Old 08-07-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
You know how every Republican and gun nut says "oh, you shouldn't politicize a tragedy" right after a shooting, as a way to stop discussion of gun control?

Have any of them called Trump out on his attempt to politicize the most recent shootings by calling for passage of an immigration reform bill?

Fuck this guy and fuck his supporters.
Damn right.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Trump and his Republican enablers want to start a race war. I don't even think they care much about the racism that much - only that a race war is the only path they can see to getting Trump re-elected. And that's all that matters to them.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
It's August in the Southern Hemisphere, too.

I think neither Kobal2 nor I are in the Southern Hemisphere, though. Unless the Hexagon has moved and nobody warned me, in which case global warming is worse than we thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Lord, how I wish nobody had corrected him and the tangerine turn actually went to Toledo.
To Imperial Toledo, to a meeting with VOX? "And there we were, in Tolido. Imperial Tolido, they call it. Very good, very good people, they call it Imperial Tolido, don't know why. Did you know this guy Caaaah-los, he was an Emperor? He was a Roman Emperor! And he was a Republican, nobody knows that!"

Last edited by Nava; 08-08-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:22 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
That's an awful thing to wish on Toledoans.

Hey, don't you think there's a reason "Holy Toledo" and "Holy shit" mean the same thing?

I kid. I kid.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's an awful thing to wish on Toledoans.
Well, Dayton's suffered enough already.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
PBS News Hour just saw the worthless piece of crap saying how he has ordered the FBI to identify all resources they need to combat hate groups, especially white supremacists. To quote the scum-sucking twerp: "Hate has no place in America".

FUCK OFF! The lousy lying lump of loathsomeness campaigned on hate, compliments white supremacists, and revels in bigotry.

Why is he still alive, let alone president?
Yeah, about that.....

https://www.thedailybeast.com/homela...elligence-unit
Old 08-08-2019, 10:10 AM

While we were looking elsewhere, and just to show he doesn't make empty threats:

ICE arrests 680 undocumented immigrants across Mississippi
Quote:
Elizabeth Iraheta was passing the Koch Foods [chicken] processing plant in Morton, Miss., on Wednesday when she saw immigration officials swarming outside and a helicopter overhead. Big silver buses lined the driveway and agents blocked the entrance gates.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers were sweeping through the workplace and rounding up all undocumented immigrants. By the day’s end, nearly 700 people would be arrested.

ICE raided seven work sites in six Mississippi cities on Wednesday, arresting hundreds of people that the agency said were undocumented. It was the largest single-state workplace enforcement action in U.S. history, The Post’s Abigail Hauslohner reports.

The raids were part of an investigation into illegal employment in the state, specifically at agricultural processing plants. Immigration officials would not tell The Post how many people they were targeting with the raid.
I'm sure regular citizens will be falling over themselves to fill those jobs, amirite? Because working in a chicken processing plant is a popular and highly desirable career path straight to the top.

Why Mississippi? Did they do something to piss off the president?
Old 08-08-2019, 10:28 AM

And certainly the companies will be prosecuted for providing those jobs. That was sarcasm.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:34 AM

What did Koch Foods do to piss off Trump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Racial discrimination against farmers
Koch has been accused of discriminating against black contract farmers and retaliating against those that spoke out. From 2009 to 2015 the company went from having contracts with four black farmers in Mississippi to having none. USDA investigators found “evidence of unjust discrimination” against black farmers by Koch.[2]

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission lawsuit
In 2012 the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission brought a class employment discrimination lawsuit against Koch alleging harassment of workers and discrimination based on national origin and race at Koch’s Morton, Mississippi plant.[4] The lawsuit alleged that workers were “subjected to touching and sexually suggestive comments, were hit, were charged money for normal everyday work activities” among other things.[5]

In 2018 Koch Foods paid $3,750,000 plus other relief to settle the case.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_Foods (founded by a Fred Koch, but not the right one) Joseph Grendys sounds like Trump's kinda guy.

Last edited by dropzone; 08-08-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
What did Koch Foods do to piss off Trump?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_Foods (founded by a Fred Koch, but not the right one) Joseph Grendys sounds like Trump's kinda guy.
Umm, dropzone, I read your quote and what in those actions would piss off Trump? He'd probably offer the guy suggestions, IMHO. (ETA: But in reading your post closer I think you know that already).

And it'll be interesting to see what effect it has in agriculture production in Mississippi if they have a major exodus of illegal immigrants due to this...

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 08-08-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:15 PM

Moi? I don't have a sarcastic bone in my body.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey, don't you think there's a reason "Holy Toledo" and "Holy shit" mean the same thing?
Careful. The erstwhile moderator UncleBeer lives in Toledo. And he owns guns.

