Old 08-09-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Ditto. Thanks, k9bfriender.
If you shared it on Twitter, post a link and I'll 'like' it (or whatever Twitter calls it).
Old 08-09-2019, 02:48 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I don't know why, after everything he's ever done, but this picture is sort of knocking me for a loop this morning: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...newday-sot.cnn

I feel like making it into a little sign, and then every time one of my relatives says something Trump-supporting, I'll just hold up the sign. What is wrong with this "man"? I can't even

Awkward!
Old 08-09-2019, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Sorry, I share old-school, by email. At least I don't fax cartoons to people anymore.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I'll give a bazillion DoperDollars to anyone who can provide a photo of Trump hugging a Mexican. Half a bazillion if he's just shaking hands.

Hugging a Mexican man, shaking hands with a Mexican man.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Huh. I know that as a line from a Spanish-language song, "Dama, dama" by Cecilia. Wonder what's the actual origin.
Alice Roosevelt Longworth said it about her father, Teddy Roosevelt.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Okay, this took me about 2 minutes, not that great, but it made me chuckle.
If you wanted to be extremely offensive, you could have him giving two thumbs-up to the drowned father and daughter.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Having read a bit about Teddy Roosevelt, he had some Trumpian traits - he sucked the oxygen out of the room, and everything was always “the best” or “the greatest”.

Of course, their differences are legion. For one, Roosevelt wrote books. It’s not clear that Trump has ever actually read one.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Of course, their differences are legion. For one, Roosevelt wrote books. It’s not clear that Trump has ever actually read one.
Here’s what happened when Trump was asked about his ‘favorite’ author.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
One of the comments was "his base would abandon him if he read a book".

I've told this anecdote before, but during a back-and-forth with a Trumpster on social media, one "insult" he threw at me was "Why don't you go read a book."

The guy was one of the dumbest people I've ever known (someone else once described him as being about as smart as a bag of hammers) and he takes pride in his willful ignorance. In his world, Trump is the greatest thing that has ever happened to this country.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:50 AM
Suspended

Quote:

Oof.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Oof.
Well, Trump can barely read. The author of The Art of the Deal, Tony Schwartz, doubts Trump has read a book cover-to-cover in his entire adult life.

A humorous presentation of the evidence:

A Totally Real, 100% Valid Theory

A more serious look at Trump's literacy (admittedly from a progressive site):

Uh-Oh: Does Donald Trump Know How to Read?
Old 08-10-2019, 02:40 AM

Quote:
I stopped watching after 'Vanity in the Bonfires' because a) hilarious enough, and b) even 80s Trump is a sickening sight, now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
The guy was one of the dumbest people I've ever known (someone else once described him as being about as smart as a bag of hammers) and he takes pride in his willful ignorance.
Reminds me of my former boss, who was the same way.

I'm honestly not sure which if the two should be more insulted by the comparison.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:49 AM
Suspended

The thing is, he did actually at least sound a little smarter back then. I think he was a lightweight who has also lost a lot of brain power over the years.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
I stopped watching after 'Vanity in the Bonfires' because a) hilarious enough, and b) even 80s Trump is a sickening sight, now...

If you had kept watching you would have heard contradictory bullshit and utter evasiveness. Or, to put it in Republican terms, telling it like it is.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:00 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

If it weren't so true, I'd laugh myself silly over this game. (If that link doesn't work for you, try this one.)
Old 08-10-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, Trump can barely read. The author of The Art of the Deal, Tony Schwartz, doubts Trump has read a book cover-to-cover in his entire adult life.
Well, to be fair, I have read that half the adult population has never read a book in their life, outside of school work. I suspect that's the main pool from which Trump voters come.

Data point: I have a cousin who does not read well (dyslexic) and is an ardent Trump supporter. He is also a contractor. When I asked him how he could vote for a man who has a lifetime habit of stiffing contractors he. of course, did not believe it.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:36 AM

how did he get contractors to work for him with that history? I guess there are a lot in NYC so he always found someone to take his jobs?
Old 08-10-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
If it weren't so true, I'd laugh myself silly over this game. (If that link doesn't work for you, try this one.)
I like that in that game, Trump is simply a totally random effect that all of the players have to react to.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 08-10-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:09 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
how did he get contractors to work for him with that history? I guess there are a lot in NYC so he always found someone to take his jobs?

