Old 08-02-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Alton Brown has not been shot; Alton Sterling was not so lucky.

Thanks for the correction.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Check out this story from USA TODAY: Texas cop kills woman while shooting at dog

Police in Texas say a patrol officer accidentally shot and killed a woman when he fired repeatedly at a dog that was charging at him.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...og/1898825001/
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...olving-officer

Dallas News story on the same thing (doesn't care about Adblocker).

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-02-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

I saw that article. Headline should read “woman shot for laying on grass”. I understand the cop shooting at the dog aggressively running at him. He has mace, he has a taser and so presumably other options, but in a split second he chooses the gun and I can understand that. I cannot ever understand not checking his backstop. If you cannot comprehend that rounds continue to travel, you have no business near a gun. If you ever shoot anywhere near a human being, who is not a threat to you or others, you shouldn’t be near a gun. And this guy shouldn’t be a cop.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
I saw that article. Headline should read “woman shot for laying on grass”. I understand the cop shooting at the dog aggressively running at him. He has mace, he has a taser and so presumably other options, but in a split second he chooses the gun and I can understand that. I cannot ever understand not checking his backstop. If you cannot comprehend that rounds continue to travel, you have no business near a gun. If you ever shoot anywhere near a human being, who is not a threat to you or others, you shouldn’t be near a gun. And this guy shouldn’t be a cop.
Nonsense. This man's pants were in danger of being torn! That justifies any level of force, even nuclear weapons.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:46 AM

NYPD judge recommends firing officer in Eric Garner death:
Quote:
The judge’s findings in the disciplinary case of Officer Daniel Pantaleo were provided to his lawyer and the city agency that acted as a prosecutor at his department trial last spring.

Pantaleo’s lawyer will have about two weeks to submit responses before Police Commissioner James O’Neill makes a final decision on punishment.

“Today’s decision confirms what the Civilian Complaint Review Board always has maintained: Officer Daniel Pantaleo committed misconduct on July 17, 2014, and his actions caused the death of Eric Garner,” said Fred Davie, chairman of the review board that served as the prosecutor.
Let's see what happens on or about 15 August, eh.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
https://700wlw.iheart.com/content/20.../#.XUORaBq8FpU

Video of cops mocking a guy who is mentally ill while he is restrained and dying.
Nothing to see here; that was just police "strategy".
Quote:
Two Dallas police officers involved in the arrest of a 911 caller who died in custody told commanders they mocked the handcuffed man as part of a “strategy” to get him to respond.

Body camera video shows officers pinning 32-year-old Tony Timpa to the ground on Aug. 10, 2016. They crack jokes as he screams, then goes limp and silent.

At a recorded disciplinary hearing, the officers acknowledged mocking Timpa and said it was the wrong approach. They do not identify themselves.

A lawyer for Timpa’s family provided the audio to The Associated Press after obtaining it as part of a federal lawsuit against the officers and city of Dallas.

Three officers were indicted in Timpa’s death, but prosecutors dismissed the charges and they have returned to active duty.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:10 PM

Real cute:
Texas Police lead black man down street on end of rope
Quote:
The uproar resulted in Galveston Police Department issuing a statement to say it had immediately suspended use of the technique.
They're brilliant, they are.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumtrimpet View Post
Real cute:

I just came in to post that. Guy was being arrested on a misdemeanor charge. I'm going to assume the Galveston PD has cars. Could they not have waited a bit for a car to get there?

And this was a technique they trained in. I wonder what situations they might "legitimately" use this in.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Real cute:

Just a few bad apples orchards.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Kenneth French's parents, Russell and Paola, are both awake and aware their son was killed. That's about all the new information I found tho.
There better be video that shows him being beaten while he was unconscious or something similar because this does not make any sense.
There is video, but we aren't gonna see it or know what it shows for a year.
Quote:
A Riverside County judge has temporarily sealed from public view the surveillance video that shows an off-duty Los Angeles police officer, who claimed he was under attack, fatally shooting an unarmed, mentally disabled man and seriously wounding his parents at a Costco in Corona in June.

The order, signed July 22, was sought by the Riverside County District Attorney’s office, which is conducting the criminal investigation of the shooting. The judge’s one-year order, which limits viewing of the video to law enforcement officials, begins with the day of the shooting, June 14.

