Old 07-14-2016, 10:56 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
That's pretty ironic.

And why don't you pit something truly evil like whatever inspired the mass murderer in Nice?
You are truly a troll, a moron, an idiot, a fool, and just an all-around jackass.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Quote:
That's pretty ironic.

And why don't you pit something truly evil like whatever inspired the mass murderer in Nice?
Are you in the wrong thread? This thread is about inbreds.
That would mean octopus is in the correct thread, wouldn't it?
Old 07-14-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
You are truly a troll, a moron, an idiot, a fool, and just an all-around jackass.
Sweet, simple Monty, please point on the doll where that mean flag touched you. It's funny how you are outraged by a flag but real problems aren't pit worthy.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
What rule/law/regulation "outside United States waters" prohibits merely flying the so-called "Jolly Roger"? AFAIK, piracy is determined by actions, not by displaying what is essentially a memento.
Somehow I have a hard time imagining anyone intends to open fire upon the USS Harry S. Truman in international waters citing 'intention to commit piracy'.
Quote:
Three distinct U.S. Naval Aviation squadrons have used the name and insignia of the Jolly Roger: VF-61 (originally VF-17), VF-84 (1955-95), and VFA-103. While these are distinctly different squadrons that have no lineal linkage, they all share the same Jolly Roger name, the skull and crossbones insignia and traditions.[1] After disestablishment of VF-84 in 1995, the Jolly Rogers name and insignia were adopted by VF-103, which later became VFA-103, the subject of this article. There has been only one squadron designated VF-103.[2]
Old 07-14-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Sweet, simple Monty, please point on the doll where that mean flag touched you. It's funny how you are outraged by a flag but real problems aren't pit worthy.
Hey, jackass; why didn't you happen to pit the killer in Nice before he killed those people?
Old 07-14-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
And to think I used to think you were a decent person that I had misjudged.

Look, moron. He didn't pit the guy in Nice because that hadn't happened yet. But he did actually pit the thing that inspired him: racism. The guy in Nice killed people because they were different than him.

That you would fail to get that I could understand. But then to belittle victims of child abuse in your attempt to attack the guy who rightfully called you out?

I'm done seeing your filth. Goodbye. May whatever god you believe in have mercy on your soul. You will need it.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Hey, jackass; why didn't you happen to pit the killer in Nice before he killed those people?
I just find it amusing you defend the flying of the Jolly Rodger as a memento yet every display of The Confederate Flag riles you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
And to think I used to think you were a decent person that I had misjudged.

Look, moron. He didn't pit the guy in Nice because that hadn't happened yet. But he did actually pit the thing that inspired him: racism. The guy in Nice killed people because they were different than him.

That you would fail to get that I could understand. But then to belittle victims of child abuse in your attempt to attack the guy who rightfully called you out?

I'm done seeing your filth. Goodbye. May whatever god you believe in have mercy on your soul. You will need it.
It's the pit. You might not have noticed but the deranged sort that frequent it aren't known for sensitivity. And what does God have to do with any of this?

Last edited by octopus; 07-15-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:20 AM

"It's like a traffic jam when you're already late

Cause black lives matter blocked the interstate

Its like 10,000 sticks when all you need is a match

to light the burning cross in your black neighbor's garden patch."

Quote:
Originally posted by octopus
That's pretty ironic.
Don't you think?
Old 07-15-2016, 03:11 AM

Quote:
I just find it amusing you defend the flying of the Jolly Rodger as a memento yet every display of The Confederate Flag riles you up.
Of course that's not what you said earlier as to why you're complaining, so we'll just continue to consider your honesty a tad lacking. The jolly roger isn't an actual flag used by racists to defend and glorify racism, so your so-called point, like you, is a failure.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
The guy in Nice killed people because they were different than him.
Oh, they finished the investigation then. Could you please link to it. I'd like to read it.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
It's taken this long for you to realize that? The rest of us caught on quite a while back.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
It's taken this long for you to realize that? The rest of us caught on quite a while back.
Not striving to be a hive minded, wanna be psychic, holier than thou dickhead is neither moronic nor trolling. Thinking the leftists on this board are capable of nuanced thought might be the former adjective.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:19 PM

Steve King says the Confederate flag on his desk is there because slavery was just a "small part" of the Civil War.

