Old 10-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Just tossing out a possibility, here, but: this thread's title is predicated on the idea that the guy is ignorant, right? And you're willing to conclude, in this post, that he's stupid enough to slip up and out himself?

Is it possible he just replied, not as the OP, but without realizing he was responding to a post meant only to refer to the original poster?...
Thanks for putting into words what I was thinking, but couldn't (or was just too lazy to try to) articulate.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Hilarious that Urbanredneck today inadvertently admitted to having a sock account. He admitted he is also Bruiser1036. Mods, take note.
Did anyone report that post to the mods? It was extremely obvious.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:44 AM

Yes, it was obvious. There is zero chance it was anything innocent.
Mods read the posts, and....yelled at the people pointing out he was admitting to having a sock account.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonAsh View Post
Mods read the posts, and....yelled at the people pointing out he was admitting to having a sock account.
Which is the right thing to do for any such accusations outside of The Pit.
I hope I wasn't the only one to report the problem to the mods.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Did anyone report that post to the mods? It was extremely obvious.
I thought it was something that could be explained by a misunderstanding rather than a sock account. It could be his admitting to a sock account, and maybe I missed something, but someone asked about the OP of a thread not returning, and UR replied that he had been busy. But since he had been active in the thread already, I think it's plausible that he was thinking maybe he started it, or that the comment was directed at him and didn't notice that it said the OP.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:09 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "troll"? Is it
(A) An intelligent person who pretends to be a right-wing moron so he can make clever, self-contradictory parodies of right-wing "thought"? Or is it just
(B) A right-wing moron writing like an imbecile to get attention, much like a baby who's delighted when it soils its diapers?

doorhinge and urbanredneck both definitely seem to be type B. I don't know any type A trolls on the Board now; the Mods may do a great job of Banning them when they show up.

Decades ago I sometimes amused myself by pretending to be an outrageous right-winger on Usenet. I got fan mail, and even an invitation to radio talk show!
Old 10-09-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "troll"? Is it
(A) An intelligent person who pretends to be a right-wing moron so he can make clever, self-contradictory parodies of right-wing "thought"?
So, Steven Colbert in his previous professional incarnation was a troll?

Last edited by QuickSilver; 10-09-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I think a troll in that type (A) sense has to include some attempt at deception. To that extent Colbert wouldn't really count as a troll because everyone was in on the joke.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
By any reasonable definition, yeah, I think so.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:23 PM

Well, Urby is no Colbert. So sock, troll, both or neither, he remains a deplorable ignorant bigot. At least until such time as he proves he's none of the above. No one is holding their breath, I'm sure.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:18 PM

There's no real restriction on what a troll actually believes. A right wing troll can be on the left and spoofing the right. Or they can be on the right but trying to piss off the left. A left wing troll can actually be on the right and spoofing the left. Or they can be on the left and trying to piss off the right. And, yeah, it requires a level of deceit. Colbert was very open about the fact he was playing a character, so he doesn't count.

I believe that Urbanredneck is on the Right. Those on the left pretending to be on the right tend to get little things wrong, or tend to slip a bit. He sounds to me like someone on the right who believes he is telling an exaggerated version of the "truth" to us liberals and getting a kick out of it.

I mean, on this board, trolling the right wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. He's trolling the left, which means he's probably not on the left.

Last edited by BigT; 10-09-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:41 PM

I see that our illustrious pal has now made an appearance in one of the gun debates in GD, where some thoughtful comments have been made by both sides. Urbanredneck chimes in with this gem of well-considered wisdom in support of guns, the kind of deep thinking that could only come from a towering intellect such as his own:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
I'm pro gun but for me, when I hold an AR-15 or other similar weapon I do get a kind of macho, Rambo like high.
I'm going to guess that Rambo imagines a Muslim at the other end of it, too, perhaps one of those scary women wearing a hijab. For those of us arguing in favor of gun control, the childlike transparency of his simple brain is a great help to making our case.

Last edited by wolfpup; 10-09-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
No. Colbert didn't create the character with the intent of people taking him seriously. Steven Colbert the character was a blatant, (should have been) over-the-top parody of Bill O'Reilly, developed for a comedy show that aimed at a demographic completely outside of O'Reilly's. People were never supposed to believe Colbert thought what he was saying was true any more than any other actor playing a role. The reaction he's going for is to laugh at the jokes and, preferably, realize the absurdity of what he's mocking.

This is completely different from someone like Alex Jones, or a message board troll.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:11 PM

Urbanredneck: Trifecta of ignorance.

I bet he's ugly, too, giving him a fourfer.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
No. Colbert didn't create the character with the intent of people taking him seriously. Steven Colbert the character was a blatant, (should have been) over-the-top parody of Bill O'Reilly, developed for a comedy show that aimed at a demographic completely outside of O'Reilly's. People were never supposed to believe Colbert thought what he was saying was true any more than any other actor playing a role. The reaction he's going for is to laugh at the jokes and, preferably, realize the absurdity of what he's mocking.

