Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-23-2019, 03:53 PM
Shodan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,598

Mr. Olympia Accused of Sexual Assault


Didn't see any mention of this, but Shawn Rhoden, the current Mr. Olympia, has been charged on several counts in connection with an incident back in 2018.

What I have been able to glean -
  • The delay in charging is due to the backlog in DNA testing.
  • His DNA was apparently matched to that found on the accuser.
  • The accuser reported the incident shortly after it allegedly occurred.
  • Rhoden says the sex was consensual.
  • The accuser says otherwise, and has allegedly suffered a vaginal laceration, which would tend to argue against consensual sex.
  • Rhoden's bail was originally set at $750K but has been reduced to $250K. No idea if that has anything to do with anyone's judgment of guilt or innocence.

Rhoden has been banned from the 2019 Mr. Olympia, and I am not sure of the reason for that. No doubt the publicity would be bad, but he has not been convicted yet.

Anyone else seen this? No trial, and no clear information has been established, but assuming all the above is true, this is a bit more than he said/she said IMO. I know - innocent until proven guilty and all that, but IMO it does not look good for Rhoden.

Regards,
Shodan
  #2  
Old 07-23-2019, 04:09 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 84,413
Quote:
Rhoden has been banned from the 2019 Mr. Olympia, and I am not sure of the reason for that. No doubt the publicity would be bad, but he has not been convicted yet.
The reason is that the publicity would be bad, and the fact that he has not been convicted yet is irrelevant.
  #3  
Old 07-23-2019, 06:30 PM
Blank Slate's Avatar
Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,365
I've never heard of 'Mr. Olympia' but I knew before even opening the thread that it was going to be a black guy.
  #4  
Old 07-23-2019, 06:40 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I've never heard of 'Mr. Olympia' but I knew before even opening the thread that it was going to be a black guy.
I always think of Arnold Schwarzenegger when I hear that title. (Heís the only winner I can name off the top of my head.)
  #5  
Old 07-23-2019, 06:46 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I've never heard of 'Mr. Olympia' but I knew before even opening the thread that it was going to be a black guy.
  #6  
Old 07-23-2019, 06:49 PM
DinoR is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I've never heard of 'Mr. Olympia' but I knew before even opening the thread that it was going to be a black guy.
I bet you have heard of it even if the detail of the competition name didn't stick in memory. Arnold Schwarzenneger won the title seven times. It was his lead in to his movie career as an action hero.
  #7  
Old 07-23-2019, 07:36 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Yes, explain this post. I have a good explanation in my head, and a bad one, though even the good one wouldn't have been advisable.
  #8  
Old 07-23-2019, 10:03 PM
Eyebrows 0f Doom is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I've never heard of 'Mr. Olympia' but I knew before even opening the thread that it was going to be a black guy.
I immediately thought of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

You knew this one was going to be a black guy because...?
  #9  
Old 07-24-2019, 01:26 AM
dalej42 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 14,292
I immediately thought of Tommy Wright who was a pro wrestler and very white and wrestled as Mr Olympia in Mid South wrestling
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42
  #10  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:18 AM
Hilarity N. Suze is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I've never heard of 'Mr. Olympia' but I knew before even opening the thread that it was going to be a black guy.
Really? I thought it was going to be Arnold Schwarzenegger, as he's the only Mr. Olympia I've ever heard of (until this).

Actually I still don't know it because all these bodybuilders seem to dye their skin mega-tan...
  #11  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:47 AM
AK84 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan
The accuser says otherwise, and has allegedly suffered a vaginal laceration, which would tend to argue against consensual sex.
No opinions on the merits of the allegations, but have you seen the guy? He could be gentle as hell, she could have have a dozen notorised affidavitrs indicating consent and you'd probably still find lacerations.
  #12  
Old 07-24-2019, 07:58 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 84,413
[Moderating]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I've never heard of 'Mr. Olympia' but I knew before even opening the thread that it was going to be a black guy.
Yes, explain this.
  #13  
Old 07-24-2019, 11:49 AM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
No opinions on the merits of the allegations, but have you seen the guy? He could be gentle as hell, she could have have a dozen notorised affidavitrs indicating consent and you'd probably still find lacerations.
What? Big guys can't have consensual sex without causing harm? (Which is about the most charitable way I can construe what you said.)
  #14  
Old 07-24-2019, 01:44 PM
AK84 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
What? Big guys can't have consensual sex without causing harm? (Which is about the most charitable way I can construe what you said.)
No, bruises and lacerations are seen after consensual sex at times and at other times confirmed rape cases yield no bruises or injuries.
  #15  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 25,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
No trial, and no clear information has been established, but assuming all the above is true, this is a bit more than he said/she said IMO.
It is he said/she said. DNA doesnít matter at all in a case where the question is of consent and not identity. Evidence of vaginal injury does help the prosecution case but it is not an absolute.

