Old 08-09-2019, 05:14 PM

Any root beer stands in your area?

I love the old root beer drive ins where they would serve you an ice cold root beer in a frosty mug with burgers, hot dogs and fries. Here in Kansas City only one left - Mug's Up.. Mugs up brews its own root beer an they still have car hops with those little metal change dispensers.

Do you have one of these in your area?
Old 08-09-2019, 06:36 PM

There is one in Anderson, Indiana called Gene's root beer. It's still popular, but the dogs, buns, and sauce aren't as good as they used to be. A bit north of there in Alexandria is a B&K Root Beer. Both are open only in season.

I don't live there much any more, though.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:46 PM

Not root beer, but mountain dew. There was a delightful little coffee shop that I would go to when possible. Then one time, after a three week hiatus, it was suddenly this Mountain Dew themed fast food place. Well actually the food was an after thought. They had about 30 flavors of soda they mixed using a friggin Mountain Dew base. Now there's two of them.
BLECH!

Not since A&W stopped doing the mixing and making of root beer in house at each store jas there been a root beer stand that I know of around these parts
Old 08-09-2019, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post
Not since A&W stopped doing the mixing and making of root beer in house at each store jas there been a root beer stand that I know of around these parts
Likewise. The local A&W was in Springfield Mall.

There used to be a McDonald's with carhop service at Leesburg Pike & Carlin Springs Road but it got turned into your standard MickeyD's several years ago.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-09-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:53 PM

My local A&W shares space with Long John Silver's, and has a drive-through but no carhop service. There's Sonic, but I wouldn't consider what they serve food.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
There used to be a McDonald's with carhop service at Leesburg Pike & Carlin Springs Road but it got turned into your standard MickeyD's several years ago.
I just looked it up. It used to be a Roy Rogers and that's the place which had the carhop service.

https://live.staticflickr.com/3054/2...20cc884a_b.jpg
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3262...b6502012_b.jpg

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-09-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
My local A&W shares space with Long John Silver's, and has a drive-through but no carhop service. There's Sonic, but I wouldn't consider what they serve food.
Can you get the root beer in the frosty mugs or is it just in paper cups?
Old 08-09-2019, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

The last A&W place in my city closed years ago. I remember it as a kid, and it lasted until I was about thirty. I'm almost sixty five now.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:58 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
There is one in Anderson, Indiana called Gene's root beer. It's still popular, but the dogs, buns, and sauce aren't as good as they used to be. A bit north of there in Alexandria is a B&K Root Beer. Both are open only in season.

I don't live there much any more, though.
Union city Ohio, which is about fifty miles away, has a A&W old style restaurant. It's nice.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Can you get the root beer in the frosty mugs or is it just in paper cups?
In my locality, you can get the mug, pay a little extra and you can keep it too.

(Even though I'm not Urbanredneck)
Old 08-10-2019, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

We had two A&W drive-ins until a few years ago, but they both closed down, and the only remaining A&W is a KFC combo that doesn't have carhops and uses BIB for its root beer.

About an hour and a half from here, though, there's Triple XXX Root Beer, one of the last vestiges of what was once a nationwide chain.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:07 AM

our original a&w drive in became a b&K and closed down a few years after that

then we had one that was a regular fast food place and the owner sold it and it moved to the mall and closed down about 4 years after that ....

YUM! brands owned it and they tended to pair it with their other restaurants which is why you see it with KFC and ljs in a lot of places

but dr pepper owns the actual root beer ..the restaurants are a separate company that buys the root beer from dr pepper

heres the history...it sort of follows dairy queens orgins a bit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%26W_Root_Beer

funny thing tho my mom is the single-handed reason that the a&w's around here charged a 2$ deposit for each mug..... shed go in after partying and eat and such and forget to give the mugs back .... she had about 4 dozen mugs at one point....

Last edited by nightshadea; 08-10-2019 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Same here, except it's not local to me, it's just the closest - about fifty miles away in the Houston suburbs. I wouldn't count it as a "real" root beer stand, either. The ones I miss were always in small towns and served the same function as a Texas Stop Sign(aka Dairy Queen).
Old 08-10-2019, 06:18 AM

There used to be an small A&W near us sharing space with a KFC.

But you couldn't get a baby/mama/papa burger there. I loved mama burgers w/sweet pickle relish.

But that was years ago. None left anywhere in the region.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Yes, Rudy's Drive-in They even have roller-skating waitresses

Brian
Old 08-10-2019, 07:57 AM

None that I know of down here in N. Ali-bama, but was home (near Akron, OH) for a quick visit last weekend and ran across an old B&K that's been in the same place for at least 30 years. A big mug of Root Beer and two cheese dogs with fries brought back a lot of good thoughts.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:04 AM

We have a several Stewart's Root Beers in the area. They serve their own Root Beer in a frosty mug.
It is a lot like A&W, not quite as good, though their Root Beer floats are.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:07 AM