This is completely different from someone like Alex Jones, or a message board troll.
Stephen

That's all.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Randroid View Post
To that extent Colbert wouldn't really count as a troll because everyone was in on the joke.
Colbert was definitely not a troll, but I fear you are overestimating the intelligence of the conservative public.
Not hard to do, true.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:19 PM

Well, of course Trump isn't a cannibal, a skin walker like him sucks out the soul and throws the husk away!

Last edited by elucidator; 10-10-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:17 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Just tossing out a possibility, here, but: this thread's title is predicated on the idea that the guy is ignorant, right? And you're willing to conclude, in this post, that he's stupid enough to slip up and out himself?

Is it possible he just replied, not as the OP, but without realizing he was responding to a post meant only to refer to the original poster?

Because then everything would fall into place pretty much the same way -- he's stupid, he's ignorant, you name it -- but he didn't actually mention stuff from the thread's first post, prefaced by a brisk "as I indicated when I started this thread," because he wasn't accidentally admitting to being the OP; he was just being dumb.

I mean, yes, granted, it could've been the other thing, too. But could it have just been a guy who was too dimwitted to notice the part about "OP"? Or too ignorant to know what it means? Or whatever, so long as it's not proof positive of socking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Thanks for putting into words what I was thinking, but couldn't (or was just too lazy to try to) articulate.
I think we've found yet two more of Urbanredneck's socks.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
That sounds like something an Urbanredneck sock would say!
Old 10-11-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Well, of course Trump isn't a cannibal, a skin walker like him sucks out the soul and throws the husk away!
Trump isn't a cannibal, but only on the technicality that he isn't human.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are they both tall, white, and worn on the outside?
Old 10-11-2017, 11:44 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
That sounds like something an Urbanredneck sock would say!
So does that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Are they both tall, white, and worn on the outside?
Gah! Another one!

Note that Urbanredneck has not denied that Bruiser1036 is his sock. He seems to be hoping the kerfuffle goes away. I guess some posters are allowed socks and others not.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 10-11-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm guessing its because those education courses never fully prepare one to deal with inner city kids (meaning black). How does one teach to a high level when they wont do homework, wont listen, or wont even bother showing up for class?

Plus how can a teacher teach when you have the halls filled with truent students interfering with classes?

Oh, and just TRY and kick out the bad ones.
Just leaving this here.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Did you all see the new story out about how people have been posting on "Welcome to California" signs?

"Felons, Illegals, and MS13 members welcome":

LINK

You have to admit that it IS the truth.
From the Sanctuary City thread. I almost responded there, but I would not have been able to call him a fearful, ignorant asshole.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker View Post
You do the Left no favors by ranting like a loon.
Were you born retarded, or was it an acquired skill?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
Having an inkling of his actual living quarters, I kind of doubt he's an an urbanite.
Nope, suburb.

And I know I say this in every thread where his fuckery shows up, but please don't judge the rest of us in this area by him. He's batshit even by suburban KS standards.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:56 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katriona View Post
Nope, suburb.

And I know I say this in every thread where his fuckery shows up, but please don't judge the rest of us in this area by him. He's batshit even by suburban KS standards.
Him and Bruiser1036 both!
Old 01-19-2018, 01:59 PM

UrbanAsshat stokes pussy hat "controversy".
Old 01-19-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
UrbanAsshat stokes pussy hat "controversy".
I LOVED your comment, but I didn't want to post in that thread. It's only a few down and needs context so I won't re-post it here. But wow, I laughed.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Which is the right thing to do for any such accusations outside of The Pit.
I hope I wasn't the only one to report the problem to the mods.
And he's still here, verifying a little theory of mine: Right-wing trolls (or trolls who fake it well enough) get more of a pass, because if they were all banned, this board would be too Leftist for the mods to stomach. So as long as jackasses like Shodan, D'Anaconia, and Urbanredneck, who really contribute nothing positive, can keep from obvious meltdown, they'll be allowed to stay.

This is a subsidiary of a larger theory: The modern Republican Party is by and for trolls first and foremost, and has no consistent ideology beyond "Make Democrats Angry" at this point.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
And he's still here, verifying a little theory of mine: Right-wing trolls (or trolls who fake it well enough) get more of a pass, because if they were all banned, this board would be too Leftist for the mods to stomach. So as long as jackasses like Shodan, D'Anaconia, and Urbanredneck, who really contribute nothing positive, can keep from obvious meltdown, they'll be allowed to stay.

This is a subsidiary of a larger theory: The modern Republican Party is by and for trolls first and foremost, and has no consistent ideology beyond "Make Democrats Angry" at this point.
I have an even simpler theory: they're "allowed to stay" because they haven't broken the board's rules enough to warrant banning.

see how much easier life is when you think about what is instead of what you wish it is?
Old 01-20-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I have an even simpler theory: they're "allowed to stay" because they haven't broken the board's rules enough to warrant banning.
Eh, I wouldn't be allowed to get away with a sock.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
The fact he's a fan of Alex Jones/Infowars says it all.
Oh good grief. Anyone who believes THAT shit is just not worth listening to on any thing..
Old 01-20-2018, 02:07 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Indeed. Urbanredneck has at least one sock that was outed, and who knows if he's a sock himself.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I was unaware of that part.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:33 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I was unaware of that part.
See post #77 above for the name of said sock.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Oh good grief. Anyone who believes THAT shit is just not worth listening to on any thing..
A local conservative failed prospective city councilmember whom I formerly thought was tolerable re-tweeted something from Breitbart. I'm now glad she lost the election.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
What the fuck.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
He was an excellent troll. He trolled the Right and the Repubs so successfully, that Dubya invited him to speak at a function.