According to the affidavit of probable cause the victim is a female professional bodybuilder and considered the suspect to be her mentor. She was with a photographer but left him behind and went to the suspects room where she alleges the assault occurred. To me there seems to be plenty of probable cause for a charge. As with any of these types of cases itís hard to tell if there is enough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.
  #16  
Old 07-24-2019, 04:45 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 84,413
[Moderating]
OK, after a few rounds of back-and-forth with Blank Slate, I'm forced to the conclusion that his post #3 was meant as a dig against Shodan. This not being the Pit, that is prohibited, and so this is an official Warning for Blank Slate.
  #17  
Old 07-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
No opinions on the merits of the allegations, but have you seen the guy? He could be gentle as hell, she could have have a dozen notorised affidavitrs indicating consent and you'd probably still find lacerations.
What? Big guys can't have consensual sex without causing harm? (Which is about the most charitable way I can construe what you said.)
No, bruises and lacerations are seen after consensual sex at times and at other times confirmed rape cases yield no bruises or injuries.
Of course you can get bruises and lacerations during consensual sex, but that's not what you said. You said that:

Quote:
He could be gentle as hell, she could have have a dozen notorised affidavitrs indicating consent and you'd probably still find lacerations.
This indicates that you think he would always injure his partner. What led you to make that statement?
  #18  
Old 07-25-2019, 08:23 AM
Shodan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
It is he said/she said. DNA doesnít matter at all in a case where the question is of consent and not identity. Evidence of vaginal injury does help the prosecution case but it is not an absolute.
What I meant was that the DNA rules out the defense "it wasn't me" or "I never had sex with that woman". Of course the vaginal injury isn't an absolute - he's only been charged, not convicted.
Quote:
According to the affidavit of probable cause the victim is a female professional bodybuilder and considered the suspect to be her mentor. She was with a photographer but left him behind and went to the suspects room where she alleges the assault occurred. To me there seems to be plenty of probable cause for a charge. As with any of these types of cases itís hard to tell if there is enough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.
All undoubtedly true.

But why she would bring somebody else along if she intended to hook up is another circumstance tending to back her up. She left the photographer in the lobby - apparently she didn't intend it to last very long, or didn't intend sex at all.

And, not to get too graphic, but if she intended to have sex, I would expect her to be more lubricated and therefore less likely to suffer vaginal tearing. The DNA was allegedly Rhodan's saliva on her breast - if it was foreplay, it didn't last very long and did nothing to get her in the mood.

I guess we will see.

FTR, if the thread becomes too contentious, as it seems to be tending to do, feel free to lock it, or just let it die away. If that makes any difference.

Regards,
Shodan
  #19  
Old 07-25-2019, 08:44 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 32,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
I immediately thought of Arnold Schwarzenegger.
I misread "Mr." as "Mt." and immediately figured Zeus was up to no good.
  #20  
Old 07-25-2019, 10:27 AM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 25,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
What I meant was that the DNA rules out the defense "it wasn't me" or "I never had sex with that woman". Of course the vaginal injury isn't an absolute - he's only been charged, not convicted.
All undoubtedly true.

But why she would bring somebody else along if she intended to hook up is another circumstance tending to back her up. She left the photographer in the lobby - apparently she didn't intend it to last very long, or didn't intend sex at all.
I was speaking nothing to whether the allegations are true. From the perspective of someone who had worked in SVU for multiple years I am merely saying it can be difficult to get a conviction. You don’t want to go to trial with 100% riding on the victim’s testimony. Given the information available it looks to me like it’s about 90% riding on her testimony. It’s very possible to have a jury believe the victim but not be able to get past reasonable doubt. That is the biggest problem with prosecuting acquaintance rape cases. Often there is not enough evidence to even charge. Absent lowering the burden of proof in sexual assault cases I don’t know what the solution is.

All I’ve seen so far is the affidavit of probable cause. There may be other evidence that comes out in discovery.

Last edited by Loach; 07-25-2019 at 10:28 AM.
  #21  
Old 07-25-2019, 10:46 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I misread "Mr." as "Mt." and immediately figured Zeus was up to no good.

Is he ever up to good tho ?
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
  #22  
Old 07-25-2019, 11:03 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 32,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Is he ever up to good tho ?
Quote:
Zeus punished men by giving them women.
Dude had a sense of humor!
  #23  
Old 07-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Oakminster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surefall Glade, Antonica
Posts: 19,098
Oh Hell....I thought this was about Jerry Stubbs, who wrestled as Mr. Olympia.
  #24  
Old 07-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Dude had a sense of humor!

I mean, yeah, but even your example's kind of a dick move IME.
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
  #25  
Old 07-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Shodan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I was speaking nothing to whether the allegations are true. From the perspective of someone who had worked in SVU for multiple years I am merely saying it can be difficult to get a conviction. You donít want to go to trial with 100% riding on the victimís testimony. Given the information available it looks to me like itís about 90% riding on her testimony. Itís very possible to have a jury believe the victim but not be able to get past reasonable doubt. That is the biggest problem with prosecuting acquaintance rape cases. Often there is not enough evidence to even charge. Absent lowering the burden of proof in sexual assault cases I donít know what the solution is.

All Iíve seen so far is the affidavit of probable cause. There may be other evidence that comes out in discovery.
I wouldn't dispute any of this - you would know a great deal more about cases like this in general than me.

I am not Rhoden's lawyer, nor a juror, I have never met any of the people involved, and I am not even much of a fan of Rhoden's. I'm speculating based on the evidence to date, which is almost by definition incomplete.

Maybe some startling piece of evidence will come to light proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is guilty as Cain. Maybe the accuser will withdraw the accusation and she and Rhoden will announce their engagement. Maybe Rhoden will plead to a lesser charge, or be acquitted at trial, or be convicted. Who knows?

I am wondering what anyone else thinks of it. If nobody else thinks anything, oh well.

Regards,
Shodan
  #26  
Old 07-25-2019, 03:50 PM
F. U. Shakespeare is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore or less
Posts: 4,163
For those unfamiliar with the sport of bodybuilding, Mr. Olympia is the most prestigious title, even though titles like Mr. America, Mr. World, and Mr. Universe are better known.

In fact, that's why there is a Mr. Olympia: there were numerous titles with the same name (kind of like the different boxing organizations all having a world heavyweight champion) and the promoters of Mr. Olympia sought to unify the title.

I once heard a comedian say that the Mr. Universe contest is unfairly biased in favor of Mr. World, because of the home-planet advantage.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017