I may be wrong, but I have the impression that at a certain point he no longer hired contractors and built buildings, but simply licensed his name on buildings constructed by others.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Well, to be fair, I have read that half the adult population has never read a book in their life, outside of school work. I suspect that's the main pool from which Trump voters come.
That may well be true, but Trump is the fucking President of the United States and he may be semi-literate. I imagine most of the population that never reads books are blue-collar types who don't read books for pleasure, but they probably read magazines and newspapers and webpages.

Even my auto mechanic friends have to be able to read and comprehend technical manuals and such to do their jobs effectively, especially with cars becoming more and more sophisticated. One guy was kinda complaining to me years ago how he now had to learn software to do diagnoses of modern engines: "Ya gotta plug the damn thing into a computer terminal to see what's been going on".

Trump can barely be bothered to read his daily intelligence reports and even then they have to be a single page of bullets points and he doesn't even read them every day, by most accounts. I've read that before Trump, these were usually several detailed pages. Trump can barely handle a teleprompter.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Trump can barely handle a teleprompter.
Holy Toledo!
Old 08-10-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Holy Toledo!
As an aside, I saw this cartoon the other day:

A veteran angel is giving newbie a tour of Heaven. He points to the barn and says "That's where we keep the cow." He then points to the lake and says "And that's where we keep the mackerel." Pointing next at the outhouse, he says "Well, you can probably guess what we keep in there."
Old 08-10-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:

A veteran angel is giving newbie a tour of Heaven. He points to the barn and says "That's where we keep the cow." He then points to the lake and says "And that's where we keep the mackerel." Pointing next at the outhouse, he says "Well, you can probably guess what we keep in there."
Toledo?
Old 08-10-2019, 03:53 PM

Mrs. Falwell?
Old 08-10-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:

the 45th president?
Old 08-10-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Poop?
Old 08-10-2019, 04:33 PM
Suspended

And at least the Americans of “Idiocracy” recognized the need for, rather than resenting, a president who is smarter and better read than they are.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:36 PM

Moly?
Old 08-10-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Mrs. Falwell?
It took me a second, but dang, reaching waaay back to hustle for the win is Blank Slate.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Dotard just retweeted the "Clintons murdered Epstein l" conspiracy, because times are normal and this is what I want to think about on an early Saturday evening.

https://twitter.com/w_terrence/statu...399967744?s=19

Last edited by JohnT; 08-10-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:36 PM
Suspended

Cite for the retweet?
Old 08-10-2019, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Seriously, Slacker? Twitter not working for you?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump?s=09

Last edited by JohnT; 08-10-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:59 PM
Suspended

Sure it’s working. But you stated a DT retweet and then you just showed the original. Do you expect people to go and search for something when you say it? Why link at all then?

ETA: On the substance, this is shocking and vile even for DJT.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 08-10-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
It took me a second, but dang, reaching waaay back to hustle for the win is Blank Slate.
Yeah, I had to go Googling and I found this gossipy item (assuming it's about this) :

Don, Jerry, the ‘Pool Boy’ and The Times

Quote:
The New York Times has a rather lengthy and Timesian piece out this morning on the on-going mystery of Jerry Falwell Jr, his wife and family and this “pool boy” who they befriended and then put into the divey youth hostel business in South Florida.
Gay? pool boy.
Embarrassing pics of the Falwells?
Falwells staking the pool boy in a gay hostel?
Michael Cohen fixin' things?
Falwell does endorse Trump and helps get the evangelicals on board.
Speculation why Ted Cruz suddenly quits the primary and becomes a Trump suckup (and maybe extrapolate to Lindsey Graham?).

Quote:
That’s where Michael Cohen comes back into the picture. Tom Arnold befriended Cohen, got him on the phone earlier this year and got him to admit that he’d tried to arrange a deal to cover up intimate photos somehow tied to the Falwell family and Granda.

