Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-2018, 04:10 PM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 19,396

Has anyone ever pitted WillFarnaby ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Thank goodness for collusion. If only “Great Leaders” through history would have colluded, the masses would have been spared much torment.

The idea that the charges in the indictment amount to anything more than trivial polliticking is a slap in the face to the armies of highly paid campaign consultants, seasoned “operatives”, and mass-broadcast pundits who participated in the election.

This is probably why there is so much anxiety in the mainstream and leftist media and those plugged into it. The idea that they and those like them are not pulling every string is definitely an existential threat to their dreams of domination. The “experts” think they were upstaged by the Unanointed.

The truth is, the vast majority of people just don’t care about what the political “experts” think.
We have the general jist of your peculiar economic philosophy, but where do you stand on Trump? The final three paragraphs seem fawning enough, it's the 1st paragraph that confuses me.

Can you restate the teaching of your 1st paragraph with little words? Gods forfend that we deign to put words in your mouth.
  #2  
Old 03-05-2018, 04:25 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 34,976
He's an irate and crazy person. I find it pretty pointless to respond to him -- he seems to bear considerable enmity towards anyone who he feels is working for the enemy (the enemy being any government or military organization).
  #3  
Old 03-05-2018, 04:48 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,513
Ask him about the Civil War and get some popcorn.
  #4  
Old 03-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 81,373
He's on the border of being delusional and there's no point if engaging him. His basic stand seems to be that when reality collides with his theories, then everyone should ignore reality and listen to Will's theories. Even if the rest of the world chose to embrace Farnabysim, we'd have a hard time doing so; Will has never been able to clearly articulate what his theories are. He just complains that the world isn't in compliance with them.
  #5  
Old 03-05-2018, 04:59 PM
Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Ask him about the Civil War and get some popcorn.
Too dangerous. I find him intensely boring, so there would be a significant risk of choking on a kernel when I dozed off in mid-bite.
  #6  
Old 03-05-2018, 05:04 PM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Farnabysim.
Like ew, ick.*

Flyer sock?


*and I just came out of the shower too
  #7  
Old 03-05-2018, 05:45 PM
Lemur866's Avatar
Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 22,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Ask him about the Civil War and get some popcorn.
According to him, the country went down the tubes because the wrong side won the Civil War. Or it would have went down the tubes, if it hadn't already went down the tubes when they illegally repealed the Articles of Confederation and replaced it with the tyranny of the Constitution.
  #8  
Old 03-05-2018, 05:57 PM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,535
So when exactly is he going to Farnaby, anyway?
  #9  
Old 03-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,778
My first encounter with him was in this thread -- he seems to be some sort of sovereign citizen type. They're always good for a laugh.
__________________
It’s not you, it’s your sports team.
  #10  
Old 03-05-2018, 06:06 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus is online now
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 51,366
I always thought of him as someone who fell in love with Libertarianism when he was 15 and never out-grew it, getting angrier and angrier the more and more reality diverged from his Sacred Beliefs. Eventually he slid into full-bore delusion and senility.
  #11  
Old 03-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Evil Economist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
His basic stand seems to be that when reality collides with his theories, then everyone should ignore reality and listen to Will's theories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
I always thought of him as someone who fell in love with Libertarianism ...
Checks out.
__________________
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing — from Pittsburgh to Parkland — had a link to right-wing extremism."
  #12  
Old 03-05-2018, 06:17 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,074
He's a slight variation on Starving Artist so you may as well pick just one to pit, in the name of efficiency.
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 03-05-2018 at 06:17 PM.
  #13  
Old 03-05-2018, 07:22 PM
QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,572
WillFarnaby is a delusional paranoid crank. I bet there's tin foil in his windows and a well stocked cellar, come the revolution commrades.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #14  
Old 03-05-2018, 07:54 PM
John DiFool's Avatar
John DiFool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 18,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
So when exactly is he going to Farnaby, anyway?
farn·a·by

/farn ə bē/

verb

To troll message boards while spouting conspiracy theory rhetoric in the tone of a demented decrepit asthmatic parrot (with a very bad case of halitosis).

"Will liked to Farnaby the Straight Dope Message Board when he had partaken a bit too much of that Ol' Smoky Moonshine."

Last edited by John DiFool; 03-05-2018 at 07:56 PM.
  #15  
Old 03-05-2018, 11:15 PM
watchwolf49 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 8,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
WillFarnaby is a delusional paranoid crank. I bet there's tin foil in his windows and a well stocked cellar, come the revolution commrades.
Oh dear ... do you think he's smart enough to ground the tin foil so it works? ...
  #16  
Old 03-05-2018, 11:35 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 81,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
He's a slight variation on Starving Artist so you may as well pick just one to pit, in the name of efficiency.
I don't see it. I might disagree with most of what Starving Artist says but at least what he says seems grounded in the real world.

Starving Artist might say that he supports Trump because Trump will stick it to the liberals. Now I might feel that that's a poor goal to pursue but I will concede that voting for Trump probably will see the liberals getting stuck.

Ask Will who he supported in the 2016 election and his response will be completely off the wall. He might not acknowledge that Trump or Clinton were even running or that an election occurred.

