Old 08-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

The show cut off after Undisputed Era helped Cole out of the ring, almost at 11:00p EST exactly. About the only negative of the show was that it wasn't the best Takeover ever (though that would be hard to choose). Still, it was an outstanding show. Baizsler was so good at selling the arm. Everyone short of Johnny Gargano should watch how she sold that. For me, the biggest downer was when Gargano got the barbed wire. I'm not a fan of blood and gore, but knowing WWE, you KNEW there wasn't going to be any blood, so obviously they were going to avoid using it. And they didn't.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 AM

Summerslam was actually pretty good. I wasn't on the edge of my seat the entire time or anything, but most of the matches were more interesting than not. Honestly, the biggest takeaway of the night is Bray Wyatt. His new mask is absolutely spectacular and the fact he wrestles in it is amazing. WWE won't do this, but he needs to never speak in this character and only do his talking through Firefly Funhouse segments and let this Fiend character do all the heavy lifting.

I miss Ambrose because Rollins is so boring and whitebread to me. I can't stand him being the face of the company and I wouldn't even mind Reigns to get back in the picture. I couldn't care less about Rollins/Lesnar and I couldn't care less about their rematch in Hell in a Cell in two months or whatever.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:37 PM

Notice whoever has the RAW belt becomes unlikeable?

Brock because he's gone most of the time.
Seth because he's boring.
Roman because he got pushed too much.
Goldberg because he's old.
KO because well, he's KO.

As over as Bray has become, even using his old head for the lantern, I can't see him having any matches longer than a few minutes. One, because his entrance takes a while, and two, because he probably has trouble breathing latex-spawned air and inhaling his own sweat stench.

Plus, the only main event-level babyfaces left to feud with is Braun Stroman. That could be interesting, actually. The two are traveling buddies and have been discussing angles to pass the time.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:57 PM

I watched a lot of SummerSlam last night, but the last few matches, I watched today.

Did anyone else have a problem near the end of the Lesnar/Rollins match in which the audio inexplicably switched to German?
Old 08-12-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Don't recall a language shift. I did lose HD for about 5 minutes - it was like when I first started watching wrestling over-the-air back in the 70s, but not in the nice, nostalgic way.

Definitely a watchable, if not entirely memorable show. I know, I know, I know Goldberg can't go more than 5 minutes, but give us 5 freakin' minutes please. I don't think that is asking too much. Good point about breathing for The Fiend; that looks hotter than the lucha masks. With Finn Balor expected to take some time off, they should feed Bray a mid/upper-mid card baby face or 3 before getting him into the top tier. As much as I'd like to see Strowman beaten by him, I don't see it happening. We don't know what brand he'll be on yet (if it really matters), but he can beat Rey Mysterio before building to facing Roman or Brawn. I'd keep him away from Ricochet, so that each can build.

Having said that, they'll probably job him out to Brock Lesnar next PPV, because...WWE.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Okay, I'll ask: how did WWE get away with trademarking the name Bubba Ray Dudley if he went by that name in ECW long before joining WWE? Note that, apparently, he still can't use it outside of WWE; when he co-hosts Busted Open, he is always referred to as "Bully Ray" (one of his Impact names).

It's not about being able to reassign the names (although didn't WWE do this with Doink the Clown?); it's about controlling the character, and the merchandising that goes with it.
Buh-Buh Ray and D-Von Dudley (all the Dudleys actually) were created by ECW to be used by certain wrestlers. When they left acrimoniously, Paul Heyman told them that he was giving them the rights to the names but never followed through with the legal paperwork. When the WWE bought ECW's assets, that included intellectual property such as characters, any original music, etc.
I'm assuming that wrestlers that come in under their own name have a limited rights deal that allow the WWE to control the name while that person is under contract and allow them certain rights in perpetuity while not giving up complete control.
Just my $.02 based one distant memories.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:38 AM

Don't know if any of you watch Letterkenny on Hulu, but there's a character in that show who would make a perfect wrestler character. Stewart, leader of the Skids, is a meth head who tries to intimidate people with his edginess and spectacularly fails. He wants to be Malcolm McDowell's character from Clockwork Orange. If James Ellsworth grew his hair shoulder length, dyed it jet black, and wore a top hat, that would come close.

I couldn't find any videos of Stewart at his best, but here's one of the actor discussing the role.

