Old 06-15-2019, 01:22 AM

A mouse in the house

A while ago, I was working upstairs, and my husband was asleep in the bedroom. The cat, downstairs, started meowing loudly. She wouldn't stop. I tried to engage her verbally, to let her know that I was upstairs. She still meowed quite loudly. This behavior was not typical of her, and it occurred to me that maybe something was wrong, that perhaps she was sick or injured in some way.

I was about to go downstairs, when she came up and was furiously engaged with something in the corner of the hallway. I couldn't see what it was, until she brought it out and dropped it onto the bedroom floor, next to the bed.

It was a dead mouse, about 2 inches long, not counting the tail. We had never had any critter in the house larger than an occasional centipede, years ago. It must have gotten in when the DirecTV installer had the patio door open. I spent the next 5 minutes disposing of the still-warm body and praising the cat for the good job she'd done.

My husband slept through the whole thing.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:08 AM

Our cat, Sabrina, is also a good mouser. Many's the time I've gone out to feed her and found a little corpse (or maybe just that mysterious green-grey organ) brought up onto the doorstep for me to inspect. We call her The Mighty Hunter.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:38 PM

In one of my old apartments in NYC, I used to get very tiny mice, about the size of my fingernail. One of my cats loved to leave them, still semi-alive, in my shoes.

The cat in the OP, by the way, has been declawed. Still a good mouser.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

When I was at uni I lived in an old Victorian rambler of a house, one night a bat came in through the old fireplace! Yikes! The house was segmented into apartments in such a way that there was no easy exit available. So it just kept swooping up to the high ceiling then down near the floor, no doubt seeking an Exit! I ran out onto the porch to get away from it and our cat, who was out there became interested in what all the commotion was about and headed inside to see for himself.

Once in the room he immediately assumed that tiger like, ready to spring crouch. On the next swoop downward he snatched it right out of the air, put it into his mouth and went and stood at the door to go out! When I let him out he went two feet onto the porch and, with one or two crunches, ate the bat! The whole process took less than a minute I swear!

BEST house pet EVER !
Old 06-15-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

If you say it with a Canadian accent, is it a moose in the hoose that wants to get oot?
Old 06-15-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

It's lucky Bruce Wayne didn't own a cat.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

My cat Atilla caught a mouse last night. It was alive, at first, as the cat was toying with it. I tried to get it from him, to kill it myself, but he grabbed it again and ran off. I hope he ate it and disposed of it that way. Once, several years ago, he left the back end of a mouse for me to find, back feet, tail, and a few guts.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
If you say it with a Canadian accent, is it a moose in the hoose that wants to get oot?
Ah, the majestic mouse.

A mouse once bit my sister.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

You want this.

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Humane...54480505&psc=1

They work, trust me on that.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:57 PM

Humane, hell. Any mouse inside a house deserves to DIE.

Congrats on the kitty being a good baby!

~VOW
Old 06-16-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
When I was at uni I lived in an old Victorian rambler of a house, one night a bat came in through the old fireplace! Yikes! The house was segmented into apartments in such a way that there was no easy exit available. So it just kept swooping up to the high ceiling then down near the floor, no doubt seeking an Exit! I ran out onto the porch to get away from it and our cat, who was out there became interested in what all the commotion was about and headed inside to see for himself.

Once in the room he immediately assumed that tiger like, ready to spring crouch. On the next swoop downward he snatched it right out of the air, put it into his mouth and went and stood at the door to go out! When I let him out he went two feet onto the porch and, with one or two crunches, ate the bat! The whole process took less than a minute I swear!

BEST house pet EVER !
I seem to remember that in one of Lewis Carroll's "Alice" tales, the heroine gets herself tied in verbal knots wondering "Do cats eat bats?" and / or the other way round.

Here's her answer !
Old 06-16-2019, 08:13 PM

Panache45, Unless you want more mice, you might want to look at the hole the DirecTV installer drilled in the house to snake the cable through. If it is not sealed well, you might just have a mouse highway.

I am proud of your cat she is a keeper!
Old 06-16-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Willys View Post
Panache45, Unless you want more mice, you might want to look at the hole the DirecTV installer drilled in the house to snake the cable through.
If that's how the mouse got in, chances are quite good that the cat is already looking at that hole. Because she does want more mice.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:29 PM

We had two half-sister cats. Same Tom, different mothers.

One was an excellent hunter and could catch insects or the occasional mouse, but loved to play with the things rather than finished them off.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Willys View Post
Panache45, Unless you want more mice, you might want to look at the hole the DirecTV installer drilled in the house to snake the cable through. If it is not sealed well, you might just have a mouse highway.
Yes, since the mouse episode there have been two large centipedes. And those are just the ones I know about. Time to patch that hole.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:31 AM

I was just down in the basement, and witnessed something scurrying away. All I got a chance to see was a long black tail before it disappeared. Probably another mouse. So they're somehow coming in through the basement. With all the hidden nooks and crannies, good luck trying to find their entrance locations.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:22 AM

Or it came in the other hole and found its way to the basement. Actually, did the DirecTV installer put boxes in more than one room? There may be more than one hole drilled into the house.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:52 AM

No, there's only one hole, and it's too small for a mouse. We live in an 80yo house, and the basement has areas that are totally inaccessible, but may be hiding entranceways for a mouse. But we've never had this problem before. The basement door is kept closed, and it's flush with the floor. I'm not even sure whether what I saw was a mouse. It could have been some kind of small lizard; all I saw was a long black tail.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:51 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

We had a rat chew through A/C wires; I foamed the hole in cinder block where the wires entered the house.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:48 AM

I noticed a furry little intruder in my living room just the other night. I already had a couple of glue traps still deployed from the last time I had such a problem, and I was able to bolster that with a spare pack I hadn't needed to open, so I think my defenses are in pretty good shape. Now I just sit in anticipation of hearing some anguished squeaking.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:00 AM

Do you get off on that? Highlight of your day? As far as I'm concerned it is absolutely sickening, and you sound deranged.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Reminds me of the Sylvester cartoon where Sylvester lives in a Scottish lighthouse as Hippety Hopper, the baby kangaroo, washes up on the rocks.

"SYLVESTER! THE CRAZY MOOSE IS LOOSE IN THE HOOSE!"

https://youtu.be/MHAa0oNMu9I
Old 08-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
No, there's only one hole, and it's too small for a mouse.
There are fewer holes too small for a mouse than you might think. Just saying.

Leet the Apex PredatorTM is better than a cat, because he doesn't play with the mouse. It's just pounce-crunchcrunch-swallow-burp-next? I used to worry that it would upset his digestion, but nope. Nummy crunchy goodness, plus the realization that he is being Good Dog and getting rid of That Which Scares Mrs.Shodan. Everyone is happy, except the mouse.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-14-2019, 01:51 PM

Every house can get mice, I've known people with brand-new expensive houses that got mice within 6 months. Just be happy you've got a good mouser. Otherwise once you see signs of a mouse keep mousetraps set in areas where you've seen mouse poop and check them every week or two.