In a current thread on racism, Will appears to be denying the existence of white privilege. Now other people in the thread denied it as well. But their reasons were things like saying that racism no longer exists or that black people now have as much power as white people or that it's all a liberal myth. Will denied the existence of white privilege because he doesn't believe white people exist.

Now how are you supposed to have a meaningful discussion of racial issues with somebody who will come up with something like that?
  #17  
Old 03-06-2018, 12:50 AM
Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,774
These types of threads are why characters like Will Farnaby exist.
  #18  
Old 03-06-2018, 12:58 AM
crowmanyclouds's Avatar
crowmanyclouds is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... hiding in my room ...
Posts: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
I always thought of him as someone who fell in love with Libertarianism when he was 15 and never out-grew it, {...}
He shoulda picked the book with the orcs in it, amiright?

CMC fnord!
  #19  
Old 03-06-2018, 06:28 AM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I don't see it. I might disagree with most of what Starving Artist says but at least what he says seems grounded in the real world.
The similarity I've noted is the robotic repetition of their core assertions, regardless of any and all mitigating facts others bring to light. Occasionally, they can be pushed into saying things that are completely ridiculous but call them on it, and they'll express sincere belief in the obvious factuality of the ridiculous thing they've just said. Both of them are unsinkable rubber ducks in this regard, and pitting one is as fruitless as pitting the other.
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #20  
Old 03-06-2018, 07:46 AM
Baal Houtham is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Leaky Heart of America
Posts: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I don't see it. I might disagree with most of what Starving Artist says but at least what he says seems grounded in the real world.
. Will denied the existence of white privilege because he doesn't believe white people exist.

Now how are you supposed to have a meaningful discussion of racial issues with somebody who will come up with something like that?
Hi Nemo. That could be an ironic poke at the very common argument that racial prejudice is ridiculous because race does not exist. Or it could be real agreement with that position; I won’t try to analyze whether that stance is relevant in the linked thread—which I didn’t read.

I agree with your point that SA and WillF are different critters
  #21  
Old 03-06-2018, 08:11 AM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 21,422
He's a libertarian. Listen to him politely, smile now and then, thank him for his trouble, and forget whatever he says. He's harmless enough, he's just a libertarian.
  #22  
Old 03-06-2018, 10:09 AM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 81,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
The similarity I've noted is the robotic repetition of their core assertions, regardless of any and all mitigating facts others bring to light.
Okay, I'll agree with you on that one.
  #23  
Old 03-06-2018, 10:46 AM
Do Not Taunt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
These types of threads are why characters like Will Farnaby exist.
Wow, that was the most Farnabesque statement in the whole thread! Care to elaborate?

Last edited by Do Not Taunt; 03-06-2018 at 10:46 AM.
  #24  
Old 03-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
Wow, that was the most Farnabesque statement in the whole thread! Care to elaborate?
Ambivalid is playing SDMB: The Game, in which each thread is a mission and we're all NPCs. I'm a sassy hooker for some reason.
  #25  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
Wow, that was the most Farnabesque statement in the whole thread! Care to elaborate?
Seriously? Well that gets a wow from me too. Trolls troll for attention and irritation. What better validation of that than a multipage pit thread which combines it all in one go. C'mon.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 03-06-2018 at 01:17 PM.
  #26  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:18 PM
Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Ambivalid is playing SDMB: The Game, in which each thread is a mission and we're all NPCs. I'm a sassy hooker for some reason.
Boy, hush yo mouth.
  #27  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Do Not Taunt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Seriously? Well that gets a wow from me too. Trolls troll for attention and irritation. What better validation of that than a multipage pit thread which combines it all in one go. C'mon.
Well, see, now this is logic, which your original post lacked. Obviously, you thought it was implied, but I honestly had no idea where you were going with that.

That said, I'm not sure I agree with the logic. If the consensus of the board is that Farnaby is a troll, let's just ban him and be done with it. But if there's some reasonable chance he's earnestly posting his crazy thoughts, we should at least encourage him to be better at it. A pit thread is an attempt at publicly shaming him into doing so. Or at least letting people blow off a little frustration.
  #28  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
Well, see, now this is logic, which your original post lacked. Obviously, you thought it was implied, but I honestly had no idea where you were going with that.

That said, I'm not sure I agree with the logic. If the consensus of the board is that Farnaby is a troll, let's just ban him and be done with it. But if there's some reasonable chance he's earnestly posting his crazy thoughts, we should at least encourage him to be better at it. A pit thread is an attempt at publicly shaming him into doing so. Or at least letting people blow off a little frustration.
Ok, I've just consistently without fail seen nothing but 100% worthless posts coming from this pitee of ours. Nothing of substance, nothing but partisan jabbing, trolling, just general assholishness. If you disagree, show me something from him supporting that position.
  #29  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:45 PM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 32,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Ok, I've just consistently without fail seen nothing but 100% worthless posts coming from this pitee of ours.
Of his last 100 posts, only 2 were "quality posts". Not 100%, worthless, but close.
  #30  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Of his last 100 posts, only 2 were "quality posts". Not 100%, worthless, but close.
I'm dubious of even that claim. 😁
  #31  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:48 PM
QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Ambivalid is playing SDMB: The Game, in which each thread is a mission and we're all NPCs. I'm a sassy hooker for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Boy, hush yo mouth.

