Old 07-25-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
In what way are they cheating?
The dead people arenít cheating, obviously, but anyone citing the longevity due to Japanese government records is doing so with inaccurate information. If they did so knowing that the records were inaccurate, and this was a competition, that would certainly be cheating.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
I think we can all agree that the former is much more morally reprehensible than the latter.
Depending on who you killed at least.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
I'm trying to think of a contest where cheating is impossible. Sorta like... when I was a kid, and my brother and I both wanted the last piece of meat/cake/whatever at dinner, my parents would decree that one of us would divide the remaining portion, but the other would pick first. at his was a simple and effective way to prevent disputes. So, is there a game that works on the same principle, where if you try to cheat you only give an advantage to your opponent?
My parents did the same thing. My mother learned it from her parents.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:12 AM

Is it possible to cheat in sex? Like not on your partner, rather somehow fooling your partner into thinking you're much better than you actually are?
Old 07-26-2019, 05:26 AM

Curling. The game is essentially self-governed and even in recreation leagues I've never, ever seen anyone cheat, or try to cheat. Curlers always report any infractions to the opponents; there rarely are any and it works equally for both teams.
You get a lot of respect for telling the other team that you burned (touched) a rock, for example.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I came in to say curling. I have never heard of cheating in curling in my entire life. I'm sure it's happened, but the sport is astoundingly, well, sportsmanlike.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I came in to say curling. I have never heard of cheating in curling in my entire life. I'm sure it's happened, but the sport is astoundingly, well, sportsmanlike.
I guess as the OP is worded, it is possible for this to be be true. It certainly is possible to cheat at curling, but the OP says an activity that people engage in and never cheat at. If the culture of curling is strong enough that the risk from cheating would be so high, and reporting yourself would have long-term (even if not short-term) benefits, then cheating could theoretically be non-existent in the sport. That said, I don't believe it. I'm sure that some tiny fraction of curlers will do it if they are positive no one will know. And probably another tiny fraction in, say, recreational leagues who will try to get away with it off of bluster/intimidation, even if ultimately they get tossed from the league or whatever.

The OP standard is just too high for relying on the honor system, even if it's a very strong one.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:35 AM

And yet.

The culture of self-governance is likewise very strong in Ultimate, but that sportsmanship fades as the stakes get higher. If it ever makes it to the Olympics (fingers crossed!) I'm sure a doping scandal won't be far behind.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 07-26-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Is it possible to cheat in sex? Like not on your partner, rather somehow fooling your partner into thinking you're much better than you actually are?
Blindfold your partner then swap places with a buddy while you go watch the game.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
when I was a kid, and my brother and I both wanted the last piece of meat/cake/whatever at dinner, my parents would decree that one of us would divide the remaining portion, but the other would pick first. at his was a simple and effective way to prevent disputes.
What my sister did was, she would cut the cookie into two pieces - one big and one small. And use psychological pressure to try to coerce me into taking the small one
Old 07-26-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
What my sister did was, she would cut the cookie into two pieces - one big and one small. And use psychological pressure to try to coerce me into taking the small one
My brother probably would have cut the cookie in half, then eat both pieces while keeping the knife pointed at me.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschevsky View Post
I saw a kid cheat in tic-tac-toe just the other day. Their opponent got up to get a drink, and they swapped an X with an O on the board.
That adds credence to a rule I've always lived by: Never drink and play tic-tac-toe.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
In what way are they cheating?

There have been many instances of people in their 70s stealing the identities of their recently-deceased parents in their 90s, for the purposes of stealing their pension payments. I recall reading about one Japanese town back in the '90s where this was quite rampant. There were inquiries made as to why this one town had so many long-lived people, and basically everyone in town just basically lied their asses off about lifestyles&shit, in order to keep the money flowing.