Old 08-11-2019, 11:38 PM

Infrequent stabbing pain ó very brief ó in eye. Anyone else?

Does this happen to any of you, or to someone you know?

A few times a year, maybe roughly every 3 to 5 months, I get a sudden, very brief, stab of sharp pain in my eye. Itís like a flash of lightning (the pain is; my vision does not change). It quickly comes, and quickly goes away. The pain comes sharply, like a quick stab at a single point, and the pain quickly dissipates over the course of about 2 seconds and then itís completely gone, no lasting effects, as if it never happened at all. But it did, it certainly did.

It happened tonight at dinner, in my right eye. I think it has happened in both eyes (but only one at at time), but Iím not sure. IIRC this has been happening for about 2-3 years, but itís quite infrequent.

Itís bizarre.

Anyone know what this might be? And yes I know weíre not all doctors and Iím not looking for any official med advice.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-2019, 11:51 PM

Put the pen down before taking a drink???

Other than that I got nuttin'
Old 08-12-2019, 12:22 AM

Yeah yeah, or take the long spoon out of my ice tea glass before I take a drink. I’ll try that too.

But seriously folks, it’s kinda bizarre. And I’m glad the sharp pain is very brief, because it is severe!
Old 08-12-2019, 12:56 AM

I don't know nuthin' bout no doctorin', but I get sharp pains in my eyes when they are strained by too much reading or computer use. It's usually my left eye. If I rest them I'm soon recovered.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:03 AM

My wife. For looking.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:07 AM

They sound like ice pick headaches. Here's an overview. It reviews what they are, causes, treatments, and so on. It would be a good idea to mention them to your doctor, as some of the underlying causes may be serious.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I don't know nuthin' bout no doctorin', but I get sharp pains in my eyes when they are strained by too much reading or computer use. It's usually my left eye. If I rest them I'm soon recovered.
Definitely could be a factor. Yes the pain is bad, bad, bad, Beckdawrek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
My wife. For looking.
Clearly your technique is off. She shouldnít know that youíre even looking. I perfected my technique at college (University of California at Santa Barbara) where thereís lots of eye candy. Many are (were) Scarlet Johansson look-alikes, UCSB = UC Sexy Blondes and all that, and back in the 1980s many were exploring their sexuality and freedom, and I was happy to assist. You got to work it, Gatopescado, work it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
They sound like ice pick headaches. Here's an overview. It reviews what they are, causes, treatments, and so on. It would be a good idea to mention them to your doctor, as some of the underlying causes may be serious.
Thanks but not quite ó the pain is directly on the eyeball, not around the eyeball or temple. However yes Iíll mention this to my docs, to both my PCP and my eye doc.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

This is why you have an eye doctor.
These are your eyes.
If it’s a sharp pain, why would you delay?
Make an appointment today.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:34 AM

Good point, elbows.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:58 AM

I'm Diabetic, Type 2, and I get yearly ophthalmologic, comprehensive eye exams. Eyes are truly delicate organs, and we depend on them for damn near everything. My yearly exam is excruciatingly detailed. I tell people the doctor shines a searchlight in my eyes, then takes off his shoes and socks and crawls inside and walks all over the place.

It's not fun.

Afterwards, I'm given directions as to what to watch for: flashing lights, loss of vision, and/or pain. Any of those symptoms, it's like getting a Monopoly card. Go to the doctor, go directly to the doctor, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Start with your Primary Care doc. If you are then referred to an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist), make the appointment soonest, then GO.

Most likely, it's no biggie. But eyes are too precious to risk.

~VOW

Last edited by VOW; 08-12-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:11 AM

^^VOW-
I hear you. Hate the diabetic ophthalmologist. I do it because I must, but I don't have to like it. Next to feet I think eyes are the things that they worry about most, at my clinic. After they are aghast at my feet, the next question is "Have you had any vision changes?"
OP see your doctor.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 08-12-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Thanks but not quite ó the pain is directly on the eyeball, not around the eyeball or temple. However yes Iíll mention this to my docs, to both my PCP and my eye doc.
I get them where it feels like something has been driven right through my eye. The location varies for everyone, is what I'm saying. I hope you get this figured out. Weird head pains are the worst.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
This is why you have an eye doctor.
These are your eyes.
If itís a sharp pain, why would you delay?
Make an appointment today.
A co-worker of mine learned that her "eye strain" was in fact retinal neovascularization and could have cost her her vision in that eye had it gone unchecked.

Go.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
You got to work it, Gatopescado, work it!
There are two words in this sentence that don't play well together.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:23 AM

Say, It?
Old 08-13-2019, 02:20 AM

I totally understand why'd you come here to ask - we all get weird aches and pains, and sometimes you need some validation from others.

But of course, you know what the answer is. Anything to do with the eyes could be serious (either for the eyes, or the brain behind them). Doctor is your first port of call.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Could just be dry eye. We sit for long periods staring at a computer screen without blinking at our normal rate. It's a good idea to use artificial tears from time to time.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:05 AM

It sounds very much like dry eye that has gone untreated for too long. Do your eyes occasionally feel tired, like from eye strain? Or gritty like there is something in your eye? Let that go on for too long, and whammo! suddenly brief, intense stabbing pain.

This often happens as you get older, and your tears do less to lubricate your eyes than in your youth. Sometimes can be made worse by seasonal allergies, or by sleeping with a fan on or similar.

Get thee to an eye doctor. Prolonged untreated dry eyes can do lasting damage.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:11 PM

My stabbing pain is very consistent. Every time I am stabbed, I feel pain.