Of course, he also says that nobody was ever complaining about the Confederate flag till about a year ago.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:33 PM

Wait a minute...where's he getting his conservative talking points from? I thought the line was that slavery had nothing to do with the Civil War?? Something about blah blah state's rights, northern aggression, something like that.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I'll don't know about Monty, but I'll defend the flying of the Jolly Roger. RAISE IT BITCHES!!!
Old 07-15-2016, 10:11 PM

FTR, I sail under the Jolly Roger because, away from here, I'm a troll.

And because, before Betsy Ross, it was as close to a national flag we had.

Last edited by dropzone; 07-15-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
And because, before Betsy Ross, it was as close to a national flag we had.
No, we had the 1775 Continental Congress Flag (now called the Grand Union flag) before that. That was basically the Stars & Stripes design, but without the stars -- the British Union jack design was in the upper left corner canton where the blue field with white stars are now. (Quite similar to the designs of the flags of a couple dozen British Commonwealth countries.)

It was eventually replaced by the so-called "Betsy Ross flag" because it was too similar to the British flag. The story goes that one of the first times it was raised by US forces, the British officers who saw it thought that it's close resemblance meant that the colonial rebels were indicating their willingness to remain as part of the British empire (i.e., surrendering). So it was replaced by a new design.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Wait a minute...where's he getting his conservative talking points from? I thought the line was that slavery had nothing to do with the Civil War?? Something about blah blah state's rights, northern aggression, something like that.
Tariffs! You forgot the tariffs!

Now's a good time to refer to David Barton, that pseudo-historian who was called in to "consult" on Texas history texts. In the Blind Pig Finds Acorn Department, let's see what he actually wrote:

Quote:
A third example of historical revisionism involves the claim that the 1860-1861 secession of the Southern States which caused the Civil War was not a result of the slavery issue but rather of oppressive federal economic policies. For example, a plaque in the Texas State Capitol declares:

Quote:
Because we desire to perpetuate, in love and honor, the heroic deeds of those who enlisted in the Confederate Army and upheld its flag through four years of war, we, the children of the South, have united together in an organization called “Children of the Confederacy,” in which our strength, enthusiasm, and love of justice can exert its influence. We therefore pledge ourselves to preserve pure ideals; to honor our veterans; to study and teach the truths of history (one of the most important of which is that the war between the states was not a rebellion nor was its underlying cause to sustain slavery), and to always act in a manner that will reflect honor upon our noble and patriotic ancestors. (emphasis added)
Other sources make the same false claim, but four notable categories of Confederate records disprove these claims and indisputably show that the South’s desire to preserve slavery was indisputably the driving reason for the formation of the Confederacy.
Then he cited the actual historical documents proving his point--and probably used "indisputably" a few more times. The State Board of Education ignored him & recommended teaching that the Causes of Secession were States Rights, Tariffs & That Other Thing.

Hey, if we can waste time talking about the Jolly Roger, why not this? Yes, the Battle Flag was revived as an anti-Integration emblem; it stands for racism. (Most Texas commemorations of Our Six Flags use the actual Confederate Flag. Of course, most contemporary Six Flags images involve roller coasters.) But Secession is a dead cause (no matter what anyone claims) & the Old Confederates have no power. Of course they don't want to admit that their ancestors tried to destroy the Union (1) to protect their right to own human beings or (2) to protect the rich Southerners' right to own human beings. They lost.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:10 PM

"For example, a plaque in the Texas State Capitol declares: 'Because we desire to perpetuate, in love and honor, the heroic deeds of those who enlisted in the Confederate Army and upheld its flag through four years of war . . . '"

April 12, 1861 – May 9, 1865 -- four years?
Old 07-18-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
Sure sounds like four years (plus) to me.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:55 PM

Yikes! You're right, and they're right. I got trapped into the "fence post" trap. (Not for the first time.)