Speaking of Canada, thank you Toronto for chanting "Thank you Sasha" when she swerved on Nattie. They can't stand her daddy issues either.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:46 PM

Here's Stone Cold Steve Austin on "Hot Ones", where he shares wrestling stories while chomping down on hot wings of increasing intensity.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:43 PM

Here's my predictions for the King of the Ring tournament:

RAW bracket:
Samoa Joe d. Cesaro
Ricochet d. Drew McIntyre
Sami Zayn d. Cedric Alexander
Baron Corbin d. The Miz

SmackDown Live bracket:
Kevin Owens d. Elias
Ali d. Buddy Murphy
Chad Gable d. Shelton Benjamin
Andrade d. Apollo Crews

RAW Round 2:

Ricochet d. Samoa Joe
Baron Corbin d. Sami Zayn

SmackDown Round 2:

Kevin Owens d. Ali
Andrade d. Chad Gable

RAW Finals:

Baron Corbin d. Ricochet

SmackDown Finals:

Kevin Owens d. Andrade

Finals:

Baron Corbin d. Kevin Owens

Because WWE is going to continue to push Baron Corbin down our throats.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Here's my predictions for the King of the Ring tournament:
Finals:

Baron Corbin d. Kevin Owens

Because WWE is going to continue to push Baron Corbin down our throats.
In WWE's defense, BC has been off of TV since the mixed tag loss (along with Lacey Evans). But several sites are reporting that the plan is for BC to win, [sarcasm] because his feud with Seth Rollins went so well the first time. [/s] Personally, I love the tournament angle, and they should use it more often simply to choose title contenders. Then one could make KotR special by making it double elimination. The storylines write themselves. I'm surprised this isn't done more often. This isn't 1980. Even casual fans can follow a multi-episode double-elimination tournament with ease.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I'm surprised this isn't done more often. This isn't 1980. Even casual fans can follow a multi-episode double-elimination tournament with ease.
But can the crazy old man who stumbles in half an hour before airtime and rewrites the entire show follow it? That's the important question.
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

At the very least, King Corbin seems like it has more potential to be entertaining than TGI Fridays Corbin.

It also seems likely that we'll get an announcement tonight that NXT will be moving to 2 hours on USA network on Wednesday.
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
At the very least, King Corbin seems like it has more potential to be entertaining than TGI Fridays Corbin.

It also seems likely that we'll get an announcement tonight that NXT will be moving to 2 hours on USA network on Wednesday.
I don't think this would be a bad decision. It's certainly popular enough to be watched on the Network and 2 hours is just about the perfect length of time for a wrestling show.

Not for nothing: Was watching baseball on FS1 this past weekend and they did a live read for Smackdown coming this Fall
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

The possible drawback to NXT showing on USA is Vince stepping in because he knows how to program shows for them.

In other news, ‘Arrow’ Star Stephen Amell To Headline Starz Wrestling Drama Series ‘Heels’

He's playing the promoter/head heel of a fictional Georgia-based indie federation that he wants to make big.

What's remarkable to me is that prior to the internet, wrestlers were strict about kayfabe. Now that the secret's out, it's actually increased interest in wrestling and become mainstream, when the old school feared it would doom the industry.
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
The possible drawback to NXT showing on USA is Vince stepping in because he knows how to program shows for them.
NXT Champion Roman Reigns in three, two, one...
Old Today, 07:47 AM

RAM last night was actually decent. Dolph got destroyed for the zillionth time, but he looked awesome doing it and made Reigns look awesome. I love his new gimmick, and I hope he gets a surprise win over an A-lister sometime. Both Dolph and the Revival are making the most of the time they have left, assuming they still want to leave.

The best thing about the show was NO COREY GRAVES. Without his constant heel-enriched yammering, there were no distractions from the ring action, and Vic Joseph maintained a smooth level of interest without having to fake it. To be faaiiiiirrr, Vince is more the reason why Corey is so irritating, but Corey's absence made the show soooo much better.
Old Today, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Also, Vince wasn't present, which helped the announcing.
Old Today, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
RAM last night was actually decent. Dolph got destroyed for the zillionth time, but he looked awesome doing it and made Reigns look awesome. I love his new gimmick, and I hope he gets a surprise win over an A-lister sometime. Both Dolph and the Revival are making the most of the time they have left, assuming they still want to leave.

The best thing about the show was NO COREY GRAVES. Without his constant heel-enriched yammering, there were no distractions from the ring action, and Vic Joseph maintained a smooth level of interest without having to fake it. To be faaiiiiirrr, Vince is more the reason why Corey is so irritating, but Corey's absence made the show soooo much better.
Holy shit he wasn't? Well hot damn I might have to go watch this episode...

Why was he gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Also, Vince wasn't present, which helped the announcing.
Why was HE gone? And how do you know?