know as well. Does every team have to announce a certain day's "days off" at the same time, or does it turn into a big-money game of chicken to see who announces first?

It's not just local fans; bookmakers and fantasy players would like some advance word on who isn't playing particular games.
these are all valid points you are making its going to be tough to make a reality.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-14-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:27 PM

I’m in favor of doing one or two more games if it means they no longer have a Pro Bowl nobody watches.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:44 PM

This makes even less sense than the proposal for the Tampa Bay Rays to play half their home games in Montreal.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
as far as the offensive linemen go , the backup QB would not be playing with 5 backup O linemen. They can spread the weeks off for the linemen.
But maybe not. Offensive lines work best when it's the same five players out there over and over. They need to work as a cohesive unit. Maybe it would be best to just sit them all at once. To give a fantasy football analogy, there's two main strategies for handling bye weeks. You either try and draft players so only 1 or 2 are out at a given time. Or you try and draft everyone under the same bye week, and just punt that game rather than have a constantly weakened team.

So maybe an NFL coach would do the same. Sit all your starters at once, and just accept the lost.

Not that it matters anyway though:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.1dfac357b0ab
Old 07-15-2019, 04:30 PM
BANNED

Not sure why the league was so strongly behind it in the first place- I am told preseason games are surprisingly fairly well attended (may be wrong but at full ticket price IIRC), and though the TV ratings pale in comparison to regular season games, they often still get better ratings than regular programming. Also the Pro Bowl usually wins its time slot as well.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-15-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Not sure why the league was so strongly behind it in the first place- I am told preseason games are surprisingly fairly well attended (may be wrong but at full ticket price IIRC), and though the TV ratings pale in comparison to regular season games, they often still get better ratings than regular programming. Also the Pro Bowl usually wins its time slot as well.
Looking at preseason tickets on Ticketmaster, they’re typically about 1/3 the price of regular season games.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:07 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Every single NFL regular season game is carried by a major network (CBS, NBC, Fox, ESPN and / or NFL Network), and are part of the league's contract with the networks. Some preseason games are carried by those networks, but the rest (probably a majority) of preseason games are broadcast by local / regional stations, contracted to carry the games by the individual teams.

I will guarantee you that there would be more money in the league's pockets (and, thus, in the teams' pockets) if two of those preseason games were replaced by regular season games, at the higher payout of the regular season TV contract.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 07-15-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:21 PM

season ticket holders have to buy 2 preseason games along with the 8 regular season games. (except for the rare games at a neutral site such as the HOF game)

When the season was 14 games they had 6 preseason games. They just converted 2 of the 6 to regular season games. I doubt they will only have 2 preseason games if they go to 18 regular games.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
season ticket holders have to buy 2 preseason games along with the 8 regular season games. (except for the rare games at a neutral site such as the HOF game)

When the season was 14 games they had 6 preseason games. They just converted 2 of the 6 to regular season games. I doubt they will only have 2 preseason games if they go to 18 regular games.
They’re talking seriously about dropping two of the preseason games regardless of whether or not the regular season is extended. It seems like the player’s association at least is pushing for it.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:47 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
The NFL went to 16 games (and only 4 preseason games) over 40 years ago (in 1978), and it was a completely different league back then.

At that time, NFL salaries weren't nearly as high as they are now (even accounting for inflation), and many players had off-season jobs, because they didn't make terribly much playing football. Thus, training camp was even more important then, than it is now, to help get the players back into "football shape," and it was more important for even the starters to get game action in preseason games, to be ready to go for the regular season.

With the amount of money that even backup players now make, players generally don't need to look to make outside income during the offseason, just to make ends meet, and they can focus on staying in good physical shape. Preseason games are now primarily how teams evaluate rookies and marginal players, and (in some cases) make decisions on who wins a starting position. Generally speaking, starters play little during the preseason, and I suspect that most teams could deal with the elimination of one or two preseason games without much distress.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:42 PM

But no one is discussing the real issue, how will this affect fantasy football? 18 games with players playing only 16, plus probably an extra bye week...
Old 07-24-2019, 04:28 PM

16 games is plenty for a season. This whole sit out 2 games is nonsense. Really? Owners want their playoff chances to rest on the foot of a fucking backup kicker two games a year?
Old 07-25-2019, 09:20 AM

nothing will happen until the next union contract is up to be renewed after the 2020 season.