The Falwells’ denials tend to focus on Cohen’s never having been their lawyer – which isn’t really the key issue or necessarily relevant. His MO is swooping in to make problems go away for people Trump wants things from. There are other bizarre details that may or may not mean anything — the jilted business partners who got this whole drama into the courts changed their names — father and son — during the on-going litigation.

It’s worth excerpting the key passage on this front from the Times story in whole …
“There’s a bunch of photographs, personal photographs, that somehow the guy ended up getting — whether it was off of Jerry’s phone or somehow maybe it got AirDropped or whatever the hell the whole thing was,” Mr. Cohen told Mr. Arnold in the recording, which Mr. Arnold shared with The Times. Mr. Cohen never identified “the guy.”

“These are photos between husband and wife,” Mr. Cohen added, joking that “the evangelicals are kinkier than Tom Arnold.” He explained, “I was going to pay him, and I was going to get the negatives and do an agreement where they turn over all the technology that has the photographs or anything like that, any copies.”

But the payoff “never happened,” he said, “and the guy just either deleted them on his own or what have you.”

The NYT article:

The Evangelical, the ‘Pool Boy,’ the Comedian and Michael Cohen

Jerry Falwell Jr. defied expectations when he supported Donald J. Trump in 2016. Now details are emerging about behind-the-scenes maneuvering before the endorsement.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:08 PM

The NYT article:

The Evangelical, the ‘Pool Boy,’ the Comedian and Michael Cohen

Jerry Falwell Jr. defied expectations when he supported Donald J. Trump in 2016. Now details are emerging about behind-the-scenes maneuvering before the endorsement.[/QUOTE]

Forgot NYT quote:

Quote:
But when the time came for an announcement, Mr. Falwell rocked the Cruz campaign and grabbed the attention of the entire political world. He endorsed Mr. Trump instead, becoming one of the first major evangelical leaders to get behind the thrice-married, insult-hurling real estate mogul’s long-odds presidential bid.

Mr. Falwell — who is not a minister and spent years as a lawyer and real estate developer — said his endorsement was based on Mr. Trump’s business experience and leadership qualities. A person close to Mr. Falwell said he made his decision after “consultation with other individuals whose opinions he respects.” But a far more complicated narrative is emerging about the behind-the-scenes maneuvering in the months before that important endorsement.

That backstory, in true Trump-tabloid fashion, features the friendship between Mr. Falwell, his wife and a former pool attendant at the Fontainebleau hotel in Miami Beach; the family’s investment in a gay-friendly youth hostel; purported sexually revealing photographs involving the Falwells; and an attempted hush-money arrangement engineered by the president’s former fixer, Michael Cohen.

Last edited by dasmoocher; 08-10-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Sure it’s working. But you stated a DT retweet and then you just showed the original. Do you expect people to go and search for something when you say it? Why link at all then?

ETA: On the substance, this is shocking and vile even for DJT.
I linked to the tweet he retweeted. Since he didn't quote-tweet it, any link goes back to the original tweet.

That's how Twitter works. Don't know what else to say.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:51 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I linked to the tweet he retweeted. Since he didn't quote-tweet it, any link goes back to the original tweet.

That's how Twitter works. Don't know what else to say.

I didn’t know that. In that case, I would have told the board about it in this way if I were you:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...eories-1456305
Quote:
In his first public response to the death of financier and accused pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, President Donald Trump retweeted baseless conspiracy theories around his death and a news alert citing former President Bill Clinton's previous involvement with Epstein.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I had to go Googling and I found this gossipy item (assuming it's about this) :

Don, Jerry, the ‘Pool Boy’ and The Times
Nah, I'm pretty sure it was a reference to the parody ad in Hustler that had Jerry Falwell, Sr. losing his virginity to his mother in an outhouse. It was the basis of a Supreme Court case about parody of public figures.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Nah, I'm pretty sure it was a reference to the parody ad in Hustler that had Jerry Falwell, Sr. losing his virginity to his mother in an outhouse.
LBJ: “Call him a pig-fucker. Make him deny it.”
Old 08-12-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Nah, I'm pretty sure it was a reference to the parody ad in Hustler that had Jerry Falwell, Sr. losing his virginity to his mother in an outhouse. It was the basis of a Supreme Court case about parody of public figures.
Ah, yes, Larry Flynt. That does go back. I was thinking of Jr and Trump.

