Old 07-15-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Honestly you don’t even have to say “radical militia guy in Utah”, just “guy in Utah”. The LDS Church pretty much owns that state.

And like iiandyiiii, my personal interactions with Mormons have been generally very good. I grew up with a Mormon family across the street and one of them was my best friend, the whole family was always nice. I had a huge crush on a Mormon girl in high school and considered “converting” to get her to date me (but never sank that low).

...Then again if I see two young men in my neighborhood with black slacks, white shirts and ties and backpacks, and riding bicycles, I’m turning off the TV and lights and pretending to not be home.
I'm laughing at your last sentence. We were trapped this weekend when working in the yard.

I have plenty of friends that are Mormon. Same is true of evangelical christians. I still dislike both religions (well, mostly all religions) for different reasons. Just like I have conservative friends and family but I hate the Republican party.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:16 PM

Don't forget the time he mocked an old man's failed suicide attempt because that old man was a anti-Trump.

HD is a piece of garbage.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:53 PM

So, apparently, if someone has ever said anything bad at all about another white person, they cannot be a white supremacist.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...5&postcount=70

Last edited by k9bfriender; 07-30-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
So, apparently, if someone has ever said anything bad at all about another white person, they cannot be a white supremacist.

Awesome! Now I don't have to worry about becoming a white supremacist. That's one more load off of my mind!
Old 07-30-2019, 04:10 PM

It's a head scratcher there to tell if he's defending the shooter against allegations of white supremacy, or white supremacists from allegations that they did this.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
It's a head scratcher there to tell if he's defending the shooter against allegations of white supremacy, or white supremacists from allegations that they did this.
And isn't wonderful that we can't tell. It's the breaking news thread and he can't stop arguing about this bullshit.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post

Hell, back in '62 or '63 the segregationists in Mississippi killed a white guy who lived not that far from me for the sin of working for voting rights. Guess the KKK was really not made up of white supremacists.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Hell, back in '62 or '63 the segregationists in Mississippi killed a white guy who lived not that far from me for the sin of working for voting rights. Guess the KKK was really not made up of white supremacists.
Ah, but did they call him a twat?
Old 07-30-2019, 07:06 PM

Yeah, the breaking news thread made me reevaluate HD. What a twat.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:36 PM

Well you have desensitized everyone to claims of racism and now resort to claiming “white supremacy” is a significant force in American society. You have gone as far as claiming upwards of 40% of the voting public are white supremacists. When a legitimate white supremacist kills some people, the people you smeared as white supremacists for being anti-minimum wage or something may feel the need to defend their mislabeled form of white supremacy. For they have been labeled by academia and the media as white supremacists, and they don’t want to be associated with cold-blooded murderers.

Similarly you will find all types of modern commies claiming actual commies like Mao and Stalin weren’t commies.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Well you have desensitized everyone to claims of racism and now resort to claiming “white supremacy” is a significant force in American society. You have gone as far as claiming upwards of 40% of the voting public are white supremacists. When a legitimate white supremacist kills some people, the people you smeared as white supremacists for being anti-minimum wage or something may feel the need to defend their mislabeled form of white supremacy. For they have been labeled by academia and the media as white supremacists, and they don’t want to be associated with cold-blooded murderers.

Similarly you will find all types of modern commies claiming actual commies like Mao and Stalin weren’t commies.
Somebody is mislabelled as a white supremacist, and their reaction is therefore to defend actual white supremacists in order to defend themselves? And to be proactive about it and jump in and defend faux white supremacists wherever possible.

That is fucking insane.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
Don't forget the time he mocked an old man's failed suicide attempt because that old man was a anti-Trump.

HD is a piece of garbage.
HD really is a deplorable cunt.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yendis View Post
Somebody is mislabelled as a white supremacist, and their reaction is therefore to defend actual white supremacists in order to defend themselves? And to be proactive about it and jump in and defend faux white supremacists wherever possible.

That is fucking insane.
Welcome to the WillFarnaby "fun" house, where all the hideous distortions are reflected in normal mirrors.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl turnip View Post
welcome to the willfarnaby "fun" house, where all the hideous distortions are reflected in normal mirrors.
"objects in mirror are more grotesque than they appear"
Old 07-31-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post

Haven't you heard? Conservatives don't do the commie thing anymore. They like it when commie energy companies give them lobbying fees and interfere in elections on behalf of Republicans.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Haven't you heard? Conservatives don't do the commie thing anymore. They like it when commie energy companies give them lobbying fees and interfere in elections on behalf of Republicans.
Russia and North Korea are our allies. We have always been at peace with Russia and North Korea. And Eastasia.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Oddly enough, a lot of people are saying Melania Trump isn't a Communist though she was raised as one until the age of 22.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yendis View Post

That is fucking insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
And this is why Farnaby and HD are both on my Ignore list.

Honest to Gawd, fellas, why do you even bother reading their posts?? Online, they're a waste of bandwidth. I'm sure that IRL they're a waste of DNA. Stop feeding the trolls.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post

Honest to Gawd, fellas, why do you even bother reading their posts?? Online, they're a waste of bandwidth. I'm sure that IRL they're a waste of DNA. Stop feeding the trolls.
If I didn't read their posts I might forget exactly how bad they are.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:

How else am I supposed to get recreationally angry?
Old 07-31-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:

But there wouldn't be any more online trainwrecks. SDMB trolls are my soap opera.