THAT's good trolling.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Randroid View Post
I think a troll in that type (A) sense has to include some attempt at deception. To that extent Colbert wouldn't really count as a troll because everyone was in on the joke.
Not everyone, see my comment above.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
He was an excellent troll. He trolled the Right and the Repubs so successfully, that Dubya invited him to speak at a function.

THAT's good trolling.
The president does not pick the talent for the White House Correspondents' Dinner. The White House Correspondents' Association does (or the committee of that association that's planning the event does, anyway). It's an independent body, not connected to the White House or government in any way other than reporting on them.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:48 PM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Indeed. Urbanredneck has at least one sock that was outed, and who knows if he's a sock himself.
I guess that under the rule that permits accusations of trolling in The BBQ Pit, one could be permitted to make accusations of sock puppetry, as well.

I am curious, however, whether you have ever reported your belief, preferably with evidence. And your post #77 did not actually accuse anyone of being a sock, simply of being a fellow traveler.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:43 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
I guess that under the rule that permits accusations of trolling in The BBQ Pit, one could be permitted to make accusations of sock puppetry, as well.

I am curious, however, whether you have ever reported your belief, preferably with evidence. And your post #77 did not actually accuse anyone of being a sock, simply of being a fellow traveler.
I did not report it at the time, because other posters already said they reported it. And although it does not spell it out word for word in my post #77 above that Urbanredneck and Bruiser1036 are the same poster, I will spell it out word for word now: Urbanredneck and Bruiser1036 are the same poster. I have spelled it out before too, just not in post #77, as I thought it pretty obvious by now.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post

I certainly reported it.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:10 PM
Mod Rocker

Fair enough. However, looking back over the reports, it appears that the evidence, such as it is, is a single post in which an ambiguous line suggested that the one was posting as the other. We are not "allowing" a sock to post. We are simply not running out to ban someone on sketchy evidence.
If someone finds strong evidence, feel free to report it.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
From my recollection of the event, there was more than a zero percent chance. To wing a number, I'd say there was a 15% chance that it was an innocent misunderstanding.

I would have thought the mods had access to IP addresses and could check whether it was not innocent, but to say "zero percent" isn't right.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:44 AM

Seeing activity on this thread, I figured that someone had posted this.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtC View Post
From my recollection of the event, there was more than a zero percent chance. To wing a number, I'd say there was a 15% chance that it was an innocent misunderstanding.

I would have thought the mods had access to IP addresses and could check whether it was not innocent, but to say "zero percent" isn't right.
When he didn't get kicked to the curb right away, I thought that was the obvious answer. URN is another useless conservative poster (we really do need more useful ones) and I'm certain every lefty hit report within two seconds of URN's post. But it feels better to play the butthurt role (hey, the right still does it even though they control everything) than to use Occam's Razor and simply connect the closest dots.

Also, be careful. When not 100% on board with them, you will also be assumed to be a sock of URN. So tomndebb and you are now also his socks. I know I already am, at least in the minds of some. At least, that's what they told me in that thread.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Seeing activity on this thread, I figured that someone had posted this.
This is my first post (long time dope peruser). I actually registered because that post made me so angry and I was considering reporting it. I've never really paid close attention to board moderation issues because I'm more entertained by reading than posting, and worthless posters are easy enough to skim over, so I'll ask the more knowledgeable people: does that post not violate the GQ rule about guesses, WAGs, and speculation? He even basically says he has no interest in providing evidence.

It's frustrating because I've been very into dinosaurs since I was a young kid, and here I was calmly enjoying a very interesting and informative thread with some great posts by very knowledgeable people, and then it's like I turn a corner and walk face first into that big pile of Triceratops shit from Jurassic Park. I was not expecting to see such a garbage post with no substance except a link to a garbage website.

And for fuck's sake, later on he starts the process of trying to turn an interesting thread into another tedious, moronic debate about evolution. I could give two shits about political trolling, but in a just world messing up a dinosaur thread should result in a god-damned instaban.

In all seriousness, is that post worth taking the time to report? Would anything be done? I've always had the impression that GQ has higher standards than the other sub-forums.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:46 PM

Nice to meet you, Rubric. There is no specific rule about saying ignorant things here, other than to expect to be corrected and likely mocked for it. Although if you are coming in from too far off left field in General Questions specifically, a moderator might tell you to knock it off. (There is a now banned poster who used to drop into threads to talk about his Near Death Experiences and his certainties about the afterlife and the supernatural, for instance, who often got told to knock it the hell off. (He was before my time here and I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone will quickly fill in the blank.))

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 01-22-2018 at 08:48 PM.