A local brewery, Levity Brewing Company, in order to make their brewery more kid-friendly, brews their own root beer. I've tried it and it is pretty good. They also brew their own ginger ale, which parents sometimes mistakenly purchase for their kids. They've added "HOT" to their signage.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
About an hour and a half from here, though, there's Triple XXX Root Beer, one of the last vestiges of what was once a nationwide chain.
I had to check your location because I didn't think you were from Indiana. The only other XXX is in Lafayette IN about an hour from me. Very popular with Purdue students and alums.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:17 AM

Years ago I visited Canada and I noticed the A&W's were bigger restaurants there.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:19 AM

We have an A&W that's fairly close and we also have a drive-in called A & Dubs. It's a family-owned restaurant. They make their own root beer that rivals A&W. Great burgers too.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:53 AM

In Elmhurst IL, at the north end of downtown at York Rd. & North Ave. is this place. Their website says
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburger Heaven
To this day we are proud to say we still serve [snip] the original Richardson Root Beer made in oak barrels.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:

So, nine X's?
Old 08-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Union city Ohio, which is about fifty miles away, has a A&W old style restaurant. It's nice.
It's nice, but the town not so much. Well not the town itself, the people from the town. It's a welfare town with a large drug addict population. I worked there in the 80's and it was going straight down hill even then. I do like the A&W though, I feel like I am living dangerously when I go there. That and the foods pretty good.

Last edited by Si Amigo; 08-12-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

There's a pizzeria in Greensboro (I used to go to one in Winston-Salem when I lived there and it was still open) that is unduly proud of its house-made root beer, but I never knew them to serve it in a frosty glass mug, just a run-of-the-mill restaurant-supply-house stackable plastic tumbler.

They did make good pizza, though. Twenty-odd years ago.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Eddie's Drive-In
Old 08-12-2019, 12:27 PM

There are a couple of old school drive in root beer stands left in town. There's also a Sonic, and while I suppose one could order a root beer there using the car hop service, it somehow seems spiritually different.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:28 PM

Just had dinner at an A&W drive in a few weeks ago and the root beer came in a large glass mug.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

The New Mexico Farm & Ranch Heritage Museum occasionally hosts events at which food is served. There is a guy who sells sarsparilla, root beer, and other "old-fashioned" beverages out of a cart designed to look like a cowboy chuck wagon.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:41 AM

I'm starting to see that along with the craft beer movement there has also been a craft soda pop parallel. Independence Missouri has a place called Polly's Soda Company.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bredin View Post
In Elmhurst IL, at the north end of downtown at York Rd. & North Ave. is this place. Their website says
I SOOO want to try that place!
Old 08-13-2019, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
I had to check your location because I didn't think you were from Indiana. The only other XXX is in Lafayette IN about an hour from me. Very popular with Purdue students and alums.
Looking at the menu, ours sounds much better. Miracle Whip? Ugh. :P
Old 08-13-2019, 08:52 AM

A bit over an hour away, in Middlebury, VT, is an actual A&W drive-in with car hops on skates. Takes me waaaay back.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:06 PM

There used to be a burger joint across from my high school that served ginger beer in a frosty mug. We went there all the time. This was over 55 years ago, and the place has changed owners several times. I don't think they still serve ginger beer.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:54 PM

St Louis here....Fitz's Root Beer ROCKS.

I worked in a place a long time ago that was previously an A&W. Still had tanks and a LOT of glassware in the basement. I have a fair collection including a few tiny sampler mugs.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Besides the Triple XXX (also known as the "Tri Chi), Tippecanoe County boasts two of the 14 remaining Dog N Suds locations. In addition, the Lafayette Brewing Company crafts a root beer to complement its alcoholic offerings.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Looking at the menu, ours sounds much better. Miracle Whip? Ugh. :P
You won't get any resistance from me. I'm an IU grad and Triple XXX is in Purdue territory (huge state rivalry). I've eaten there once and thought it was ok but nothing special, but I can understand their nostalgia.

On the other hand... don't be dissin' the tangy zip of Miracle Whip.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:36 PM

The last one anywhere near here closed 10 or 12 years ago.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

There is a quaint little root beer stand over in Waukesha. My wife thinks there was a Dog n Suds in the same area back in the 70's. I wouldn't know, I didn't grow up around there.

But speaking of Dog n Suds, there are a couple of them across the border in the northern flatlands. Their root beer is pretty good.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:20 PM

XXX Root Beer in Issaquah, WA. I haven't been in years (it's not an area I go to often, and when I do I'm on my way back from a hike, and I usually am more in the mood for root beer without the root). http://triplexrootbeer.com/
Old 08-15-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
We have a several Stewart's Root Beers in the area. They serve their own Root Beer in a frosty mug.
It is a lot like A&W, not quite as good, though their Root Beer floats are.

Stewart's was the one I was thinking of. We used to drive by the one in Rockaway Township all the time, and there was often a line. We never stopped there. Found an article that reports that that location closed in 2018. Growing up we'd stop at the local A&W stand and get a gallon container to take home. Always had a bit of a head on it.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post

But speaking of Dog n Suds, there are a couple of them across the border in the northern flatlands. Their root beer is pretty good.
Yeah, in Illinois there's one in Grayslake and another in Richmond. Looking it up, there's also one in Ingleside, and one way south in Robinson (just a bit south and west of Terre Haute, Indiana.) Never had a chance to go to any of them, though.