Also, I hear the chili dogs are pretty good there.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
While we were looking elsewhere, and just to show he doesn't make empty threats:

ICE arrests 680 undocumented immigrants across Mississippi
I'm sure regular citizens will be falling over themselves to fill those jobs, amirite? Because working in a chicken processing plant is a popular and highly desirable career path straight to the top.

Why Mississippi? Did they do something to piss off the president?
What makes this so sick and disgusting have been the news stories that there are children who literally have no parents to go home to. People are volunteering to house and feed them, since nobody thought to account for the needs of the American-born kids of these immigrants.

Oh, and I note that something like 300 of the people have been released. Due process? Probable cause? Quaint concepts, I know.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.wa...outputType=amp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ms...sed/ar-AAFxapz
Old 08-08-2019, 08:41 PM

What's the reason that the owners of these businesses weren't arrested as well?
Old 08-08-2019, 08:48 PM
SDSAB

Trump, comforting the families of those who were shot to death in Dayton and El Paso, lies about two Ohio politicians and brags about how his crowd was bigger than Beto's: https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...and-attacks-on

Stay classy, Mr. President!
Old 08-08-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
What's the reason that the owners of these businesses weren't arrested as well?
They’re going to lose money. Why would you possibly want them to suffer more? Do you have no sense of humanity, man?!
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/manu...foods-millions
Old 08-08-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
They’re going to lose money. Why would you possibly want them to suffer more? Do you have no sense of humanity, man?!
Probably also because they're Anglos (what we call white around here). THEY'RE not illegal. Why should they be arrested? Use your head!
Old 08-08-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Oh right.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Umm, dropzone, I read your quote and what in those actions would piss off Trump?
He’s getting rich off all that undocumented labor, and he doesn’t let the guy who makes it all possible wet his beak? And the Big Man’s supposed to just suck it up, this disrespect? Matty*, Kevvie**, burn his operation to the ground.

* (Matthew T Albence, Acting Director, ICE)

** (Kevin MacAleenen, Acting Director, DHS)
Old 08-09-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
And certainly the companies will be prosecuted for providing those jobs. That was sarcasm.
Well, Trump isn't about to prosecute himself for providing such jobs:

Quote:
The Trump Organization has employed a group of Latin American construction workers — some undocumented — to build features at its properties around the eastern U.S. for almost two decades, reports the Washington Post.
https://www.axios.com/trump-organiza...2a888f69b.html

Quote:
Workers told the Post, however, that supervisors did not pay much attention to employees' immigration status.
“If you’re a good worker, papers don’t matter,” Castro said.

Luis Sigua, an immigrant who is part of the crew but did not share his immigration status with the Post, said some construction workers are undocumented.
https://thehill.com/latino/456868-tr...workers-report
Old 08-09-2019, 11:35 PM
SDSAB

EPA dropped salmon protection just a day after Trump met with Alaska's governor: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/09/us/ep...nvs/index.html
Old 08-10-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
EPA dropped salmon protection just a day after Trump met with Alaska's governor: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/09/us/ep...nvs/index.html
Yeah, I saw that clip. Trump political hacks are running the show, telling the scientists to basically shut the fuck up, and they seem to all be oil and mining connected guys who have an interest in getting rid of any regulations holding their industries back.

The EPA now equals the Environmental Pollution Agency.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
Yeah, I saw that clip. Trump political hacks are running the show, telling the scientists to basically shut the fuck up, and they seem to all be oil and mining connected guys who have an interest in getting rid of any regulations holding their industries back.

The EPA now equals the Environmental Pollution Agency.

Nah. It's still Protection. Just read it as any low-level mobster would use the word.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:40 AM

Listen, if Salmon feel so strongly about living in clean water they should have hired a lobbyist.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 08-10-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:28 AM
SDSAB

Trump blames the Clintons for Epstein's suicide: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/11/polit...ons/index.html

Sweet Jesus.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Trump blames the Clintons for Epstein's suicide: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/11/polit...ons/index.html

Sweet Jesus.
So that means Trump paid for it. Everything he blames others for is shit he really does.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Elephant Whisperer

The wife and I have decided that Trump is Michael Scott of The Office writ large.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
So that means Trump paid for it. Everything he blames others for is shit he really does.
Ummm, you really think that Trump *paid* for anything?
Old 08-11-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
The wife and I have decided that Trump is Michael Scott of The Office writ large.
Never watched the show (I know, I know) but didn't that character grow more likeable /relatable over the course of the series ? Because with Trump, it's really the opposite - the more you get to know about him the less likeable he becomes.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Ummm, you really think that Trump *paid* for anything?
So what happens when Trump hires a hitman? You know he'll end up stiffing 'Dmitri918Makarov', and that won't end well...
Old 08-11-2019, 09:52 PM

Does the man have a shred of dignity about him? https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...-japan-870252/

Quote:
President Donald Trump stirred up even more controversy by mimicking an Asian accent and mocking South Korean President Moon Jae-in and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe, the New York Post reported.
Quote:
Then, Trump mocked the South Korean president’s accent while talking about how he “caved in to Trump’s tough negotiations,” the Post wrote.
Quote:
Speaking about when he asked Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe whether kamikaze pilots in World War II were drunk or on drugs. Trump said, “Imagine they get in a plane with a half a tank of gas and fly into steel ships just for the love of their country!”
That'll go over sooooo well in S. Korea and Japan--then again, considering the tensions between those two nations, it might be nice to have someone in common to detest....
Old 08-11-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
So what happens when Trump hires a hitman? You know he'll end up stiffing 'Dmitri918Makarov', and that won't end well...