Release of the video “would substantially interfere” with that investigation, Riverside County Superior Court Judge Eric Keen wrote. He also cites the “graphic nature” of the video and “significant public attention to the shooting.”
I'm split on this one. On one hand, I can agree with not wanting to taint the jury pool. On the other hand, it smells of cover-up.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post

I'm split on this one. On one hand, I can agree with not wanting to taint the jury pool. On the other hand, it smells of cover-up.
I"m thinking it's along the lines of "If we let the public see that the off-duty police shot these people for no good reason, it would make it really hard for him to get off scot-free. Best wait until the trial is over and I'm retired."
Old 08-06-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Keen said release of the video before the investigation is done “reasonably could result in harm to the suspect, who is out of custody

Hmmm. In other words, the video clearly shows that the suspect is guilty as hell, and we're afraid that if we show the public, they will see this. And the public might get upset that police officers, even when off duty, are allowed to shoot and kill whoever they please.

But then again, it will serve to prevent an appeal on grounds that the jury was biased. So there's that.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
I"m thinking it's along the lines of "If we let the public see that the off-duty police shot these people for no good reason, it would make it really hard for him to get off scot-free. Best wait until the trial is over and I'm retired."
+1
Old 08-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Real cute:

I didn't see your post until after I posted this thread. Oh, and of course our latest racist/nazi/piece of shit posted a nonsensical comment in that thread already.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I didn't see your post until after I posted this thread. Oh, and of course our latest racist/nazi/piece of shit posted a nonsensical comment in that thread already.
Where do all these fuckers come from???
Old 08-07-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Four basic rules of gun safety you need to live by before ever touching a gun:

1) Always assume a gun is loaded, even if you know it’s not, treat it as if it is.

2) Never aim your gun at anything you aren’t willing to kill or destroy.

3) Keep your finger off the trigger until you are going to pull it.

4) Always know what is behind or near your target.

Law enforcement professionals out of all people should have that drilled into them.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Four basic rules of gun safety you need to live by before ever touching a gun:

1) Always assume a gun is loaded, even if you know it’s not, treat it as if it is.

2) Never aim your gun at anything you aren’t willing to kill or destroy.

3) Keep your finger off the trigger until you are going to pull it.

4) Always know what is behind or near your target.

Law enforcement professionals out of all people should have that drilled into them.
It's ironic, that in the military where you may be possibly EXPECTED to kill someone (the enemy), those rules are damn near beaten into everyone on a constant basis.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:35 PM

Now, in Illinois, the police - dressed in fatigues like they're GI Joe - busted into a place with flash bang grenades, to excuete a search warrant... looking for the boyfriend of the woman who lives there. In the process they shot her 12 year old son, who was in bed with his hands up. WTF.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/08...ng-gone-wrong/

"The CBS 2 Investigators have uncovered several bad Chicago police raids that have traumatized children, and now Worship is describing how her family was hurt.
“I have nightmares and I stay up all night, because I think they’ll come back,” she said.
Twelve-year-old Amir Worship had surgery and faces a long rehabilitation. His mom said is now terrified of police. She moved him to Texas.
Police in Country Club Hills said they are awaiting an investigation by the Illinois State Police and have no comment. The Richton Park police chief has not returned CBS 2’s calls.
As for the charges against Crystal Worship’s boyfriend, they were dropped."

Last edited by SteveG1; 08-08-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
No
As for the charges against Crystal Worship’s boyfriend, they were dropped."[/i]
That was big of them.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 08-08-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Now, in Illinois, the police - dressed in fatigues like they're GI Joe - busted into a place with flash bang grenades, to excuete a search warrant... looking for the boyfriend of the woman who lives there. In the process they shot her 12 year old son, who was in bed with his hands up. WTF.
Seems to have been an accident, but goddamn--Special Weapons And Tactics ought to include flashlight training.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
Seems to have been an accident, but goddamn--Special Weapons And Tactics ought to include flashlight training.
There are, and have been, far too many "accidents".
Old 08-09-2019, 02:16 PM

A guy in line at a convenience store tries to chat with a cop about how to join the department. The cop beats his ass and tries to arrest him.