My blunder, my bad. If I meet the guy who engraved the monument, I'll shake his hand.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
"For example, a plaque in the Texas State Capitol declares: 'Because we desire to perpetuate, in love and honor, the heroic deeds of those who enlisted in the Confederate Army and upheld its flag through four years of war . . . '"

Well, what do you know, some Texans (and others) found a new-fangled way to "love and honor":

Quote:
Store owner facing death threats over anti-Confederate flag sign: 'Burn a rebel flag...get a free chocolate'.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
It's on government property. That's the stupid part here. Wear whatever belt buckle you like. Sport your classy 'stars-n'-bars' wife beater if it makes you happy. Fly massive flags from multiple mounts on your dually with the Back Off! Yosemite Sam mud flaps and trailer hitch testicles.

Keep the fucking rebel flag off of government flag poles.
I'd like to say this in a nicer way, but this is basically my position.

The Rebel Flag is not appropriate in the context of the US government, nor the context of the several states nor their subdivisions. It is racialized; it is divisive; it is associated with terrorism & violence. Due to its history of ties to violent politics, it seems even more inappropriate than if you put up a New Afrika flag or a Union Jack. Just don't do it.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peremensoe View Post
This was not a government flag pole. It was a privately-owned, temporary pole raised as part of a legal demonstration on public property. In terms of speech-regulation, it is equivalent to, for example, the large wooden signs erected on the National Mall by any number of different interest groups over the years.
Oh. Well, that's all right then.

I guess. OP's link is dead for me.

How old a zombie is this thread? Oy.

Last edited by foolsguinea; 08-07-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
He didn't get the memo.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
I'd like to say this in a nicer way, but this is basically my position.

The Rebel Flag is not appropriate in the context of the US government, nor the context of the several states nor their subdivisions. It is racialized; it is divisive; it is associated with terrorism & violence. Due to its history of ties to violent politics, it seems even more inappropriate than if you put up a New Afrika flag or a Union Jack. Just don't do it.
I agree. It was becoming - for a little while - a symbol for a kind of made up "Bo and Luke Duke good ole boy" fantasy story. It was becoming a symbol of a "glorious lost cause" or some such fake bullshit.

BUT all along it was the symbol of racism, slavery, armed rebellion, and treason. I see that now. Keep it off our flag poles and out of our state houses.

And now, in the present, it is becoming more (and accurately) associated with the Klan, Proudboys, "alt right", various Nazi groups etc.

I used to be in the "what's the big deal" camp. That has CHANGED.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Due to its history of ties to violent politics, it seems even more inappropriate than if you put up a New Afrika flag or a Union Jack. Just don't do it.
I don’t have a problem with someone flying a Union Jack. If someone is from the UK and lives in the US, and wants to show pride in where they came from that’s cool. I see Mini Coopers with Union Jack roofs all the time. It doesn’t have nearly the kind of history that the Stars and Bars does. And today it represents a nation that exists and is friendly with ours. Unless you hate the modern day UK for some reason (as an old IRA member maybe) I don’t see why you’d be offended.

Last edited by Atamasama; 08-10-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I don’t have a problem with someone flying a Union Jack. If someone is from the UK and lives in the US, and wants to show pride in where they came from that’s cool. I see Mini Coopers with Union Jack roofs all the time. It doesn’t have nearly the kind of history that the Stars and Bars does.
It... kinda does, though. Ask the Irish. Or the Indians (dot not feather). Or the Scottish. Or the Chinese. Or... you know what, it would be quicker to list those countries the British Empire hasn't violently oppressed and stolen from.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:46 PM

Ask a French guy if you want to know what bastards the Brits used to be

But that Texas protest sign gives me an idea. How about the ritualistic burning of Confederate flags becomes a standard feature of every Democratic rally and protest? Let's give a huge, sustained middle finger to Confederate flag sympathizers everywhere. Plus, free chocolate!
Old 08-10-2019, 01:54 PM

I know a southerner who would burn a Confederate flag for chocolate, I think. They like chocolate!
Old 08-10-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
Ask a French guy if you want to know what bastards the Brits used to be

But that Texas protest sign gives me an idea. How about the ritualistic burning of Confederate flags becomes a standard feature of every Democratic rally and protest? Let's give a huge, sustained middle finger to Confederate flag sympathizers everywhere. Plus, free chocolate!
But we need some Demon-crat Librul version of the "fuck your feelings" shirts too.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I know a southerner who would burn a Confederate flag for chocolate, I think. They like chocolate!
Is it Paula Deen?
Old 08-10-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
It... kinda does, though. Ask the Irish. Or the Indians (dot not feather). Or the Scottish. Or the Chinese. Or... you know what, it would be quicker to list those countries the British Empire hasn't violently oppressed and stolen from.
Like the French, who got their country back, twice, thanks to the Brits.