Dimitri submits the bill to his Russian Mob boss... who doubles it and passes it up to his controlling Oligarch*... who doubles it and sends it to Putin... who pays it and adds quintuple that to Trump's bill while laughing.

*Kudos to The Board: Only on the SDMB can you spell check a misspelling of 'Oligarch' and get asked if you meant to type "lollygag"...
Old 08-14-2019, 01:17 PM
SDSAB

Just the thing for Trump voters next year: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/..._AC_UL720_.jpg
Old 08-15-2019, 11:45 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Never watched the show (I know, I know) but didn't that character grow more likeable /relatable over the course of the series ?
I don't think so, no. Nor does the wife.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 08-15-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:49 AM

Frankly he's just exhausting. I was thinking yesterday about the influencing of Israel to ban Congresswomen, and I wake up today to find out he wants to buy Greenland.

I mean.. fuck dude, take a day off from doing batshit/stupid things.

It's like trying to drink from the firehose of stupidity.

Regards,
Bouncer-

Last edited by Bouncer; 08-16-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
Frankly he's just exhausting. I was thinking yesterday about the influencing of Israel to ban Congresswomen, and I wake up today to find out he wants to buy Greenland.

Regards,
Bouncer-
Yeah, the Greenland thing is just...weird. It's like he's become Grandpa Simpson and is going to propose that we get rid of three states on the basis that there are too many.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

The Greenland thing is because he supposedly wants to tack "added another state" onto his legacy. So why not make a state of someplace that's already a U.S. territory, like Puerto Rico or Guam?

Oh right... they're full of brown people.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Yeah, the Greenland thing is just...weird. It's like he's become Grandpa Simpson and is going to propose that we get rid of three states on the basis that there are too many.

I thought he already made that proposal, but with a different bias basis.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
The Greenland thing is because he supposedly wants to tack "added another state" onto his legacy. So why not make a state of someplace that's already a U.S. territory, like Puerto Rico or Guam?

Oh right... they're full of brown people.

I wonder if enough of us wrote in sent tweets to him, could we get him to try to make Hawaii the next state in the union? There are brown people there, of course, but not a majority. (Sadly, in Trump's view no doubt, whites are also in a minority there.)
Old 08-16-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post

Regards,
Bouncer-
I see this morning that the Danes aren't interested. Maybe he could trade them Puerto Rico for Greenland.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Maybe they should offer to buy back the Virgin Islands.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Maybe they should offer to buy back the Virgin Islands.
VIRGINS! That might get his attention for longer than the typical 30 seconds.

And Monty, yes, it would be fun to see if we could convince him to make Hawaii or Alaska a state.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:28 AM

How about New Mexico?

That should be a state. I hear they have a lot of Republicans there.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
How about New Mexico?

Seriously? It's full of drug dealers with large calf muscles and rapists. I don't think we want it.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Well, Trump isn't about to prosecute himself for providing such jobs:

https://www.axios.com/trump-organiza...2a888f69b.html

https://thehill.com/latino/456868-tr...workers-report
In large part, this raid was about sending a message to undocumented workers. That message is “If you complain about harassment and abuse and call attention to yourselves, you will feel the consequences. You’ll be deported and you might lose your kids”.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1UZ1OV
Old 08-16-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

NBC News:
Quote:
President Donald Trump made a rare move Thursday night — holding a rally in a state he didn’t win in 2016, New Hampshire.

:snip:

In a week when bond markets flashed what has historically been a major recession warning and the stock market had its worst day of the year to date, the president rolled out both his positive and negative economic pitches, again arguing that if he loses re-election, the stock market will plummet.

“You have no choice but to vote for me, because your 401(k) is down the tubes. Everything’s going to be down the tubes,” Trump said. “So whether you love me or hate me, you’ve gotta vote for me.”
Old 08-16-2019, 09:41 AM

Dude may have been born in Nu Yak, but he learned talkin' from watching the Sopranos.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:57 AM
SDSAB

Hey, we already know in what high esteem he holds New Hampshire: https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/05/us/ne...den/index.html
Old 08-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
How about New Mexico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Seriously? It's full of drug dealers with large calf muscles and rapists. I don't think we want it.
That was Old Mexico. This is New Mexico we're talking about.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:41 AM

If he wants to emulate Andrew Johnson, can we do the impeachment part instead?