Allegedly, I should say. There is video, but it has not been made public.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...3d70f5704.html
Old 08-09-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
A guy in line at a convenience store tries to chat with a cop about how to join the department. The cop beats his ass and tries to arrest him.

Allegedly, I should say. There is video, but it has not been made public.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...3d70f5704.html
This sounds like another roided up douchebag with s badge and a gun. Why have your belt on while wearing t-shirt and shorts.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:28 PM

So a black guy wanted to buy a Michigan cop's house...until he found out said cop belonged to the KKK.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...se-suspension/
Old 08-10-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post

Sweep it under the rug, and in time, just act like it never happened. Yup.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
So a black guy wanted to buy a Michigan cop's house...until he found out said cop belonged to the KKK.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...se-suspension/
Nitpick: There's no evidence that the cop belongs to the KKK. What the man found in the house was a framed KKK application form from the 1920s.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmanese View Post
Nitpick: There's no evidence that the cop belongs to the KKK. What the man found in the house was a framed KKK application form from the 1920s.
I stand corrected.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
"… His mom said is now terrified of police. She moved him to Texas.…"
Wait, what? Texas? Texas?
Old 08-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmanese View Post
But he has killed a black person.
The newspaper reported that Anderson was cleared of fatally shooting a black man, Julius Johnson, 23, following a traffic stop in 2009. Johnson had scuffled with Anderson, who was beaten in the head. Anderson said he feared for his life, according to the findings of an investigation report created by then-Muskegon County Prosecutor Tony Tague.

Last edited by Muffin; 08-11-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:28 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Is a 1920s style KKK application the sort of artifact that should be saved? I honestly don't know.

While it might belong in a museum, it is not the sort of thing most people would display in their home.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Is a 1920s style KKK application the sort of artifact that should be saved? I honestly don't know.

While it might belong in a museum, it is not the sort of thing most people would display in their home.
I have a bunch of medical memorabilia; old pharmacy advertisements for cocaine, scripts for cannabis containing nostrums, prohibition alcohol prescriptions, old condoms, etc. They are interesting collectibles.

Then there are people who collect KKK krap, old time advertisements featuring grinning black kids, etc. Those collectibles are owned by people with an agenda.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Then there are people who collect KKK krap, old time advertisements featuring grinning black kids, etc. Those collectibles are owned by people with an agenda.
If that's all they collect, then yeah, probably. I don't personally have any Klan stuff, but that's only because I haven't run across any. I do have some Nazi relics, though. They sit near my clown college memorabilia and my one Cabbage Patch Kid.

I like to hold the Nazi button in my hand and imagine the guy who first received it. Imagine the world he lived in. It's like having a looking glass into an alien civilization.

I'd do the same with a KKK piece. I can't conceive of that mindset, even though I've known people much like them.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
It's not so much the collecting but the displaying.

As a historian, I believe that stuff like this needs to be preserved, not just for academic purposes, but as a tangible reminder of how things used to be, and of how things have changed. The Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia is a good example of how to display and contextualize a collection like of this sort of stuff.

But there's a difference between collecting stuff like this and putting it in a frame in your bedroom. That smacks of a particular set of priorities, to me anyway.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:52 AM

Jesus.
Quote:
In 2011, 200 women serving sentences at the Lincoln Correctional Center in Lincoln, Illinois, woke one morning to a tactical team in riot gear, who rounded them up, handcuffed them, and herded them to the gymnasium. Eventually, the women were taken in groups of four to 10 to the adjoining beauty shop and bathroom, where they were told to take everything off—for what, they weren't sure. That included menstrual products, so some women began to bleed onto the floor.

One by one, prisoners were forced to turn around, bend over, and spread their anal and vaginal cavities for inspection. The reason? A non-required training exercise for cadets.