You started it.

Last edited by dropzone; 08-10-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:13 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
WWII, yeah. But which other time? Surely not WWI, when it was only by the valor of the french troops (who were ground into hamburger by the war machine more than anyone) that the Germans were stymied into starvation and eventual surrender.

The french military was the fiercest on the planet for centuries, and had the misfortune to be outflanked by the Nazis in WWII thanks largely to incompetent politically influenced leadership.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 08-10-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:21 PM

Yeah, but the Brits helped. Harumph!

ETA: At least I didn't give the Yanks all the credit.

Last edited by dropzone; 08-10-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:

You started it.
It's not like they did it out of the goodness in their tea-shrivelled hearts. I haven't forgotten about Joan of Arc. Or Mers-el Kebir. Just they wait .

Just being silly, of course. And I'm not saying my own country's slate isn't just as bloody. But that's why you'll never catch me waving no tricolore. Or any other flag, for that matter. 'Cept maybe a black one. Black's good. It goes with everything, especially more black.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
The french military was the fiercest on the planet for centuries, and had the misfortune to be outflanked by the Nazis in WWII thanks largely to incompetent politically influenced leadership.
*nod* as I said on another forum, that's why I've always chuckled at the whole American "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" trope, because France has been the warmongering in-your-face gaping asshole of Europe for as long as there's been a France. Or a Europe, for that matter. There isn't a country on the continent, not one principality or city-state we haven't declared war upon, invaded or at least marched troops through without asking permission first at some point. We've even committed grand theft Pope once.
We may talk all silly-like, but we've been self-important murder-happy bastards much longer than y'all colonials. We've become quite good at it.

Last edited by Kobal2; 08-10-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:57 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
We may talk all silly-like, but we've been self-important murder-happy bastards much longer than y'all colonials. We've become quite good at it.
Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire!
Old 08-10-2019, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Or... you know what, it would be quicker to list those countries the British Empire hasn't violently oppressed and stolen from.
You have to sort of respect that kind of commitment to playing the role of fookin' World Empire thoroughly, while maintaining a veneer of clubby style.

OTOH Confederate paraphernalia is symbolic of a culture committed to... losing? Going into murderous armed rage because the world is turning into something unlike grandpappy's world?

Quote:
France has been the warmongering in-your-face gaping asshole of Europe for as long as there's been a France. Or a Europe, for that matter. There isn't a country on the continent, not one principality or city-state we haven't declared war upon, invaded or at least marched troops through without asking permission first at some point. We've even committed grand theft Pope once.
When you weren't bothering to actually go TO Rome to provide him "protection", often ending up with him running out of town.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 08-10-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
*nod* as I said on another forum, that's why I've always chuckled at the whole American "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" trope, because France has been the warmongering in-your-face gaping asshole of Europe for as long as there's been a France. Or a Europe, for that matter. There isn't a country on the continent, not one principality or city-state we haven't declared war upon, invaded or at least marched troops through without asking permission first at some point. We've even committed grand theft Pope once.
and furthermore,

"I fart in your general direction!
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

Old 08-12-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
But you’re only as good as your last war!

The French, they are a funny race.
They fight with their feet and fuck with their.......
Old 08-12-2019, 01:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Texas is talking about succeeding again.
Succeed again? It didn't even succeed the last time!
Old 08-12-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
It's the wrong flag anyway. As most history buffs know, just before the end of the war, they replaced the stars and bars with an all-white version.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
But you’re only as good as your last war!
I thought the French won their last war?
Old 08-12-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Sigh:::: As they say in France, I give up.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Succeed again? It didn't even succeed the last time!
I don't know what you call it, but I call becoming part of the USA again a success. Only thing better than that is not seceding in the first place.

Last edited by scabpicker; 08-12-2019 at 11:11 PM.