I believe the correct retort is: Shut your whore mouth!
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #32  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,774
WilFarnaby is what happens when you are raised as a child being fed an exclusively sweet, sweet libtard tear diet. His parents are really the unsung heroes here
  #33  
Old 03-06-2018, 02:02 PM
QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,572
Pretty sure his parents were Marxists. He's still rebelling for their love and attention.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #34  
Old 03-06-2018, 03:19 PM
Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,774
Pretty sure he killed his parents.


ETA: obviously

Last edited by Ambivalid; 03-06-2018 at 03:20 PM.
  #35  
Old 03-06-2018, 03:58 PM
andros is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dejagore
Posts: 10,568
nc
.

Last edited by andros; 03-06-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: too much of a reach for a lame joke
  #36  
Old 03-06-2018, 04:25 PM
Do Not Taunt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Ok, I've just consistently without fail seen nothing but 100% worthless posts coming from this pitee of ours. Nothing of substance, nothing but partisan jabbing, trolling, just general assholishness. If you disagree, show me something from him supporting that position.
To be clear, I've never seen a valuable post from either. But I have no idea whether he holds his ideas earnestly or not.

The pattern I've usually seen from him is a drive-by post, which I'd say 50% of the time just gets ignored, since it contributes so little. If he's a troll, he's pretty bad at it. The good ones stick around and really rile people up. Farns just can't be bothered.
  #37  
Old 03-07-2018, 04:49 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwolf49 View Post
Oh dear ... do you think he's smart enough to ground the tin foil so it works? ...
Nope!
  #38  
Old 03-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
I have no idea whether he holds his ideas earnestly or not.
If he holds any ideas earnestly, it's the idea that trolling is easy.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 03-07-2018 at 05:00 PM.
  #39  
Old 03-08-2018, 10:13 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 19,396
It would be interesting to meet WillFarnaby in real life. He might be a likable intelligent-seeming guy ... until you start talking about economics or politics.
  #40  
Old 03-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Greathouse is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Ambivalid is playing SDMB: The Game, in which each thread is a mission and we're all NPCs. I'm a sassy hooker for some reason.
Oh don't be coy...you know why.
  #41  
Old 03-08-2018, 03:46 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
WilFarnaby is what happens when you are raised as a child being fed an exclusively sweet, sweet libtard tear diet. His parents are really the unsung heroes here
... or home schooled by the John Birch Society
  #42  
Old 03-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,774
nm too stupid

Last edited by Ambivalid; 03-08-2018 at 04:01 PM.
  #43  
Old 06-04-2019, 02:34 PM
QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,572
Delusional crank is back.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #44  
Old 06-04-2019, 03:53 PM
Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 26,276
The one thing about him that really throws him off his "type" is that he isn't living in some shack in Idaho, or with his white brothers in an encampment on a Civil War battleground -- excuse me, a battleground of the War of Northern Aggression.

He has said before he lives in Baltimore. Which is fascinating to me.
  #45  
Old 06-04-2019, 04:58 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,455
I still say something happened to him after Trump was elected. We never agreed before, but I at least remember his attacks on me being coherent.
__________________
sig for testing purposes only
  #46  
Old 06-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
He's on the border of being delusional and there's no point if engaging him. His basic stand seems to be that when reality collides with his theories, then everyone should ignore reality and listen to Will's theories.

TBF that's mine too, but my theories tend to be more benign. Mostly they revolve around our communal need for another drink wot you oughta pay for because... let me get my diagrams real quick...
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
  #47  
Old 06-04-2019, 05:20 PM
HMS Irruncible is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,289
Wholly endorsed. He's a gum-flapping dingdong.
  #48  
Old 06-04-2019, 05:26 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I thought his performance in that thread was remarkable in that every single thing he said was not just factually wrong, but pretty much the humorous diametric opposite of reality. And he certainly said a lot of words in that thread, buzzing around in it like flies around dog shit. But that was before I noticed someone's comment upthread about one of Farnaby's own threads, wherein he shows us that taxation is extortion. That one is even more entertaining.

No wonder the guy is so hostile and bitter. He occasionally must have to leave his fortified survivor shack and go out into the real world, and that cannot be a pleasant experience for him. There are laws to be obeyed and government oppression everywhere! I can't even imagine what he goes through when he has to file tax returns. Probably heavy doses of Valium and anti-psychotics.
  #49  
Old 06-04-2019, 06:13 PM
HMS Irruncible is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I still say something happened to him after Trump was elected.
In fairness you could say this of pretty much anybody.
  #50  
Old 06-04-2019, 06:21 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,536
WillFarnaby. I remember that time that he contributed a thoughtful, convincing idea to a thread. Ahh, memory lane.
*needle being dragged across a record sound effect*
Ha, ha ha. I kill me. Of course that shit never happened.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017