<snip>

A federal court decided in July that the incident did not violate the Fourth Amendment, which protects against unreasonable searches and seizures. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit ruled 2-1 that, because the women did the touching themselves, their right to privacy was not violated.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:01 AM

Cops in Royal Oak Michigan stop and question a black man for looking at a white woman.
https://www.wxyz.com/news/black-man-...ciously-at-her
Old 08-15-2019, 08:03 AM

Last night a guard at an ICE prison in Rhode Island drove his truck into a group of protesters. Fortunately no one was seriously injured.

https://twitter.com/lachancenaomi/st...182799873?s=19
Old 08-15-2019, 08:57 AM

^ Unfortunately the jerk wasn't arrested. Nor were his pepper-spraying friends. I wonder why?
Old 08-15-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
That's the kind of shit that needs a Louis Armstrong "What A Wonderful World" soundtrack.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
A Colorado family is calling for an independent investigation into the death of their son, De’Von Bailey, 19, who was fatally shot in the back while running from police. Graphic body camera footage shows Colorado Springs Police Department Sergeant Alan Van’t Land and Officer Blake Evenson firing their guns as Bailey flees. The officers said they fired thinking Bailey was reaching for a gun.
https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/devon-bailey/
Old 08-16-2019, 12:49 PM

Here is the full video of the Bailey shooting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfz4IGMlh0g
Old 08-16-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
Here is the full video of the Bailey shooting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfz4IGMlh0g
At 11:11, he's pretty clearly reaching into his waistband for something, and it turns out that he did have a gun. He's also pretty clearly trying to run away.

Without more information, I'd conclude that a stupid, frightened kid was just trying to get away, but he did the worst thing he could possibly do by reaching for his gun.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Last night a guard at an ICE prison in Rhode Island drove his truck into a group of protesters. Fortunately no one was seriously injured.

https://twitter.com/lachancenaomi/st...182799873?s=19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
^ Unfortunately the jerk wasn't arrested. Nor were his pepper-spraying friends. I wonder why?
And today, Lou Dobbs says the man (Captain Thomas Woodworth, since placed on administrative leave) was within his rights to drive through those protesters. The guard's actions and Lou Dobbs' comments remind me that not too long ago, quite a few people were saying that they thought anyone should be allowed to drive through protesters if they were blocking a road.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
And today, Lou Dobbs says the man (Captain Thomas Woodworth, since placed on administrative leave) was within his rights to drive through those protesters. The guard's actions and Lou Dobbs' comments remind me that not too long ago, quite a few people were saying that they thought anyone should be allowed to drive through protesters if they were blocking a road.

And it was evidently not big enough a deal, despite at least one elderly protester getting a broken leg from the collision, for the local police to take statements.

Quote:
Regunberg alleges local police refused to take witness statements on the scene, despite protesters “clamoring, asking, demanding,” to give them. The Central Falls Police Department did not immediately respond to a phone call for comment, but a spokesman with the Rhode Island State Police, which has now taken over the investigation, says he was “not aware” of any officers not taking statements.

Last edited by GreysonCarlisle; 08-16-2019 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added link
Old 08-16-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
And it was evidently not big enough a deal, despite at least one elderly protester getting a broken leg from the collision, for the local police to take statements.
They're covering it on MSNBC tonight. Ali Velshi (sp?) is subbing for Chris Hayes and it's one of their stories.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
They're covering it on MSNBC tonight. Ali Velshi (sp?) is subbing for Chris Hayes and it's one of their stories.
Story up next. Ali's lead in is that the officer has resigned.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:47 PM

If protestors blocked my way to work I’d be pissed. I’d call the cops. I’d hope that they’d make the people disperse and arrest any who failed to do so. But for crying out loud, running your vehicle into them? That’s insane.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
If protestors blocked my way to work I’d be pissed. I’d call the cops. I’d hope that they’d make the people disperse and arrest any who failed to do so. But for crying out loud, running your vehicle into them? That’s insane.
Peaceful protest is a right in this country. Protest is supposed to inconvenience people. That's how you help bring attention to problems that need fixing. The protesters were doing nothing wrong. They were just sitting there. Yes, blocking the entrance to the employee parking lot, but parking in a lot ain't a right, it's a privilege.

Not only that, but there was no need to call the cops because the local police were already on the scene, and had been for a while. The police officers at the scene did nothing. They didn't try to make the protestors move or try to arrest them. Sadly, they also did not apprehend the corrections officer nor did they take witness statements after the assault. And that last is a very troubling failure on their part.
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

Pantaleo fired. Finally!
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

Good call by the NYC police commissioner. It won't bring Mr. Garner back, but at least a cop who behaved recklessly is no longer a menace.
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Lets not celebrate just yet. I'm sure that the police union will decry this unduly harsh and unfair decision.