I can't yell at Trump, so I'll settle for his worshipers.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
If I didn't read their posts I might forget exactly how bad they are.
Read them all you want. Please have pity on poor souls like Capt Murdock and me and don’t live-quote the bastards.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
How else am I supposed to get recreationally angry?
I was going to say that this is stupid but then I re-evaluated myself and realized that this is a big reason why I read the Pit. Damn you and your dark mirror you bastard.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

lol. Truth hurts, doesn't it? That's why he got Covfefe'd.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:55 PM

Lee Marvin's character in The Professionals, when the rich villain calls him a bastard.

"In my case, an accident of birth. But you, sir? You're a self-made man."
Old 08-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

And his sidekick rushes in to say the shooter isn't one of his racist white men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalous1 View Post
Focus on the fact that this is likely one of those bullied, 4chan sociopathic dorks using a political faction as venue to attempt to justify his actions. I don't see the relevance of whether it is a White Male or not, despite the fact a lot of mass shooters are White Men. If these sex based and race based comments were pointed at a different group based on the same stereotyping premise, they wouldn't be allowed or they would shunned and critiqued. Please don't be hypocritical, at least attempt to not be. We all are to some degree, but it is not a good look.
I'm only speaking to a couple commenters, obviously not everyone in general.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Different shooting. Different thread about it. Same question from me, about the typical response from that asshole to the event.
(How dare you impugn the reputation of racist fucknuts!) What is he, their fucking spokesman?
Old 08-03-2019, 07:46 PM

I've never had a burning dislike for HD, but I had a similar 'WTF?' reaction to his posting links to alternative manifesto explanations.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:00 PM

It's kind of puzzling to me. As extreme and hyperbolic as you are wrt the Trump so-called administration and it's consequences, you remain quite naively passive about its enablers.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
It's kind of puzzling to me. As extreme and hyperbolic as you are wrt the Trump so-called administration and it's consequences, you remain quite naively passive about its enablers.
I didn't say he was my favorite poster, but there are more annoying and trollish posters than HD. I don't read all of his posts either, so maybe I'm missing something. In any event, I think I made it clear that I didn't particularly care for his latest contribution on the El Paso thread (or latest at that time). Not sure what's naive and passive about that.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:30 PM

At the risk of repeating myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Old 08-04-2019, 02:32 PM

He’s Mormon. What do you expect?
Old 08-04-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
Most of the Mormons I've known personally were genuinely caring and compassionate folks. HD is far out of the ordinary among Mormons, in my experience.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:38 PM

You should get to know more Mormons, then, and get to know them well.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Most of the Mormons I've known personally were genuinely caring and compassionate folks. HD is far out of the ordinary among Mormons, in my experience.
Same. Not saying there are no Mormon assholes but it doesn’t seem to be the norm.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:10 PM

Ditka doesn't think there's anything to be concerned about if thousands of Americans cheer on white supremacist mass shooters: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...&postcount=124
Old 08-16-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
This kind of misleading presentation is an example of bad faith argument. First, it misrepresents the evidence, seemingly intentionally. Second, you've switched the nature of the commentary - first saying that more people were killed under the Obama administration, then saying it was about the same rate.

I'm giving you fair notice here. I have no more patience for JAQing off, sealioning, other off topic tangents meant to rile people up, or other bad faith arguments. That goes for all threads in the future, including this one. I will bookmark this post and if it occurs again you will be warned.

[/moderating]
This is about Ditka. I feel like we should keep that in mind, and remind Bone of it as often as is necessary.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Same. Not saying there are no Mormon assholes but it doesn’t seem to be the norm.
I suspect that most any group is mostly made up of decent people (except Illinois Nazis), particularly if you interact with them on an individual level. Base on six decades of interacting with people, most of whom aren't assholes.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Second "m" silent?
Old 08-16-2019, 01:19 PM

Troll HD already trying to derail a new immigration thread -- I recommend not engaging with him: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=880511
Old 08-16-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Troll HD already trying to derail a new immigration thread -- I recommend not engaging with him: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=880511
After being notified that he was on troll watch, he deleted his last post and ran away from the thread. And after trolling extensively in the Matt Shea thread, also buggered off after being thoroughly trounced by facts -- though he might be back to either thread if he can think of another threadshit that he judges to be non-warnable. Just in case anyone had the slightest doubt that this fucker was nothing but a sealioning troll.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Rational immigration policy, ergo HD and the squid have no business being in that thread in the first place.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Many of them are nice. I come from sixth generation pioneer stock, but there are plenty of these kinds of assholes there.

Mormons love to compliment each pother on how wonderful they are, and they often put on a show in public.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:13 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Many of them are nice. I come from sixth generation pioneer stock, but there are plenty of these kinds of assholes there.

Mormons love to compliment each pother on how wonderful they are, and they often put on a show in public.

Nice brush you're using there. At which store did you find it
Old 08-17-2019, 01:16 AM

I believe TB is telling you that he was raised Mormon and he bases his comments on personal experience.