Old 08-02-2019, 06:51 PM

How much mass is needed to have a booming footstep?

In kaiju movies and really anything with a huge being, you'll get the thunderous sound of their footsteps along with maybe things moving and car alarms going off. How large do you have to be for the sound of your steps to be audible from a distance?
Old 08-02-2019, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Audible to whom, from what distance? You can make the answer anything you want, by tweaking those numbers.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:27 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Depends a LOT on the characteristics of the surface one is stepping on.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

An elephant can weigh 6 tons. I've been at zoos where elephants are walking around making no more sound than cat. An elephant is the largest land animal, so anything you're seeing in a movie is hyped up for the effect, not a realistic depiction. Think about the energy it takes to create even a low-level seismic tremor. A single animal just couldn't do that.

A herd of stampeding elephants might create ground vibrations that could be detected from a long distance, but not with a human ear through the air.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
An elephant can weigh 6 tons. I've been at zoos where elephants are walking around making no more sound than cat.
I read somewhere that Elephants can hear with their feet and communicate with each other by making sounds with their feet.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
An elephant can weigh 6 tons. I've been at zoos where elephants are walking around making no more sound than cat.

One of my cats weight 18 pounds. When she comes down the wooden stairs she sounds like a herd of elephants. Yet when she jumps on the bed at night, she's silent and light as a feather on her feet, until she plops down on my chest.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:40 AM

Whatever my upstairs neighbor weighs. I am always amazed at how much noise some people make when they walk. It makes me want to give them a scholarship to finishing school.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:20 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Quote:
An elephant can weigh 6 tons. I've been at zoos where elephants are walking around making no more sound than cat. An elephant is the largest land animal, so anything you're seeing in a movie is hyped up for the effect, not a realistic depiction.
Yet, on the other end of the scale, we have this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN_WzpQgDtY
Old 08-03-2019, 02:46 PM

This is a video of some elephants I just filmed on safari in Zambia two weeks ago. You can hear the leaves crunching but to the previous posters' point, they are utterly silent... creepily so. They actually woke us up with their chewing, but it wasn't loud, it was just the loudest part about them.

That being said, I am a near 300# dude and my wife and child are less than half my size, but I walk silently in comparison. I attribute it to stronger calf muscles and being more athletic early in life and generally. We had some contractors in our basement once who burst out laughing when they saw me appear because they couldn't figure out who could have been walking overhead as the footsteps were so light and they knew that my wife and 6 year old daughter had left. So they assumed I was <6 years old and very small and left alone. Then we all had a good chuckle about how loudly they walk.

So, I think as the parrot proved upthread, booming is more about intent than size.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:27 PM

Well, I am small and not particularly heavy. However, I am a tap dancer. I can make a LOT of noise when I walk, even without my tap shoes on. Even barefoot. It's all about the strike. The ground isn't gonna shake, but you'll hear me coming.

I also have two cats. When the two of them get going the ground could shake. Also, they've knocked over chairs. As kitttens, they did this. More than once. Even though cats notably do not have a lot of mass.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:47 PM

I can make quite a boom on a kettle drum with just one finger.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

A horse makes a sound when running that can be heard from a fair distance, although it would take a fair sized Clydesdale, or Suffolk to get to "booming." Bison, on the other hand make enough vibration to be felt in your feet. (If you are near a bunch that are running, that is.)

Tris
Old 08-03-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triskadecamus View Post
A horse makes a sound when running that can be heard from a fair distance
How sure are you that sound is not a pair of coconut shell halves being pounded, hollow side down, on a table?
Old 08-03-2019, 10:13 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
How sure are you that sound is not a pair of coconut shell halves being pounded, hollow side down, on a table?
My sound effects servant knows better. They are to be clapped together under appropriate circumstances.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:16 AM

I'm not at all large, but you can sure hear me coming. I call myself a heel pounder. It's just the way I walk. My son would always say, "I can always tell when mom comes home. I can hear her walking." And he would be in his upstairs bedroom! I've tried walking differently, but I can't. Of course, if I concentrate on my walking I can walk softly as to not disturb someone, but otherwise, I pound away.

I always think of one of my favorite Seinfeld moments:

Elaine was complaining about a guy at work that was always hovering and sidling up to her. She says she's going to give him a taste of his own medicine and sidle up to him.

Jerry: You, sidle? You.....you stomp around like a Clydesdale!
Old 08-06-2019, 10:56 AM

When I was an obnoxious teenager, I was able to modify my walk anywhere from "footsteps of a mouse" to "footprints of an elephant" with little visible difference. I would use this ability to annoy people or not as I saw fit.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:55 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Well, I am small and not particularly heavy. However, I am a tap dancer. I can make a LOT of noise when I walk, even without my tap shoes on. Even barefoot. It's all about the strike. The ground isn't gonna shake, but you'll hear me coming.
I would concur. The same five pound bunny who quietly runs about my living room when he's happy will make an earth shattering ka-boom when he thumps.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

In real life large heavy things hitting the ground tend to make an almost subsonic <whump!>. The Hollywood cliche is largely due to the limitations of theater sound systems; you'll almost never hear realistic gunfire for the same reason.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:46 PM

To me, a reasonable approximation would be when the tree cutters dropped a 20'x7' poplar log on my lawn while removing the tree. I experienced that as a dinosaur-sized boom and was thankful to be elsewhere.

Hard to estimate a weight... maybe 2 tons or so, dropped from about 20 feet?
Old 08-15-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
I would concur. The same five pound bunny who quietly runs about my living room when he's happy will make an earth shattering ka-boom when he thumps.
Same with cats. Not a sound when walking, but they sound like a herd of buffalo when they're zooming around the house like they're possessed.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:10 AM

A fellow hiker claimed that a moose ran by him and it felt like a freight train from the ground vibration. From that I take it is not only the weight but the striking force/speed and foot's ability to absorb the shock. The elephant example has a much different foot then a moose.