In other news, remember Trump tweeting to his base that they should move on from Fox, which hasn't french-kissed his ass enough lately in his estimation I guess, to OANN (One America News Network)?

It's paying off for Trump. A MAGAss FB connection of mine just posted this today:

Recommending "this conservative news channel for those who are done with fox news and there [sic] new agenda.. [sic]"

OANN:

Trump has a new favourite news network – and it's more rightwing than Fox

Quote:
The obscure One America News Network (OAN) makes up for its lack of clout or viewers by covering every Trump utterance, recycling conspiracy theories, downplaying Russian threats, bashing the mainstream media and championing the “Make America Great Again” agenda.

But media watchdogs detect something more sinister about the network. OAN’s Washington team includes Jack Posobiec, once described by the New York Times as “a pro-Trump activist notorious for his amateur sleuthing into red herrings like the ‘Pizzagate’ hoax and a conspiracy theory involving the murder of a Democratic aide”.

Dan Cassino, a political scientist at Fairleigh Dickinson University, said: “He is rightly regarded as someone who represents the worst of the far-right movement online. To describe him as a troll would be accurate. I think he has been thrown off some platforms which, in these circles, is regarded as a badge of honour.”

Cassino, author of Fox News and American Politics, added: “OAN are trying to reach people who feel they can’t trust the mainstream media, they can’t trust Fox News, they can’t trust social media. OAN believe Fox has become too centrist or too establishment.”
Yep, Fox is too centrist.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:22 PM

Wow. When mere misinformation, lies and stupidity just aren't enough.

Last edited by bobot; 08-12-2019 at 02:23 PM. Reason: pl
Old 08-12-2019, 02:44 PM

Suspiciously close to ONAN. Which actually would be a good name for a Trump news Network.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:52 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
Suspiciously close to ONAN. Which actually would be a good name for a Trump news Network.
Beat me to it. I was thinking One New America Network.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Cool, thank you.

Last edited by Nava; 08-12-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Yep, Fox is too centrist.
That's like saying Daily Stormer and Stormfront are too liberal.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
That's like saying Daily Stormer and Stormfront are too liberal.
I just noticed a reply to the original "recommendation". His buddy, who's another MAGAss, said he's been watching OANN since it started.

These are the guys that Russian trolls dream of when they craft their shit. I've known them since high school and I'm not sure which of them wins the title of dumbest person I know personally. At age 18, one them didn't know whether 2 AM was day or night (someone was telling a story and this person needed clarification).
Old 08-14-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Wow. When mere misinformation, lies and stupidity just aren't enough.
If Fox has lost their Audience of One, maybe they'll just say "fuckit...let's actually report the news." Millions of cases of cognitive dissonance result in massive epidemic of cranial explosions.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
If Fox has lost their Audience of One, maybe they'll just say "fuckit...let's actually report the news." Millions of cases of cognitive dissonance result in massive epidemic of cranial explosions.
If FOX went off the air tomorrow, their watchers would assume the wind stopped blowing, and blame it on Hillary.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Dopey Donald flies into a panic as the stock market belly-flops:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpSlump Creator
The Fed has got to do something! The Fed is the Central Bank of the United States, not the Central Bank of the World.” Mark Grant @Varneyco
Correct! The Federal Reserve acted far too quickly, and now is very, very late. Too bad, so much to gain on the upside!

So far, you’ve had Tariffs imposed on 300 Billion Dollars worth of Chinese products, but you can’t tell me that it has hurt our economy...& it really hasn’t led to any kind of serious rise in prices at the consumer level.” @Varneyco
@FoxBusiness
And we are taking in $Billions!

Tremendous amounts of money pouring into the United States," because "People want safety!
Old 08-14-2019, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Dopey Donald flies into a panic as the stock market belly-flops:
'When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!'